TER Book Club

For everything outside of TER.
BadKnight

Re: TER Book Club

Postby BadKnight » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:17 pm

Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time saga is quite fantastic, in it's own right. If you're looking to be engaged for a while and invest yourself in a world, I'd definitely recommend this series.

Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of The Wind and the sequel are also fantastic and detailed. I want to say it's called the King Killer Chronicles.

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Robin Hobb, I would agree. Also Zelazny, since his novels are fantasy even if the look like SF, or the other way around. The last symbolist. And Moorcock and J. V. Jones for somewhat darker sentiment.

BadKnight

Postby BadKnight » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:11 pm

I knew Garth Nix sounded familiar. I read the Seventh Tower books. I agree, very much so, that they are YA. I read through them quickly in high school. They're unique, if not spectacular.

Also, although I'm certain by now most are familiar with it, A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin is a must read.

Mentfrost

Postby Mentfrost » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:26 pm

The Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McClellan was an excellent read, it's basically the French Revolution with magic.
There's also a ton of extra novellas and short stories out there that I haven't read because they're not released in book form in Australia but I'm sure they're great too.

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:53 pm

BadKnight wrote:Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time saga is quite fantastic, in it's own right. If you're looking to be engaged for a while and invest yourself in a world, I'd definitely recommend this series.

Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of The Wind and the sequel are also fantastic and detailed. I want to say it's called the King Killer Chronicles.
The two disclaimers on these is that both of these are reaaaaaaly highly contended and have strong bases that both love them and really don't get why other people do. I'm the latter for Wheel of Time and in the former for KnigKiller (Ahem, read it Copper, it's been years!).
Wheel of Time is really long and to a lot of people unfulfilling until they got Sanderson on it, and Name of the Wind is gorgeously written, good prose, but a lot of people argue that the main character is as Mary Sue as they come because he's immediately good at everything.

The one really long book series that I do still like and follow is Dresden Files. It's pulpy, modern noir style magic. Very episodic, easy reads that all tie together with a really cool world behind them.
I also despised Malazan Book of the Fallen, but a lot of people have the exact opposite reaction to it. It tends to be a very divisive series.

Mentfrost

Postby Mentfrost » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:45 am

Silver Snow wrote:
BadKnight wrote:Name of the Wind is gorgeously written, good prose, but a lot of people argue that the main character is as Mary Sue as they come because he's immediately good at everything.
That's totally the point though, he's this amazing prodigy who kicks ass at everything but at some point in the future clearly ruins everything because he thinks he's so good.