Scribblings of Fenneken

For character backgrounds and journals.
Kerstman

Scribblings of Fenneken

Postby Kerstman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:14 pm

Fenneken keeps with her a dark leathered bound book. It bears no cover title. The language varies greatly and ranges from Chondathan to Damaran and from Orcish to Elvish. Not always the correct script for a language is used and she alters those words to sound somewhat phonetically correct when read aloud in another script. As if it is written for her own, not for others. Various drawings are made randomly through the book right next to written text. Black ink and pencils are used for both drawing and text.

I felt the relief already once I entered Raven's Bluff. From that moment on Ylraphon only exists for me as the name of a town, no longer as a memory. The only sadness I felt was about likely never seeing the Flooded Forest again. The relief was even stronger as I staggered into my Sarshel inn room and crashed on the bed. No more sailors and dockworkers. The amount of filth in that department of business is astonishing. Finally I could close two eyes again.

The amount of days and nights since I came off that ship of stinking and vile sailormen is a mystery to me. In the city the looks were there again, but I had expected no less. The countryside turns out to be a little different, for the better. For now I'll say that the stories of Impiltur regarding attitude to different looking folk were true. Something else that stood out was that guards in impeccable equipment do seem organized and stiff. The rumours of them being rule and law-loving may also be true. The travelling sailors and traders that made it to Ylraphon and my mothers bedroom weren't all liars and crooks.

It was at Outentown where I met various folks. Outgoing types, which suits me quite well. It was interesting to meet people who are foreign to Impiltur, just like me. People of other races too. Look at the bottom of this entry for quick summaries. I've been following or leading some of them to spiders, rats, more rats, various insects and finally undead. All interesting experiences, some with more danger than other. The one pained spirit was truly interesting to meet and I'll probably visit it another time. The experience is what I need to grow my talents. Regarding the arcane powers that I wield, thus far none has stormed towards me with a pitchfork, but the title of 'witch' has already been put on me. Maybe not at all in a negative way and it did not come as a total surprise. The travelling and practice is something I'll continue with and sooner rather than later I should head to Vlasta.

I learnt that it can help to be under the wings of a noble Lord or Lady. Just as a back-up in case I may be in trouble with some fool of the authorities who cannot comprehend what I am working with. After doing some quick research I stumbled upon an interesting type. A Lord Hysunt who supposedly lives in a haunted manor and the rumours go he thinks he talks to spirits. Upon walking to his manor his guards stopped me and after paying a sum of tax and an oath it was done. That gives me something to wave in their faces in case I might ever be dragged to the dungeons. Besides, maybe Lord Hysunt's political power can help increase mine.

~\~Spider-monster~/~

Xue. A foreigner from other lands. Skilled warrior and seeming quite self-sufficient. Which I like. She was struck badly and may have been very close to death. After questioning she could not remember much of the incident. No visions.
Calmont. When I first met him I almost took him for a bandit and was close to scar his face. He turned out to be quite the benefactor. Naive and showering me with gifts. It would be rude to decline them, wouldn't it? Needs reminding to go supplied when exploring.
Rodrook. For a gnome capable enough as a guard. Dependable. A shame he wants to be a bookworm wizard.
Corker. Dependable warrior and one to frequent the Outentown tavern. Shows less than he feels or thinks.
Dagnir. Competent fighter, incompetent leader and general personality. An enormous tendency to compensate so he must be worthless in many fields. Also likes to fight hordes of zombies without any supplies.
Annaliese. Oversized chunk of bright flowerpatterns. Her voice hurts my ears, but it is funny to confront her with my average haggard look. Her heart may stop pounding if I'd really try my best.
Anzair. Slow elf, but seems dependable. Probably more wise and perceptive than most of the humans.
Ornak. Halforc with whom I closed an interesting deal. A brute, but I haven't seen him in action yet. He's comfortable with speaking Orcish.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Kerstman

Re: Scribblings of Fenneken

Postby Kerstman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:15 pm

It's since a fiveday now that I'm camping in the wilds with only the company of Sigi. After two days I moved my camp somewhat closer to the ruins, but it'd be unwise to sleep between the stone walls. During some nights the mist clings to the old stones as if it's indicating what lays below. It reminds me somewhat of the Flooded Forest and it's atmosphere. The expedition down here was very interesting and it's good to know that there are others willing to explore such places. It's something most would choose to stay clear of. There were some tensions and misunderstandings, but I suppose that should be expected behaviour when facing walking bones and shrieking ghosts. Corker will need a talking to and I should locate one or a few outgoing priests before I'll descend into the lower ruins again. Others will be very keen to have a priest along. While I'd say that not all holy men and women are experts regarding the undead they usually do have the abilities to fight them. I'm not sure the spirits can be blamed for giving a hard time to any that comes here, since it seems to be a place of torment, torture and suffering. That alone may well be the cause of the situation, but I can't be certain of it until I see or hear evidence.

Just before I headed to here for making my camp I had a conversation with Anzair. Apparently he sees me having a place in the grand scheme the elves are plotting for this region. I have to admit that he's not yet treating me like some of his kin have, but I made clear that my personal interests come first. He was telling me not to throw my life away because of some trivial matter. It shows his lack of understanding and him seeing me as a tool for some cause I am hardly concerned about. On the other hand for an Elf he's frank and direct and he promised he'd help me out with this situation. Against the beetles he showed his skills in combat and that may be most useful when we're going down here again.
Mains

Alts

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:18 pm

This is one of the better views over the lake near Vlasta. I have settled down here for the time being and it bears some resemblance with where I come from. There are quite some interesting places to see in the surroundings, most of all in the vast bog northeast of the town. I spent a lot of time in Midrikaul. It is calmer, more remote and closer to the bog. Getting to this part of Impiltur wasn't all that easy. I asked Anzair for his guidance and he gave it unwillingly. He guided me across some steep hills and through some some fast running streams. Even through goblin terrain. Hopefully he feels proud of me that I could keep up with him. It was a few days later that I discovered the road between Laviguer and Sarshel. Very typical of him.

I think my stay and my activities here have increased my skill and empowered my abilities. It feels as a confirmation that I am on the right track. It's still pleasantly surprising that I'm still meeting little resistance from my traveling companions. The only real incident that occurred was that Ornak spoke jestingly about witchburning in a tavern full with simple countryside folk. I doubt in this town of farmers and fishermen there is a lack of fish hooks, spears and pitchforks. The brute doesn't realize what the real result of such words can be, but I made very clear that he should never do it again. Besides that incident it is still so that even paladins and triadists do not seem uncomfortable with my abilities. As it should be, because I mean little harm to them or the common folks they like to protect.

The paladin is one of Sune and his name is Jerek. Unlike popular belief thus far he isn't one to coat everything in love and sweetness. Thankfully. A typical knight in shiny armor, but without the white horse. Me and Lori concluded in Songhall that the men we met in Impiltur weren't that interesting, but I suppose that was before he showed his locks and smile to her. It suits me just fine. If there is anyone I may consider a friend in these lands then it must be Lori. Surprising as she is a bookworm and from a very different environment than me, but we may complement eachother and she's surprisingly reasonable for one with a love for parchment. We only just met and I'll have to see how this goes, but thus far it is interesting and I am buying some favours with supplying her a good amount of scrolls. Who knows one day she may be good for keeping the paladin in line. She is also the first one to make a request to me regarding my talents and my research. Or perhaps it was me who made the offer, I do not exactly remember. I've came up with a plan for how to perform the ritual and there are a few suitable locations for it. It may or may not work, but I expect it shall give me some new experience and lessons.
Mains

Alts

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:20 pm

An always soft bed to lay down in, clean sheets touching my skin every day, expensive wine to drink, exotic food to eat, fine-quality robes to wear and mingling with the local nobility. Had any told me that before setting sail and I would have burst out laughing. Apparently I am good at adapting to my environment. Better than expected. I actually looked forward to Sarshel's comfort after having been in Vlasta and Midrikaul for about a moon. Yet I think that after another moon of living this life of comfort there may be some longing for a more remote and quiet environment again. Hopefully Liam will still be in Vlasta if I go there, because we could do with some more of that special lotus resin-cheesecake of his. Even without the cake I'm smiling more than ever, so I must be happier than ever before. Life here in Impiltur so far seems to be very good and that must contribute to some personal change. Lori's companionship is quite enjoyable and it helps to share some personal secrets with her. It's also better to smoke together than to smoke alone. I'm glad that I was able to tell her something more about her brother and that she followed my lead at the graveyard. Not many would have. I may do another attempt to get in contact with this William, but we shouldn't rush it. For the time being we should stick to what we're doing, think about what we see and feel and analyze where it brings us. Maybe I should bring up my plans for the underground ruin near Outentown whenever Lori her spellcaster gathering is happening.

Following is a description of Liam's special cheesecake. The handwriting is very different than her earlier scribblings, as if jotted down when in a drugged state.

(( You'll find a description of the cake in the spoiler tag. It's OldGrouch's description of it and a bit of a thumbs up from me to him for having come up with this ))
Spoiler:
Mains

Alts

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:20 pm

It guess I have been living in a haze for several moons, yet it feels as I've been asleep for a mere two days. A part of me regrets forgetting what I added to my pipeweed, but looking back at the missed moons this may be for the best. At least I suppose I was still conscious or scary enough to let none mug or kill me as I sauntered Impiltur's lands. There is a vague memory of having some business with Ornak and my Lord. As well as the image of a large monster. Could it be a small dragon? It is best to head back to Sarshel again and speak with my favourite brutish bodyguard. Hopefully Lori is still in this region, but I suppose that we may have to get accustomed to seeing eachother rarely. The curse of being two brilliant women with great goals. Nevertheless, I'd like to catch up with her if possible. After and probably during this hazy period it seems that the sensations that pull at my soul are many and it makes me feel disoriented and absent minded. They have grown in number and strength and at times they drive me nuts. Perhaps it is best to find a moment of sober serenity so I can fully focus myself on them and see where it goes from there. All in all there is much to do and I'll simply rest when I am dead. Unless it is too good to be haunting some people.

Browsing back, I had to smile at reading my descriptions of some personae. Some are still quite accurate while others have developed. At the very least it is time to add a few more names and make an update here and there. I'm probably forgetting all the people who I have seen less than a moon's cycle.

Ornak. A loyal hound, but more than that. At first I considered him merely very useful, but he might be one of my closer friends. It's still a strange word to me, but nevermind. Much of it is because I strained myself to draw his spirit back. Something that none else needs to know for the time being.
Lori. A reasonable and kind bookworm and parchemt lover. Who would have thought they existed? A creature of delight.
Elis. Her company is nice because her obscure antics make many suspecting eyes shift to her rather than to me. Next to this she is this sweet innocent looking girl who is into everything that animals do. Including eating orc liver. Lethal when she feels the need to defend herself.
Anzair. Looking back I did not like him all that much in the beginning. He has been more bearable and seems to care for my good health no matter what I do. An ally, but still one with a strong opinion about what I should do and don't.
Celith. Another elf who has not been unfriendly to me. Most curious. For the rest he is rather typical.
Kallian. Some kind of elfish city urchin from more exotic lands. She likes to play mysterious and likes attention of almost any kind.
Sagi. A brat, but a nice brat. For his own good he needs the types who don't always agree with him.
Corker. A simple and humble man with a weapon and some armor. Seemingly keeping it simple, but he has his principles.
Artemis. A radiant appearance where ever she goes. She seems intrigued in me because of my heritage and my talents. I vaguely recall that she was somewhat understanding after I provided an explanation.
Jerek & Kelda. High and mighty, although Kelda can be terribly shy. For a Sunite the stick is more often up Jerek's rear than in his knickers. Best play nice when they suddenly appear, though.
Jonan. He seems to like to have a reputation of a whoring groinscratching pig. However, I can bear him a lot better than any snob and he keeps his hand to himself. Especially his right one I'd guess.
Noal. Confused bookworm who should play the market a few levels lower with both women and ambitions. Annoyingly kind at times and seemingly missing in action.
Perry. A hin that has not mugged me yet for as far as I know. Business-like and my ideal assassin if I would need one.
Hroin. Your average grouchy dwarf. If he wasn't bald I would fondle him just to make him even grouchier.
Mains

Alts

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Midrikaul. The Bog. Away from the dead and hollow stones of a place that is both dead and more alive than ever with spirits, but not the ones I wish to hear all the time. The balance is disrupted and it is not up to me to restore it. Besides, there are plenty who concern themselves with the well being of others, or they wish to be seen as such. Regardless, they hardly can do any more harm and even if all their toil will be fruitless still it will kill time. When the present is turned into the past and tomorrow becomes today there is a natural process of restoration going on. I am the last one to care about people wasting their time and energy as long as it does not affect me. Some of them are capable of speeding the progress and I trust them to kick away others who are in their way. This is funny as I have sometimes been considered one who meddles and is not able to contribute much, if at all. On several occassions they have been right, but the motivation for this opinion has always been arrogance. There are those with a closed mind and an arrogant air who consider themselves the judges of what other people can and cannot do. Limited minds, even if they are as smart to wield magic from a book or scroll. Strong powers indeed, but if someone considers that the pinnacle of arcane power he or she is no better than a kobold who took an axe to the head. There are some so called 'simpletons' with a more open mind than a few brilliant figures who claim too much authority and right for decision making. I shall always rather have the former by my side and they will actually be the smarter one in my book. I am sure a few enormous disasters could have been prevented in history when a ruler would have replaced an arrogant and selfish advisor by a simple and logical thinker with an open mind. And now I am rambling, but it has been a frustration and probably will continue to be frustrating at moments in the future. I should also not forget that the last year has brought me much and perhaps the most important of it all is a degree of understanding and acceptance from several people with influence in Impiltur. The more persons who want to vouch for me when I am in trouble, the better it is. Either way, for now I shall remain in the countryside. It is hardly comfortable and peaceful, since the demonic army ravaged these parts as well and a soft bed is still unheard of in these parts. What matters to me now is that there were less victims here and that helps in keeping me sane. Besides, it's been too long since I have made my stay here. Without my trusted waterpipe and Sayilds (or however it is written) being abandoned, the swamp mist will be one of my spiritual guides. Perhaps now winter has mostly come to a halt I should see if these funny looking mushrooms grow in the hills again.

The next page is fully covered by a rough charcoal sketch. It seems to depict the Sarshel City Square. Many of the buildings in both the front- and background are damaged and the cobblestone streets seem to have been plowed over. Creating small piles in one place while there is a crater elsewhere. In the centerpiece there is a single corpse laying in the streets seeming to resemble Serace Highblade. She is surrounded by a multi-layered circle of wicked open-mouthed ethereal beings that seem to float around her as if she is the center of a spinning wheel of wailing and screaming spirits. The skies over Sarshel are pitch-black save for the laughing face of the Demon Prince that seems to be like a sun from a most dark and evil place.
Mains

Alts

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:35 pm

No mirror is ever the same since that day.

I see my reflection.
Then it becomes vague, as if losing visual focus.
Very vague. Colours change. Shapes are being smeared out. It shifts into a shapeless image.
I hear her voice. She sounds friendly.
The shapes turn into a silhouet. An image is being formed. Colours find their places.
I see her. Trapped and lost.
She sees me. I look at her. Our eyes meet.
She stands still. I stand still.
The mirror is in the way.
My arm itches. I twitch.
Slowly I extend my arm. I offer a hand.
She takes a step forward.
I take a step forward.
She extends her arm.
I hear her voice, but she does not speak. She sounds friendly.
She smiles a little.
Our fingertips touch. Our hands touch.
She does not feel warm.
We don't touch a mirror. We don't touch glass. We touch only eachother, the ground with our feet and the air around us.
She takes a step forward.
I take a step back.
Our gaze at eachother remains unbroken.
Now the mirror is behind her.
She says her name.
This time her lips move.
I smile.
It ends.

Every time again.
I have lost count.
Is that snow outside?
Is the year still 1366?
A lot of dust on the floor.
I should go outside.
Mains

Alts

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:31 pm

Two Elves. A friendly first impression. One of them comes from where I come from. Not the same town, but the same land. She knows both. Perhaps she knows my family. I did not want to ask and I will not want to ask. Never. Those people and that place are behind and beneath me. I am free of it. Only the Flooded Forest will forever be a part of me.

I will keep myself informed about them. First impressions can be different than later impressions. Even for supposedly less flimsy and whimsical species.

But it must be said, the meeting was pleasant.
Mains

Alts

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:10 pm

I open this again to write and I smile at the last entry. It was before last winter. It looks like a long time ago, but is not.

After we first met and before we went to my cottage.

Before fighting the darkness within her. Defeating it.

Never have I searched for the origins. They just came and are.

Many stories were shared. Stories of the Flooded Forest.

Corellon's Tears, the Warden and Velvet. Throstulgrael.

Am I Sehanine's agent without knowing it? A nice thought. A nice trick she plays if it is true.

Perhaps I am more elven than I thought I was.

Mistress of the Mists. Vanguard of the Veil.

A temporary gift. A boar tusk from twenty human generations ago. A hunter's trophy. Waystalker.

The skin copy of the Snowflower. I see it from my window.

The Deathbringer who brought death to a cousin.

Mirrored, echoing spirit. Azari and others? The search for 'fonts'. The blue gem and glowing tattoos.

Malice. The hex. Kelda. The cure.

Dilpur.
Mains

Alts

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Wed May 04, 2022 9:30 pm

This I wrote years ago. Seven. Perhaps Eight

Jonan. He seems to like to have a reputation of a whoring groinscratching pig. However, I can bear him a lot better than any snob and he keeps his hand to himself. Especially his right one I'd guess.

All those years he stayed true to most of that. Itch was cured by Kelda. Whoring by Allie

First a mercenary. A tool. Useful

Gruff, but capable. Rude, but honest

Dependable. Skilled

Good to have inbetween me and orcs, trolls, goblins or worse

A misfit. An outcast. Not liked by many

I have a soft spot for such

Same as Ornak. They both helped me. A lot

Better a rude, stinking, scratching, foulmouthed mercenary who is that

Than a dashing handsome knight who knows not how to hold a sword

He never questioned me. What I did. What I do. Only now I wonder why

Perhaps we were friends sooner than I realized

Perhaps I never thanked him enough for the support he actually gave. In his way