Community - Gender & Sexuality

For discussion, feedback, praises, criticism, concerns or suggestions on topics in Offline RP, Character Backgrounds or general roleplay.
Obsidian Sea

Community - Gender & Sexuality

Postby Obsidian Sea » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:36 pm

As a topic that has been resting very heavily on my shoulders for some time now, I have come to a certain conclusion that the best way in which I can handle my concerns is in open and frank discussion with the community. It might not come as a surprise to many what I mean to discuss, which is the gratuitous depiction of homosexual female characters among the TER community. Of late, it has become an interruptively prevalent aspect of the community in the eyes of many players, and while I will not give name to them, I do hope that they feel comfortable to come forward and express their views on the matter here as well.

It is considered by some to be the inevitable direction in which online RP can do, be it with NWN or elsewhere, when a slow but certain demographic of straight male players use their chosen medium of RP as a means of sexual wish fulfillment. A similar topic existed on our old forums in which this matter was discussed, although it was part of a larger conversation concerning the ulterior sexual motive of RP which I hope we need not have again, though I shall readily throw myself in to if it ever becomes necessary.

I dislike to see so many lesbian/bi-sexual female characters on the server, and I will say that plainly. It has hard, once you reach a point of familiarity with the players behind the characters, to accept that their characters and the implications of their sexuality are sincerely considered. It is a disruption to the immersion of some players, and I have known it to be a strain on the community in the past just as it strains me and my enjoyment of the server presently.

Fantasy and RP give us the opportunity to enjoy, explore, and inhabit personalities, careers, and ideas that we are not always able to reconcile with our day-to-day lives. That is something to be celebrated, and it is what draws communities of RPers together, such as the one that we have here on TER which has provided endless hours of excellent RP for me and (I hope) for you. Nevertheless, I deplore the idea that it could become a place employed sheerly as a play for sexual gratification through fantasy, nor do I wish to see gender or sexuality treated as a flimsy commodity.

So I have chosen to lay my views on this bare, knowing that the alternative of letting myself become estranged from the server or to grow bitter with anybody on the matter is not a solution that profits me. I am reassured in standing up for my principles by the knowledge that I am not alone, nor have ever been, in disliking this seemingly inevitable trend in RP communities. To many players, OOC, it is offensive. IC, it can be considered interruptive to the setting, especially as it often takes a very carefree view of itself and an expectation of being validated - a thing made all too easy by growing communities of players who indulge in this style of RP. It can lead, as it has done before, to the introversion and pre-planning of certain corners of the community, when it begins to exclude players who are not involved, or plan in the direction of players and their characters who are known to reciprocate it.

I implore players to seriously consider if it is necessary to create these characters here. I, for one, am willing to make it known that I feel at times discouraged to log in or interact with the server due to the steadily increasing amount of gratuitous female homosexuality that I perceive, and I dread the conclusion to which such a train of thought might lead me. So, without apology, I'm making my stance on the matter heard, and hope to hear yours, too.
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Feronius

Re: Community - Gender & Sexuality

Postby Feronius » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:42 pm

As long as the IC ramifications are being considered and portrayed in accordance to the setting, I do not feel strongly about it OoC.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac

Vogelens

Postby Vogelens » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Last edited by Vogelens on Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Active:
Kara Farrowwood ~ Druidess of Silvanus

Danuvis

Postby Danuvis » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:46 pm

-
Last edited by Danuvis on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dawnbreak

Postby Dawnbreak » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:59 pm

I echo all of the above and add my full agreement.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Artifice

Postby Artifice » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Huh. Well, I have to admit, I didn't expect to have to read anything like this. Then again, I also haven't seen any roleplay based around relationships aside from a rather well played interaction between a man and a woman. So I might be missing something. Yet I have to ask...

Why would this offend anyone OOC?
Sarushan Folhana - Bard
Louhi Laakkonen - Priest

Ataraxia

Postby Ataraxia » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:29 pm

Artifice wrote:Huh. Well, I have to admit, I didn't expect to have to read anything like this. Then again, I also haven't seen any roleplay based around relationships aside from a rather well played interaction between a man and a woman. So I might be missing something. Yet I have to ask...

Why would this offend anyone OOC?
I don't think offend is the right word for it. A roleplay setting is forged by a balance of specific themes and the closer to that balance we play, the more the experience feels immersive. When sexual themes begin to eclipse other areas of RP, it can be considered disruptive and immersion breaking. More-so if inclusivity suffers in consequence.

Artifice

Postby Artifice » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:43 pm

I think this needs to be thought out very carefully, myself. Gay, lesbian and transgender themes and characters have been a part of the forgotten realms for decades. For DMs or players to suggest that the setting has themes that differ from that would concern me, especially on a server that claims to seek a very high level of adherence to the lore. It's simply not the case for the forgotten realms. There are other fictional settings that do, however, present cultures that are much less accepting of these things. I can't comment on OOC preferences, but that sort of thing speaks for itself.

Then again, if it's a matter where DMs are stating that the quality of some RP isn't up to standard, well that I can understand. But that doesn't quite seem to be what is said here? Though I will admit again that I might be missing the entire point. I haven't seen any suggestions of 'sexual roleplay'.

Anyway, that's just what I think. Don't let me hog the topic.
Sarushan Folhana - Bard
Louhi Laakkonen - Priest

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:44 pm

I agree with the original post. The current situation - whereby, if I count correctly there are 6 active lesbian/bisexual females - frustrates me. This breaks immersion for me. The opportunity to play such females is freely available elsewhere, and I humbly hope players (re)consider what they utilise TER for.

Kindly note that I make this post as a fellow individual player rather than staff representative; one player interested in fostering TER the way I have come to enjoy and appreciate it.

Thanks for reading and sharing your own thoughts.

~ Copper
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:50 pm

I have to agree 100% with Obsidian Sea.

-

Edit: Since everyone's whitewashing their posts--

Here was a less than diplomatic statement of my own agreement, which I apologize for, and apologize for later in the thread.
Last edited by Poisonous on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...