Sarshel - A Request at Court

For out-of-game events, wrapping up in-game adventures and rumours.
Copper Dragon

Sarshel - A Request at Court

Postby Copper Dragon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:39 pm

After the Vlasta Slasher's trial, Artemis D'Assanthe would approach the Royal Palace at the next earliest time that the city's lords, or their Royal Heralds, held a public audience. In some countries and regions this was regularly done; Artemis would have inquired of this possibility in Sarshel. If such open audiences are not held at court, she would request an appointment in urgency: She would use what familiarity she has with nobility (Knowledge Nobility 8) to garner the attention of either War-Captain. If these, too, fail, it would be a letter that she sends. An alternate version would be read aloud at the city square.

Artemis seems to favour a public appearance over the written word.

Should a manner of audience be granted, she would come to the fore in finery, with faith and prayer her foremost preparations. She had requested her patron god today for Splendour and Wisdom to better formulate her speech - for a speech she would like to give, indeed.

The High Dawnlord would gather a moment before she'd begin, articulating and gesturing pristinely.

"Mine esteemed Lord,

I wish to speak of the sentence on the criminal ser Merney Valroc.

I plead for a repeal: from either Lord Silaunbrar, Lady Rilaunyr, or His Three-Blessed Majesty the King. You so divinely appointed by the gods and the Triad; I beseech you hear me, a servant of goodly Lathander, He who is allied to your faiths; hear me, I who am loyal to Impiltur.

I plead for a repeal.

No excuse exists for the deed. Manslaughter is a sin before our gods and thus before our laws. In his verdict, Lord Silaunbrar drew on wisdom and steeled decisiveness both. But not all has been said, not all has been remembered for this case. Next to sin, in this man lie also the stoicism of Tyr, the compassion of Ilmater, and above all the unbound loyalty of Torm; the willingness to serve and to fight for a just cause.

Has Merney Valroc not stepped forth to repel monsters and goblinkin from your Royal Road? Has he not expressed a wish to join the Warsword, to fulfill a purpose in this nation's ranks? Has he not entered the Temple of the Triad on the 7th to confront Evil?

Has he not sought a riverside lord's lost possession and returned it without accepting a reward? Has he not supported with steel and deed those that fought the accursed Everwinter's source?

Has he not heeded the holy request to find Father Cammor Deshmrik of the Even-Handed, so that he may aid in restoring the Temple and Heart of Sarshel? Has he not stood on the front against the Flaming Prince and its minions?

Has he not come to this city's very gates, willingly, to face judgement for his crimes?

Has he not?"

The priestess would have paused and looked at those around her, if any.

"Murder is a vile sin before our gods," she repeats firmly, "and ser Merney Valroc of Sarshel must pay for his crime.

In doing so I plead: choose progress, not annulment. Improvement, not equasion. Redemption, not retribution. The life that has been taken cannot be given back but the lives that yet remain, we - and he, - can protect; he can serve them. Ser Merney Valroc has come to the city accepting what fate you may mete upon him. He has admitted his wrongs and wants to repent.

In all his time upon Impilturan soil, this man sought only a role to fulfill. One that he has failed to find or we have failed to give him.
But embracing a role at all, he can do best with what the gods have given him; with his two hands.

Let him submit to penance, and grow into the new man that the years have always tried to keep him from. I plead, may his sentence be three-fold:

First, the Lord's sentence of priestly revival being prohibited must remain.

Second, take from him - not that which enables him to find salvation, his hands; but that which could hold him back: the sword touched by grief. 'Twas a final gift from a friend and he has worn it as testimony of his appreciation for her. But, as has been alluded, wielding the blade may have driven him to commit a crime he would have otherwise never done. Mold scabbard and sword together and mount it on a wall; so he may never draw the weapon that has tampered with his mind.

Third, may he take responsibility for the family he'd scarred, and may he prove himself dedicated to community and nation. He should spend one month's length each season at the afflicted family fulfilling the victim's former tasks. The remainder of each season should be dedicated to the betterment of Impiltur in ways you deign fit or according to the tenets of the Triad and Lathander. He would serve the family for one year and one day, or until the family forgives him; whichever is longest.

The Lathanderite priestess was nearly finished. She would pause only long enough for the three points to sink in before she made her conclusion.

Where there's injustice, we of the goodly gods fight. Some will do so to punish, others to change the course of events. Let us change this man's future, and let us change meaningfully; let that not be done by slashing with a sword.

I plead that from death come life: as is Lathander's credo. A life dedicated to justice, compassion and obedience, as is the Triad's will in Impiltur."
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)