Ornak, A monster amoung you?

For character backgrounds and journals.
OldBear

Ornak, A monster amoung you?

Postby OldBear » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Ornak has no clan name or family that he knows of. What little he was to learn was that his orc father was captured in Thesk. At the time of Ornak’s birth, he was a powerful fighter in the pits who won many battles for his master. After one especially rewarding fight for his master, he was given a reward. One of the human women who served as a serving wench was tossed into his cell for his pleasure. It was from this rape that Ornak was born. As he grew in size, he was taught to fight learning the various weapons available. The thought was he would succeed his father eventually in making the master a great deal of gold in the arena. If he did well he was allowed to see the sun and exercise in the yard in the back of the inn. If not, he stayed in the cells beneath the arena in the deepest levels.

Ornak is not really good or evil or following the law per se. By nature, he tends to be somewhat chaotic in his thinking. He has in the past been none to particular in his choice of employment. He spent some time worked for a loan shark by collecting debts and doing whatever it took to do his job, including threatening to break the occasional leg or hand depending on the circumstances. After bearing his massive incisors with his hand resting on his blade, he seldom had to follow through with a threat. He as stolen food, when he was hungry, especially when he first started out on his escape from the slavers who held him captive. But he also spent time as a caravan guard, killing bandits who attacked and protecting the items being shipped. Not once did he steal from the caravan even when the opportunity might arise. It is his strong personal code that kept him from doing so. If he gives his word-he keeps it. If he takes your gold as an employer you have his absolute loyalty. At worse, he will give his notice he is leaving, but never if his master is in current danger. It is not clear where this personal code came from, but most likely from the weapon master who taught him to survive in the arena. It was not until after this man lost an arm to infection and then eventually died, because the slave master decided that he was too old to waste money on healing, that Ornak escaped the arena. He had won a major engagement and the master, drunk on his earnings and the wine imbibed, forgot to have Ornak taken to his cell. Ornak managed to slip out of the kitchen where he had gone for a meal and make is way to the docks. There he stowed away on a merchant ship heading for the mainland. Between threats to the captain and hard work, he persuaded the captain not to return him to the slaver’s island. From there he made his way along the coast line putting the fighting skills he had learned to benefit himself and not his former master.

In general, Ornak stands about 6’2” tall and weighs around 200 lbs. all of which is muscle. His father must have been from a gray orc tribe in Thesk, since Ornak has a definite gray tint to his skin. It seems odd to see blue-green eyes on one such as him, but that must be from his mother. His body has numerous scars from learning the trade, though they are all faded with time as he improved greatly when he reached his full size. He keeps his hair long so that it acts as a padding beneath his helm.

He has been heard to swear sometimes by Gruumsh but normally he would be heard muttering to Tempus for aid in battle to defeat his foes. No doubt this came from his weapon master as well. One would not call him a particularly pious person. He is normally seen in armor with a hand and half blade or bastard blade. It seems fitting for a bastard he sometimes says to use such a blade

OldBear

Re: Ornak, A monster amoung you?

Postby OldBear » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Spoiler:
The following entries are a loose translation of what Ornak would have written in a beaten up rather dirty journal. It grants the reader his thoughts more so than the actual language and words he would have used, since some would be in common other orcish.
Something new has happened to me. Something I never thought would really happen! I have a place to call my own, granted I am only renting it for now, but it sounds as if I keep up the rent and stay out of trouble it will be mine to keep after a year. My Thayan lord contacted me. It seems he had received my letter after all. He found a place on the docks where I could rent. The history of the place is a bit sketchy or I dinna ask the right questions. Hard to say. From lookin at it, it appears it was a small bar at one time. Has two tables and a bar downstairs. There be a separate living place upstairs, but no kitchen. I don't cook much anyway, but one can cook on the main floor then take it upstairs to eat. Had breakfast yesterday with Celith. We sat lookin out over the harbor, had breakfast and a nice talk. Seems he comes from some mountains I never heard of and now I don't recall where.

The rent was steep for one like me, and I ain't so certain my lord ain't frontin some of the cost considerin the size of de place. On the other hand, one has to watch where they walk due to the seagull dropins outside the door. Was attacked by two muggers on the way back from the Belle too. And of course, smugglers are rumored to be operating out of a place just behind me. Still it is a place to call mine. It is a place where I don't stand out all that much and can be comfortable. Best thing is, the Kingfisher is just across de street almost from me. Brought home a big mug of dere beer the other night to my place to celebrate. Dinna buy the cheap stuff neither.

Well got to close dis here book, since I need coin badly. Got dis place to pay for and found some better armor that put me deep in debt. No like owein folks. Not sure writin in dis book or fact got a place to live has raised me somewhat out of my mood. Still I do be feelin better den I was.

OldBear

Postby OldBear » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:55 pm

I am lost. I feel as if I am besieged on all sides. Those that I have worked with on the docks have turned their backs to me. Whether their true feelings are coming out or they fear reprisal I cannot say. Men curse me and spit at me. Women hide the eyes of their children and mouth monster at me. One of the remaining men who will talk to me on the docks, whispered stories of tar and feathers or waiting for a heavy rain to protect the surrounding buildings and burning me out.

Even those I travel with confuse me. Miss Fenneken says to stand up to them, wear my armor and carry a licensed weapon in full display. Dawnbringer advocates for shiny new looking armor and no weapon. So far I try to hide my face and body in my cloak and hood, but my very size gives me away. I cannot help but wonder if my unseen task to make the streets of the docks safer for the residents is not coming back to haunt me now. Are those behind the muggers and smugglers leading the charge in this matter? And what of the parchments being hung around the city? Who is the author of that hate?

It is the fire I think I fear the most. It brings back old nightmares of being burnt alive. Those probably go back to that caravan I was guarding. We had holed up in an old abandoned fort for the night when we were attacked by goblins. They tried to burn us out and the running and scrambling in the light of the fire was a nightmare in itself.

I have never had a home before, and now I must wonder if that was the best thing for me. I am used to the hate, the locals making the sign to ward off demons around me. But here it was different. I had thought I was accepted. I let my guard down and thought I had found a home. Now to see it wretched away is almost more than I can bare. Yet I dare not say anything. No one would believe a monster like me would have feelings. My life is battle, to destroy the foes before me, to guard what I am hired to protect. I dare not show any sign of weakness.

What makes it even worse, is I had an idea where I thought a monster might be tolerated. The graveyard keeper was found dead. In my naiveté, I had thought that would a job and place to live that would not bother those that hate me. Sagi pointed out, that is where the beloved of the people are buried. They would never tolerate a monster caring for their love ones. And the position itself, he said is thought of so low that it would most likely bring out even more hatred.

My only chance that I can see, is to move to the countryside if this current wave of hatred does not recede. Miss Fenneken has sworn fealty to a lord that governs the lands around Outentown. There is a peaceful place along the Mal River that I have found. Tis too rocky to plant and far enough out that most would not want to live there, or so I think. Perhaps a home could be carved there out of the rock. One that I could fortify and make a bulwark against the goblin raids. Who knows, I must just wait to see if her lord will grant me an audience.

OldBear

Postby OldBear » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Spoiler:
The above entries were taken from the old server and all take place prior to the current date. He now has a position as a Border Guard for a local lord.

OldBear

Postby OldBear » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:21 pm

To My Lord Sulyim Nassour of Oldfeld
Dear Lord Nassour,

There has not been much to report to you of late. The tower foundations were in before the frost hit and the men continue at their labors. I have spent some of my time cutting firewood to keep them warm during their rest and the rest riding the roads along the Mal River. I took funds that I had saved and used them to purchase a gelding from the stables at Sarshel. He is well trained and strong enough to carry myself, armor and other gear along the roads which you have assigned to me to watch.

A few days back, past the abandoned tower I was attacked by a lone one of the bird folk that some call Kenku. Following up on that, I found five others behind their gate and dispatched them since they had attacked first. From there, I explored the area and found several more dead bird folk by what I believe to be their back entrance. Following the trail of dead bodies, I emerged upon a platform high among the trees. There I found a group of seven dead humans. I was able to dispatch six more who had knives out and appeared ready to mutilate the body even more then their current sad shape. I then began to carry the bodies out one at a time to a safe place close to the road. I was met then by three more of their friends, who I was told were there to scout for the party since one had escaped and told them of the doom of his companions. How in the world only one of a party of 8 made it out is beyond my knowledge. I can only suppose he was lagging behind, since the rest all fell within ten paces of each other. Of the 8, I knew two of them. One is an apprentice to Hroin, the dwarf that I told you of who hates me and my kin, by the name of Pine and the other was my friend Fenneken. You might recall her since she was the one holding the cloak we delivered to you. I paid the Abbot for their care out of my own funds as well, though Miss Fenneken has since repaid me.

I write this to you, mostly as a general report but that also the bird folk while diminished in numbers for now, will bear watching. I did not dare make sure the entire tribe was found since I felt my first obligation was to the safe retrieve of the dead humans. I hope this would follow yer wishes?

Respectfully,
Ornak
Spoiler:
It would appear that Ornak hired a scribe to transcribe this report due to the proper grammar and neatness of the writing. As well as the scribe's mark at the bottom corner of the document.

OldBear

Postby OldBear » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:26 pm

A Prayer
Lord Tempus,

Never asked much from ye, figure yer too busy to think of the likes of me. I basically try to follow yer tenants and so when Bors asked for aid to restore the bones of one of yer fallen soldiers, I had no trouble saying yes.

But now I be seekin yer guidance since not sure where else to turn. Ye see we got captured by a large band of orcs. To try to fight dem immediately would have gotten us killed in no time flat. They tried to recruit us and figured that Ser Jerek and Sister Kelda belonged to us. Bors be a smart one, he agreed to consider it and we be blind folded and taken to the area to be tested. Turns out we were put in a jail cell. Then we found out why being recruited. Turns out the chief he did have himself a half breed daughter. Not bad lookin neither. Anyways she offered to smuggle out Jerek & Kelda if we just beat em up real good. They we could join the band. Guess the test was we had to kill them but she be willing to accept near death. She had to leave and during that time, Jerek found a shiv by sitting on it I guess. He was able to bless it and break the lock then get us out too. We got back in our armor just as the guard came by. Took him captive and I broke down the door holding us in. Shame that the lass came back, but I managed to hit her on the head and knock her out. Sort of hope she not too badly hurt.

Ah, while we were in our cell, Bors found the remains of the warrior we were to return to the Field of Lamentation’s where yer old warrior lives. We had just picked up and packed up his bones when his spirit returned. He did some kind of ritual fight with Bors and decided he was of Tempus after all. Anyways he came back as we were escaping and offered to not only fight with us, but to recall the spirits of all his fellow warriors there. In de mean time, Celith who had been with us up to the time of capture, had managed to go unseen by de ones who found us. Somehow he got down to the level of our cells and met up with us as we were going up. So with his help and dat of them fallen warriors, we managed to wipe out the entire group there. I even managed to take de head of the fool who had been poking and prodding at Sister Kelda. I was showed it to her but she sort of looked a bit green about it. So hope it be all right left de head there and didn’t put it on a spike where I live now.

Now here be why I be prayin to ye for guidance. I was sore tempted to join that group. I thought of the glorious battles I could be in with them. Maybe even have a chance to join up with de daughter of the chief. I’d be able to make something of myself beyond just a simple warrior perhaps. Thing is figured wouldn’t sit well with Ser Jerek and Sister Kelda, dem being of the Triad. Am I being a coward not to meld with dem orcs and make dem a fighting force to be truly feared and honored? Ain’t never had a chance to be more than just a sell sword before, did I blow me chance that ye offered?