Case Study - Downfall of Impiltur and It's Political...

For character backgrounds and journals.
blatob
Builder

Case Study - Downfall of Impiltur and It's Political...

Postby blatob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:37 pm

Case Study - Downfall of Implitur and It's Political and Economical Consequences for The Region of Easting Reach As a Whole

Entry #34

Dear uncle Tadusch,

I hope the news of my departure from Dilpur have reached you, though, with various services we have to use in the more barbaric countries, it is always questionable.

I took the advice of our contact here, Whitestone, to travel on land. I must say the route is rather scenic and the voyage itself was not too much arduous. Note, also, that the captain of Royal Bullion, which I chartered the bunk upon, decided, unbeknownst to me, to leave Dilpur for Thesk whole 3 days earlier, without even bothering to give me the news. Each day these long legged creatures prove to be more and more unworthy of our trust. I doubt we would ever get anything near the efficiency we obtained in dealings with Waterdeep and Baldur's gate. Not even to mention others... But I'm trailing off.

However, not everything was ideal. We were set upon by a band of miscreants nearing our goal, but, I'm proud to say, we beat them off in part due to my skill with our trusty Pattern 1355A1M and some minor flux demonstrations. Also, that is the reason caravan leader decided to forfeit my payment, so the traveling costs will be reduced.

We made a stop for the night in the village of Outentown. It was to my great amazement that I found a lass of our own people there, unusual sight in these lands. Times and again, I was mistaken for a halfling by savages that inhabit these parts. I must say she was quite charming, but also she seems to be a good source of information – I must pursue her, though she left the village some time after we met.

That night I had the most lucid dream. One of those dreams uncle Rupreht wrote about, no doubt. I have an idea about the modifications that could be made to Pattern 1355. I think it would require the new pattern number, too.

I must say I find it rather ironic, since I was informed that using the ranged weaponry is almost forbidden here. That is, the leaders of this country are so afraid of the people that they won't let them acquire the ammunition for the bows and other ranged weapons. I must say that we should, in my opinion, re-evaluate our involvement in such a turbulent country, despite all the possible gains from the proximity of trade routes and the source of minerals.

Sarshel is in poor state. And that is understatement. Shops are closed, many apartments are abandoned, left crumbling. Presently, authorities are still holding a grip on the situation, it seems, but I wonder for how long it could continue before we end with another Westgate incident, as implied in case study.

I will linger for at least a month in this sorry excuse for a city before moving on to Thesk, but my task will not be helped further by our contact here... Or should I say supposed contact. Mr Virag is, it pains me to say, not to be trusted anymore. The man is obsessed with his wife, despite the fact that it is widely known by everyone expect himself, as I was informed in the nearby inn the very first night, that she is having an affair with some actor. In addition, he spent almost a whole evening trying to convince me about organizing an import venture for a lemon scented soap. I also hear he spends far too much time on the beach, apparently ogling at what passes as womenfolk for these creatures.

But, enough of that. Passing through the village I mentioned before, I have heard of people talking about giant insects. Upon the investigation of the witness, I came to conclusion that those are, indeed, Agniferra gigantis. I shall try to seek a help with those and to look further into the interesting gastrointestinal properties of these. I hope to have more news about this venture in the next report.

I hope you are of good health.

Your truly,
Gervasius

Entry #35

Dear uncle Tadusch,

I have successfully enticed a group of human origin to help with procuring the digestive systems of several examples of Agniferra species. In addition, we have encountered what local refer to as “stinkbug” - I believe Coccinela maleaodorum. Their selected parts are currently in my collection. None of the men I hired was able to see me collect the. However, to study those, I would need a sutable accommodations. And therein lies a problem.

Requirement for the quick and unnoticeable travel was that I must bring no substantial funds with me. As in Impiltur we do not have our banking connections as of yet, letters of Good Stature, do not work. We still have to rely on the network of our associates. Currently, my funds have diminished, but Mr. Virag, who was supposed to be our contact here has used up all funds he had on hands. I believe he misused them to great extent and he was doing so for years now.

Therefore, I have contacted the local apothecary and obtained a working position there as an assistant – one that scrubs the floors. I believe, despite the initial job, that the owner would value one who is capable of scientific work as me. That also helped me in studying the esophageal sacs on in of the examples.

After the initial contact with her, I am almost certain that miss Vera Dopplebottom will serve as a good source of information, though she isn't local.

A day ago, I witnessed the most strange occurrence. Group of long legged people decided to venture into the ruins that are rumored to house people that were subjected to the strong necromantic flux of the wave long time ago. This only confirms how reckless they are. I must be very cautious when choosing the potential coworkers.

Yours,

Gervasius

Entry #36

Dear uncle Tadusch,

I have been able to obtain several samples from a specie of arachnids that is referred to as “spidermi ickcickcicki” by the locals. I believe that it is the specie known as Araneus diadomatus var. gigantea, but I was never proficient in arachnids, as you well know.

I have manged to gain the acceptance by a group of adventurers, as they call themselves. Mostly of human descent, though there are some human – elf hybrids. It is interesting how these are still able to procreate, unlike the mules. One of the hybridized persons is a priestess of deity of the Sun, Lathander. Interesting is that she is of bedine descent, which, if theories are correct, stem, at least partially, from the Netherese stock. It is interesting to see how far have our former captors and masters fallen. It glads me immensely.

Particularly interesting are the religious zealots, not uncommon in human culture – the paladins. They pose as the military branch of particular religion and they fight enemies of their deities. They are often associated with good and virtue among the common folk. I haven't seen anything similar. They fanaticism is focused solely on the religious terms, and not to the aim of preservation of their race. I have no doubt that they can be used as a weapon, fighting other humans and humanoids. Though they are supposed to have a wow of poverty, I have observed at least one of the minor paladins displaying the good commercial skills while selling the items gained by violent means.

In the letter, I provide also the list of common items sought in these parts, with the average price on the market. I hope to have more material in the next letter.

Yours,

Gervasius

P.S. It is interesting to note that word “novelty” here means “fake”, and not “brand new”.