Nathaniel Askovar - Letters from Another Land

Obsidian Sea

Nathaniel Askovar - Letters from Another Land

Postby Obsidian Sea » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:29 am

As snow begins to thaw over Impiltur, and the rivers run fast and violent with the reinforcement of melting snow, correspondence begins to gain speed along The Royal Road once more. A rider from Dilpur speeds from there to Sarshel in order to deliver two letters, destined for The Crowning Glory and Shield Lane respectively. Their journey has been a long one, coming from the other side of the Earthspur and Earthfast Mountain ranges; the prominent city of Tantras, in The Vast. Breaking the seal, both readers might be struck by the distinct lack of artistry in the writer's calligraphy: their words are entirely legible, but look almost as though they have been cut from a stencil.

These are the letters of Nathaniel Askovar, intended for friends with whom his time in Impiltur once was shared.
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Obsidian Sea

Re: Nathaniel Askovar - Letters from Another Land

Postby Obsidian Sea » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:32 am

Dear Lori,

It is I, Nathaniel, writing to you from the safety of The Green Sirene, a fine inn that sits near the centre of Tantras. What news from Sarshel? The journey that brought me this far was absent of all perils: it was an unlikely ease which bore me hence indeed - nothing that I was at all suspecting, given the nature of the journeys that we shared with one another.

Lyrabar seems like a fine enough place. It would not have done me any ill to spend more time there, but it may be that I am a touch rash when I am wilful, and a ship called 'The Sea Horse' was setting out for Tantras on the first afternoon of my stay within the city. The omen seemed right enough, for if ever the Gods gifted the Shaaran-blooded, it was with the friendship of Faerûn's finest creatures. Demethien fares as well as I, though he is quick to know he is in another land. I am told that he will be well cared for whilst I explore the city without him, and that holds true enough. Each day sees him more contented here. He is of as sojourning a spirit as I, it appears!

Lori, I have kept my word with you, and penned this letter to let you know of my safe arrival in Tantras. If you cannot trust a Bard to keep his word, then who, after all? Now tell me in turn how things have grown in Sarshel in my absence, brief though it has been. How go your studies? What of Perry Quietfoot; is he well? I will write in good time to Artemis, though would feel it foolish to do so too early, for I am still young in Tantras, and no doubt she would have a thing or two to teach me if I spoke too soon of my findings in the city. It is my high expectation that she has had a home before on Ember Lane, where the Morning Halls glide up to touch the sky. Let her know that I am well when next you are together, and I will hope that time comes soon. Return your words to The Green Sirene, wherein I shall stay for some time yet, before I intend to relocate to another inn, and perhaps another city - though I suspect that is plenty for me still to learn in this one.

Anticipating the arrival of your letter,

Nathaniel Askovar

2nd Ches; The Claw of Sunsets
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:49 am

The letter that arrives at The Crowning Glory Inn is signed to reach 'The Harp of Cimbar', in professional etiquette. It is left with the innkeeper, Lentian Klenthur, who deposits it quietly at Marcellus Heldeion's table adjacent to the fireplace, where he plays his harp's finest melodies for the joy of all who have come inside from the Impilturan cold.

My friend, Marcellus,

May it be that this is one of many letters you have been receiving of late, for your benefactors and admirers are many I should hope. Though 'tis not the content of my letter to deliver you funding or praise, still I trust that you will find these words of some value in the midst of all that Sarshel and its occupants bring to your doorstep, for they are to tell you that I am well, and sitting now in a fine established of Tantras called The Green Sirene.

My journeys have brought me safely to the doorstep of The Happy House of Splendour and Song, Milil's greatest temple in all the north (so they tell me). It is a grand place, rich with fine music, and if they knew what was absent by your being absent, it would be wanting only for your presence, friend. Someday I am sure that word shall reach them of your prowess, and then they will be wanting indeed, for words from the tongue of one man to another's ear is the thing that connects people and communities more than anything else. What news from the humble city of Sarshel? Do you anticipate it will outgrow you someday soon? I am not a selfish lad, yet I can think of none who would be finer to walk the world with than yourself, Marcellus. It would be a fine way to spend the hours, would it not?

Nevermind it. I am only growing reminiscent. Many a musician within the city shall challenge me and be challenged in time, and I hope that a great bounty of songs will be exchanged from their hearts to mine and vice versa. In time, it is my intention to play within The Happy House. Now, however, I will take my melodies to the taverns on the docks and in every other part of the city where I can find one. What of you; what songs have you been sharing of late?

Behold the accidental intent of my words: I claimed no room upon the parchment to praise your talents, yet that and your friendship both are the strong content of this letter! In the next, perhaps I will share more with you of what I have discovered in Tantras. It is a place where the business of the Gods is the common conduct; perhaps too pious, truly, for your interest - or for mine. Soon, perhaps I shall have more to tell you of it. Time permitting, pen your letter to The Green Sirene, and I shall acquire it thither.

Yours in friendship,

Nathaniel Askovar

Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:58 pm

Dear Artemis,

What news? With this letter comes my warmest thoughts from Tantras, where the snow continues to fall. I expect that when the Spring Equinox arrives, the snow will depart in due fashion, though I have little affinity to the winter months of our world's north, and pen that declaration with no pretense of authority. Nevertheless, if this letter speeds as I wish it to, the coldest winds will not diminish the content.

You have spent time in Tantras before, have you not? It is a remarkable place, and although I have yet to visit The Morning Halls, even the night does not dim its brilliance from without. I marvel at how long men must have spent in design of buildings such as the myriad temples of this city. Although I have yet to visit The Morning Halls, I have received word that delegates from the temple go towards Impiltur in celebration of the impending Equinox. It is my hope that you shall see them, wherever in Impiltur they intend to go. You are akin to the chieftain of the church in those lands, are you not?

Already I have made friends and warm acquaintances in Tantras. I am enjoying the time I have spent here deeply, and intend to stay for a time longer. There is much to discover. At The Happy House of Splendour and Song you can write to me, if you so wish. The Green Sirene keeps correspondence for me as well, for I spent nights several there upon my arrival. These days, I regularly attend the temple and the drinking dens throughout the city. All cares of business and your impressive office aside (if ever they shall be), maybe whim will bring you back to The Morning Halls? If that time comes, and I am still flourishing in Tantras, let it be that our paths will cross again.

Until that time, go bravely and brightly throughout Impiltur,

Nathaniel Askovar

18th Ches; The Claw of Sunsets
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Pearl-precious Nathaniel,

It is with such relish and relief to hear from you, and so soon by all accounts! It bodes well that you have found the time and opportunity to write; for it fortifies my hope that you arrived with godspeed and in good comfort to the City of the True.

Indeed, if you stay there at length I would love to make recommendations for what you must see in Tantras. That city has always reminded me of white granite; stark, imposing and enduring, and yet cool and rigid; it is not my favourite place, but it is a place of noteworthy culture and important history. The House of Twilight is remarkable for the former, and a delight to visit besides!, as is the street of Mairse Run and of course Ember Lane, where the Morning Halls rise. You will of course still visit there, won't you? The Temple of Torm's Coming, Saprach's Wine Cellar and the great tower on the harbour (its name escapes me) all deserve your attention as well. May you have the time to see them all.

What joy furthermore! To read that word of the delegation passed by you. They were indeed to meet me, and they have. Moments like these I smile all the happier; the world is so small to those who are amicable, isn't it?

The good Dawnbringers you heard mention of were underway to celebrate with me and mine in Impiltur. Now the Vernal Equinox has come and gone: and how beautifully it has! The Impilturan sky is still dominated by grey and snow, I have to inform you with some dislike, but the Song of Dawn was an enchanting experience. I missed your voice and smile to brighten it further; as I missed mister Sagi's and master Marcellus', and yet I am glad to reassure you that we've had a most darling attendance even so. My brothers and sister in faith obliged the summons, and quite many people - Adventurers among them - observed the ceremony. Some joined the chorus, even!

Alas, I'm ill-equipped to inform you of our mutual friends, their whereabouts and goings-on. With my busy city-bound existence of the past tendays I have not had the chance to rap on beloved Lori's door or to sit long enough to enjoy Marcellus' performances; I rarely even speak to dear people whom I consider colleagues, but in all this I make due. I am only troubled that I cannot be there for them rather than lament the other way around. If only we could live one day as many times as we need.

I can only pray your journey is as wonderful as you deserve. Your leave has left a void behind, though our memories and your letter do their utmost to fill that. Do let us know more as you travel; I am excited for what all you might have to share, whom else you might meet that I have spoken to before.

Spring's shining vigour to you, Nathaniel Askovar,

~ Artemis
Signed on the 25th of Ches, 1363 DR.
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)

Tailos

Postby Tailos » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:36 pm

Obsidian Sea wrote:My friend, Marcellus,

May it be that this is one of many letters you have been receiving of late, for your benefactors and admirers are many I should hope. Though 'tis not the content of my letter to deliver you funding or praise, still I trust that you will find these words of some value in the midst of all that Sarshel and its occupants bring to your doorstep, for they are to tell you that I am well, and sitting now in a fine established of Tantras called The Green Sirene.

My journeys have brought me safely to the doorstep of The Happy House of Splendour and Song, Milil's greatest temple in all the north (so they tell me). It is a grand place, rich with fine music, and if they knew what was absent by your being absent, it would be wanting only for your presence, friend. Someday I am sure that word shall reach them of your prowess, and then they will be wanting indeed, for words from the tongue of one man to another's ear is the thing that connects people and communities more than anything else. What news from the humble city of Sarshel? Do you anticipate it will outgrow you someday soon? I am not a selfish lad, yet I can think of none who would be finer to walk the world with than yourself, Marcellus. It would be a fine way to spend the hours, would it not?

Nevermind it. I am only growing reminiscent. Many a musician within the city shall challenge me and be challenged in time, and I hope that a great bounty of songs will be exchanged from their hearts to mine and vice versa. In time, it is my intention to play within The Happy House. Now, however, I will take my melodies to the taverns on the docks and in every other part of the city where I can find one. What of you; what songs have you been sharing of late?

Behold the accidental intent of my words: I claimed no room upon the parchment to praise your talents, yet that and your friendship both are the strong content of this letter! In the next, perhaps I will share more with you of what I have discovered in Tantras. It is a place where the business of the Gods is the common conduct; perhaps too pious, truly, for your interest - or for mine. Soon, perhaps I shall have more to tell you of it. Time permitting, pen your letter to The Green Sirene, and I shall acquire it thither.

Yours in friendship,

Nathaniel Askovar

Dearest friend,

It is of great relief and of happiness that I did receive your letter, and with my utmost apologies that I return such correspondence so late. I hope this might reach you still within your time in the great city - and the Green Sirene - that you appear to be delighting in. Your writing is eloquent in such that I might almost believe myself within the halls of Milil's grand temple if I but close my eyes! I had not known such a penmanship was your talent, o' friend, but you indeed hold many mysteries that I regret we had little time to share. But I pray that Tymora's hand might find, with a flip of her coin perhaps, that we might share a drink in the Happy House before we grow old and our fingers work no longer to stir the hearts of our fellow man.

As you may have heard, the young king has passed on from this world and as such the land is in mourning. While I grieve for the passing of one so young, perhaps I must be judged harshly on how my sorrow for such is so shallow compared to others here. Yet the dirges remain popular and, until such a gloom is lifted from Sarshel, my songs are limited to those only of sadness and loss. Few, it would seem, wish to be merry and enjoy life despite the atmosphere. Other news is limited; I have heard that Greengrass approaches and there are plans afoot, maybe, to celebrate - should the city's gloom lift. I trust such an event will be glorious for the city's spirits (and perhaps a little for one's coin pouch, should the music and drink flow!). A shame that you would not be with us, o' Nathaniel, but perhaps the festival might be better in Tantras.

Tell me truth, friend, have you bested many a bard in the city in these challenges? For few have I heard that might challenge you true. And your works, of the plains of Shaar, yes? And the glories upon those fields you call home? A mighty force indeed to duel against. Have you learned much from your stay in Tantras?

As with your apologies, I too offer my own. Perhaps we both speak too grandly of each others' talents that we forget we are talking as friends and equals than fans of the other! Yet the parchment is cheap enough, spending more than the necessary words on pleasantries is hardly a task worth cutting greatly when it remains so true.

Yours in friendship,
Marcellus, of Cimbar.

*The letter is adorned with an imprint of a Chessentan noble's seal, embossed with a dragon image.*