Hróin - Clan Silversteel

Obsidian Sea

Hróin - Clan Silversteel

Postby Obsidian Sea » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Some days after it has been penned, a letter in the Dethek language of the Dwarves arrives in Sarshel addressed to Hróin. It marks the first correspondence between he and Clan Silversteel since their departures out of Relgar, and although it has been shy of a tenday since then, the change can indeed be felt in the Uktar weather, which runs low along the land and turns each blade of grass cold like the blue-gray hue of the recent afternoon skies.

Hail Hróin, son of Bróin,

We remaining few warriors of the clan took refuge in the small locale of Godstone Mill, short by a day's travel from Dilpur. There is lodging for us here, and the prospect of employment that will earn us the coin needed to send Thrundun back to the clanhold bearing news. The people here speak of a pocketful of Goblins skirting their borders; others of great big Beetles that cohabit the dry caves on the rocks overlooking the copse west of here. I am eager to put this axe to use on the deserving Goblin scum, though in other things we have few resources, and Thrundun believes the Beetles are the threat more easily dealt with, being that the caves are the easiest place for Dwarven warfare.

Soon enough we will be stable to search the land better, but for now jobs in battle or building will earn us what we need to get on with the task aright. Thrundun brews yet on the responsibilities that might be, should he be considered for the position of Thane. I always trusted him well enough.

With an axe held high,

Odren, son of Odyn

8 Uktar; The Rotting

A return missive can be sent and will reach Godstone Mill within two days. The content of the letter suggests that Odren and the other members of the clan have no intention of relocating within such a space of time, should Hróin wish to provide a response.
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Holy_Rage

Re: Hróin - Clan Silversteel

Postby Holy_Rage » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:04 pm

:: A young messenger, fleet of foot and wearing the traditional scarf of the Sarshel Messengers' Guild arrives at Godstone Mill only a few days after the Dwarves of Clan Silversteel have settled in. Stopping ever so briefly to deliver his missive at their recipients, the stoic youth spares himself little time for rest and swiftly rides out of the rustic locale, the lands of Godstone Mill and the doings of its inhabitants already out of his mind. ::
Greetings of Stone, Odren, son of Odyn this very Uktar, 12.

I confirm and acknowledge reception of your missive and extend my solemn greeting to Thrundun, son of Thrurson and Bradwyrr, son of The One That Shall Not Be Named. News as such brought to me by it are cause for joy; for in days such as those we currently live in, tidings regarding the safe passage of our allies are to be clerished. May your stay in Godstone Mill be a fair fallhammer and allow you to gather both forces and wit, in anticipation of the toil that lies beyond. For such is the doom of the Stout Folk and only the unbearded would dare even think otherwise. With such counsel in mind, let the following be judged by yourself and your peers:

- The local Human Laird goes by the name of Envir Ashraum; his ways are those of caution and planning ahead, or so many of the commonfolk of Sarshel would think. A well-ordered fief is bound to be safer than the usual chaotic ogurkh to be usually encountered outside our lands. Any building proposal or similar offering in stonework or masonry from your side to fortify or secure the lands of the Human laird in places where the most of trouble could be expected should go well down with him and earn you resources that will not risk to be paid with blood or death.

- Thrundun is wise in desiring to meet any kind of opposition on our own best terms. The ferocity and ways of beasts are also much preferable to the malice and cruelty of Goblins; bide your time until fully prepared, regardless of choice, I trust you shall. There shall be Goblyns aplenty to fell our wrath upon in the near future.

- Above all, keep your counsel hidden; your eyes watchful; your ears alert; in the comfort of our Halls we may do as we see fit and please. But such luxury is not currently available, to neither of us. As far as our common search goes, rumours have reached me concerning a certain locale high in the mountains of the Human Kingdom, near the land they would call Vlasta. I intend to investigate such, especially since the source of such information has a fair reputation and has shown good faith in our dealings so far. I shall keep you informed of such a course of action, should it be deemed necessary.

- Betwixt allies, it is only fair that silence be respectfully kept in matters proper to each Clan, unless bidden directly to participate. Being Thane is much more than a title; it is the living embodiment of a Clan's ideals and history. The son of Thrurson (and any other aspirant in their own mind) is right in considering the implications of such a choice at length and gravely. Speaking from my own experience in our Clan, our highest-ranking Barakor would be consulted immediately about the matter-at-hand.

May the Lord of the Bronze Mask bring your vigil and search to a safe end.

Axes High,

Hróin, son of Bróin.-
:: The letter ends with an intricate drawing of an enormous, bare Mountain with a sturdy steel shield depicted as a gate to the sole entrance to its depths. The Mountain’s background is filled with angry roaring fires, a true blazing inferno. ::

-----------------------------------------
Small dictionary
Spoiler:
(1) A fair fallhammer! -- something satisfyingly good, such as a meal, a brawl, a decision, or victorious confrontation.
(2) unbearded - a dwarven word for foolish talk or deeds; dwarves never apply this word to non-dwarves (because, as the old dwarf joke goes, all non-dwarves can safely be assumed to be fools until proven otherwise, and such proof appears for only a handful of individuals once or twice a century).
(3) ogurkh - a dwarven word referring to something unbelievable, insane, monumentally stupid, or the result of crazed, dunderheaded, or scarcely-to-be-believed actions.

Source: Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common by Ed Greenwood - Link
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:19 pm

Greetings of Stone to you, Hróin, son of Bróin,

My thanks for the counsel you showed to Odren. No sooner than your missive arrived did we take to the tunnels and end the infestation there: we did not sustain any wounds but the burns of Fire Beetles. A common nuisance, they are, in the tunnels reaching from where we call home. Hammers break what axes won't, and strong-armed with both, Clan Silversteel's last warriors proved their grit.

We have earned coin from that venture and from the tasks of Godstone Mill to secure retirements each night at the village's inn. A few days more and I will return to Clan Silversteel, where everyday I brood the clanswomen grow anxious or angry for lack of hearing our news.

I will make an effort to have speech with the lord that you speak of, Envir Ashraum, before I depart towards the west again. Odren is a fine warrior, and will do great deeds with the axe we now walk with, but being short-bearded with youth, he is unfit to parley on behalf of the clan, and does not want such a responsibility anymore than I would thrust it on him. Bradwyrr could be wiser, if he let himself want for wisdom, but as it is he seems unfit - nay, unwilling - to parley on behalf of the clan. In my absence I will encourage Odren to make allies of adventurers, and those that would travel with them: the humans of this land regard our group as a strange one, and we know little of them, but if they know this land better than we, could it be that they will aid us in our quest directly or otherwise?

Mountain's Shadow,

Thrundun, son of Thrurson

15th Uktar; The Rotting
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Greetings of Stone, Thrundun, son of Thrurson this very Uktar, 22.

I confirm and acknowledge reception of your second missive and extend my solemn greeting to Odren, son of Odyn and Bradwyrr, son of The One That Shall Not Be Named. News as such brought to me by it are cause for joy; for in days such as those we currently live in, tidings that testify of our allies' safety and well being are to be clerished.

With such counsel in mind, let the following be judged by yourself and your peers:

- I applaud your successful endeavour in the crude burrows of the Fire Beetles and would expect no less of the Stout Folk's warriors; such threats may appear trivial at first, but burden they heap upon those beleaguered from all sides in a strange and foreign Kingdom. Dare I to advise further? Aye, and I strongly urge you to make your return to your Clanhold in due and prudent haste, for every moment spent away from the females of your Clan and its matters is a moment lost, leaving your precious own without guidance or protection.

- Only good can come out of your decision of speaking with the Human Laird of the lands you tread currently upon; on your judgement about Odren and Bradwyrr, I shall fully side along, for inexperience and an unwilling spirit will and shall lead to disaster.

- I shall reiterate what I insisted upon in my last missive: "Above all, keep your counsel hidden; your eyes watchful; your ears alert; in the comfort of our Halls we may do as we see fit and please. But such luxury is not currently available, to neither of us.". Human (or other) adventurers may solve some issues at first, even providing somewhat strange allies in a foreign land, where little is known and much lies to be feared; but in the long term they shall prove to be too inquiring. If their presence must be tolerated at all costs, I would urge you to keep them strictly at the outmost ring of your counsel, retain your purpose in the dark and keep all things important hidden from them; for they will surely seek to delve unto matters that are not of their competence or wont and you shall have to deal with their ilk in their own land, on their own terms.

- As far as our common search goes, my search on the Mountains of the mountains of the Human Kingdom, near the land they would call Vlasta, has yielded little so far. Reclusive and suspicious as always, the scholars of the enclave the Humans call Songhall have provided nothing that would be helpful to my investigation. My queries were met with abject silence and unsympathetic glares. Daunted I am not; there are other paths that shall be taken. As is usual, any progress made shall be related upon my next missives.

May your Clanhold's forges grow hot, whilst your enemies grow cold.

In Earth and Ash,

Hróin, son of Bróin.-
:: The letter ends with an intricate drawing of an enormous, bare Mountain with a sturdy steel shield depicted as a gate to the sole entrance to its depths. The Mountain’s background is filled with angry roaring fires, a true blazing inferno. ::
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Greetings of Stone, Hróin, son of Bróin,

Taking heed of your missive, I leave Impiltur presently, mournful that I shall not return to the clanhold before The Feast of the Moon is ended. I have sent word of my return, but do not trust any messenger to find the gates of our clanhold without the knowledge of a Dwarf to guide them. It shall be, for the Silversteels, a time of uncertainty and solemn remembrance. I speed my journey the best that I can.

Know that though the green of fields and dust of roads keeps us apart, Odren, son of Odyn and those of Clan Silversteel that yet stay at Godstone Mill shall show their respect to our fellow cause, and perform the rituals of Gorm Gulthyn as best we know them around the greataxe of our people when the night of The Feast of the Moon is come. In obligation to their current keepers, the humans of this land, the axe will be taken upon the next day and put to the necks of the Goblinkin that cower around the roads like the Winter talons that bid them to seek prey.

When next you hear from me, I will be at Clan Silversteel. Odren, son of Odyn will write to you until then, as he will write also to me. I trust my brothers: they will fight and prosper at Godstone Mill, and wherever else our search takes us. Though we do not adapt to the lives of humans willingly or well, we shall not display weakness nor let ourselves be their point of pity. Even in loss, Clan Silversteel will show strength.

May whatever you discover in Vlasta, and elsewhere, be of profit, and let the dangers that doubtless follow quake to know that Dwarves reclaim their rightful places. Where you are, ground yourself with the knowledge that your solemnities are shared when The Feast of the Moon occurs, and always elsewhen,

Mountain's Shadow,

26th Uktar; The Rotting
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:15 am

Greetings of Stone, Thrundun, son of Thrurson this very Nightal, 8.

I confirm and acknowledge reception of your third missive and extend my solemn greeting to Odren, son of Odyn and Bradwyrr, son of The One That Shall Not Be Named. News as such brought to me by it are cause for joy; for in days such as those we currently live in, tidings that testify of our allies reaching their Clanhold in safety are to be clerished.

With such counsel in mind, let the following be judged by yourself and passed on to your peers by any means propitious:

- It pleases me mightily to see you reaching the Clanhold of Clan Silversteel, showing wisdom in returning to it in due speed and apt diligence for all matters pertaining to your Clan. Fortify and endure, whilst the Mountain's depths allow you to build your strength and nurture wounds old and new, cope with stifling loss and plan ahead in the dark days and darker nights of Nightal. The celebration of the Feast of the Moon and the dedicated rites to the Fiery Eyed are also welcome tidings; for in observing duly such articles of tradition, we do show ourselves worthy of our forefathers and their rich legacy. I rest assured that the Greataxe that has brought us together has bitted deeply and drank avidly, in remembrance of the Mountain's numerous, yet unforgotten Dead.

- Ice and darkness shall be your allies whilst your Clan regains its strength and numbers; few, if any, shall dare the Lands Above in such biting cold and the races of those treading upon them are weak and befuddled when faced to the vagaries of the Depths. You would do well to spend such time in blissful isolation: reforging arms and weapons; tending to the rothé herds; stockpiling wood and fungi flour; securing water sources. All such be equally vital as a full company of snarling kuldjarghs and make a Clanhold's position much less vulnerable. Let those that would beseech your craftsmen or your hard-won supplies in supplication be turned away: winter is a time of recollection and rebuilding and all else should be considered as a loss of precious time and resources.

- Let Odren and Bradwyrr toil amidst the Humans of Godstone Mill only until such time as necessity dictates; for they should nay be weaned by the blessed solace of their Clanhold for longer than such. To show weakness amidst Humans is a sure harbinger of further woes; they shall seek to gain advantage over our Kinsmen in ways most sly and devious. To be staunch and unyielding, offering little and answering their prying queries with abject silence: such is a safe means of protection.

- As far as our common search goes, my search on the Mountains of the mountains of the Human Kingdom, near the land they would call Vlasta, has left me convinced that in the mountains our Kinsmen in times old have toiled in its vicinity, making the southern Earthfasts a much better place that it currently is. An expedition shall be launched no later than a month from now to uncover their doings and seek That Which Lies Forgotten; further details shall be enclosed in my next missives. I urge you to be prepared for such a bold endeavour, in ways material or otherwise, as you may or may not see fit. Should your support be needed, I shall not hesitate to invoke our formal alliance, though in hard times such as these I expect little from your mourning Clan and shall not take offense in that which cannot be provided within reason.

- A bastard murderer of orcish blood named Ornak, may its innards rot unto a putrid sludge, has seen it fit to mock my lineage directly by naming its horse steed after my revered father, Bróin, may the Soulforge fuel his spark unto Ages Untold. My rage knows no bounds at such an infamous deed; my revenge shall come in due time, for my memory is long and my reach longer than it expects in its twisted, limited perception. Should you or your Clansfolk encounter it, do not engage in any hostilities against it. Death is an end all too merciful for its foul, stinking hide. I have already began taking steps towards resolving the said grudge in an manner appropriate to the brute's shortcomings.

May your Clanhold's forges grow hot, whilst your enemies grow cold.

In Stone and Darkness,

Hróin, son of Bróin.-

-----------------------------------------
Small dictionary
Spoiler:
(1) Kuldjargh -- the Dwarven word for battlerager, also called "axe idiots". Battleragers are a type of Dwarven fighter whose combat style relies on raw instinct, anger and physical strength. The individuals who practice this type of fighting are usually mentally unstable with a low life expectancy. Despite this simple attitude, battleragers are a key element of Dwarven warfare. Their almost suicidal style allows more strategic fighters to plan and execute more complex techniques, on already worn down enemies.

Source: Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common by Ed Greenwood - Link
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:18 pm

Greetings, Hróin, son of Bróin,

No word yet of Thrundun, but he will have found his way into the clanhold by now, I expect. His missives to you and to us are on their way, slow-footed like the plodding men who carry them. We who remain in Impiltur continue to work for the favouring of our name among the locals, and coin is enough, nearly, that we ought to set out and search for that which keeps us here. I tire of the looks of humans, and the giddy hopes that we shall continue to overwork our backs for their betterment. In all things, humans are too giddy: even their melancholy is excitable, and their despair dramatic. It tires me more than carrying coals uphill for many a tenday ever could.

Odren holds true to the instruction of Thrundun, and does well to court friendly faces in Godstone Mill. Thrundun's core tells him - and so tells us - that we should make allies of our neighbours, but are we anything to them but able bodies? Odren believes that the Thane will be Thrundun. I am not so sure what it means for our clan if this be so.

With thought,

Bradwyrr

10th Nightal; The Drawing Down
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:00 pm

It is two days after the Shield Dwarf, Hróin, begins making solemn steps in the direction of Vlasta that a letter arrives for him in Sarshel. The letter is royally preserved, with two metal fittings biting across the top corners of the envelope to keep its shape. The seal is a Dethek rune, denoting a position of high authority. The letter awaits him in the Customs Office of the city square, for lack of a home where it might be lodged.

Solemn hail, Hróin, son of Bróin,

As this letter reaches you, so too have I reached Clan Silversteel's clan hold. It brings little happiness to be back among my kinsmen, knowing the news I had to bring to them. It was solemn, and bitterly given. They know well of the axe which has now come back into the possession of Dwarves, and know also of those that made survival possible for those few of us in the mountains who did. They know also of you, and of the friendship forged between our two clans at the time of their greatest hardship. Time swings like a greataxe pendulum, as we two clans forge futures for ourselves however we can.

I shall send missives to those Silversteel few who yet remain in Impiltur, for though their search is true, their souls must tire. Any profit that has come of their toil I have yet to hear, though being closer in hours to one another, I hold a staunch hope that they deliver news of profit quickly and easily to you. Your going to the place, Vlasta, may contradict on your ability to receive this letter in haste. If so, it is understood. May Dwarffather preserve your mission.

Things are uncertain here in the clan hold. We are few of men, while ever our history has been one of fewer females. The traditions of the past undergo trial as thoughts of a new thane take an unprecedented turn. A sprendle is being made of authority transferred traditionally from one ruler to the next, though not with intended cruelty to ourselves or the Mordinsamman. Though the position of Thane might be deemed mine to claim, another has laid their claim upon it: a female Sonnlinor. She would see it come to her with the observation of Moradin's holiest day, 1st Deepwinter. Let my script not be deceptive in its clarity, Hróin, son of Bróin: I am unconvinced that it is my right to deny her the position. We are a clan more female than male - an unprecedented thing. Discussions continue.

Where the past can be honoured, let it be honoured: if 'tis Odren's axe that you need to restore dignity to the memory of Bróin, then write to him and you shall have it. Death is more mercy to good folk than to one of Orcish blood, if it means the doing away of the befouled presence such mutants bring. Let it be known that in the war against Gruumsh One-Eye, you stand together with all the clans under the Earthfast Mountains. May your revenge be fruitful, for it indeed is righteous.

Observing the east,

13th Nightal; The Drawing Down
Last edited by Obsidian Sea on Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Greetings of Stone, Bradwyrr, son of The One That Shall Not Be Named, this very Nightal, 12.

I confirm and acknowledge reception of your missive and extend my solemn greeting to Odren, son of Odyn. Little envy makes its way to my heart upon reading your tidings: for whilst both you and your companion boast of a robust health and Human coin begins to trickle in your pouches, you be still trapped in the uncertainty of the Lands Above and their fickle, unstable ways.

I find my steps heavier in the Lands Above, my heart weighted down by the Great Open above our heads. I dread of the endless possibilities that such an infinite world might entail; so many threats and unknowns to be planned upon and countered. Nay, this is not our world. The Stone's confines be warm to our Kin, making everything clear to our strong, gifted eyes.

Tomorrow I am departing for the Lands below, to lead a foray of sell-swords and sell-staves deep unto the Earthfasts, faithful to my search for that which were discussed amongst us. Word of my findings shall ensue upon my convenience. I shall pray so that you be reunited with the son of Thrurson and the son of Oden safely in your Clanhold until then.

And in agreement to your words, I find Humans tiring to deal with. To them even things insignificant become issues of wonder and amazement. Their joys be fierce, their hatred envenomed, their grief numbing; but they be brief in span, a mere scratch at a cave's wall, a fleeting breeze down a rocky passage, a dim spark of the blacksmith's forge. Treat their woes and wonders in such a way and find consolation in not sharing their short-lived fates; for they unravel and are consumed hastily, whilst ours shall endure, proudly standing and remembered for eons to come. Seek little to understand of their will, either; wise be the Stout Folk focusing on their own matters at hand.

Rely heavily upon tradition on the issue of Thrundun's appointment (or not) as Thane of your Clan. Doubt shall gnaw at your strength and dampen your resolve, rendering you mud-like, malleable. In few things do the ancient, proven ways err when followed in word and spirit. Duty and honour oblige all Clanmates to follow their rightful Thane in obeisance of the Edicts of Stone. Should Thrundun's fate be aligned with the Thane's path, it shall soon be revealed to be so. May the Forgefather grant him the wisdom to see where the best interests of your Clan lie, whether from the lofty throne of a Thane or from the stone floor of a Clan member, safely amidst his Kin.

In Kinship of flesh and counsel alike,

Hróin, son of Bróin.-
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Hail Hróin, son of Bróin,

Bradwyrr has me informed of your travels further north of us in Impiltur. What has come of it? We who remain in Impiltur awaiting word from Thrundun continue to work worthy deeds. No longer are we reliant on masonry favours for the tall folk to make our way, but with coin enough we go to the butchering of the most-hated Goblinkind that infest Impiltur. How our axe sings to spill their blood. Clangeddin will be proud.

Thrundun's missives are a long time coming to Impiltur; the journey of messengers makes correspondence slow work, and I do not doubt that discussions over who shall become Thane of our clan are lengthy and sombre to boot. Me? I'll stick right to the killing, and trust the elders to know what is best.

In our travels, I have acquired a scroll, but no suitable place for that for which we toil. Bradwyrr thinks the scroll Arcane, and I know nothing of what it does. Find it here, enclosed, and let it be of profit in future undertakings.

With an axe held high,

Odren, son of Odyn

29th Nightal; The Drawing Down
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe