To Skip Ahead

For discussion, feedback, praises, criticism, concerns or suggestions on topics in Offline RP, Character Backgrounds or general roleplay.
Obsidian Sea

Re: To Skip Ahead

Postby Obsidian Sea » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Hey guys!

Going to speak as a DM to offer some transparency, and just to make sure this thread hasn't caused any confusion.

Things are proceeding as normal, for now. If there are any changes made to our place on the timeline, there will be an announcement and a period of transition where we will try to reach as many players as possible to let them know. Nothing has changed.

However, as that already implies, there are changes being considered, of which a time lapse is one of them. Copper Dragon is working with members of the team to field new ideas for how we can change things up and innovate the server, and that will likely result in some server adjustments that will warrant announcements from the team, so keep an eye out for any such announcements in the coming month/s. It is our hope to breathe new life into the server for the sake of old players and new, but to do that there will certainly be a bit of a shake up. And we are optimistic that it will be as exciting for you guys as it already is for us just to be discussing.

Concerning mechanical changes (an entirely separate affair), the E8 system is still in the works and there is still feedback and processing to be done by several of us to help out LW who, despite their genius, needn't be expected to undertake the burden alone. Information will come out about that system independently from any narrative changes that are intended. I'm just putting this down here to let everybody know where we're at.

Keep posting replies and letting us know what you think: I'm not posting this to close down this thread! Any ideas or opinions that people want to share are, as ever, welcomed!

With every best wish,

Obsidian Sea
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Vogelens

Postby Vogelens » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:09 pm

I think a timeskip is a good idea. It brings a fresh perspective to the server, and gives people reason to bring back characters that stagnated. And there would be opportunity for more RP and plotlines. RP between characters would rise up again, as people catch up ICly and talk about stuff that happened in their own personal storylines. Right now, stagnation causes people to not have much reason to talk, the tavern-small talk is kind of dull for many I figure.

It also allows the DMs to bring new plotlines and things. It allows Impiltur to recover, while behind the scenes new big bads are gathering power etc.

I think it is a good innovation and brings a fresh new take on the server, and I know for me it would likely give inspiration to pop back in after a burn out.
Active:
Kara Farrowwood ~ Druidess of Silvanus

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:05 am

I would like to say I am in favor of a timeskip, though my opinion will change depending on the specifics of the proposal. I may have missed it but it seems that I may be the only player here who has actually played through a persistent world time skip, and this experience makes me favor a timeskip even more. I think that they can be very good for servers who have already seen a major plot or two come to completion.

1. It provides an opportunity to adjust characters' stories in a way that is more satisfying and fun to everyone involved.
2. It provides a way to have lots of things happen without it seeming unrealistic that 10 major, earthshattering plots happened in a year.
3. It makes the server more appealing. For example, while I myself might not have enough time to play currently, when I do have time to play I will be more inclined to do so since things have been shaken up.

Suggestions:

* Create a subforum and invite all players to post a thread for their character if they wish. Possibly limit players to only two or three of these threads if there is a concern about workload. Let this be a place for players to discuss, with dms and other players, what has happened to their character during the timeskip. Having players initiate this process reduces workload for DMs, and having it be public ensures transparency. On the other hand, this does provide an issue for evil characters or metagaming. If the DMs can figure out a way to do this that is private but ensures no one is overwhelmed by massive amounts of forum PMs for every character, that would be better.
* Encourage everyone to be involved in this process, even players who aren't planning to ever return or players intending to retire a character. Wrapping up character stories or just giving them some sense of place in the story is much better for the world's sense of history and the server's sense of meaning, than "oh I guess that PC is just around somewhere but we can't really address it because it's an ooc absence".
* On the above note, have a long deadline for 'soft retiring' PCs whose players never speak up and who seem gone for good. Have a generic cover story for these characters so PCs talking about them aren't just talking about a vague ooc abyss. For example, maybe any of these such characters disappeared during the demonic troubles that plagued Sarshel.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

ljuslek

Postby ljuslek » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Vogelens wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:09 pm
I think it is a good innovation and brings a fresh new take on the server, and I know for me it would likely give inspiration to pop back in after a burn out.
Quoting this simply because it sums up my stance on this rather neatly.

If the decision is taken not to time-skip, I'd welcome a chance for characters whose players have been absent to chip in to a post similar to From Spring To Summertide to summarize their goings on or lack thereof since the start of this recent slump.

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:33 pm

ljuslek wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:52 pm

If the decision is taken not to time-skip, I'd welcome a chance for characters whose players have been absent to chip in to a post similar to From Spring To Summertide to summarize their goings on or lack thereof since the start of this recent slump.
I would say it is a given right for any player, actually. Mind you, 1 day in rp sense is equal to, roughly, 1 day real time. Hence, if you did not play for 6 months, lets say, you and others can just as rightly assume that your PC was absent on some personal business for 6 in game months. Whatever that business might be - that is up to you as a player, within some limits.

Ostheim

Postby Ostheim » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Poisonous wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:05 am
Words
Agreed with pretty much all of this.
Wynna Blackwing - Scholar of history, ruin delver, intrigue dabbler
Rannie Marrinson - Knight-Errant, Paladin of Sune
Teobald Grzywacz - Outentown peasant, ranger and adventurer

Toros

Postby Toros » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:44 pm

I will support whatever our staff decides to do, and can definitely see the value of a time skip in shaking things up both in terms of world and story. A number of incredible events occured locally in the last 3 years of the server and making the world less "known" has a number of benefits.

I'll be making time on saturday or afternoons to log in starting next week so whatever is decided I'll be around more.

Also, I play Galondel.

Danuvis

Postby Danuvis » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Any progress on this?

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:33 pm

The idea is currently put on hold. Until further notice, the server will remain in the current date, with no time skip taking place.

That being said, players that have been absent for long periods of time and feel that they have pending plot lines and/or RP that must be wrapped up are invited to contact the DM team via forum PM with a full description of what they would like to be considered. This is also applicable for any other player that feels that they wish to update their PC's goals and aspirations due to previous IC interactions or a shift in how they perceive their PC in the server.
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Given the very high amount of player support and fairly minimal overhead for DMs, what were the primary reasons for not adopting the idea at the moment? It seemed that from this thread the response was predominantly positive, with only one voice in actual dissent.