Weathered Journal of Lucien Dubhghlas

For character backgrounds and journals.
CelticWolfhound

Weathered Journal of Lucien Dubhghlas

Postby CelticWolfhound » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:19 am

Month 4, Day 17

I may have had a bit to drink, sure… but nothing that should have impaired my judgement.

I found myself a bit too drunk the other evening after sharing wine with a few friends in honor of the late King’s passing. Ended up following a trade caravan to a nearby city that I can’t even remember the name of. Following that little ‘adventure’, I had decided to be a bit more responsible with my decisions regarding alcohol. (If only to not make myself look so bad to the folks I was starting to become friends with.)

I was strolling through the Docks district with very little on my mind, save for an empty stomach and a tired body. Don’t have much to my name, but I managed to charm my way into a drink or two at the Glory, a nice little place near the town square, and in my celebratory state, decided to explore this city that I had found myself settling down in.

The evening was uneventful at first. Plenty of folks out and about, but none that I had met in the past. Tried to hit the normal spots that I find ‘em congregating at, but didn’t have much luck. Decided it may be worth checking the Dockyards. Plenty of noise coming from that area, anyway, I figured.

Big damned mistake, on my part.

I smiled at a few townsfolk, women hanging their laundry and chasing their children… and I guess I wasn’t paying much attention as I got to the shadier side of the dockyards. I rounded the corner, and took a club to the face. (Why the face? It’s practically the only thing I have going for me!) Four assholes immediately took to beating on me, going through the pouches on my gear. They took a few trinkets that I had found… but when they realized I was about as poor as they were, they cursed me, kicked my ribs a few more times, and ran off.

I laid there for who knows how long. Bleeding in the snow in some forgotten corner of a dockyard in a city I barely recognized. I thought of home in that moment. Thought of Caer Calidyrr, and of the mistakes I had made when I was young(er) and stupid(er). Of the priest when he took me in, and of the promises I had made.

“Praise the gods, you’re still alive!”

I opened my eyes to see a young woman leaning over me, checking my wounds with a concerned look on her face.

“It looks like they gave you a good ol’ goin’ over, friend. Let’s get you out of the snow and take a look at what we can do.”

She helped me to my feet, struggling under the weight, as I wasn’t much help at first. We hobbled on down the street (worth noting that not a damned soul helped us on our way) towards a tavern where she served at. When we arrived at “The Belle’s Bottom”, I have to say it wasn’t exactly impressive. It’s a beat-up, run-down tavern, full of drunks, mercenaries, and sailors.

And those drunks, mercenaries, and sailors were the first (and only) ones to help the young lady get me through the door, and to a seat in the back room where she could look over my wounds. They showed concern, where it wouldn’t be expected.

“Now, I ain’t no healer, so I doubt I can do anything to fix what’s broken, Mister…”

“Lucien.” I had said with a wince. “You can call me Lucien.”

“... Mister Lucien. Well, like I said, can’t fix it… but I can give you something for the pain.”

And she proceeded to hand me a couple of glasses of Whiskey.

Like I said, I had tried to be responsible. This stuff just keeps running to me, it’s not the other way around.

I downed the glasses, thanked the nice young lady, and asked if there was anything I could do to make it up to her. Told her I didn’t have much coin (obviously, considering the circumstances I had met her under) but I would be glad to repay her kindness in any way I could.

She smiled, and went into the other room to speak to someone. It felt like hours had passed before she walked in, holding a belt filled with tools and set it on the table next to me.

“Welcome to the Belle’s Bottom, Lucien. We’ve been looking for someone to replace our old handyman, and considering there ain’t been nobody trying for the job in months… I’d say you’re our best bet.” She grinned, looking quite pleased with herself, and turned to walk out of the room, speaking as she went.

“I’m Salina, and you’re welcome. Hope you can take care of yourself!”
Lucien Dubhghlas - "Hells, I'm twice the man I once was, but half the man I'm meant to be."