Someone's hiring in the local Two Swans dive

For out-of-game events, wrapping up in-game adventures and rumours.
CluelessNoob

Someone's hiring in the local Two Swans dive

Postby CluelessNoob » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:22 pm

Word has it that a young woman, no older than in her mid-twenties, with dark red hair has been approaching men and women alike in the Two Swans tavern. It's said that she offers good sums of coin to any who appear used to hard labor. Those armed with weaponry and or told to have experience in combat appear to be preferred. If any took her up on her offer remains to be seen.

CluelessNoob

Re: Someone's hiring in the local Two Swans dive

Postby CluelessNoob » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:44 pm

There's talk the woman intends to form some manner of company. Protection is said to be a service offered, and good pay is told to be a promise.

CluelessNoob

Postby CluelessNoob » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:04 pm

The woman appears to go by the name of Drusilla. Some folk in the dockside bars of Sarshell say her to be ambitious, but most would call her insane, because of her plans to delve into the nearby ruins and monsterous lairs in search of magical artifice, wealth and study.

Others say she is a gentle soul, only looking to make the roads around Sarshell safe once more for travellers. That she seeks to increase trade and means the best.

Whatever may be the case, it's certain she's bound to attract types and candidates for both of the stories told.

Kilaana
Administrator, Builder, DM

Postby Kilaana » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:39 am

An elderly man, garbed in plain tattered robes and smelling none too clean, approaches the young woman one evening. He walks with a distinct limp in his shrivelled right leg, where disease has ravaged most of the muscle. With a grimace of pain he is unable to hide, he maneuvers himself onto the bench across from Drusilla, the cowl of his robes slipping to reveal a balding pate speckled with unsightly brown age-spots.

"You must be the one they call Drusilla." He asks slowly, knobbed hands clasping and unclasping restlessly. Around his left wrist tied several times over is a thin, faded red cord. "I don't need your coin, nor am I needing any. But it's been three winters, and I figure it's about time I pay my respects to my predecessors."

He reaches into the sleeve of his robe, withdrawing a small vial filled with a clear liquid, its cap sealed with yellowed wax.

"I'd go myself, but it feels like knives every time if I so much as move. Just a small favour, if you will. Consecrate the grave of my brother in faith with this holy salve, so that he may rest easy. They've kept him with the others, in one of the mausoleums near Sarshel. You can't miss it, they've carved him with his sword. The one that is said to have felled a hundred Dark Ones, and then two hundred more."

In the other palm, he presents Drusilla a different bottle, filled with liquid in a strange hue. "Payment in advance, if you will take it. Might save your life some day
."

((DM's note: Drusilla may roll the appropriate skill checks as she sees fit for the situation and post the results here.))
“Violence is the mark of the amateur.” ― Garrett, Thief: The Dark Project

Kallian | Delorwyn Lle'quellas | Wilhemina Alencar | Zalika Maszim Zartusht
Cedric Lesàre

CluelessNoob

Postby CluelessNoob » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Spoiler:
Drusilla rolled the following skills, in the hopes of gaining the following information:

Sense Motive 12. She would inquire as to why he picked her specifically for this "easy task" and try to figure out if the man appears genuine?
Local Lore 13/Arcana 25/Dungeoneering 11/History 23. Would she know anything of this graveyard/mausoleum other than the man tells her? Can she make anything out about the bottles? Would she know the name of this local legend?

Kilaana
Administrator, Builder, DM

Postby Kilaana » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:00 pm

At Drusilla's question, the old man stares at her with an inscrutable expression. When he finally speaks, there is a glint of amusement in his grey eyes. "So that's how the world goes now, does it? You must be as spectacular as I thought, if my request seems too easy on you." He regards Drusilla with an appraising look.

He leans a little closer, a shadow falling across them both as a waitress passes by with a full tray. 

"You're wondering why I came to you. I've seen the world a few times, and I am of the opinion that women are a lot more attentive than men when it comes to details. Besides, out of all the ones around here, you look the least stupid." He states quite frankly. "I can at least respect a woman who sells something else other than her tits for coin."

Upon closer look, one of the vials he clutches contains a roiling, gleaming multi-coloured sheen over a black liquid. The aura it emanates feels difficult to pinpoint, but if Drusilla had to take a guess, it would involve alteration magicks, of which its reagents would be associated with living entities, not objects. The imbiber would have to expect radical changes, but the exact nature and their extent would be impossible to be fully identified. Above all, this little potion would be a rare find, and imbibed or not, would perhaps fetch a good price somewhere. The other vial held a clear potion, for all she knew it could simply be as the man said - blessed water.

Drusilla hadn't been in Impiltur long, but if Sarshel was like the last city she'd left, then the correct assumption would be that they buried their dead outside city walls. The poor seldom could afford anything more than a wooden coffin; only the rich and noble had theirs entombed in stone. She recalled a brief conversation with a merchant named Miliks along the docks the other day. He had been trying to rouse her interest in a helmet, which he vehemently believed had once belonged to a long-dead knight named Audouin, who was said to have found his end at Sarshel's gates. Miliks turned up the visor, showing off the engraved symbol of a heart crowned with a bleeding circle of thorns.

"There's no need to frown so, girl." The old man plucks at the red cords around his wrist. "I merely need someone who has their wits about them. That grave needs consecration, because the dead are restless. And don't go thinking that sword is magickal or somesuch, because I have no illusions that it is."

He taps the side of the vial containing the clear liquid.

"But it is precisely why I need someone like you. The consecration purifies that which is unholy, and leaves behind what is good. You'll find a few emeralds and rubies on that sword once you're done, but bring me back the crest on the pommel. And we'll call it a day."
“Violence is the mark of the amateur.” ― Garrett, Thief: The Dark Project

Kallian | Delorwyn Lle'quellas | Wilhemina Alencar | Zalika Maszim Zartusht
Cedric Lesàre

CluelessNoob

Postby CluelessNoob » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:39 am

Drusilla offered a faint smile at the man's remark about respecting a woman. Although it remains unclear if she was actually entertained or if she put on a fake smile.

Her eyes scanned the bottles briefly, nodding toward the man.

"What is your name? And how do I reach you? I'll gather some of my fellows and get the job done." She simply states.