Folklore: Qourkutsiza

Kilaana
Administrator, Builder, DM

Folklore: Qourkutsiza

Postby Kilaana » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:56 pm

An excerpt from the "Treatise Of Impilturian Folk Lore and Tradition As Told By Folk Themselves", Scribe Emphrain Grim of Thun, Sarshel, 1351 DR:
"In the northern parts of our land, and toward Damara, along the mountains, one can often hear locals talking in hushed voices about qourkutsiza. I have heard the tales on numerous occasions while traveling and frequenting the inns that cater to weary merchants, but I could never get the clear answer what such creature is, even if it exists at all.

"In some places it has a form of giant spider, in others a malnourished man dressed in rags, in others, yet, it's a malformed child that seeks through the reeds in marshes and ponds, looking for men to haunt, and so on... Each village has it's own variation of the story.

"For some it is an evil thing, that aims to bring destruction and death upon village and men, for others it's a spirit of form, that can be seen along the roads. Thing to avoid, but that doesn't appear to be maleficent on it's own.

"I have also seen villages where people are willing to attribute any event, no matter how minor, to qourkutsiza - some sound they might hear up in the attic, slamming of the barn door, sheep that wandered away from the herd while the shepherd was sleeping... Today, especially in the lowlands of Sarshel, some people use an expression "What qourkutsiza is that?" to denote that they are amazed at something strange.

"The origin of the word and the creature it pertains to, is a mystery. I would conclude, after years of research, that it has no basis in real life. Not at the present time, at least, since the description differs from one place to another, and even through time, as we can see in written records, like the ones made by Scribe Magna Twim in "Of Impiltur". Rather it's an imaginary creature, maybe based upon such abominations like minor daemons, the memory of which survived in the folk lore until the present day, so long after Fiend Wars."
“Violence is the mark of the amateur.” ― Garrett, Thief: The Dark Project

Kallian | Delorwyn Lle'quellas | Wilhemina Alencar | Zalika Maszim Zartusht
Cedric Lesàre