Wynna's Correspondences

Ostheim

Wynna's Correspondences

Postby Ostheim » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:00 am

The following letter is delivered to Rensar Rulovic. Within it is a private, wax-sealed letter intended for Samere Anakar in Lyrabar, as well as a copy of the following, extensive review of a certain ruin. Another copy of this is handed without wax-sealing to Rulovic.
Dear Samere,

Allow me to begin this letter by expressing my distinct relief at the news that you are present in Lyrabar. When I happened across the sight of the Quill being relieved of its furnishings and your collection, I feared the worst for you; no one seemed to know where you had gone, and those who did must have not entrusted me with the knowledge until very recently when I received your letter. To know that you’re safe elsewhere is a weight off my shoulders.

Your friend Rulovic has told me that you referred me to him. Whether or not he has actual interest in the ruin I was sent to does not matter to me anymore; he has already promised that he will send this to you, and so I write this preface for your benefit. The second document is a comprehensive report and my theories regarding the ruin by the Serpent River. What ever your desire for knowing such a thing, I apologize that the information within is as dark and foreboding as it is.

I confess I was angry following your dismissal of me. I was very bitter and confused, not simply for the perceived betrayal, but for the insinuation that my mental fortitude had somehow been compromised. I am, and will always be until my health precludes it, someone who will seldom shirk at the chance at investigating and revealing that which darker powers might prefer hidden. I have since let that anger ebb away, though I confess I found the prospect of visiting you at the Quill too painful to chance.

I wish I had, now. To have someone in this city who does not spurn me as a foreigner or as a woman, but accepts and relishes my enthusiasm for knowledge. Rulovic’s estimation of my capability was blunt and terribly painful to bear; I had thought I had finally found someone willing to assist me in my work, only to have that hope cruelly dashed by his words. Though I understand he is your friend, perhaps, I doubt I will have any further interaction with him if I can help it. Perhaps he will be satisfied by the report, perhaps not. I only care that you receive the same, now.

Passing the Quill each and every day, destitute and uninhabited, fills me with a great sorrow. I know not what you have had done with your collection, but I can only pray it is in proper hands that will not simply file it away in some great pile or bookshelf, to be forgotten until students stumble across it. To properly honor your contribution to my start here, however rocky, I intend to explore the possibility of purchasing the former Quill and carrying on your work in some capacity.

I only hope I can build up a library and collection to be as proud of as you were with yours.

If circumstance allows it, please send additional correspondence if it would please you to do so, or at least please inform me of those who intend to carry on looking after your affairs so I may make arrangements with them if need be to visit you in person.

Regardless of what ever happens in the future, I valued the short time I spent under the Quill’s roof, and I wish you happiness and fulfillment in the company of your loved ones.

- Wynna Blackwing

P.S. Thank you for the recipe.
Last edited by Ostheim on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wynna Blackwing - Scholar of history, ruin delver, intrigue dabbler
Rannie Marrinson - Knight-Errant, Paladin of Sune
Teobald Grzywacz - Outentown peasant, ranger and adventurer

Ostheim

Re: Wynna's Correspondences

Postby Ostheim » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:02 am

The document follows.

OOC Warning: The following IC document details Wynna's exploration of a certain dungeon on the server, as well as her findings on its potential plot significance. Please do not read if you have not had the pleasure of visiting this place on a character yet, but feel free to read it after!
Description and Layout

The Ruin along the Serpent River, hereby referred to as the Sunken Ruin, is a small-sized ruin likely dating back to the Fiend Wars. The exterior of the ruin is a withered, skeletal remnant of what I suspect to have once been an entry hall judging by the curvature of the stonework and the solitary pillar still standing. It may have even been a guard house or domicile for those who dwelt there. Situated in the center of the small ruin, however, is a yawning pit through which we affected our entry into the sunken ruin below.

Descent through the pit leads to a cavernous hall that was covered in a variety of hostile, wintery flora and fauna that were infesting the area. Said cavern was flooded up to the ankles, which would persist throughout the majority of the site. The cavern seemed to have bits and pieces of stonework scattered about, and a passageway deeper within to the ruins proper that was a man-made hall of chiseled stone. I would speculate that this initial cavern was originally far more covered in stonework during its heyday.

The primary point of interest within this area is a circle of statues just near the pit entrance. The statues depict a woman clad in voluminous robes. Though extremely weathered by the elements, precise details remain in the form of expressive characteristics evident upon their faces, that of sorrow or extreme thoughtfulness. According to Miss Maera Thlantyr, Selûnite priestess, these statues reputably date back to the Fiend Wars in terms of their structure and make. One of the statues has crumbled completely, lending one to assume that there are simply four that form a semi-circle.

Curiously, the statues seem to be carved from pillars rather than being connected to the plinths that they stand upon; one would assume that said plinths are superfluous, then, until one notices that they have indentations upon them in the form of a square within a square. In the center is an egg-shaped aperture whose purpose is unknown to me, but I assume to be significant.

Moving on, the aforementioned stone hallway leads a winding path through ruined debris and crumbling stone refuse, all flooded. This path eventually leads to what I have deemed the lunar puzzle chamber, but an offshoot door leads to a small room where I found a heavily tattered, ancient banner of sorts. Sadly there is little to be made of this, other than the presence of a silver-silken border, where eight-pointed stars line the edge.

The puzzle chamber is where the first evidence of lunar reverence becomes extremely apparent; in order to proceed deeper into the ruin, my group was forced to solve a conundrum of sorts involving a variety of panels corresponding to the phases of the lunar cycle. A crystal ball of sorts sat within the middle of this chamber, which would, by magic seemingly, alter itself as the panels were manipulated. A plaque at the top of the chamber, above where the door ended up being, displayed the eight phases of the moon.

Solving this, we proceeded further within, finding ourselves in a monastic living quarters of sorts. This area in particular displayed signs of having once been further above ground, though the presence of the lunar puzzle room beforehand perhaps throws this into doubt. Regardless, the quarters we found were constructed of stone and seemed to have once possessed ceilings that were no longer present. This was the last major area of the actual ruin, though passages further beyond suggested that sunken pieces of stonework may very well litter the underground of the Serpent River in that vicinity, suggesting more extensive ruins hidden under the soil.

Findings

First, I will relate what we saw during my outing. Following this, I will supplement my theory with the account given to me by Maera Thlantyr, who had visited the site a time before I had. Her contribution to this investigation cannot be overstated.

The presence of the wintery flora and fauna, all of which was hostile in some manner to our intrusion, was a troubling find. More troubling still was the discovery of undead deeper within, mostly in the form of shambling corpses. The presence of undead, in absence of a necromantic origin by a practitioner of those dark magics, would suggest some sort of divine influence from darker powers. This has been a trend I have documented in several sites.

I was immediately struck by the poignancy of the statues, given great pause as I committed them to paper. There seemed to be an ineffable aura of sadness and sorrow surrounding them, one I have noticed, in fact, in other ruined places around the Impilturan wilderness. Though the statues themselves tend to be different in structure, the presence of a woman in voluminous robes is an uncannily persistent commonality.

Moving further in, the presence of lunar insignia and reverence in the puzzle room immediately turned my thoughts to the Moon Maiden Selûne. However, a distinct lack of modern holy symbology that would suggest a correlation with the modern-day church was conspicuously absent throughout the ruin. Most frustrating, but the reverence to the moon cannot be denied, as well as the monastic quality to the living quarters we found. Holy men or women doubtlessly once inhabited this site.

In that monastic living space, I discovered two important things, both connected to one another. First, after discovering a locked chest, I opened it to find a heavily weathered scroll that had had the top half-rendered illegible by the elements. The bottom half, barely legible, is a curious script that has so-far defied easy translation. I plan to have the scroll looked at by Miss Thlantyr if such interests her, as it may very well be some sort of religious cypher.

The second, far more troubling thing is that, after opening said chest, the shadows within it promptly came alive, formed assailants, and attacked me. Escaping to my companions, we slew the shades in short order.

This is not the first time I have been attacked by living shadows. The first was, in Sarshel, when I and some others investigated an abandoned building and stumbled across a group of cultists who were performing some sort of ritual upon a deranged man, who had had the mark of the Lady of Loss painfully carved into his chest. Following the slaying of these madmen, a living shadow attacked us, gibbering incoherently.

Even prior to Miss Thlantyr’s far more conclusive tale, I had already come to the theory that this was the site of another battle between the faithful of the Moon Maiden and her evil twin. Her story, however, all but confirms this; while investigating the site, she and a friend apparently stumbled across a group of live cultists who had taken hostage a trio of members of the Moon Maiden’s clergy within the site. Perhaps these Sisters of Selûne were on their way to investigate the site on behalf of their church; I know not the specifics, and Maera did not seem to have gotten much from them following their traumatic rescue.

According to Thlantyr, the cultists made specific mention of their dark patron, assaulting them and slaying one of the hostages. They employed the service of living shades, and by her account, a lycanthrope. Following their rescue, the hostages were conveyed to the Temple of the Triad in Sarshel, and then departed several days later to no future correspondence.

With our two experiences, it is no leap of logic to assume that this sunken ruin has attracted considerable attention from both those faithful to Selûne, those who possibly worshipped her in older times in different ways, and those whose opposition to all things Selûne now stands for need not be stated. I believe there are yet more discoveries to be made in this place, particularly in relation to the circle of statues, as well as what might be compelling the cultists of the Lady of Loss to be so invested long after the departure of persistent dwelling in this site.

This is but one of many instances I have noticed in Impiltur of the cult in question operating from within the shadows. Maiden’s Leap, scattered sites throughout the countryside, and even in Sarshel itself have all felt the mark of these evil men and women. Take from this what you will, and I will add further findings as I find them.

Kilaana
Administrator, Builder, DM

Postby Kilaana » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:23 pm

A twentyday passes and then another. A courier on horseback is glimpsed along the southerly roads connecting Sarshel to the rest of the major cities along the Easting Coast, but he is one of many messengers bearing news from those whose coin can procure such services of necessity. It is a dusky evening under Tarsakh's frozen skies that packages are passed from one hand to another; one of these; a simple but travel-worn envelope stamped with a monogrammed wax seal, is delivered to Blackwing.

The following is written by a cursive hand with dark ink on a fine vellum. The writing appears even and its measured prose tell of careful deliberation by its author.

Dear Miss Blackwing,

I hope this letter arrives to you in good health.

We are hardly acquainted, but allow me to introduce myself. I am Amelie Sofilia Coptchyk, and it is my uncle Samere with whom we share a common understanding in. Uncle, I fear, in recent days has grown weaker and is unable to sit for as long as he used to, but rest assured that he smiled when your message was read to him. He is not one who cares to engage in lengthy conversation even around family, but during the few occasions he felt well enough, he mentioned your name and of how you helped revive a small interest in his shop again for a short time. Uncle's work is very much a specialized field, Miss Blackwing; it does not bring him much profit as other businesses do, but the work of antiquity, I fear, seems to be losing its true value in these modern times where coin talks most.

Uncle spoke highly of your interests, so forgive me if I am skeptical for someone I have never met before - we are, after all, Impiltur: What else have we if we do not protect the very soil we stand upon?

For you, as I understand, you have made this city your home. It is not my place to ask too many questions of your past - perhaps someday I will have that privilege of knowing, but until then, I have only the words of my Uncle to depend upon. Between my family and I, we believe that Uncle saw in you, as he would see me - a relative he could rely on. As much as we love our Uncle, continuing the work of several decades of research is not a small or easy one. He is stubborn in this regard, and I am afraid I can only tell you that what you know of his collection will be safe in the House of Many Tomes. After all, while it is true that knowledge is often freely offered to those who seek Songhall, great care must be taken to whom we reveal this especially in these troubled days.

It is with some dismay that I receive your news about your dismissal from the Golden Quill. Uncle never spoke of it to anyone nor his reasons for dismissing you, but neither did he speak much of anything to us. Of course, a man's privacy must be respected and it is only know that I learn how this matter must have caused a great deal of heartache to both of you. To call it a betrayal would do an injustice to Uncle - I feel you must temper such thoughts that a man like him would ever wish you harm. For this reason alone, I decided not to read to him this portion of your letter: I feel it is best saved for when he is in more robust health. I wish I could give you the reassurances you so obviously need, but even I as his closest family, are not privy to a man's thoughts if he wished not to let them be known.

I am reluctant to tell you of what I know of those who handle his matters in the city; truth be, it is not much but I fear to do so without Uncle's knowledge would be a regrettable thing. However, I know what it is to be left in the dark and so I shall tell you what little I know. They are men of wealth and influence, the latter more so, and if my estimations are correct then their loyalties are aligned with my Uncle's, and he is a Royalist through and through. It may well be that there are a few in that group who hold the names of some of the oldest families here, and names can get one far sometimes. Further than coin can do. I suppose I do not need to tell you this, Miss Blackwing, do I? I am of the impression yours is one of great intelligence, insofar as my Uncle has trust in you. I do not know of all the names, but Master Rulovic is one and he is an old friend - a dear friend - of Uncle's. This sickness has affected Rulovic no less than it has here with our family; I ask that if you seek the man himself you will remember that friendships stretch long and far in Impiltur even if it is less often spoken. This is our way.

My message to you shall end here, for Uncle's affairs are not for me to speak of, much less manage. The physicians have advised us to limit visitors until Uncle's condition has improved. I can promise to write again to you and tell you of how he is faring. I am certain he will be delighted to hear from your goodself again.

Three's Blessings,
A.S. Coptchyk
“Violence is the mark of the amateur.” ― Garrett, Thief: The Dark Project

Kallian | Delorwyn Lle'quellas | Wilhemina Alencar | Zalika Maszim Zartusht
Cedric Lesàre

Kilaana

Postby Kilaana » Fri May 13, 2016 2:10 am

The following message is slipped under the door to 2 Magpie's Row, in a wax-sealed envelope. Scribed in Easting, the message appears to have been scrawled hastily and cuts no corners in the tone it is written.
Miss Blackwing,

I trust my associate has contacted you and all was well. Forgive the belated arrival of this message but I am of the belief our mutual acquaintance saw enough in you to convince me that you are capable of taking care of yourself when the walls of fair Sarshel came crashing down around us. I write to inform you that I am evacuating my family and those who are in need of my help to safer shores for the time being, and will contact you again when my situation is more favourable. Yes, Miss Blackwing, even those who you may assume to feed from a silver spoon feel the sorrows of the world - some shoulder heavier burdens because of it.

Should you decide once again to forfeit this task, let it be known that no contract binds you. As I have stated more than once, this research carries a risk, a thing you should have been aware of as scholar and explorer of the unknown. More than once I have doubted our friend's assurances on the matter of your capabilities but there are so many who deem themselves capable in their field, yet fall short when the need for action guided by the fine hand of wisdom arises.

A last word if I may: I am aware there is no love lost between us, nor do I expect it. But if you are willing to work for this country, then perhaps we can at least see eye to eye, some day.

Godspeed,
R.R.

Cedric Lesàre

Ostheim

To Teresa the Adorned

Postby Ostheim » Sat May 14, 2016 10:21 pm

[A small letter is presented to the Triadic priestess, Teresa the Adorned, as Wynna passes by the ruins of the temple.]
Dear Teresa,

I hope your good works for the city have gone as smoothly as they can, considering the dire circumstances. It heartens me greatly each time I pass you and your fellows, knowing that you all do your utmost to tend to a community stricken by the most vile of sicknesses, that of fear and trauma from an attack most despicable. It pains me, then, however mildly, to distract you from your work for but a moment so you might confirm something for me.

I understand you had in your care in the infirmary, for a time, one Noal Dagar, a self-styled illusionist. I would like to know if you recall whether or not Noal was still in your care at the time of the attack; the man has been sighted in Outentown and beyond, according to my friend, but I would like for you to confirm whether or not he was still in your care on the night of the demonic incursion. That, or if he was discharged from your care beforehand.

You may leave word at my abode at Two Magpie's Row, in Old Quarter.

Thank you, and may the Three continue to Bless your endeavors. I remain,

Wynna Blackwing

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Sat May 14, 2016 11:02 pm

Dearest Ms Blackwing,

Bless your moment of kindness, considering us. We do only our duty, and though we ask for no gratitude, to hear kind words of support and endorsement is balming for my soul in the midst of more hurtful words that are lodged at Ilmater in this hour of mutual desperation. A city grieves, and it is said that there is no wrong way to grieve. Remembering this, I know that Ilmater would turn the other cheek to words of accusation, and so shall I, although for the cheek that I present, a tear passes down the other. Aland of Torm, and the kind spirits of the city that put themselves to work in aid of the people lift my own spirit as they go.

To hear that Noal Dagar has been in Outentown is a reassuring sign of his recovery. I had not realised that you and he were acquainted, and though he held my shoulder and offered words of assurance to me in an altogether strange way which left me uncertain, I believe he is healthy again. I know not how his state marred his mind, though I prayed for him then, and still do now. I am glad to tell you, however, that he departed the infirmary the morning of the day before the evening of 7th Mirtul, not made to witness or be victim to the events of that terrible evening. The morning of 8th Mirtul, following the destruction, I saw him once again. The sight of his cot now so stained with blood where a successor had taken up the bed and been slain alienated him greatly, for when I urged him away from the Temple he only offered me a slight smile, patted my shoulder once more, and departed. I fear he knew not what to think, and that his mind is altogether in denial of the disaster.

As a friend, perhaps you might speak with him and ascertain his well-being? I have done for him all that I can, and my attention is elsewhere by necessity and the direction of Sister Kelda.

Endure as Ilmater does,

Teresa Derlev, Adorned of Ilmater

13th Mirtul; The Melting
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Ostheim

Postby Ostheim » Thu May 26, 2016 7:15 pm

[A small letter is hand-delivered to Eight Monument Court.]
Dear friends, Jerek and Kelda,

I hope the day finds you well, considering the dire circumstances we yet still find ourselves in. I pray the tasks of tending to a city stricken by tragedy and hardship have not unduly weathered you both, and I remain at the disposal of you both should you require me for aught of importance.

I write to you currently to ask for information regarding the barghest creature that you both helped to slay near Vlasta - I intend to write about the wider incident in my upcoming addition to my book, and would appreciate the first-hand account for posterity, with as much detail as you would fancy to give.

No new revelations have come to me regarding the matter you wrote to me of, Kelda, beyond the account in the tome I have given you, whose accuracy remains dubious. Despite the blatant misdirection within, I suggest further research into verifying whether any of the information concerning the Bloodblade is accurate, as well as the demonic entity we faced on the Seventh. There is also the matter of the entities we faced on the road to Vlasta and in the sinister crypt - Jerek has been briefed somewhat while you slept, but I expect further explanation from myself will be necessary for a full accounting of the stakes here.

I loathe to involve you both in further hardships, and I leave it fully in your hands as to whether or not you can spare the time from your other pressing duties. The importance of this matter, however, I believe should not be understated, for it may well constitute a threat as dire as the one the demonic entity poses. Know, however, that I have already involved a manner of good and kind souls who are striving to help me.

The Broken keep you both,
Wynna Blackwing

Ostheim

Postby Ostheim » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:44 pm

[A missive is delivered by courier to Filur.]
To the industrious Inrek Copperaine,

It is my pleasure to again make your acquaintance, good fellow! I hope your affairs and business have been most prosperous in these troubled times. You may remember me as the scholar you met outside of the esteemed Lord Relindar's home at Drumaire Manor, and I write to you now to make good on my promise to pen you a missive to inquire about business.

As you said that you were keen to do business in Sarshel, I would like to extend to you an offer, as I implied during our short meeting, to tend to my windows at my home in Old Quarter, apartment two at Magpie's Row. Though Old Quarter is a beautiful place, it's somewhat further from the city center - and guard patrols - than I would like; to that end, I would see my windows reinforced and perhaps spruced up so as to let the light shine through in a way most pleasing to myself and my guests. We can discuss specifics upon your arrival.

Naturally, I was impressed with the fact that you had been chosen by Lord Relindar to tend to the matters of his private home; to personally be invited to repair the windows of his bedroom or study (the draft must be terrible!) must indeed be a prestigious task, and I am nothing if not a woman with an eye for quality. It would please me greatly if you were to accept this invitation to mutually beneficial business.

Wishing you the Wonderbringer's blessings,
Wynna Blackwing

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:32 pm

Dear and esteemed Ms Blackwing,

I mean to be in Sarshel before the end of the tenday, attending one of the High Dawnlord's soirees, of which I see too few these days. I shall be thrilled to put time aside to speak to you in The Kingfisher upon the very same evening, if that at all suits your wishes. What more I might say, I shall not commit to a letter, for I am taught not to trust information to the road from treacherous example in earlier tendays! What is this weather?!

Wonderbringer's boon to you,

Inrek Copperaine

14th Elient; The Fading
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Kilaana

Dearest Miss Blackwing...

Postby Kilaana » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:20 pm

On the way to the city square in Sarshel, Wynna nearly collides with a woman swathed in a shawl to shield herself and the infant she is carrying. The peasant apologizes profusely and hurries away, not wanting to create a scene. ( A Perception check surpassing 15 means that Wynna detects the envelope that is slipped into her belt. A result below that means that Wynna will only discover the items when she is changing out of her clothes. The envelope contains a letter and an official-looking document that seems quite authentic, stamped with a wax seal of the Census Office of Sarshel.)
Dear Miss Blackwing,

You probably don't know me, but I know you. I mean, who could forget such a dear sweet little face? Anyway, let me get to the point. I am sure you'd want me to. You and I are cut from the same cloth, sadly, but that's really rather irrelevant. Rub a cracked mirror enough and it can still cast a decent reflection, right? Besides, history is boring. It is the future that is far more exciting!

So how are you getting on with that research of yours? Slow and steady always wins the race, I suppose. The sky's already fallen, hasn't it? So what's the hurry? I suppose there isn't a reason to, but this tiresome snow isn't going away. I adore the cold, mind you! All the better to curl up under the covers, with a fine glass of whisky, and to while the night away telling stories before the candle goes out. I bet you've been doing that, haven't you? Come on, darling. Everyone knows who you're seeing! I mean... it's grand! Not my first choice, to be honest, but lucky for you our tastes differ.

You've probably seen the other thing in here before you've even read this letter. I would have, if I were you! That's right, you're not dreaming - it's a housing deed for a certain little place in a certain little shophouse. You aren't the first person who's met our dear old friend, you know. Apologies if I've misspelled the name, by the way, but the people who want things in order? They like them to be in very good order. Which means it can't be changed until you delivered what you promised. Also, in case you didn't notice, there's no key. I'm sure you are a woman of fine resources and making the place your own is a mere snap of the fingers (or should I say, the lock?) but a reputation like yours isn't worth losing, is it? After all you've been through! My heart pounds so fast just thinking about it!

Anyway, do me a little favor. Hurry up. The clock's ticking.

Yours Sincerely,
Bunny

P.S. By the way, have you contacted a sculptor for that broken statue? No? Tsk. I know...you're just -so- busy these days!

Cedric Lesàre