Artemis' Correspondences

Copper Dragon

Artemis' Correspondences

Postby Copper Dragon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:22 pm

The following letter is sent by churchly couriers. The letter is sealed, the text within written in a feminine bold script - flowing and practiced. The language is Chondathan with the Amnian fall of the tongue. It may indeed take a while to reach its destination; far-off Athkatla.
To My Lady Olorea Magdalaida,

With the most heartfelt sincerity, I hope this letter finds you well.

I have not written to you since the end of Mirtul, 1363 Dale Reckoning, and I would like to resurrect my intentions from that time; my intentions to reassure you of my well~being. You will be relieved to read that my residence in the city of Sarshel remains as of yet untouched, and serves as an island of Amnian hospitality, exemplary tastes and soirées of culture: a small island of warmth and life in face of the snow and misery hanging over Impiltur. I am hopeful it is worthy of your appreciation and of the D'Assanthe name.

I would wish to tell you of my successes within the Church of Lathander during Impiltur's trying times; that the goodly influence of the Morninglord grows in my established region; that I continue to build steadfast bonds with other faiths; but I understand this has never been what concerned you most.

Instead, it may bring pleasure to you to know that I have expanded my resources enough to organise public events such as the Songs of Dawn, a dance night at my apartment or, indeed, even a Midsummer festivity. This country clearly favours solemn prudence and stoicism over open revelries, but I find continued contentment in challenging that. You will remember how I enjoyed to bring people together in my budding years as well. Something that ~ I muse ~ I may have inherited from you, bloodties lacking or not.

However.

There is more news which I believe may interest you.

A man has expressed his desire to court me. He is of a noble bloodline, though not Impilturan. His lineage carries next to null influence in this country; thus, should any mutual interest blossom he will not lift me into the local ranks of nobility, which you know is something I would have never wished. If I am to earn titles, it is to be by my accomplishment; it ~has~ been by my accomplishment. It is the traditional Amnian way. It is how you have done it.

He is a soldier. I imagine your frown and must smile. You have always warned me for swordsmen, even for Don Cavor. Theirs is a too visceral profession, and they are the embodiment of an uncouth barbarism that we should have long left behind in history. I agree, we should have, but have not been able to despite or because of men's best efforts, and gods'.

This man... I know what I expect of him, or of any suitor, but not what I hope to expect of myself. I have had lovers, Lady Olorea, for short times and longer; artistic or eloquent, handsome or adventurous; but I have never exercised my thoughts on proper commitment. How could I? You have been such an independent force, my great example ~ and Mother has been so fickle. My priestly station, too, demands much, which I willingly give. Nevertheless, should there be more news to come of this courtship, I will send the swiftest word to you. I suspect, however, by the time this letter reaches you my mind will have indeed been made up.

Enclosed, I also send you a copy of a friend's popular publishings dubbed
The Dark Corners of Impiltur. May it be insightful reading, and one particular article hopefully to your liking. With this, please extend my loving greetings to Sergio and Leodan. I think of them daily... and you.

With all my love, and the Morninglord's radiance upon you,

Artemis,
Humble daughter and High Dawnlord of Lathander.
3rd Uktar, 1363DR.
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)

Copper Dragon

Re: Artemis' Correspondences

Postby Copper Dragon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Merney,

Do you remember us dancing in the inn, you ~ drunk, and I half-delighted half-afraid you would scorch me over the firepit?

Do you remember how I told you I would never let you give up, that I'd never let you forget the good that has come to you?

Do you remember the first kiss?

The last?

You told me the many grave things your own hands have done. I declared that you had been weak and wrought by circumstance. And I told you what you once already knew: that you were so much more than the wreckage the years tried to make of you, the pain that life has laid on you, the cold fort that sieges left behind in you. You let me see that so many times in great things and small.

Then you killed.

You killed a boy.

You had been improving. You were getting better, finding peace, purpose. The Flaming Prince had finally been banished, and though we were tired and quiet, everything you wanted was within reach. There was nothing to be afraid of, only plans to forge, a life to build, bonds to make strong and stronger. You still had nightmares and were still exhausted, but we would have solved it all together step by step, day by day.

You asked me if I was afraid to outlive you, the blood of my father commanding my heart to beat much longer than yours or most of my friends'. I proclaimed I would rather live today: that one day we all die and until then we had all those other days to live.

But I can't bear the image of you today, the bars they've put you behind, the rags they've donned on you, the self-loathing in your eyes.

And I hate what life has done to you, what it has made you do.
I hate that I have not the power to take it back, to keep the young man's life and restore yours.
I hate that I want to hate you and I hate that I can't.

You're too much. You're never...
The parchment's edge catches fire. The corner starts to curl up, then grows black and feeds the flame until nothing but ash remains of the page.
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)