Noal Dagar - Master of Illusionary Arts

For character backgrounds and journals.
Hagra
Builder

Noal Dagar - Master of Illusionary Arts

Postby Hagra » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:43 pm

You see a man who appears to be in his late thirties, with grey and brown coloured hair receding from his forehead. He appears gaunt, as if he has endured a long journey, and has bandages covering several minor wounds, but his slightly tattered condition does not detract from his well travelled appearance.

When his eyes catch your own gaze, he gives his head a slight tilt to his left to offer you a nod, if one could even call it that. He shimmers now and again, as if silken strands have been sewn into his cloth and stitch, and a number of small items like leaves and hay seem to stick on.

- A scar from a deep cut on his left cheek marks his face. - A mark to remember. . .
- His eyes carry a heavy sadness. - Turning the Page. . .
- Is known to have heated discussions with his satchel. - One step at a time!

Noal Dagar - Introduction Music (Character arrival to Sarshel Region):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVgtY5YT3g8

Noal Dagar - Character Growth Music (The Findings of Arcane Knowledge):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc83mnIa2sU

Noal Dagar - Character Growth Music (The Illusion of Growth):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FiHWEe6m0g
Last edited by Hagra on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

Hagra
Builder

Re: Noal Dagar - Master of Illusionary Arts

Postby Hagra » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:48 am

Day 1 - Arrival

Riding the waves of the sea is certainly not for me, unless they expect you to bring up everything you have in your stomach on a consistent basis. I kept little down of what I could muster to eat, leaving it behind on the ship's deck, a table, a dirt covered carpet, all to jeers and rude comments of those working on the ship.

I was happy to arrive in Sarshel late afternoon, stumbling off the deck and to what I thought was dry land; I could feel it too, swaying up and down, or side to side. My mind was taking time to adjust once again, but not before leaving yet another stain on the cobble of the street.

My eyes caught a red scarf in the distance on a woman standing and looking around, perhaps equally as sick as I. Sucking in my gut and holding my shoulders high, I gave the Lady the best greeting in passing that I could retain.
Spoiler:
With only a few hours left before dusk, I did my best to pick up the pace through a still busy dockyard, the smells not helping my stomach settle down, and before I could go much further, I gagged and heaved dry air over the street's edge toward the water below. The lapping waves and reflected movement of my deformed face in the water, pulled me back on my feet as quickly as I could muster. I had to get away from the sea.
Spoiler:
Pulling away from the dockyard through tighter streets, my stomach grumbled something fierce, and with each step on solid ground, I became more confident that the worst was behind me. My pace quickened.

What little of the strange coin I had exchanged before my arrival, I used to purchase some fish for the road ahead. My own grumbling stomach put a stop to wanting to sick up again, despite the freshly caught fish reminding me of everything I had just gone through. The man didn't seem to barter much, and I didn't mind.
Spoiler:
The fish would do me well on the road and I knew if I had to stop and make camp, I'd be happy I brought it along, despite the smell. Hunger against sicking up, a most dreadful feeling.

The road did wonders to my spirit, as did the fresh air away from the salty, fish stained gutter smell of the dockyard, and I soon found myself walking at a leisurely pace. Despite the sinking sun on the horizon, I felt confident I'd make it to my destination in good time.

As I cut through the countryside, following the wheel marks of caravans long gone, did I come across a sign that split open a smile missing from my face for some time. Songhall. It's where my studies would begin.

"When the Oriole flutters before you, Songhall draws near."
Spoiler:
I've always wanted to learn the tricks of the trade ever since I saw the glowing flame snapped onto fingers of Ranspur the Illusionist. As a little one, it's all I could talk about for days, snapping my own fingers in an attempt to spark up my own orange flickering light. Or how I'd walk around with a candle in my hand in the middle of the night, pretending I was Ranspur himself, exploring some forgotten ruin or ancient tribal cave.

My thoughts wandered through those pleasing memories as I continued my trek along the road, stopping now and then to admire the view as I climbed higher and higher toward my future home - The House of Many Tomes.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Then suddenly, on yet another climb along the twisting road, was the liquid, whistling tones of the male Oriole! His song danced a short series of paired notes, repeated about seven times, his flute-like sound full and rich in the foliage before me.
Spoiler:
My heart jumped into my throat, and I had to swallow hard to regain my composure. Leaning on my walking stick, I gazed up on the road, where buildings on high ridges sat, shadowed by taller mountain ranges above. The twirls of the Oriole helped me take one step, then another. One journey was coming to an end, another waiting to begin.

It took my breath away.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Each step in Songhall gave me strength to climb higher, along fenced ridges, manicured gardens and white bricked buildings, to the entrance of The House of Many Tomes. Arriving by ship hours ago seemed but a distant memory, and I began to check my belongings, fear suddenly gripping me as if I had no right to be standing before that very door.

With a final deep and calming breath, I put my shoulder into it, expecting such heavy looking wooden carved doors to require an uncanny strength to open, but only a soft click greeted my efforts, and the massive wooden door swung silently open, like a leaf on the wind passing by.
Spoiler:
And so, I, Noal Dagar, begin to settle down at my new place of residence.

The House of Many Tomes.

Hagra
Builder

Postby Hagra » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:52 am

Day 2 - Sand, Seagulls and the Sea!

I made good time the other day getting to The House of Many Tomes, for anything later would have made the climb to the top a lot harder than it is going down at any late hour. Arriving before dusk allowed me to register and explore the vast grounds where most of my studies will take place. There certainly is a wide variety of nooks to settle down and become lost in a good book, catch up on some notes, or have a lengthy discussion.
Spoiler:
With a good night's sleep behind me, I dressed and departed in the very early morning. A small town I had passed through on my way to Songhall caught my attention, and I wanted to return and spend the day in the region learning of what they had available in the market. Despite the distance, it's good for the heart. I arrived in what is called Outentown by the time dawn arrived, already having sweat trickling down my back from the brisk morning walk.
Spoiler:
Outentown greeted me with low curls of mist that snuck through open fields of corn, perhaps stealing a few oranges while it vanished between thick brambles and trees in the distance. Early morning was already upon many in the small community, their yawns or coughs heard from quite a distance by a waking land. A kitten's hungry mew, a dog's playful bark, to a rooster clucking his stuff! The scent of a nearby breakfast curled my stomach into a greedy rumble.
Spoiler:
The first merchant I came across was just the one I was looking for, and his fresh strawberries, picked the evening before, made their way into a small container as I handed him some coin. With a tip of my hat, I asked the good fellow for general directions of the region and after some digging, decided to head south along the road for an early morning journey.
Spoiler:
A quiet road, certainly due to the time of day. Not many would be on the road at this hour unless they too, had somewhere to go. Passing a few farms, the sound of Outentown faded, my footsteps the only beat I could keep along with the chirping birds from a nearby tree. That's when I stumbled on a tiny roadside campsite, used quite frequently from what I saw, and it is here I decided to sit and have those strawberries. Quite fresh, just as the good fellow had said, and a fellow worth going back to again for more.

A fresh spring a short walk away provided me with a splash of refreshment, and I filled my canteen to the brim after drinking quite greedily.
Spoiler:
Passing a few hours with a nap back at the campsite, I packed up after realizing the sun still hung high above, offering plenty more light to continue following the road. Well, until I came to a fork in the road and opted to follow that instead, toward the sea from the salt I could smell in the air. This road was a sprinkle of cobble, dirt and worn wagon tracks, which made it difficult to follow. I spent more time looking for it when I headed in the wrong direction than I did following it.
Spoiler:
That's when I met Tard Dalenna, a local fisherman who wasn't wasting any of his day sitting around in a tavern at a nearby city. A city, I learned, named Sarshel. He looked confused when I chuckled, but I went on to explain that I arrived in the region by ship, and was familiar with the dockyards and its pleasantries. But it was his additional tale of glowing lights some nights ago that caught my attention, and the smile on my face faded to a serious one as I tilted an ear to listen.

Someways up the beach these lights were seen.
Spoiler:
Glancing at the sky again, there was still a few hours left of light remaining. Thanking Tard Dalenna, I decided to explore the beach and see what I could come up with. Of course, exploring this region at night when these lights were seen, was not something I was about to do on my own. Rather, I got familiar with the beach and kept track of what little remained of the road. Maybe I could return with someone from Songhall?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

The smell hit me before the sight did, and I knew rot well from meat that had gone bad. Thinking some fish or seagulls had met their fate, I was taken back when over the next ridge, there lay a body. A dead man. Fear held me for minutes at a time as I held my gaze on the body, waiting for an arm to scratch or a stretch to come. It never did.
Spoiler:
Glancing about, I shook myself out of my strange stupor and approached when I felt it was safe to do so. Each step of crunched sand beneath by boots sounded louder than the waves crashing to shore. I was trembling! A local fisherman who crashed on the nearby rocks? The rocking boat would certainly agree. Holding a hand over my nose, I crouched low and examined him from a safe enough distance and gasped softly. This man, clad in padded armor, lay face down in the sand, where blood had already soaked deep. Wounds were numerous, despite armor I'd even have trouble fitting myself into. What really stood out from this mess, was that parts of his flesh had been ... eaten!

I stood quickly and spun around, glancing across the waves to shore, then back toward the way I had come. The rot was recent, by at least three or four days old now I thought. Someone should be missing this fellow. A lover? A wife? His children? A number of conclusions raced through my head and then I saw them!

Tracks.

The sun was going to touch the horizon in two hours at best. My time clearly short, I swallowed down that fear and followed those tracks.
Spoiler:
Now I needed as much information as I could gather to make some sort of report, that I knew, but with each step forward, my legs got even more heavy. My breathing was short, my heart racing. I soon lost those tracks, for the sandy beach gave way to gnarled hills covered in rocks and weeds, but I did spot something. Something that could very well hide what's responsible. The ruins stood jagged, reaching upward like knotted blades. Waves crashed to shore in the distance, while an uneasy silence lingered everywhere else.
Spoiler:
I gave a whisper toward my chest, where my most precious gift had made a home. Silken strands and sparkling webbing vibrated, and Silk moved silently into the palm of my hand, eight legs tapping ever-so gently. With a few soft responding taps from a finger of my own, Silk darted into the weeds. I closed my eyes until they rolled back, becoming one with creature and land.

Silk moved through blades of grass, over leaves and spun lines to be taken by the breeze, searching and seeing the surroundings I could not while hidden from behind the rocks where I remained.

Comfortable enough that I was secure, Silk returned just as silently, and wiggled back into its home within my pocket.
Spoiler:
The sun hung low now, very low, and I made a quick discovery that confirmed what it was Silk also saw. A trapdoor. One I did not rattle, or dare touch, but curious enough to make haste and return to the safety of Sarshel. If I could find that road agian. It seemed more difficult with what weighed on my mind, and the smell of that rotting man seemed to follow me over a shoulder no matter which way I went. I had to gather my thoughts, figure out who to speak with, where to go for information on local sailors, missing people. Could a blacksmith in Sarshel recognize his armor if I described it well enough? Questions. They came along for the rest of the way to Sarshel.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
At last, the rays of the sun shifted in colour and shadow as they split through leaves of tall trees just as I broke out along the road leading to Sarshel and it's South Gate. For that, I was thankful. I was safe, and once again the road lead me to where I needed to go. For now, it was the Crowning Glory Inn. At least there, I could find people to speak with, find out if anyone knows of a missing person report filed in the past few days.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
My stomach grumbled loudly as I ordered some food, then again when I was told to find a seat and wait for it to be delivered. So I found a table, a table for two. Silk scurried quickly out of my shirt pocket, hanging down toward the table before crawling on eight legs to search its underside.

By the time the food arrived, I was already nose deep in my notes.

You guys wanna go see a dead body?.

Hagra
Builder

Postby Hagra » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:54 am

Day 3 - Missing Person Report

My stay at the Crowning Glory Inn was an enjoyable one, for what it's worth. The day previous startled me quite a bit, so it was nice to find a relaxing atmosphere to calm my nerves.

Although the live music could be heard coming from the common room below, I rested very well. Though, it took about an hour to get to sleep as my hands and feet kept tapping along to the beat of the drums.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Another early morning start to the day, as I had a few places I needed to visit in the city before heading along the road to Outentown. I wanted to make sure I could post an advertisement in the establishments I planned to visit, and for that, it meant speaking with the owners.
Spoiler:
The Crowning Glory was kept heated through the night by their large fireplaces that I was not prepared for the first grasp of chill that lingered in the air as I stepped outside. That would diminish as the sun rose, which already was causing the sky to burn with an orange haze.

When I've gathered some extra coin, my first purchase would be a light jacket for these cool nights. By the time I had crossed the city and returned to the dockyards, the first tip of the sun had started to stretch out over the horizon.

Already, the dockyards were moving as workers prepared their shipments for boats as equally as busy, each group working together in an efficient manner. For awhile, I watched and listened, taking a gaze through patches of rolling fog for the Lady in Red.

Then a seagull shit on my shoulder.
Spoiler:
I was not pleased, and swung wildly at the bird to a few chuckles and calls from the workers along the dock. With a grumble and patting my shoulder down with a cloth, I removed what I could. The stain could last for weeks!

My visit brought me to two other establishments, where I spoke with someone who worked there, also asking about posting an advertisement. Neither had any problem, but both asked what kind of advertisement. When I mentioned it was for a missing person, the fellow working behind the bar at The Kingfisher wanted to know a lot more. A lot!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Doing my best to play the situation down, I took the fellow on a small tale about a friend of a friend who may have had a little too much to drink, and we simply had misplaced him during our night out.

When he started to reminisce about his wild night with a female elvish sailor, I used that moment to get moving. There was still Outentown to visit and I really didn't want to know.

The dockyards had even more bustle now as I made my way to the South Gate of Sarshel, my head turning toward anyone I saw wearing red. Just a glimpse of her beauty would really make my morning, but I'd gather she's long gone by now.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Another early morning hike caused my stomach to growl. I'm always hungry! It is a nice walk though, pass local farms, around and up a few bends in the road. In all, uneventful, and I arrived in Outentown well after the roosters had got the town up and about.

The local tavern would still have some cheese and bread left over from the previous night, or at least I had hoped they did, and since I was going there to speak with the owner anyhow, I stayed for an hour or more for breakfast.
Spoiler:
He's a good chap, the owner of the tavern, whatever it's called. I never did get the name of the establishment now that I think on it. Regardless, he too didn't mind me posting anything, and suggested that I speak with the farmers in town, or hire some fellow to help out, which he then pointed to an advertisement left some days back.
Spoiler:
I rolled a single coin in my hand, realizing I'd probably have to sell some gear to pay for this Ornak fellow, and go hungry for many days after.

Well ... seems it's a common thing to find people passed out in their fields after a night out with friends. Obviously I never told him the real story of the dead fisherman, but took his suggestion with a smile. It would also give me some time to buy more strawberries, and see if anyone is missing a fellow fisherman themselves.
Spoiler:
A local corn farmer didn't seem distraught when I met him in his field. I fished around gently asking if Outentown had a supplier for fish, but most catch them in local ponds and streams nearby.
Spoiler:
Neither of the two brats I met at a nearby farm were missing anything or anyone but their manners! I left with a few new stains to join the one left by the seagull.
Spoiler:
Two chicken farmers, and sisters as well, giggled when I approached, brushing down their aprons while running fingers through their hair in an attempt to straighten their curls.

If I didn't have more pressing matters, I'm afraid they'd both have their arms still wrapped around my own. Avoid the chicken farm.
Spoiler:
Heading back along a road, toward a mill by a local stream, did I bump into a large and strange looking fellow. His cheek bones were quite prominent, his jaw jutted outward and his nose was rather flat. That's not to say he wasn't friendly, sort of. We chatted for awhile.

"Aye there good sir!" I called, well before he drew closer of course, and his features became really apparent. Still, I leaned on that walking stick and offered up my best smile as he eyed me up and down.

"ey there" he added. Quick and to the point, making me shuffle in my boots and take a few steps back.

"You live in Outentown?" I questioned, and rightly so. A number of folks were already out this morning starting off with their chores. Did he just wake up from someone's corn field?

"Not really, new here. You need somethin'?" Again, quick and to the point.

I nodded a few times, adjusting my hat. "Ah. Not from around here. Don't need anything, no, just out for a walk ... really". What should I say? What else could I say? Was I not being friendly?

"Right, well, I'm Bors."

Visions of having my teeth pulled out flashed before me, but I smiled nevertheless.

"Oh? Bors! Alright! Name's Noal myself," in which Bors repeated to himself.

"You from around here?" the large man asked.

Shifting again, I leaned on my walking stick, tossing a thumb over a shoulder. "Just came from the market actually. Some good stuff there. I'm taking a residence in Songhall, to study. Yourself?"

The soft patter of running feet interupted our conversation, but I got most of what I needed with my query, and a blonde lady bounced up the road toward us. Guess she's a friend of this Bors fellow.
Spoiler:
"Been staying with one of the farmers for now..." Bors paused as a blonde darted up the road.

"Bors...where did Kelda go?" she barked toward him. He kept his gaze upon me when he answered.

"Haven't seen her for a bit, I'm not her keeper."

The new arrival sighed just as an almost identical blonde joined us on the road. She paused, looking us all over.
Spoiler:
"Well, I'm certainly out numbered," I added with a friendly smirk.

"Oh? Is this a bandit?" the first blonde women to arrive on the scene asked Bors.

A bandit I thought to myself. Dressed as I am? Where in the realms did this one come from, I pondered.

"A ... bandit, my Lady?"

Bors smirked, clearly knowing what a bandit would look like, and clearly knew one would not be lingering in Outentown. "I really don't think so."

"I have many studies I do need to conduct..." she responded to Bors.

Having enough, I shot back. "Well perhaps you could start with studying what bandits look like!"

She stood there, a verbal battle about to begin.

"Oh...well you mentioned being outnumbered...sounds like something a bandit might say..."

"Or what bandits would do to out number a traveller, hrm?" I responded.

"Bandits are thieves and lairs, and scoundrals...they come in all shapes and sizes...often dirty."
Spoiler:
"But never are bandits two women and a man?" I questioned.

"I never suggested that..." she added quickly.

"Good! Then we all agree neither of us are bandits," I nodded in response, then changed the subject. "Bors, care to introduce me to your lady friends?"

Bors was quick in his registration of the question, thumbing at each blonde in turn. "Iris, and Kelda. Good luck keeping them straight. It took me weeks."

"Nothing a muscular fellow like yourself would have trouble with, I'm sure. Sometimes the tongue lash is worse than the bite."

Iris, still standing there like a stonewall, shifted. "That's why I am more fun than my dear sister."

"Ah, so you're the lash, and your sister Kledra the bite?" I pondered the fun in that.

"I am Iris actually...but 'The Lash' sounds like a riviting title."

"You'd rather be called by title, than by name, my Lady?" Certainly, she'd not want to be known as 'The Lash', but I can never know the desires of a beautiful woman.

"Iris will do," she answered curtly.

With introductions out of the way, the group remained standing on the road chatting about crossbow bolts, and their short supply. It would seem both Iris and her sister Kelda are having a difficult time finding a supplier. I had nothing to offer, but decided to play on those needs.

"I may one day acquire a horse...I shall horde hay until that day" Iris rambled.

"I've known many a woman who enjoy a roll in the hay, my Lady Iris" was my response.
Spoiler:

It seemed not even the Fletcher in Outentown sold any bolts or arrows. This I found curious. How could she ever sell a crossbow or bow for that matter, without the proper ammunition to make use of one's purchase? Finding any on my travels would certainly do well in my standings with Lady Iris and Lady Kelda.

"See if we would have just posted as bandits he might have just handed them over," Iris said in a sarcastic manner.

I chuckled at that. "Aye, I suppose I would have. May have only parted with them for a kiss too."

Oh dear, I thought. She took my sarcastic response to her sarcastic comment serious.

"A kiss? Is that still a valid offer?" Her eyes glittered at the thought.

The discussion soon turned to kissing, passionate or not, Lady Iris certainly felt the need for crossbow bolts to continue pushing forward on the suggestion. She could probably kiss the bolt away from a crossbow too!

"I will give you a most passionate kiss...for your bolts."

Fumbling along, my attempt to deflect the offer by mentioning it was Lady Kelda that was looking for crossbow bolts, failed misserably when Iris showed me her own crossbow! And so, I was defeated and came clean.

"I'm sorry for misleading, but it seems that bolts are hard to come by, which makes me think I should keep my own, despite the desire to share in such a kiss." There. Done. Fingers crossed anyway.

And then, like a bolt of lightning, it hit me. Oh, how my heart started to skip quicker when she first came into view. Long strides up the road, her red scarf fluttering with a resounding snap behind her. I swallowed and gasped to myself.
Spoiler:
There she was. Since my arrival on the first day, I've searched the crowds for her, hoped to gaze upon her beauty again, but found nothing. And here, while in Outentown, she finds me!

Her curves sharing as many as the twisting road I walked along to arrive in Outentown, made me all tongue tied.

"That red ... scarf!" I blurted out. Did everyone hear that? Oh dear.

She spit on the road as a breeze rippled her red scarf. Spit! I could feel my knees becoming weak, and I leaned on my walking stick just to regain myself.

"If I come across any extra bolts, I'll be sure to find you both, my Lady Iris and my Lady Kelda." There. My voice didn't crack from the nerves.

I turned up the road then, quietly cursing my shyness for the woman wearing the red scarf. Oh how she stood out but ... but what? She was right there and I ... did nothing.

Lady in Red, is dancing with me ... cheek-to-cheek

Hagra
Builder

Postby Hagra » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:57 am

Day 4 - Preparation Day!

Much of my entire day was spent meeting with the locals who call Outentown home, venturing to the edge of the farmlands that circle the town, before returning to check up on my advertisement left the day before.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The sound of a waterfall caught my attention from the road, and despite the distance, the roar was rather loud. With sun still high in the sky, I took a moment to climb toward the edge - away at a safe distance of course - and admire the view. The rock ledge I found would be a nice place to have a picnic. My thoughts strayed to the Lady in Red.
Spoiler:
A very faint sheep call could be heard over the roar of the double waterfall, and it shook my thoughts back to the road. Another farm loomed in the distance, as curls of smoke billowed from a chimney, marking its point on the rolling land. Back on the road, I kept my eye on the smoke and headed in that direction.
Spoiler:
An entire flock of sheep had made themselves home on a grassy hillside which the road cut through, curling northward past a number of farm houses, and out toward a very deep gorge.

Upon reaching a bridge, the guard watching the gate that kept me from going any further, mentioned it was currently closed. The Angelus Bridge is what he called it, designed by an architect named Athos Ilabrar, and it guards the entry to the Barrowlands beyond. I suppose any guard who has to stand in front of a locked gate as he was, should know what he's guarding.

It's quite a magnificent sight to behold!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
With nowhere else to go, I opted to return to the establishments from the previous day and see if there was any interest in my advertisement. Outentown was my first stop, being the closest, and this time around I didn't run into anyone on my way to the tavern.
Spoiler:
While my boots kicked up dust from the dry road, I caught a Fletcher's sign in my passing. Recalling that Lady Iris and my Lady Kelda were short on crossbow bolts, I stepped inside to do some business.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The small shop was nice and clean, with odds and ends placed neatly in an organized fashion. The lady running the shop was quick to respond to my query. Sadly, she had nothing to sell.

Despite looking the part of a soon-to-be mother, I gave her a piece of my mind. A place of business with the means of selling such weapons, without the ammunition to actually make use of one's purchase, was downright insulting. She spread her hands apologetically.

I wished her all the best, and grumbled my way out the door.
Spoiler:
A smile greeted me as I returned to the tavern, and the good fellow tapped my advertisement with a thick thumb. "You've got some replies," he rumbled.

Indeed I had! Three replies.

One from a fellow named Jonan, who the barkeep mentioned that if I'm a Sembian, to keep it to myself.

The second was from a woman named Sasha. What a beautiful name. I said it to myself a few times before reading the third and final note left behind.

Kelda Adler. I blinked at the barkeep, then read the name again.

"Everything alright, friend?" he asked leaning his elbows on the counter of the bar.

"Huh? Oh! Yes, yes," I nodded quickly in reply. "It's fine. Just someone I met a day back or so." With a smile, I left each a response that I'll be at The Crowning Glory Inn over in Sarshel.

I curled my lips in thought. If Lady Kelda is interested, then her sister Lady Iris might be tagging along. And if those two are coming, then their bodyguard Bors may not be far behind.

With a nod, I made my way to Sarshel, and also checked those establishments. My timing was perfect, passing through the South Gate as dusk crept over the land.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
There was no response to either within the city, which was fine. Three at least would go out on a hike, possibly an extra two depending on who followed Lady Kelda. Good enough I thought.
Spoiler:
The bustle of the Crowning Glory was just as I left it the day before - loud, warm and full of good music. I reserved a large table for a full day, one with plenty of chairs in case all I expected would come.

There was also the notion of the dead body, unknown tracks in the sand and some crumbling ruin I failed to mention in that advertisement.

I'd have to come clean, so I sat down and prepared my speech.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank-you for coming. . .

Hagra
Builder

Postby Hagra » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:59 am

Day 5 - The Waterlogged Seven
Spoiler:
The hour drew near with each page flip, and each time I heard the door open, my eyes peeked over the book to wonder if that was someone who responded to my advertisement. I had only collected three responses, but it was possible more had done so after I had been through Outentown.
Spoiler:
It wasn't long until the common room started to get busy, and a few new faces walked toward the bar to take an order, and also ask for me by name. I hid behind the book more than I ever did when realizing it was three ladies who had come to inquire aboud the hike. None of them wore a red scarf, but I gathered in my wits and invited them to join me at the table where I could continue to watch the door for new arrivals.
Spoiler:
Not long after they had taken to their seat, that three men followed. Boyfriends? Lovers? Why did I have to be the one left out! There was a small handful of greetings and introductions made around the table, and two of the men dressed exactly the same. I swore they were brothers. It was uncanny how they were a mirror reflection of one another. After no one else seemed to be making their way to the Crowning Glory, I shared what it was I had come across and exactly where we were going. Despite a threat about getting a crossbow bolt in the back of my head if I was setting up a trap, it went well. At least now I know who was buying out that fletcher shop in Outentown of crossbow bolts!
Spoiler:
Gathering up my gear from the room upstairs, we all headed out just as night had settled over the land, and right out into a downpour. My hat could only do so much, and before we had left the safety of Sarshel, I was soaked from head to toe. In a way, it was an omen of where we were going and what was to come. Funny how the weather always seems to know before you do. Our hike along the road was nothing more than going back the way I had come a few days ago, and using landmakers that I recalled, made the journey that much quicker.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Our arrival was greeted by more rain, and it now blew in what seemed like every direction near the open shore where little protected us from the storm. In the distance, a lone bell rang from the swaying boat where I had stumbled across the dead body. Quickly pointing it out as our destination, Lady Sasha went ahead to scout the region, just to be on the safe side. On her return, the discovery of the body still there, even in a worse condition than when I found it, was still on the sandy shore. We all moved forward quietly.
Spoiler:
The rot had certainly taken its toll with another two days of freedom, and the fellow, still face down in the sand, had grown in size. The sand was soaked all around him from the rain, but everyone realized the rotting condition would have soaked the sand anyway from the ooze that now broke through his skin. Lady Jhasira kneeled to examine him, as did Acharys Gaothaire, a very large man of who looked to have considerable strength underneath his long hanging coat. We learned the man did not die in a fishing or boating accident, but was murdered. A number of slash and gashes littered his chainmail armor, clearly done by weapons or possibly claws. We decided to bury him, and Lady Jhasira found more solid ground on the top of a hill, right near a few trees, where the burial would take place.
Spoiler:
Cormac, Acharys Gaothaire and I took turns digging the grave, a shallow one due to the pounding rain, which turned the dirt to mud very quickly. By the time we had it completed, Cormac had gathered a number of stones to place ontop of the grave once the dead man was put to rest. Lady Jhasira said a few words.

"On this man's behalf, thank you. His body rests; now his spirit we bid to look east, to the sea, and to where the Morninglord will greet him. On a new journey to a new home - to peace and rest and serenity."
Spoiler:
Meanwhile, during all of this, Lady Sashra and Lady Kallian had found a new set of tracks yet to be disturbed by the downpour of rain, well protected by large, thick branches on a giant tree some ways away. When this information was shared with the rest of us, Lady Sashra also mentioned the direction of these tracks did indeed lead to an old ruin. With the dead man finally at peace, we continued onward.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
And so there it stood, just as I had seen it days past. It looked different at night, the curls of mist rolling along its base, pounded by heavy drops of rain. The rain hit the stone with an eerie patter drowning out the sound of waves crashing to shore. The trapdoor remained too, and I wiggled a few fingers toward my chest pocket to tell Silk to remain inside. Silk didn't care for the rain and no doubt was quite dry in a nice ball of webbing. Envy flowed through me. Lady Sasha was the first to go down, and she called for us to follow once the coast was clear.
Spoiler:
A damp cellar greeted the party as we climbed down an equally damp ladder. It creeked from my weight and I wore no armor, so I was surprised it never snapped for the others who wore some. The cellar didn't seem that worn down once my eyes became adjusted to the torch light, as two bunk beds were made recently. A carpet rest on the floor and not that far away, a cooking table and fireplace. For all I saw, it was just a place to get away from the elements outside.

Lady Sashra fiddled with a metal door, unlocking the tumblers with a key she must have found; I never saw that she did myself, and on her return asked if there was anyone else who had a source of light. I wasn't sure if I should say anything, but I couldn't just do nothing. Lady Sashra sounded like she needed her hands free, and there wasn't anyone else who looked to have brought along a torch, so I mumbled that there might be something I could do.
Spoiler:
I've created light before by snapping my fingers, just like Ranspur the Illusionist used to do, but not under these conditions. I had to break away from the group and find a dark corner I could be alone with my thoughts and focus on the task at hand. My fingers snapped multiple times, and I'm sure my curses and mumbles echoed around the cellar for all to hear, but no one said anything on that account. Then, after a number of hard and soft snaps, the corner before me was illuminated, and I shouted with surprise. I'd done it! I snapped light into existence under stress and dire need. Ranspur the Illusionist would be proud!

With Lady Sashra's hand now free of a torch, we stepped down stone steps, our boots crunching pebbles to dust before splashing into a flooded chamber below.
Spoiler:
A pebble shattered against the stone wall ahead of me, and voices were raised to shouts just as the clang of steel rung out around us. Rambles of what sounded like phlem stuck in one's throat, vibrated from some strange looking humanoid creature. I caught its shadow on the wall as I turned the corner, for I could not see it clearly through the swinging arms and raised shields. It had a long face, and fins along the top of its head and its back. With a spray of goo striking the wall, the creature fell.
Spoiler:
One of the twins, the one using a sword instead of an axe - the only difference I could see - said he had just killed a bunch of salmons. I'd never seen anything like it before in my life, but even dead, I didn't want to get close enough. Although, from where I stood, I could see that its mouth did look like that of a fish, with its gum-like lips and wide face. We gathered ourselves as Lady Kallian fiddled with a locked chest at the back of the room. I'm not sure how she found the key either, because it was hard enough to find anything on the ground with all the water lapping up against our ankles.
Spoiler:
A crack in the wall took us into a natural cave system, and once again Lady Sashra went forth to make sure it was safe for everyone else to follow. With the glowing sphere of light circling me, I stood close to the wall to illuminate the passage for those going before me, before slipping through myself.
Spoiler:
Combat was quick and just as fierce as the room beyond, and I came to realize I'd better do more than just snap my fingers a few times. Pulling out a sling I had brought with me, and finding plenty of stones laying about the cave, I assisted as well as I could. I'm not sure how many of those pebbles hit these strange creatures, and I wouldn't be surprised if anyone had a bump on the back of their head in the morning from my poor aim.
Spoiler:
The next encounter came from around a corner along the tunnel ahead, and their numbers got the best of Lady Sashra as she was tossed back into the rockface, slamming her head hard. Only the soft k-thunk of her head against the stone gave her a circle of blood, matting her hair together. The stones flew from my sling, bouncing all over the place, but I'm sure one or two struck their mark, squishing into an eye or those gum-like lips. Someone shouted to tend to Lady Sashra as the chaos continued, and I'm sure someone did because when it was all over, she was leaning back on her feet rubbing her head.

Everyone made sure Lady Sashra was alright, and she became quite fierce in wanting to continue. I wasn't so sure. There could be more around the next tunnel, a lot more, and it might not just be Lady Sashra next time either. Everyone seemed confident enough to continue, but they all turned their gaze to me. Me! I felt like hiding in my own shirt pocket with Silk at that moment, stuttering and becoming all nervous. Good thing I'd already snapped my fingers because they'd had got nothing if they asked right then and there.

My eyes reviewed everyone in the group for some bleeding wound one or more were trying to hide, but everyone looked battle ready. I agreed to continue onward with them.
Spoiler:
Around the next corner of the tunnel was something a lot worse. A green billowing cloud of fog. It lingered down the entire tunnel ahead, and we all stopped before it wondering what it could be. No one wanted to go into that! Just by being so close, you could taste the acidic air, smell it as it burned your nostrils with each drawn breath. I shook my head as Lady Sashra decided to step forward, and before I realized what had happened, the tunnel exploded with thick gas! Those of us that got too close stumbled back as it splashed across our skin, burned our eyes.

Even when it had disipated, there still remained a green curl of gas lurking along the floor and about knee high.

Another decision was made to move forward, or go back. Cormac and Jonan departed the party, working their way back out the way we had come in. Those of us remaining covered our faces with whatever cloth we had available, held our breath, and pushed forward through the curling gas.
Spoiler:
The next chamber was empty of creatures and of acidic gas. We all took a breather and gathered our thoughts. The risks had been great to get to this point, and with Cormac and Jonan gone, so was their skill and strength in battle. Lady Jhasira came to the conclusion she had gone far enough. That kind of gas would do that to anyone, or perhaps it was the blood and severed hand on an altar I caught a quick glimpse of before Lady Jhasira stepped before to hide it from my view. Or to hide it from her own eyes.
Spoiler:
So that left just the four of us. Lady Sasha, Lady Kallian, Acharys Gaothaire and I. With Lady Kallian and I hanging back tossing darts and stones, the reamining two had to handle whatever came toward us, and keep them at bay. Another locked door that Lady Sashra this time, did not find a key for, but it seemed Lady Kallian had. My eyes darted around the tunnel looking for any more hidden keys. Of course, I couldn't find one. Not one!

As the stone door swung open, out came one of those creatures. It's gum-like lips wide revealing sharp looking teeth, its eyes in a bulging fury! Lady Sasha and Acharys Gaothaire held the door, while Lady Kallian and I flung darts and stones just as a second one rushed toward the party! This one was bigger than all the rest in all aspects. Bigger fins, eyes, gum-lips, muscles. It flailed forward ripping into both of them just as the first creature met its end to Acharys' very long blade. As if on queue, the second creature went into a crazy frenzy as Lady Sashra stuck it multiple times. I think I even saw it swallow a slingstone! Must have done lots of damage at the back of its throat.
Spoiler:
We all stepped over both corpses and into the next chamber. It pulsated with a green, sickly glow and smelled of rot. Years of rot. It was a smell that clung to everything, and I held my stomach as I began to feel sick. My eyes then fell on another altar. Ripped out tooth. Blood. Missing head. Blood. Legs bent in an impossible angle. Blood. I spun to face the wall and never looked into the chamber again. Lady Kallian did the same, and after a few more calming deep breaths, I stepped back out into the tunnel.

Lady Sashra and Acharys Gaothaire worked to find stones and pile them on the mutilated body. Acharys said a prayer and we left. Thankfully. Finally! I thought for a moment what we'd find down another set of stairs that the chamber held, but why would I ever need to see more mutilation like I had already seen? Lady Jhasira made the right choice when she saw the severed hand.
Spoiler:
I never noticed that the illumination of light that had surrounded me all that time had finally winked out. Not until we stepped out of the cave system did I notice the dark shadows in distant corners. By now, my thoughts raced at everything I had experienced. My idea of exploring an old ruin full of dusty books full of knowledge and ancient maps was nothing but a fantasy. There were things in this realm I clearly was not ready for, no matter who was around to protect me. We exited in silence, our steps through the flooded room and creek of the ladder all the sound we made for each other.
Spoiler:
Upon stepping back into the salty air, which I was more than happy to inhale deeply, we washed away the blood, dirt and whatever else dripped from us. I made a cheerful mention it was no longer raining, but no one really said much about it. No one was in the mood to start a conversation, and we all walked in silence, alone with our thoughts all the way back to Sarshel.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
At the South Gate we met, a late morning sun peaking through the clouds above, and a slight breeze nipping through our clothes. Silk stuck out four legs for a brief moment, perhaps testing the air for moisture, before falling back into my pocket. A few gazes and quick words, Acharys Gaothaire and I went to sell what was found, and Lady Sasha and Lady Kallian returned to the Crowning Glory Inn.
Spoiler:
Even at the table the mood of everyone was expressed through conversation, a quiet lull or small smile in shared comfort for what we had just experienced. The others knew what was down there, but those who left never saw the mutilated body with their own eyes as we had. Something had passed between us all, the reality that there are such things that exist in these realms. It was still sinking in, and I had already made a choice to donate some of my share of coin for prayer. A prayer for that man, whomever he was, deserved at least that.
Spoiler:
The mood grew sour. Lady Sashra had a bite for a short, bald fellow who suddenly started tossing profanity toward Acharys Gaothaire. All he was doing was standing by the table with his arms crossed, saying nothing. My best simply was not good enough as I tried to diffuse what was becoming a very hateful situation. In the end, Acharys Gaothaire left the establishment.
Spoiler:
So who was this guy and what was his story? Seemed to me he didn't care for the large muscular fellow. He kept mentiong Orcs, but I've seen enough sketches from books to know there were not any in the common room. Hróin, son of Bróin from some far away mountain range. I remember something about snow and ice. Guess knowing his name is better than not knowing it but knowing where he's from.
Spoiler:
As the afternoon drew on, so did my yawns become closer and closer. I had been up all night exploring that ruin and I was feeling quite spent myself. Lady Kallian wished to have a word with me before I retired for an early meal and bath. Hróin, son of Bróin departed himself after finishing his drink and Lady Sashra left well before that. So, with everyone going their own way, Lady Kallian and I went outside for a brief conversation.

Something she had found in the ruins that she had no use for as far as she was concerned, was passed to me. I couldn't make out any of the markings or runes on it, but I knew it was worth keeping. Once my studies began in the days ahead, I might be able to find a book or be taught how to use such written magic. As I took each step toward my room, I felt the markings on the scroll, and yawned. Tomorrow. I'll look at it tomorrow.

Head down, go to sleep ... to the rhythm of the war drums!

Hagra
Builder

Postby Hagra » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:00 am

Day 6 - Noal's Last Free Day
Spoiler:
By the time I had rolled out of bed and cleared the wool out of my head, the late afternoon of the previous day had passed long ago. With a slight chill in the air, I knew it was still dark outside but I couldn't gather the nerve to go back to sleep.

Packing up and checking out of the room, I decided to walk the city in the late hour and find somewhere I could donate coins for a candle and a prayer.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Again the chill of night reminded me to save up for a jacket. The streets were quiet, making each step echo down the tight alleyways, almost to the point I thought someone was following me!

On turning yet another corner, I came up to the Temple of the Triad and went inside.
Spoiler:
The massive stone pillars and stone carved statues were impressive, towering over the marble and ivory floor of the temple. Round and enormously high ceilings made any sound vertebrate through the entire complex. A soothing drone mixed with soft chimes could be heard.

Haron Aulenbry, Abbot of Tyr and Vigilant Watcher of Tyr was happy for my donation toward the church, and would indeed burn a candle in memory of the dead man buried on the beach. The latter information I left out as he didn't need to know, but a candle that would burn from start to finish undisturbed, eased my mind.

After looking around, I thought about doing some browsing in the local shops, which some had already started to open as morning drew near. Thanking Haron Aulenbry, I stepped back outside and found a few shops.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Browsing was certainly all I could do, considering the price of many items were clearly out of my league. Despite having the coin for some purchases, those pouches were for Cormac, Jonan and Lady Jhasira, who I had yet to find since our hike from the day before.
Spoiler:
Twisting my way through back streets and bricked corridors, I somehow managed to find myself in the Dockyards just as my stomach started to rumble. A light snack of strawberries soothed that, and as I sat there, I came to realize dawn was a lot further away than I thought.

My business in Sarshel was concluded, and it would be sometime before I returned, so brushing myself down, I made the trek to Outentown in the dark.
Spoiler:
A few branch and twig snaps made me pick up the pace, and I kept a sharp eye on the road and squinted at the shadows before me. Uneventful though and thankful for it too. Going to bed so early in the afternoon after our hike, had messed up my internal clock, so I had to find something to do until morning.
Spoiler:
And then, as if the sun itself had shone upon me and shared its warmth, just outside of the market in Outentown was the Lady in Red! She was still in town, and up early herself ... or up late. Who was she whispering too?
Spoiler:
"Boy! Hey boy!" I heard the gruff voice calling at my back.

Bróin, son of Hróin!

"Who goes there and why are you wearing a hood?" I spun around to ask, hoping that the Lady in Red wouldn't dart off.

"Hróin, son of Bróin!" was his reply. Right! Hróin! Close call, that.

The bald and very short fellow started to talk about wanting to show me something, and training, and experience. What could possibly be more important than the Lady in Red?
Spoiler:
She was still there talking to another mysterious hooded figure in hushed whispers. As Hróin and I approached, the hooded female asked me about some fellow she is looking for.

"Lady Iris!" I said, recognizing the sound of her voice.

"Lady Kelda," was her response. I wasn't doing very good with names or voices today.

"Come on, boy!" Hróin spat back, his heavy boots shuffling past the two women, and I followed in tow.

"...hi..." I said in a near whisper as I passed the Lady in Red. I could feel my hand around my walking stick getting all sweaty.

After a few glances back over my shoulder, Hróin and I were soon crunching stones under our boots as we walked south down the road.
Spoiler:
... and walked.
Spoiler:
... and walked!
Spoiler:
... AND WALKED!
Spoiler:
"What is that rotten smell? Why are we so far off the road in the middle of the night?" I asked between the sound of pattered rain that was sucking whatever little warmth I had left in me.

"Look, boy! What do you see?" Hróin asked me in a voice that sounded like rocks being ground to dust.

"Uh ... a wall?"

"Look closer, boy!"

"...uh. Grass!"

"Closer!"

"Wet grass!" I nodded sagely. I had this training in the bag.

Then, Hróin moved his fingers quickly, but no snapping was involved, and a burst of light illuminated a sphere around him! Just like Ranspur the Illusionist!
Spoiler:
"There is a marking, one of warning that all can see, but only those who know the Weave can fully understand."

"Uh-huh".

"Take a closer look at the ground, boy. That is my marking. Wherever you see this, I have walked before. Take note of those six points around the rim of the marking."

"...okay."

"It spells U-N-D-E-A-D! Right beneath our feet. I almost died exploring what's down there," he then said, lifting up his tunic to show a blood soaked cloth from a wound he was still tending.
Spoiler:
"Wouldn't a wooden sign be better?" I asked. "Maybe some folks wouldn't know what this marking meant and its warning would go unnoticed. You could paint DANGER on it in big red letters. Everyone would know what that meant!"

Hróin grunted.

Suddenly the grate rattled and almost popped off its hinges, and a foul, dark cloud of wisp started to curl out from the darkness below.

"Run, boy! RUN!" Hróin yelled.

And so I ran! I ran through the bushes and over rocks, snapping dry twigs and tiny branches along the way, until I spotted a really big bush and dove in, shivering from fear.
Spoiler:
All was silent, and I remained frozen in position in the safety of that bush. The falling rain made it hard to listen, but I tilted my ear toward the direction I had come, and there was nothing! Hróin left me to die all alone!

Silk! I could use ... no, no, no. Silk would stay in my pocket, dry and safe. Silk would get one drop of rain on one of those eight legs and crawl right back into that pocket. No, I'd wait for awhile until I could calm down.

Minutes ticked on by, maybe days! It sure felt like it in that bush, but finally I heard Hróin's low rumbled voice calling for me.

"Boy! Hey boy!"

"Pssst!" I said from within the bush.
Spoiler:
Making sure the coast was clear, I crawled out with a large assortment of leaves stuck to me, adjusted my hat and learned we'd be giving that ruined wall and its grate a wide birth.

On recognizing the road with its campsite not too far off, I knew the way back to Outentown along the road, where it was safe! It's how we travelled for the rest of our way back.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Arriving back in Outentown, I looked frantically about for the Lady in Red, but she and Lady Kelda had departed. The market was quiet of activity, and with all the excitement, my stomach grumbled again. It wanted breakfast, so Hróin and I went to the tavern to dry off and get warm.
Spoiler:
There she was! The Lady in Red! In the tavern! This was my chance, I couldn't let someone else take me away from her. Not this time!

So I removed my hat and brushed down what hair I had left, tucked in my shirt and picked off any leaves I could see, cleaned my face and walked on over.
Spoiler:
"...hi..." I said in that dream-like voice.

She nodded, looking me over. Yup. Checking me out.

"...uh... I found something ... no, bought you something ... that would go ... no, that I know will match your scarf." The words flowed confidently out of my mouth to her ear.
Spoiler:
There was a large group sitting at a nearby table, but I didn't let that bother me. With a deep breath, I rummaged through my satchel and pulled out a red rose. It was squished already, and a few petals had fallen off too.

"...uh. There was this grate ... and smoke ... and it kind of got squished when I hid in a bush," I said slowly, holding the red rose out before her.

My hand didn't move when she took it from me, trimming its stem to tuck it securely on her person. It matched the red scarf perfectly and looked stunning on the Lady in Red. How was that even possible when she herself was molded from perfect beauty itself?

"We'll talk later," was all she said.

"...o...okay..." I returned softly, eyes wide and mouth having gone dry.

The sound of many boots rumbled across the common room as that full table became empty, and the group exited the establishment with Lady in Red following close behind.
Spoiler:
It sounded like the group was going off to explore the very grate that Hróin and I just ended up running away from! There wasn't anything that could get me to follow, even the Lady in Red. I'm positive with their numbers, she will be safe.

Even though I knew it would be sometime before I got to see her again, there was comfort in knowing she accepted the red rose and carried it with her. That would let me focus more on my studies and give me strength once my lessons in Songhall began.
Spoiler:
After my breakfast, and some light conversation, morning had finally arrived. My few days since arriving have been more than I ever expected, but I made some new friends along the way, even padded my coin pouch some.

Still, it wasn't enough for that jacket.
Spoiler:
Tomorrow my lessons would begin, the semester rolling out for all new students at the House of Many Tomes. My stomach churned with excitement!

I may not be among you tomorrow, but my wisdom will remain.

Hagra
Builder

Postby Hagra » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:01 am

Day 7 - The Freshman

My very first day in the region had me hike up to Songhall to register my arrival and availability, to let the House of Many Tomes I'd come to learn and be taught the art of the Weave properly.

So, one week later I returned to those halls to pick up my course material, verify my courses, receive access to the dormitory, and meet my roommate.
Spoiler:
Passages lined with floor to ceiling bookshelves covered stone walls, and students new and old moved quickly along candle-lit hallways. I had to turn around a good number of times as I tried to locate Room X. Ex marks the spot, I chuckled as I hit another dead-end nook someone else was enjoying.
Spoiler:
Stairs lead me back to the main floor, twisting into a seated chamber, quite cozy indeed, and already occupied by a number of students. They whispered as I walked on by, and a giggle made me quicken my pace.
Spoiler:
Another flight of stairs on the opposite wing lead me back to the upper floor, just as twisting as the one before, placing me in a long arched corridor. To my left, etched on the floor, the letter Z - Room Z. The following door had a Y before it, so it wasn't long until I came to the third door with the letter X. A few soft knocks against the solid wood of the door returned no reply, so I used my key and went on in.
Spoiler:
Well, this was certainly the place. The key worked, and being the first one to arrive, I had my pick of which side I'd like. After sitting on both beds, and trying out both wooden chairs of each individual desk, I picked the left side.

My arrival guidebook already said to change into the robe provided, as each individual wore different colours based on what they were at the House of Many Tomes to study. A mystic purple made a wide belt and stripes along the wrists, the colour of those come to study in the Arts of Illusion. Ranspur the Illusionist would be proud!
Spoiler:
Time permitting, I was to make note of any adjustments required to the fitting of the robe, then report back to the main floor so I could receive the name and location of the Master of Novices. Such an individual is responsible for a number of first year students, and they'll hand out duties and chores required of all who study at the House of Many Tomes.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Upon meeting with one of many Headmasters, they reviewed my course material, cross referenced the dormitory room with what I was given upon registration, verified my name and other general student information for their records. With all of that complete, I attained a slip with the name of my Master of Novices and what study or chamber he was stationed at.

Challo Crumbdee was the Master of Novices that I was to receive my chores and task list from.
Spoiler:
Master Crumbdee wasn't hard to find. I heard his voice well before I reached the top of the stairs where an open study-hall looked down upon a chamber for relaxation. All of these stairs and places to mingle was wearing me thin.

He was quick to snatch the slip out of my hand, reading and looking me over a number of times. Whomever the woman was he had been speaking to, stood there silently, her cheeks red from whatever Master Crumbdee had berate her for. Not a novice by far. Third year or so I gathered.
Spoiler:
With a satisfied nod, Challo pointed over to a nearby bookshelf and said the volumes needed to be sorted properly, as well as dusted. What Master Crumbdee didn't point out was how he wanted the volumes sorted. Alphabetically, numerically, or perhaps by their colour? I was about to ask, but he shifted in his shoes and returned speaking to the woman in a loud voice. Biting a lip, I realized that will probably be me when I'm done with all those volumes.
Spoiler:
When I wasn't tasked to sort that particular bookshelf - which Crumbdee would just look over while I was there but said nothing as to right or wrong - he had me climbing up and down ladders to test their durability. I knew if any of them broke because of me, he would not be happy.
Spoiler:
If not books and ladders, it was cleaning out the fountains in the Grand Hall.
Spoiler:
Or trimming all the potted plants!
Spoiler:
Or changing the candles, then measuring and cutting them so they're all the same height!
Spoiler:
Sometimes I even had to pick out bugs that found their way into the soil of every single potted plant found inside a study-hall.

I was told I'd be doing these chores between classes, after classes and sometimes, before classes!
Spoiler:
By mid-afternoon, I was excused when Master Crumbdee asked me if I didn't have any course material I should be reviewing. With a quick nod and rigid bow, I took that as an opportunity. Never in one place for long, I moved around in case the Master of Novices happened to change his mind.

I enjoyed a nearby study-hall close to Room X.
Spoiler:
Grabbed some fresh air and caught a few snowflakes with my tongue!
Spoiler:
My first class didn't start until close to dinner, and my stomach grumbled in anger for not paying close attention to the time. I was so concerned about not getting a good seat, that I arrived early. A little too early. Early bird catches the worm. I scored with a front row seat.

I waited around for thirty minutes before rechecking my course schedule, then the lecture hall number, both correct. Odd, I thought. It wasn't until I flipped through the material for Art of Calligraphy and Runes that the first lesson was noted down at the start of the first chapter. An addendum not originally bound to the spine of the book.

- No more apples please!
- Review material on the board.
- Purchase required material.
- Read Chapter One.
- See you next week.

Signed Z.
Spoiler:
Being early did have its reward, for I was able to examine the blackboard quietly, and had it to myself for quite some time too. A number of diagrams were drawn to show how to hold and not to hold an quill when copying or creating runic script, for doing it improper, could cause serious damage to those who read it. I did not know that!

So rather than supply the material, I was going to have to head to the local shop in Songhall and pick up supplies for this particular class. It's nice to see where my coin is going to.
Spoiler:
After making a note of everything I'd need to purchase, I got lost again. Flight of stairs up, two flights down. Left door out, right door out again. When I stopped for directions, the young lass at the table was nose deep in her books. From what little I caught, I think she was reading about the known effects of lycanthropy. I didn't dare ask. Maybe she had hair on her toes or something.

When I mentioned I would like to find the training facilities so I could practice snapping my fingers, she gave me an odd look, then pointed in the general direction.
Spoiler:
I knew I had to practice, at least to be able to bring forth an illumination around me before my Rude and Helpful: Somatic Gestures course began. There I'd be taught how to deal with high levels of stress while attempting to create a Weave. Being yelled at, going without sleep, poked. The general Combat Casting training. I wasn't looking forward to it at all.
Spoiler:
At the end of the evening, I took to returning to Challo Crumbdee to see if there was anything else I could do before calling it a night. He blinked and looked quite shocked at my query. For once, he seemed not to be the Master of Novices. More like a blink. He reminded me there would be plenty to do as the semester grew on, and dismissed me.

I yawned then. It was going to be an early night every night, starting tonight.

Veritas, Credo, Oculos!

Hagra
Builder

Postby Hagra » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:02 am

Day 8 - Roadtrip!

An early morning rise from bed - still without a roommate - was essential if I was going to be able to gather the material required for my Art of Calligraphy and Runes course. I also didn't want to do this after my introduction to Rude and Helpful: Somatic Gestures later in the afternoon. Who knew how I'd feel after getting an earful while trying to bring forth the only spell I knew.
Spoiler:
It was considerably colder today than any other morning, and all the fireplaces crackled with warmth as I strode through the lightly illuminated passages of the dormitory. When I got outside, it was snowing, though not enough to cause it to stick to the ground. Still, with the ground wet, I was extra careful heading to the shop.
Spoiler:
Heading down Diadamos Alley, I came to the small door of the shop and gave it a nudge. The hinges of the door stick in cold weather, or so I was told. The warmth within greeted me like a blanket wrapped over my shoulders, and rubbing my hands together, I walked to the gentleman tending some brightly coloured bottles.
Spoiler:
He snorted when he saw me approach, shaking his head slightly.

"An Illusionist based on those colours you wear. Well come in, I'll try to help you."

I politely explained the materials I needed for Art of Calligraphy and Runes, and he spun quickly and rummaged at a shelf.

The rolled scroll parchment he tossed over a shoulder bounced on the front counter and landed at me feet. My eyes grew wide when he tossed a glass bottle over the other shoulder!

"You break it, you buy it," he snorted as I gulped, holding out my hands to catch it!

"Excuse me, sir bu ..."

"Just pretend it's an illusion!" he shot back before I could even finish my sentence.

As he returned to the counter, he idly let what looked to be a wand clatter out of his hands.

"Anything else?" he sighed.

"S-s-sp... s-spell dust and ... spell c-crystal." How would Ranspur the Illusionist deal with this guy I thought.

"Yeah, I'm out. Eventually you'll need a potion bottle and this wand, so best to get them now before I'm out of that too. There's been goblin trouble along the road, so I'm short on some supplies. Your best bet would be Sarshel." He stuck out his hand for my coin, and I stepped back outside, my satchel a lot lighter than when I entered.
Spoiler:
That was one rude fellow, and no matter how hard I tried to pull the door with me for a nice loud banging slam, it wouldn't do so. The door closed soft and slow with a gentle click. I thought I could hear a chuckle from inside as I struggled, and then eventually gave up.

When another student passed by to shop inside themselves, they had to put a shoulder into the door just to get it to open. I'm sure that's exactly how the owner intended it to be. Jerk!
Spoiler:
It was still snowing, although not as hard as it once was, but it would probably turn to rain as I trekked down the road. The fellow had mentioned goblins too, but I hadn't seen one at all. In fact, each time I've come to or from Songhall, I've been very confident in knowing the road was safe.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Perhaps that tower in the distance was where these so-called goblins were hiding. Well, I'd take a closer look on my way back if I still had time to do so.
Spoiler:
The road is safe I kept telling myself over and over, even though every rustle or crow call made me look in that direction. I was relieved when I saw the Prince's Road which ran through Outentown, but kept my pace quick, maybe looking over my shoulder a few times too.
Spoiler:
Outentown was quiet, even in the late morning, and I didn't see anyone I knew, not even the Lady in Red showing off my rose. Scooting over to the only merchant I figured might have a few materials I still required, ended in with a mumble as he too, didn't have a one thing. To Sarshel it was.
Spoiler:
I picked up the pace as I felt the first few drops of rain. Walking along the road is a muddy business when all the puddles start to form.
Spoiler:
Even so, that didn't stop a local farmer from working the field. Rain usually doesn't. I gave a glance as I walked by, admiring how he didn't let the rain bother him one bit.
Spoiler:
At least Sarshel would fair much better, with its cobble streets and rain gutters that emptied out into The Easting Reach. Just as I got close, I bumped into a halfling heading in my direction.
Spoiler:
"Afternoon," I said looking up at the downpour. "Miserable day to be on the road."

The halfling nodded in agreement and I squinted my eyes for a sharper look. Were they not supposed to have long beards and smell of ale? Regardless, the halfling frowned sadly in my direction.
Spoiler:
From this distance, I also couldn't quite tell if the halfling was male or female, although I did recall hearing you couldn't tell anyway, since they both grew beards! This particular halfling must be very young then if they're beardless.

A few words we shared, and I came to realize the halfling was a fellow, and a nice fellow, despite his sad demeanor. The downpour didn't help matters with the conversation, and it ended as quickly as it began, before he went one way, and I the other.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I wondered if Sarshel had a giant umbrella over it, for just as I stepped through the South Gate, did the downpour turn into a trickle, and then the sun poked out from behind a dark cloud as if to say welcome!

Darting along the wet streets, I ventured toward a shop I knew would have what I was looking for.
Spoiler:
Upon entering The Golden Quill, I was greeted by a friendly door and even a friendlier fellow behind the counter. He smiled warmly when he saw I was a student from Songhall, and welcomed me into his shop with open arms.

Explaining my situation, and the material required for the Art of Calligraphy and Runes course, he nodded all along with a soft laugh.

Then I was told he didn't have spell crystals or spell dust in his stock, with an apologetic spread of his hands.

I left the shop empty handed. Where was I going to find spell crystals and spell dust? Songhall doesn't carry any and the one shop I thought for sure would have them in Sarshel, didn't either.

I didn't feel good at all. Having such a long trek back up to Songhall, I didn't want to do so in a bad mood. Instead, I went shopping for some new clothes!
Spoiler:
After spending an hour in the tailor getting properly measured and fit, I left Sarshel with a new cloak and matching hood, trimmed in the same stitch pattern and colour as my Arts of Illusion robe. Ranspur the Illusionist never looked this sharp!

Look out Lady in Red, Noal's on the prowl! Growl!
Spoiler:
The walk back toward Outentown was uneventful until I returned to the farm I had passed before. Even then, that farmer was still working his field, wet clothes clinging tightly to his frame, and he was speaking to the halfling fellow and another on the road.

The halfling still wore a sad look on his face, and I offered a query if everything was alright. Responding in kind was the well dressed fellow who mentioned it was.

With the afternoon rolling forward with or without me, I gave them a nod and continued toward Outentown. In passing, I thought about visiting the local tavern. There was still Lady Kallian, Cormac and Jonan who I had yet to give their pay. Perhaps I'd run into one or all of them there.
Spoiler:
Jonan was the only one, and he had quite a lot to drink as it was already. The fellow must have started early morning to already be in that sort of drunken state.

I would have been able to tell him we slew a dragon, and he would have taken the coin regardless.
Spoiler:
As we spoke, the common room started to get busy. Locals and travellers alike stopped in for a meal or a drink. Making sure Jonan would remember who I was, I repeated my name several times and also reminded him that if he saw Lady Kallian or Cormac, to tell them I had their coin.

Satisfied with his bumbling response, it was time to head back to Songhall and that dreaded Rude and Helpful: Somatic Gestures course.
Spoiler:
There was no one else about expect for the locals who called Outentown home, and the sounds of the town faded as I walked along the Prince's Road before taking the left fork toward Songhall.

The twisting road up the growing hills at the base of Songhall was tough enough, but when the rain started to fall, it made the climb that much more difficult. At least I could try out my new hood!
Spoiler:
As the ruined tower came into view, I veered off the road and climbed a grassy hill, stopping now and again to make sure goblins were not about. Clearly, the tale I was told by the shop owner in Songhall were not true. No doubt he had the materials I needed, but being the jerk he is, doesn't want to sell them!

The ruin itself was just that, worn and overgrown with weeds and new saplings. Something had blocked the warped wooden door from inside, perhaps rubble from the crumbling tower above. If anything or anyone was living here, they weren't gaining access from the outside.
Spoiler:
My stomach grumbled a complaint, surely waking up in the tavern with all that freshly baked food. I should have stopped then to eat, but matters were pressing. Plus, Jonan stunk of ale.

An old hunting cabin I had noticed a number of times was my destination for a quick snack of an apple and a pear on the road.

Occupied by a watchman, perhaps even the fellow who made the cabin, he was more than happy to let me stay for my quick meal offering a spare chair and his table to sit at.

When the door shifted from outside, I grabbed for my walking stick, only to have my jaw fall open and my eyes twinkle at the most beautiful sight in all the realms.
Spoiler:
Pulling my hood off slowly, I don't recall if I ever blinked. The Lady in Red! My mouth was going dry, and an apple slice fell from my fingers and rolled across the cabin floor.

The Lady in Red! She bought new pants and they fit her so well!

"See anythin' on the road?" she asked me, the door closing behind her with a slight wooden rattle.

I shook my head, eyes sparkling now at the rose she still wore!

The Lady in Red!
Spoiler:
She shifted toward the window for a quick glance, greeting the fellow who called the cabin home. Walking over toward a crate along the far wall, I caught him checking her out!

He got my best scowl and warning glare I could produce. That's my rose she's wearing, you pervert!

Her new pants hugged her supple thighs, stretching just the right amount to show off curves that made me almost choke on a swallow. Another slice of apple fell from my fingers then.
Spoiler:
With a quick hop, she jumped up onto the crate and sat. Her knee-high boots accentuated her long legs, and I realized my jaw was still hanging open. With a quick click, I licked my dry lips and stumbled along, realizing I had not answered her question.

"N-nothing on the r-road," I began. "W-what are you d-doing up in these h-hills?" Those pants were making me more nervous!

"Goblins. I work here. He's my boss," she nodded toward the other man while fingering the rose I gave her.
Spoiler:
I glanced over at the man, who took a moment to pull his gaze away from the window, offering me a smirk. A smirk! What a jerk and a pervert!

"Goblins? Along the road?"

"Yeah," was her cool reply.

Oh how the way she said that word sent chills down my spine. So cool and confident, and slightly seductive too.

"Why I've come and gone a number of times along the road. Not seen one goblin myself." The mention of goblins pulled me out of my stumbling, for this was serious business. Then I realized the fellow in Songhall wasn't just making up a story about goblins. It was fact!

The Lady in Red would never lie!
Spoiler:
She crossed one boot over the other, pulling the tight fabric of her pants even tighter across her shapely legs, her arms back on the crate in a lazy seated position.

"Yeah. 'cuz I hunt 'em. Watch the road. Keep it safe."

Someone must have told her I was going to be a student in Songhall, and here she was, keeping the road safe for me to travel back and forth. Free of goblins. For me!

My heart melted right then and there.
Spoiler:
We spoke a little more then. Actually, I more or less rambled about my studies and courses, while she listened. An hour must have passed me by, because I soon found myself offering profuse apologies to her as I realized I had a course to attend.

I got another smirk from that fellow as I collected my things from his table. Oh, I'll be back mister. You just wait!

The climb back to Songhall didn't seem as bad this time. With Lady in Red in the region, I couldn't wait for the next roadtrip!

Lady in Red! Strike a pose, there's nothing to it!

Hagra
Builder

Postby Hagra » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:03 am

Day 9 - The Ball Gown

I woke up before dawn with a smile on my face. Oh, how the previous day ended so well, with Lady in Red and I bonding together in that cozy cabin. Wondering if I'd see her soon, I rolled out of bed and shivered. It was cold!
Spoiler:
I'd become so caught up in everything that had happened since my arrival, that I didn't realize it was the tenth-day of the week, meaning I had no courses to attend. After taking a nice hot bath and getting dressed, I spent much of the morning wandering the grounds to examine their selection of books. Lots of books!
Spoiler:
By time time afternoon rolled around, and hearing talk in passing about an upcoming dance, I opted to return to Outentown and see if there was anyone interested in going to this dance. It would be the perfect opportunity for many of my new friends to come visit me and see Songhall at its finest!
Spoiler:
The walk was like any other, and safe! Lady in Red must have been doing a wonderful job at keeping those Goblins away, and all because of me. I sighed deeply as I walked pass the old ruin I had explored the day before. What a beautiful day!
Spoiler:
As I moved through Outentown, I waved to a few of the locals I had come to know, and the merchants in the square were happy to see me again, calling me by name now. The weekend was here, and I walked to the local tavern to see if any of my friends were about, and perhaps, meet new ones.
Spoiler:
Inside was warm, and a low lull danced about as a few patrons had come for a meal, drinks or just to mingle. The corner of my eye caught Lady in Red against the far wall, but she was lost in conversation, so I approached the bar where Lady Kelda and Lady Kallian were standing.

I was really happy to see them both, and Lady Kallian I'd not seen since our journey out along the beach. Her coin which I still had, was promptly delivered.
Spoiler:
"It's good to see you!" I said with my best smile to them both as I approached.

"I've some coin for you." Digging through a pocket for a pouch, Lady Kallian and I made the exchange why Lady Keldra sipped her water mutely.

"My Lady Kelda," I added with a tip of my hat, in case she thought I didn't mean it was good to see her as well.

"Hello."

Lady Kallian tucked the pouch of coins off her hip before adding, "Ah, yes. Thank-you. Have you been looking for me all this time?"

"Mhm. Made a few mentions to others about you. Seems that I counted wrong from our previous outing."

"You're much too kind," she responded with a smile.

Shifting in my boots, I glanced from one to the other. "Oh! I'm not interrupting, am I?"

"Not terribly so. What brings you away from your studies?" Lady Kallian asked while Lady Kelda continued to sip her water while hanging back toward the bar.

"Great!" And a smile split my face at how happy that made me feel, knowing I could speak with them for a while longer.
Spoiler:
"Oh. Uh. Oh! I'm actually looking for for spell crystals and spell dust. You wouldn't happen to know of any place that sells them?" It was true! I was still searching for these hard to find ingredients.

Lady Kallian shifted slowly. "That does sound very exotic." And then she smiled at me! I blinked and swallowed.

"Uh." I scratched the back of my neck to stall as I searched for something to say.

"Well, uh. Not as exotic as you, my Lady." I shuffled too. Wait, did I actually just say those words? I took a deep breath when I realized I had.

"But thank-you for that never-the-less." Doing anything I could to keep the conversation going, I blinked and shifted my attention on Lady Kelda.

"Uh. How is your sister, my Lady Kelda?"
Spoiler:
"Fine. Probably with her instructor."

"Oh? What sort of instructor?"

"Um...a wizardry instructor, I'd imagine. Why do you ask?"

Lady Kallian was very polite as Lady Kelda and I spoke about Lady Iris.

"Well, she should visit Songhall! I've got myself situated there, and started my courses myself, see?"

"Perhaps that is where she is then," Lady Kelda added quickly.

"Oh? I'm learning about the Weave, if that's what she's looking for."

"I'll...let her know if I see her."

Lady Kelda seemed distant, and I wasn't sure why. I had heard she was looking for some fellow, and I think it's her brother too. Remembering Cormac, I asked them both if they had seen the good fellow. He was the last in the group from the sea-side ruins that I had to hand coins over to. I hope he did turn up eventually.
Spoiler:
To cheer Lady Kelda up, I shifted the subject and wondered how often the two of them visited a grooming parlour, for they looked stunning even just standing there.

"Uh. Aye! A place that people go, to be groomed for beauty."

Lady Kelda hadn't said a word, and just keep looking at me. I was cheering her up already!

"Such as the two of you." I gave them both a nod and my best smile.

"Perhaps I should," Lady Kallian said, looking tickled at my compliments toward them both.

It's then I remembered the Songhall Ball! The dance, and what a better way to put a smile on someone's face than to know they're most welcome. That would certainly pull Lady Kelda out of her shell.
Spoiler:
The Songhall Ball sounded like it was going to be the party of the semester, and I really wanted my friends to be there to experience the wonders and beautiful views it had to offer. The three of us spoke nonstop about dancing, and fine clothing, before I had to tell them I wasn't sure where the party was going to take place yet. I'd have to mingle more with the younger students and keep my ear to the ground. Still, they both agreed to go.

"So you're in, I'll ink your names down on the invitations."

"Uh...remember, I'm Iris," Lady Kelda then said.

"You'll have fun. We'll have fun." I planted a hand on a hip, adding, "I know the difference between you two now, my Lady Kelda." I chuckled at her joke. She was making jokes now, a turn for the better. Noal, you charmer you!

Bors then walked in to join us, dropping two sacks on the floor before Lady Kelda, who lowered her eyes yet again. She was one of the meekest people I'd ever met. I also invited Bors to the Songhall Ball, but omitted the fact I didn't know where it was taking place yet. He has yet to respond.
Spoiler:
Then, Lady in Red approached. Her deep conversation in the corner had ended it seemed, and she stopped by for a quick chat. I noticed she was no longer wearing the red rose I had given her - no doubt wilted from the many days since - and made a mental note to get her another one.

This woman was full of surprises, and I couldn't get a grasp of my beating heart when she produced a small amount of spell dust! SPELL DUST! How is that even possible? What are the odds. It's like our hearts are linked, are thoughts as one.

My jaw hung open, my mouth mumbled with so many questions that I couldn't just finish one! Eyes wide, I looked at her, then down at the spell dust. SPELL DUST!

Sadly, she had little time to spare and had some place to be. I'd have to buy lots of roses now!
Spoiler:
By the time she had departed, a female dwarf had joined in on the discussion, and I wasn't going to waste an opportunity here and quickly asked her to the Songhall Ball too. Or was it a halfling? I squinted my eyes in thought.

A few days ago I had met a halfling on the road to Sarshel, a sad looking fellow, so having that experience helped in breaking the ice.

"Uh. Well, he didn't have a beard either, like you. So I gather you're just as young?" I nodded sagely.

Bors stopped as he walked on by, staring down at me, and I was quick to shuffle over so he could get to a table.

"Well, I am not a dver, nor am I male, Dagar." What was a 'dver' I thought, and I swallowed as it was then I realized my mistake at calling her a man. Oh dear! Was she a halfling then too? Oh. Why was this so hard?

"Noal." What's with this Dagar stuff? That's not my first name at all!

"Dagar will do," she responded coolly.

"No, no. It's Noal," I repeated getting on one knee so she wouldn't have to look up at me. Being considerate was what a gentleman must always do. "Are you sure you don't dance? Those are some fine looking boots."

"Well, Dagar, I am awfully busy. Was there anything more or was that it?" Her voice sounded cold.
Spoiler:
"Oh? Oh! Sure, there is a lot! Would you care to take a seat with me at an empty table?"

"No. Anything else?" Her response was very quick on that. And still cold!

"Uh. So you're leaving?"

"That was the plan, it is getting awfully late."

"I'm certainly not one to keep a beautiful lady waiting. Perhaps we can speak again another time." A warm smile split my face.

"I doubt it." And that was that.

My first experience with her obviously didn't go so well, and it must have been the male dwarf comment that ticked her off. I'll have to offer an apology next time I bump into her and give her my best second impression.
Spoiler:
With a deep breath, I swung around to resume speaking with Lady Kelda and Lady Kallian, but they too had gone to sit on a bench by the fireplace, while Bors was mumbling into his mug at a corner table.

I shuffled my feet around, realizing the barkeep was watching me with a grin on his face as I stood in the middle of the common room all alone.

By now, darkness had settled over Outentown, and since it was a weekend, I had nothing to do back in Songhall and was in no rush. So, I shuffled myself outside and across town to a friendly farm and read for awhile. It was still quite early in the evening, so something was bound to turn up.

I'd check the local tavern in a few hours.

spell dust. Spell Dust. SPELL DUST!