♞ The Two-Faced Coin

For character backgrounds and journals.
Ataraxia

♞ The Two-Faced Coin

Postby Ataraxia » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:34 pm

“Tell me, tutor,' I said. 'Is revenge a science, or an art?”

Cloak & Rapier. Ankle Boots & Tights. This Athkatlan traveler lounged about with an acrobat's grace and a dead man's discretion, led by an idle curiosity that tugged him left and right to find distractions in the world that surrounded him. The essential care he gave his appearance made him approachable and open, with a vast arsenal of social etiquettes to grace different environments.

He had an athletic physical build covered by dusky skin and the hands he often used to accompany his spoken words were deft, with one of them, his left, sporting a wedding band of solid gold around the ring finger.

Narrow pupils made his green irises stand out, capable of expressing a wide spectrum of emotions without requiring the rest of his face for emphasis. His most common were impishness, fatigue, and nostalgia which more often than not were crowned by a subtle but present smile that came easily to him.

Around his neck hung a two-faced coin.
Last edited by Ataraxia on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ataraxia

Ripples Below

Postby Ataraxia » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:39 pm

Free-falling in the dark, there was no light to shine off the silver that turned and turned on itself. No one to witness the immense weight that it carried or the warm blood that clung to its rugged surface. Insects crawled into the damp holes that littered the uneven stones of the tunnel, quietly shying away from the tumbling metal and the wish it symbolized, and a sound brushed against the frozen silence when the coin was submerged in the distant depths of the pit. The two faces drowned, their tears of blood melting in the waters as the wind dripped from above and carried the hopelessly hopeful whispers of a lost and wounded soul.

“Doom arrived in search of me. I don't know, I don't know where it came from. From within? From a face I did not know. No, they were not voices - they were not words nor silence - but from a street I was summoned, from the clutch of night, abruptly from the others among violent fires where my flesh burned. There I was without a face and it touched me.

I did not know what to say, my mouth had no way with names; my eyes were blind; something started in my soul. A fever or forgotten wings, and I made my own way, deciphering that fire, and I tossed a coin into the well.

So please, won't you help me Assuran?
Help me not to seethe, for I burn from within.
Avenge me.”

The void turned its eternal gaze upward, tendrils reaching patiently to wrap themselves around the silhouette, which stood on the edge, in a cold and true embrace. The siren’s voice that seeped into the beggar’s mind lulled her tears away.

The darkness was welcoming. The wish had been granted.

Ataraxia

The Green Stain (I)

Postby Ataraxia » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:44 pm

Mornings in the City of Coin were both ripe with promises of plump coin purses as well as headaches and laughable regrets of the night before but at the Wondrous Widow, the ladies of the night were still sound asleep behind thick curtains keeping away the sunlight to cast a cool shadow over every corner of the brothel. Madame Naldore, the owner, was of course always up at first light to visit Waukeen’s Promenade and purchase only the fruits and delicacies of the highest quality to spoil her dear swans so they may begin the day – or afternoon – with the smile and energy required to work.

Unlike in many brothels of the city, Madame Naldore took her employees very seriously and always supported them in their darkest hours – which so happened to be rather often, especially with the new arrivals. The women that worked there, she’d say, needed nurturing and guidance to grow strong, as many of them were impulsive and led much by their heart, making questionable decisions like marrying young to some dashing rogue that would get himself killed within days of the ceremony. It becomes obvious now, why her establishment was named what it was. There were only a few men that lived under her roof and half of them were eunuchs. The other half might have been interested in the former were it not for their condition, and thus didn’t grow annoying and dim-witted, as men tend to be when surrounded by women. The only exception to this room was her son, who had made it clear that he was married to his brushes and paints – he’d even stolen the auctioned wedding band of the late and famed painter Bolivar to prove it.

After preparing herself to leave, she left her room to lounge the balustrade of the upper floor and barge into her son’s room unannounced. Disarrayed and confused, he turned away from the cascading fresh darkness which covered the canvas that was propped on an easel to glare at her with the irritation that came with a night owl’s meeting with the sun.
-“By Lathander! You look ghastly Soliere.”
-“I was in the midst of revolutionizing Vendusec’s style, dawn sabotaged my nocturnal horizon.”
-“Ah, you were up all night again.”
-“Don’t say it like that. I’ve told you the sun doesn’t have a monopoly on creativity. Come, come – Tell me what you think.”

He beckoned her forth while his weary eyes returned to the canvas, and Madame Naldore crossed the doorway to sigh at the sorry sight Soliere’s room was: pigsty, cesspool, and bazaar those were the words she would have voiced out loud were he the type to listen to her. Her heart paused when she gazed at the unfinished painting that depicted the city’s skyline from the balcony a few meters before her. Every brushstroke concealed a dozen more beneath precision and perfectionism, only perceivable to a practiced eye, and even without any light portrayed in the work of art, one could discern the shapes of buildings and silhouettes of nightwalkers as though it was clear as day. There was no moon, no light, the only variations of darkness lay in-between the contrast of denser and lighter shadows. Yet there was one flaw that ruined the painting though to her it was easily ignored: the virgin patch on the canvas that hadn’t been touched by his brushes.

-“Well? What do you think?”
-“This is perfect!”

He suppressed a yawn, “It’s unfinished.”
-“No – I mean. Yes. Complete it and it will be perfect – exactly what we will require this afternoon.”
The painter gave his dear mother a puzzled look.

-“I meant to tell you last night but Andris Paledrin, the jeweler I’ve been trying to sway into sponsoring our business for the past month, has invited us to his wedding this afternoon! He’s absolutely delighted by artists – and surrounded by them – and this is a perfect wedding gift for him to find yourself noticed by a grand patron of the arts. Two - no - three birds with one single stone. Do you realize how much this means to me, to you, to us?”
-“No. Wait.” The young man retreated to the edge of his bed to let the news sink in as though he’d just received a fist in the abdomen. After a long moment suspended in silence, he repeated again with anxiety. “It’s unfinished.”
-“You have plenty of time to finish it – I will leave you to it now but we may speak of it later this morning when I return.”

As suddenly as she had waltzed in, the lady left in a gust of thrill that Soliere’s morose state of exhaustion was not prepared for. He heaved a sigh and stood as his mind began fabricating scenarios of how the afternoon would go. Somehow, the sudden urgency of the situation didn’t appeal to him, especially the bit where he had to part with his own work of art. But in the end, he knew how much the Wondrous Widow meant to his mother, and it was just one painting. And maybe it could open many doors, who knew? This revitalized him somewhat, and he picked up a thin brush to complete the skyline. A swirl on his palette to bring a touch of cobalt here, and a caress of gray above. A few strokes to marry the two and it would be a perfect filler; even though every instinct in his soul disagreed.

The sky looked hideous. Why was there a hint of green in there? Soliere glanced to his palette, realizing the faux pas he’d made – the colors had mixed when he’d sleepily dipped his brush into them.

“What the hell have I done?”

Ataraxia

The Green Stain (II)

Postby Ataraxia » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:49 pm

Dolores was a steadfast lady with a gaunt face and bleak hair and those in her community knew her as a woman who seemingly never did anything but work and while that did not make her the best social companion, it made her a wedding planner that never spent time away from her trade, always one step ahead of all her competitors in the city who never knew how to separate life from profession, and indulged too much in the many distractions and entertainments provided by the wealthy elite they brushed elbows with. Supposedly she had never married, which was often the subject of gossip amidst the exclusive watering holes scattered about the most golden of districts where heavily defended villas offered a peaceful refuge for the gentry well away from Athkatla’s mercantile busy bees. In one such villa overlooking the Sea of Swords that belonged to the jeweler Andris Paledrin, his entourage buzzed with excitement and energy to prepare the afternoon’s long awaited event, coordinated by the queen bee Dolores who commanded the orchestra of servants to all corners of the premises with diligence and expertise.

She crossed the marble floor of the vast patio to join the day’s groom under the morning sun who had created a nest of cushions beneath an awning of silk, an eye in the storm that was brewing just for him.
-“All commands have been issued but Alem the winemaker is unfashionably late--“
The obnoxious rattling of Paledrin’s calishite water pipe interrupted her report and after a lazy exhale that sounded like an exasperated sigh, the man lounging on the cushions sat up to try and take Dolores seriously. His eyes were reddened, and the whiff of opium reached her nose.
-“I am well aware. He sent word that he has, ah, family troubles to attend. You know how he is.”
-“No, I do not, nor do I care. I will have to penalize him regardless – five percent of the original agreement for every hour he remains unaccounted for.”
-“You will do no such thing, crone. I am an understanding man and his excuse is valid. But you've no family, how could you understand?”

-“It is nearing midday and I do not have the patience to burn here in the heat waiting for an unpunctual winemaker.” Her retort was razor-sharp, hawk eyes glaring down at the man who mirrored her expression so as to not appear submissive.
-“Very well. How late is he currently?”
-“He was supposed to be here four hours ago with his cargo.”
-“Find Tamara, the courier. Tell her to track down our missing –friend– to remind him of his obligations.”
He compromised without backing down.
-“Or else what?” She asked when considering the possibility of Alem’s refusal to comply.
-“Or else I’ll have that damned calimite flayed and prepared for today’s guests and he will be so unrecognizable no one will tell him apart from a headless pig!” A splash of red flashed in his smiling eyes and he dismissed Dolores with a wild gesture. She soon dashed around a corner of the open house after the outburst, and Andris let his head rest against his dear cushion to return to a previous train of thought, the contorted muscles of his face fading away as they relaxed. Finally, he was alone.

The bubbling water pipe lulled him to a lowered state of consciousness, where there was no wedding and no Dolores to violate his silence. No one was going to ruin his last few moments as a free man.

Ataraxia

The Green Stain (III)

Postby Ataraxia » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:53 pm

The courier flew across the city’s gilded rooftops with the wind at her back and a pouch of coin promised at the end of her journey, delighting herself in the daredevil acrobatics and flirting with neck-breaking falls between every jump and roll. Everything was in the momentum. Knowing how to fall and learning to minimize friction. Tamara was one of the best messengers that the Beggar Prince of the underworld had on hand and although she disagreed with that reputation, she’d deliberately capitalized on her partly elven heritage to achieve it, making both her rivals and friends believe she had grace and swiftness beyond what was humanly possible. This belief was part of the reason she had risen above others, and while it was a white lie, she’d surprised herself slowly beginning to believe it.

Thus was the power of faith. Her truth was as malleable as her body, the instrument through which she defied the song of gravity.

She’d visited Alem many times in the past, a crude but honest man who let her eat from his pantry and advised her now and then, and what he lacked in social graces and tact he made up with fine tastes and a cultivated mind. His particular character often rebelled against the petty demands and standards of high society, subtly imposing his own social etiquette on the golden spoons he dealt with. Boldness earned him many friends among the younger faces of the gentry who found it refreshing, but traditionalists smiled along as though he was a buffoon who ridiculed himself before the true proper noblemen. Tamara had had many opportunities to see the disdain in the eyes of old money, and a part of her sympathized with the winemaker who never failed to distinguish himself. In business, Alem had explained to her once, reputation was even more important than the product itself. In fact, he’d admitted to the girl that his wine wasn’t even as good as he claimed – and he adored watching the nobility praise his brand over all others, betraying their hypocrisy and ignorance in regards to the science of winemaking.

Finding equilibrium on the tightrope that linked two golden domes that roofed lodgings beneath, Tamara could see the flagpole of Alem’s enterprise – a glass of wine filled with pearls. A smile eased itself on her sweat-beaded face in anticipation at the idea that soon she would be reunited with an old friend. The acrobat climbed onto a roof, sensing the heat through her spiked gloves that protected her from burns, and she propelled herself onto the second-floor balcony to grasp and hoist herself over the railing.

The messenger rapidly tapped the window woven into the wooden door and waited, cupping her hands over the glass to peek within, expecting Alem to laze his way to the door while mustering a comedic reason as to why he hadn’t heard her arrival. She waited, but no one came. Maybe he’d concluded his business and made his way to the villa without needing to be reminded of his promise? If that was the case she’d have to lie about her failure to deliver the message in order to earn her coin.

But something itched at her skull. Tamara couldn’t explain it.

Her knee collided with the floor and she positioned herself before the lock, finding her tools to push the mechanism’s tumblers out of the way with nervous but focused movements. With the door unlocked, she shoved it open and entered the loosely organized office – her senses assaulted by a rancid and coppery stench that filled her head with dull, blurring nausea.