DM Approach - Using Server Music

For discussion, feedback, praises, criticism, concerns or suggestions on topics in Offline RP, Character Backgrounds or general roleplay.
Obsidian Sea

DM Approach - Using Server Music

Postby Obsidian Sea » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:43 am

Hey gang!

I've been bugging some people about this during different DM stints that I've been doing these past few months, when really I ought to have just asked the question here rather than disrupting their immersion. So here goes! Can I get a general idea in replies of who uses the server music when they're playing? It's something that I make an effort to customise in some areas for my DM activities, later to realise it isn't making a difference for people anyway. Just want to get a feel for whether or not its something DMs should want to take into consideration.

Personally, I tune in and out with server music. I have it on as often as I don't, but when I'm DMing and have the time to do prep work I like to use it as a way to inform players of mood or reflect character sentiment in a wider sense than what we can sometimes achieve with text. The server does use custom music here and there, too, and I'm going to make an effort to find out which codes activate the custom music so I can expand my usage to those as well if it's worth my while.

Thanks in advance to those who reply!
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Danuvis

Re: DM Approach - Using Server Music

Postby Danuvis » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 am

I play with sounds and server music on in particular almost always, so something like this would definitely be welcome.

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:43 am

I have it disabled by default. I tend to play my own music or have some sound coming from TV or radio, depending on what is going on on those. However, I'd welcome a heads up for events where custom server music is used like you did last time, OS. It was good stuff.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:43 am

My speakers are always off.

Ostheim

Postby Ostheim » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:28 pm

I usually play without music enabled, and I don't think I even downloaded any of the custom stuff for TER. Didn't know it could be used like this, though, so I might reconsider that. Usually I have other things going in the background.
Wynna Blackwing - Scholar of history, ruin delver, intrigue dabbler
Rannie Marrinson - Knight-Errant, Paladin of Sune
Teobald Grzywacz - Outentown peasant, ranger and adventurer

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:33 pm

About 95% of my playtime is spent using my own music, not the server's. For DM events I occasionally turn it on again, but often find my own music helps me get more into my character and the atmosphere.

Nevertheless, for those that have in-game music on, the soundtracks are an extra, subtler tool for DMs to shape the scene. I appreciate it.

~ Copper
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:38 pm

I always listen to the server's music, not only in TER but throughout my NWN playtime. Sound FXs make the world alive for me, even that dreadful tavern droning. I will always appreciate a DM-directed SFX or change of music as a subtle nudge and atmosphere enhancer. NWN has evolved over the years and we got some good quality SFXs at our disposal.
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Talisman
Builder

Postby Talisman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:30 am

Same as you, OS! I have it on and off at different times. I find it to be more immersive to have it on though.

Khaela Mensha Khaine

Postby Khaela Mensha Khaine » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:13 am

I try to leave my in-game music on as much as possible, though I'd say every now and then I tire of it and throw my own music on and then forget to turn the music back on in-game even when I haven't got my own playing.

Biggest advantage of using in-game music is that it shifts from area to area and during combat, which I appreciate. I'll try to remember to have it on whenever I'm in-game.

One thing I can say is that I had it playing during the event with the Daemon Prince, and the shift in music after the action had died down and your narrative explaining how the day was won, accompanied by the shift in music to something more serene, really made it feel like a triumphant but melancholy moment. Very immersive.

To those who might not know: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... music-pack

CEP uses these files, if you don't download this and have all the bmus included in your music folder, you might not be able to hear half of what TER has to offer.

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Khaela Mensha Khaine wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:13 am
To those who might not know: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... music-pack

CEP uses these files, if you don't download this and have all the bmus included in your music folder, you might not be able to hear half of what TER has to offer.
Wow, I wasn't even aware of that! Thank you for sharing this, I am so eager to test NWN now.
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame