To Skip Ahead

For discussion, feedback, praises, criticism, concerns or suggestions on topics in Offline RP, Character Backgrounds or general roleplay.
Poisonous

Re: To Skip Ahead

Postby Poisonous » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:40 am

Silver Snow wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:00 pm
Given the very high amount of player support and fairly minimal overhead for DMs, what were the primary reasons for not adopting the idea at the moment? It seemed that from this thread the response was predominantly positive, with only one voice in actual dissent.
Seconded, I'd be interested to know the details. If it's a need for help to do the legwork, the surge of interest might lead to more people being able to offer help.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Danuvis

Postby Danuvis » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:49 am

I, too, would like to know the reasoning behind the decision.

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:42 am

Though changing the date itself is easily done, the passage of time affects areas and NPCs in the module, as well as numerous background aspects. At the moment, we're lacking the manpower to properly implement such an update to everyone's satisfaction, and then to follow up on it.

As you can imagine, there are also a number of different ideas on what the new year would look like, or needs to look like in order to fit the preferences of individual team members. While we have been looking, we haven't found the optimal face of the future yet since we did not reach a common vision. We decided to dedicate our resources instead to finishing the development of the custom E8 system, which in itself requires a lot of work on many levels, such as design, coding and testing. We are talking about a major feat revamp system which includes hundreds of new feats. Loreweaver is the person coordinating it (and implementing the coding aspect of it) and if people are willing to shoulder some tasks, it will definitely make the E8 implementation much faster. I am sure Loreweaver can provide more information to anyone interested.

TL;DR: 1) There are too few staff resources to dedicate at the moment for a change of such magnitude and 2) The Admin/DM/builder team did not settle on the specifics of the proposal's effects. The team decided to give priority instead to the E8 system development which requires in itself a lot of work on many levels (design, coding etc).

Holy_Rage on behalf of the TER Staff and DM Team
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Vogelens

Postby Vogelens » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:20 pm

That is a shame, and unfortunate that the team could not reach a common vision.

A timeskip would have given a fresh breath to the server, and it seemed like this was what gave veteran players who are on hiatus motivation to return. I think moreso than the e8 system, at least that is the case for me.
Active:
Kara Farrowwood ~ Druidess of Silvanus

Kilaana
Administrator, Builder, DM

Postby Kilaana » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:49 pm

It's true that a timeskip seems like a good idea to encourage the return of server activity, and not least a good thing that players are keen on this.

However, one must understand that the timeskip proposal does not merely entail a change of narrative - it includes area, scripting, NPC work & dedicated follow-up on all ends to ensure that the setting reflects this. It is a lot of work - not that we are unwilling to do - but that it would require lots of time to implement and not something that can just be done in a matter of a few weeks.

The proposal is still open for a team discussion if all parties are willing. We have not said that the ideas are completely out the window, merely that the team cannot reach a common vision at this time.

As mentioned though, E8 is something that has seen some development and it is something we can work towards for now as a team.
“Violence is the mark of the amateur.” ― Garrett, Thief: The Dark Project

Kallian | Delorwyn Lle'quellas | Wilhemina Alencar | Zalika Maszim Zartusht
Cedric Lesàre

Vogelens

Postby Vogelens » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:56 pm

It is expected that a timeskip requires work, and that it is not easily done. But to be fair, the e8 system also requires a lot of work, where the possible timeskip seems to inspire and motivate players to return. A timeskip gives a reason to return for many, and make fresh starts or spark life into RP again. There may even be people amongst those returning who are willing to help and lighten the load.

A return in server activity is needed, be it through the proposed timeskip or something else that may hold people's interest, in the IG world and based on RP. Right now, there isn't one that would have people stick around, and an e8 system, a system based on mechanical additions for the sake of it (how it feels like for me) does not give this. It would seem the manpower invested in something players are positive about and arer practically asking for (like the timeskip) would hold a much better return, also for the future of TER.

My two cents on this situation.
Active:
Kara Farrowwood ~ Druidess of Silvanus

Kilaana
Administrator, Builder, DM

Postby Kilaana » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:07 pm

As has been mentioned above, there is a need to have the team be united on the decision for such a big proposal such as a timeskip. I would ask politely that players respect that it is not an easy decision to reach, however much you as a player think it is a good idea. And as I have said above, the timeskip proposal is still open for team discussion, but as we are not able to move forward with it right now, we will work on something meanwhile and that is E8.

I would ask that players try to at least be appreciative of this and not harp on the fact that they do not get their timeskip-right-now-at-this point-immediately. Or that it is useless to work on E8 because a timeskip is more motivating by comparison. We are not idiots and we are simply doing what we can in the face of limitations. We were asked to explain why the proposal has been halted and we have provided our reasons. This is a team matter and it is not up for public debate. If you feel the need to argue my point, please read the above posts again.

This is all I will say on the matter, I believe I have made myself quite clear.
“Violence is the mark of the amateur.” ― Garrett, Thief: The Dark Project

Kallian | Delorwyn Lle'quellas | Wilhemina Alencar | Zalika Maszim Zartusht
Cedric Lesàre

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:28 pm

As Obsidian Sea alluded to in his post, the staff had gathered immediately after my initial outreach to you to deliberate the timeskip.

After a two week, committed discussion, the team could not reach common ground on the timeskip's merits to address the current stagnancy that the server experiences. To make such a project possible, however, the team should all feel convinced - which was not the case as you could see in this thread. The idea had to be rightfully dropped.

Without the full team being on board, there would have been a lack of manpower indeed.

Because the team hasn't found a solid point of agreement in these two weeks, I was no longer sure how I could help drive this concept forward. Therefore I'm no longer in discussions with the team. I am, however, still here to help with E8 where I can!

That you showed so much interest in this idea, and the fact that you eagerly checked the forums for updates, gives me hope that we will have fun here yet.

Have a lovely late summer,

~ Copper
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:01 am

Alright then. I hope the team will send out a mass email or PM or something should they come to a decision, so that people can know when to return.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Talisman
Builder

Postby Talisman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:20 pm

TIME IS RELATIVE!

You ever have minutes that feel like hours? months that feel like a week? Your character can /feel/ as if a great deal of time has past even though it hasn't. I don't see why we NEED a time skip for motivation. Regardless of the timeskip, it has already been several months since the last bout of server activity, so some time HAS passed. If anything, the distance our characters have had over the last several months should be a more intriguing motivation. Maybe these past months alone has changed them?

That said, I don't mind it as an idea. It would be neat to have access to Kelemvor, and I can understand how 2 years gives some types of writers the breathing room they require to start a new chapter for their character. BUT, I'd rather we let such a decision fall into the hands of Kallian and Hagra and all our builders that would have to retouch several areas.