Low amount of people IG. What to do?

For discussion, feedback, praises, criticism, concerns or suggestions on topics in Offline RP, Character Backgrounds or general roleplay.
Kerstman

Low amount of people IG. What to do?

Postby Kerstman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:45 pm

For plenty of you this may be perfectly clear, but for some it may be an interesting thread. Also I think it is healthy to bring something like this up every once in a while when there's a spell of few players IG.

You may notice few people online and it may discourage you to log on since it may well turn into a rather fruitless evening. Whatever this fruit may be. It can be cool rp, a dungeon run or anything that makes sense for your PC in game that will be fun for you. Anything else that is not like waiting a long time for something to happen with a high chance of it not happening. Unless ofcourse you enjoy that, but I doubt most players do. If I may, I have a few suggestions for such moments and I'd welcome any other players to share their thoughts on these or provide their own. Whether you are experienced or new, it doesn't matter.

- Tells, tells and tells. Just say hi to the other PC who happens to be IG. Heck, say hi to all of them. It often is the starting point of having PC's meet up. It's metagaming in the best kind of way to agree with other people to have your PC's meet up and do stuff. Do not be afraid to rub other players in the wrong way. The worst stuff I have seen happening after sending / receiving greeting tells is either no response or a 'sorry, I am occupied IG'. If you do not bombard those players with a ton more tells then there is zero harm done.

- The @locate tool. Simply type @locate and you learn of the rough location of other PC's. Something all the experienced players are no doubt familiar with.

- Try to not leave a person singled out. This applies to the groups that are about to move in a situation when there happens to be one other PC IG. I consider it extremely nice to at least drop a tell at this player and ask them if they wish to meet up. There are some potential but's about this, however.
---Some rp moments or dungeon runs are only meant for a select group. When this singles out another player I still consider it polite to drop him or her a tell and state you are up with something, but for IC reasons it is limited to said group. Oh and be 100% honest about it. The player who is singled out should understand this situation. It all boils down to some degree of mutual trust, understanding and adult behaviour.
---It can happen that after party addition A joins and the server party is complete player B logs on. Obviously player B deserves the same courtesy. It may take a few moments before he also joins or not. And then player C logs on. And a few moments player D joins after C. This is a pain especially for the players who were online from the beginning and their rp session or dungeon run gets interrupted or delayed. Or both. It just happens and there is none to blame for it, but coincidence. My only advise here is again to be patient and understanding on all ends.

- Take initiative and look to yourself for solutions. Is nothing happening for you / your PC? Organize stuff rather than expect to be invited while the waiting for invitations frustrates you. If such behaviour is not your PC's cup of tea then I am 100% fine with being OOC about it. Tells work, but there are the forums, the discord chat and the skype chat as other media to get in touch with fellow players. If you rather are 100% IC then the forum is best.

- Do not wait with these actions until you have reached the point of frustration. As soon as you are getting a little like 'meh, this is dull.' then I suggest all of the points above.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer