Hróin - Clan Silversteel

Holy_Rage

Re: Hróin - Clan Silversteel

Postby Holy_Rage » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:00 pm

Retrieving the official letter from the Customs Office in Sarshel, the old Dwarf heads to his acquaintance, the Alchemist-wizard Leos Kromar where good quality vellum, a fresh scribing feather and the blackest, thickest of inks is bought. His steps lead him afterwards to the newly opened Sailor's Star; asking Peren for the most private room available and under the frail, dimming light of a single stubby brown candle, he composes the following missive, the furtive scratching of feather against vellum and the Dwarf's rasping breath the only sounds heard in the room for a while. Once done, the missive is sealed with sealing wax, the Dwarf's signet ring firmly impressed on it and deposited back to the Customs Office, so a messenger may swiftly take it back to its intended recipient.

Steadfast salutations, Thrundun, son of Thrurson this very Nightal, 31.

I confirm and acknowledge reception of your fourth missive and extend my solemn salutations to your Clanmates. News as such brought to me by it are cause for grave pondering and remembrance. The loss of your own Kin, all Stout Folk shall mourn their demise in due and proper form; thrice so I shall, for in alliance blood ties are forged and your loss brings sorrow befitting such ties. May they find solace in the Soulforge's firm embrace, their souls singing the Mordinsamman's glory unto eternity, their watchful eyes bent upon us and steering the living away from the vagaries and dangers of this world.

I also wish for the swift return of Odren, son of Odyn and Bradwyrr, son of The One That Shall Not Be Named to your Clanhold; long have they toiled under a merciless sun, under biting wind and soaking rain. I read of their doings regularly; their toil holds merit and in skill-less lands such as these, I am certain that they shall return to you with stories of success against land and goblyn alike. In the event this missive finds them returned thither, I ask that you convey my formal greeting to them.

Your Clan's workings are not mine to voice judgement upon, out of respect for your strange predicament. A worthy female Sonnlinor or a proven, able scion of Clan Silversteel? I would not dare venture unto such paths, for word wrought in anticipation of your Clan's wisdom is foolish and outright dangerous. Hróin's heart would side with your long-established Clan tradition and nay be turned by this recent, unfortunate turn of events; Hróin's heart would welcome Thrundun as Thane. But we, the Stout Folk, be nay rabbid animals, to act upon fickle whim, crude lust or bare instinct. Change is sadly inevitable and shall be wrought in ways oft unthinkable in times past. Would you speak more of your female claimant? May your choice be the foreman of a better future. To my Clan, any decision you reach shall be evenly respected.

I shall attempt to ease your spirit and tear your counsel away from such grave matters by bringing you word of my expedition and its findings. Indeed, a more joyous subject you shall find this, for finally, my toils and efforts were met with some success. Leading a (mostly) worthy group of adventurers, we managed to pierce deep unto the Earthfasts and return to the land Humans call Vlasta. Even there, death exacted a cruel toll upon our Kin: a certain Azarbuzlar Stahl was slain by acid-spewing, giant vermin. I expected ice and a piercing drive through the pale slaver goblyns' territory; instead our delving brought us in the Flaming Depths, where the Blood of the Mountain boils and coils in fierce wrath, ignorant of mortals and their doings. Yet even thither, the Stout Folk endure and even thrive. We encountered and secured safe passage through an outpost and mining foray of a certain Clan Oridak. A befitting Clan name, for stubborn they are indeed, to lay claim and shoulder danger in the Mountain's Heart. After exchanging greetings and words as our Ways edict, their foreman, the Laird of the Third Abyss, imparted to me precious information highly relevant to our search. Such cannot be impressed upon paper, for spies and lies abound in the Human Kingdom. When your Clan doings be dutifully accomplished, we must discuss at length about my findings and how best to exploit such. I find some of it difficult to believe myself; but stranger things have been known to happen and this marks a sharp turn of events. Could it be sufficient to end my years-long search, in which you partake? Needless to say, the Northern slopes of the Earthfasts shall be visited again. Soon.

And soon shall the debased offcast find itself in the iron grip of Dwarven retribution. Let Odren's heirloom serve elsewhere where it be more needed. My worthy father's memory shall be cleansed of the blemish cast upon it by that insolent thinblood. Your support in this steels my resolution further. Tirelessly I toil and I bide my time. Let it slumber fitfully, in worriless torpor.

For now.

In anticipation of the Turning of the Stone Wheel,

Hróin, son of Bróin.-

:: The letter ends with an intricate drawing of an enormous, bare Mountain with a sturdy steel shield depicted as a gate to the sole entrance to its depths. The Mountain’s background is filled with angry roaring fires, a true blazing inferno. ::

//I will " @tithe 1 halanth re: Hroin's Silversteel letter " next time I am online, to illustrate the cost of the Kromar-bought writing provisions and the Sailor Star's private room rental. If the DM team feels the cost should be higher, please inform me so I may cover the difference IG. Thank you.
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:47 pm

Greetings of Stone, Odren, son of Odyn this very Nightal 31.

I am pleased to read that your mighty weapon has already been put to good use, slashing and cleaving the flesh of our enemies. More so since these happen to be goblyns. Do not fall prey to their seeming weakness, though: many a good and young Stout warrior has fell to greenskin treachery. What these wretches lack in brawn, they make up with malicious, cowardly cunning. The Thunder Blessing is a precious gift; we cannot allow ourselves to return to the dark days of the Fall of Ammarindar and beyond, when our mighty citadels were filled not with strong Dwarven warriors, but with the mute despair of their decimated defenders.

Such dark thoughts put aside, I must admit that wistful amusement stirs in me upon reading from a young Beard such as yourself. For through the words of your missive, your zeal and enthusiasm are a thing palpable; you remind me of myself in years long since past, when my vigour was not so reluctant to surface as nowadays and my spirit was fierce and untempered, quick to anger, prone to error and fearless of danger or toil ahead. Indomitable I felt; and even defeat left a sweet taste in my mouth, for my forces were there to muster easily and renew my onslaught at whatever were at hand, without shame or regret to cast the shadow of doubt upon my doings. Yet at the same time I was vulnerable and half blind, lacking the heavy, but useful weight of experience.

And of my experience in the Lands Below, I shall write little upon this missive; suffice to say that a certain part of the Earthfasts has been witnessed down to the very Heart of the Mountain with the band of mercenaries that accompanied me. Much was gained; I will await Bradwyrr and yourself to finish with your Clan's appointment of a Thane. Once such is accomplished, seek me out under Thrundun's guidance. There is much to discuss.

Finally, by means of this missive, I convey to you and Bradwyrr my thanks for your offered gift. You will be pleased to learn that it has arrived in excellent condition and has not been tampered with in any way. Your companion guessed correctly of its true nature; it is indeed an item of the Arcane. I will conserve it duly and next time the Goblinbane brings us together in a fortified position, I will show you its true potential. Coupled with flame in a timely manner, it is a means to make our enemies cower helplessly in fear and disbelief.

The few dread-filled moments until they meet their fiery death, that is.

In appreciation of youthful spirit and generous gift alike,

Hróin, son of Bróin.-

:: The letter ends with an intricate drawing of an enormous, bare Mountain with a sturdy steel shield depicted as a gate to the sole entrance to its depths. The Mountain’s background is filled with angry roaring fires, a true blazing inferno. ::
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Do the Dwarves have Gods of luck? If not, then one particular Dwarf might have to take his worship to human temples. A missive arrives in Sarshel addressed for Hróin, son of Bróin, on the noon of 9th Hammer. And none too soon: the night that follows its arrival is heavy-laden with snow, and one expects that they would have not received the letter any sooner than three days later if it had not arrived this day.

Greetings, Hróin, son of Bróin,

What word you wrote of late to Odren has done much pleasure by him. He smiles more often now, even when it rains. Already his mouth reached his ears more often than I have seen in other Dwarves. He is a simple warrior, and muses on the thought that you were once the same. I cannot imagine it. If only a letter could convey a sigh. Perhaps, however, that makes him the best company to keep out here on the frontier (the frontier being, of course, all the world beyond the jagged face of mountains, and the realms underneath). I was born to the frontier. I look forward to knowing what 'home' will be again, for the Silversteel clanhold cannot be that for me now, even if I did go back.

But that is word for another time. A blizzard comes, they say. I know not what Impilturans think a blizzard is: if it does not pile high snows that hide the doors to mountains, it shall be no blizzard at all. And if it is to pile as high as that, I anticipate most of these houses to drown in the snow. So be it, I would say, but for my begrudgingly shared situation with these people.

With coin won on a recent expedition, we have purchased a map that leads to mines beyond the western hills. We shall wait until the blizzard has come and departed again before we go there. Perhaps the tunnels go further than human eyes can see, however. If they do not, again, so be it. I look forward to our reunion. Does it come soon? Word from Thrundun of the clan's intentions will be delayed in the blizzard. I know not their intentions. Frankly I do not care.

With thought,

Bradwyrr

8th Hammer; Deepwinter
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Auril and Talos; Talos and Auril. The twin blight of harvests and roads alike, burdening Impiltur's landscape with their Winter fury. Yet few things shall temper a Dwarf's stubbornness. Especially one reaching out to a kindred spirit. Sent with the next contingent of patrolling Warswords heading towards the rural community of Godstone Mill, a message is delivered to particularly brooding Dwarf.

Greetings of Stone, Bradwyrr, son of the One that Shall Not Be Named, this very Hammer 14.

Your words have done little to raise my spirits, yet in your dark counsel I find a similar line of thought, an equally dark mine that must be delved to its lowest level were I to achieve a concise means of accomplishing my goals. My heart aches to return 'home' after decades of ore-less wandering. But where 'home' might be? I dare nay compare our predicament and bear myself to be your better or your servant in misfortune. I would see no Clanhold existing to house my honour, my life, my very existence. And yet, where you would see walls ready to welcome you, you feel alone and cut off from the kinship offered.

My heart grieves upon reading such dire words. But this is no time for empty dirges and wistful fantasies.

A path shared is a path lighter in treading, lessened of danger. Leave the thankless burrows of Godstone Mill behind you; let the Humans toil alone, suffering blindly in the frigid whipping of Winter's fury. Let us re-unite in the Human-called city of Sarshel. It is there, beard by beard, eye-to-eye, that I shall relate to you my proposal. Much is at stake. Bring Odren, son of Odyn with you, if he would come. Young and bright of mood as he might be, there is much that he does not know yet.

In time, he will learn too. To discard hope as a false means towards avoiding the harsh, unending reality of the warrior's ways. To replace such with the staunch, grim reality of toil. To offer praise nay to a day beginning, but to a day's ending.

A brief reprieve before safeguarding the Stout Kin ways. Until his beard grows silver and his bones meld with Stone.

In kinship of counsel,

Hróin, son of Bróin.-
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Finally, piercing snow and storm, and the great distance that divides the far side of the Earthspur Mountains and The Easting Reach, a missive arrives from Clan Silversteel, destined for Hróin, son of Bróin. All the way to Sarshel it comes, only to be redirected to the great library of Songhall, whereupon it shall finally find the one for whom it was penned.

Hail, Hróin, son of Bróin,

Let it be that such things are spoken between us, that cannot be trusted to fickle parchment. When comes the time to give our aid, know that at least you shall have ours: that of myself, and those who at my side lost their blood and survived the battle against the most-hated Orcs at the base of the Earthspurs.

Now, however, I must make good upon that advice you have already given, and recall my kinsmen to my side. It has been deemed fit that their word be heard in the matter at hand, deciding our future Thane. They shall be glad for the reprieve. I do not doubt it. I hope that their work is of some advancement to your cause for toil, and that it betters the name of the Dwarven clans in the eyes of Impiltur altogether. Soon may the same be done again.

Of this Clan Oridak that you have penned word of to me I can find no record. That they survive in the mountains is cause for confidence that the futures of other clans is not in vain when they look towards claiming our mountain empires. Yet for knowing nothing of them, nor the history of their conduct, I suspect anonymity might be their preserver, and so to Dumathoin they must give all their thanks. I shall continue to search, though it is a long age indeed since the Silversteel Clan breached the western half of the mountain range. As I look, I can only trust that blood would not lie to blood, and that whatever information they have given you remains in good confidence, and shall bring profit for us all.

More I cannot write, being in confidence first to my clan. Though it must be that our leadership is soon decided, we cannot act in rashness: be that in the breaking of our traditions, or the preserving of them. Find friends to call upon closer to the sites of our mutual search, and trust with us that soon we shall join our hearts and hammers again to the cause.

Observing the east,

Thrundun, son of Thrurson

10th Hammer; Deepwinter
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:47 pm

:: Weeks spent researching at the spacious libraries of Songhall have clearly taken their toll on the ancient Dwarf; for it is a haggard and paler than usual Hróin that summons yet once more the Messengers' Guild of Sarshel, calling impatiently upon their services to defy snow, ice and hardship; and to deliver the following missive to the Silversteel Clanhold with all due haste. ::
Solemn salutations, Thrundun, son of Thrurson this very Alturiak, 5.

I confirm and acknowledge reception of your fifth missive and extend my solemn salutations to your Clan brethren, with whom I hope fervently to have already been reunited with ye in this long-awaited and reprieve-bringing homecoming. News as such brought to me by it are cause for earnest satisfaction of spirit and counsel; for what else could an alliance honoured invoke to its partaker than gratitude and knowledge that one has chosen wisely with whom to cast their lot. We are the Sons of Moradin, after all; little else would I expect from those following in word and deed the Soulforge's eternal edicts.

Twain and thrice is my joy by your tidings wrought, for the return of your worthy Kinsmen shall finally grant them solace from the bland, tasteless wanderings of this alien Kingdom. May Mithril light their way and never be obliged again to set their eyes to the Great Orb of the Lands Above. Were I ye, I would see that a rich vein's worth be spent without regret over Bradwyrr, son of the One That Shall Not Be Named. I believe the Great Open has sapped much of his strength and dark thoughts gnaw at his counsel. Consort with him carefully, I urge ye, and nay pass your doom upon him lightly. He is a deep passage this one, going on further and further in the corridors of his bidding.

And your bidding indeed I await, when it comes to the matter of your Clan's leadership. Let the matter lie in silence for now; when the Metal be molten, the Cast shall be broken and the Shape of your Clan's decision shall be revealed.

Of revelations I write; and indeed, the past tendays were spent in toil seeking to produce such in various matters of importance. Of the absence of ken over the stubborn Oridak Clan I worry little, but take due note thereof. It would displease me greatly to find lies and falsehood in a fellow Stout's words, but I shall be prepared for such. Proof of their words I tirelessly seek, either in the presence of my Apprentice, whose carelessness can only be challenged by her insolence; or in the presence of a Human savant, a lore-keeper of few words and fewer deeds so far. The Kingdom's ancient ore veins are unearthed slowly and are loathe to yield their secrets, an interwoven pattern of events leading back to no less than seven hundred years. If it is a myth that I am following, know that it is difficult to pinpoint and I shall write to you once more as the time to delve in the Depths shall approach, should any urgent request needs to be written to ye. Where the Earthfasts were concerned in our search, the Northern slopes of them have been abandoned, in preference of the Western range; near where our ancient city of the Hammers, Sarbreen, would lie. I seek to muster all my forces for the upcoming venture. This might prove to be the most challenging of tasks ahead: where Axe and Hammer would gleam comfortingly in darkness, I find to my dismay leering, gawking Human faces and prying Elven eyes staring back at me. Were we to slip in a dark chasm of misfortune, I know not if they shall endure as a virtuous Company or be dispersed like ash made from malformed, wet coal. Alturiak's 21st day and thereforth shall be the final judge of such, a blessed or damning doom to be issued.

For now, I shall issue only the following proclamation: should yer paths cross with a certain Human of the forest, wise in their ways, that goes by the name of Aryen Caladras, treat him with respect and consideration undue to the vast majority of his worthless kindred. For in hardship he has stood staunchly at my side and I do hereby proclaim him officially Khuzdu-Bâha or "Dwarf-friend". In his presence shall normally gleam the deadly light of Abzâg-Ubrat, the token of our friendship, made of terrible Dwarven steel and fueled by the wrath of my Clan's unspoken grudges. He wanders in the tangled paths of the Silverwoods and I am certain he shall strive fully to aid you in your endeavours, should such become necessary and once our alliance be made known to him.

Of more I shall nay write, lest knowledge of our ventures and biddings, of our counsels and plottings, of our dooms and our ways become the feasting table for the preying eyes and ears of those that would oppose us. Let them linger in dread of the Mountain's Shadow; soon, we shall emerge triumphant from the Unspoken Depths, the claimants of a prize most dear to any Stout Kin.

Home.

In anticipation of the Drums of the Deep,

Hróin, son of Bróin.-
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:25 pm

A missive arrives addressed to The Sailor's Star's standing caretaker, Hróin, son of Bróin. Disregarding content, even the very envelope and parchment of the letter is sullied by a difficult journey on the road. Dog-eared and moist, but legible. There are Dethek characters upon the parchment. A Dwarf, or one who knows the Dwarf language, seems intent on communication with the aged Dwarf hereby.

Disclosed only to your eyes, Hróin, son of Bróin,

An ally seeks your presence. Long are the bitter days of travel that have dragged him where he now finds his rest. In the township of Filur there is a tavern which is called for it's proprietor, Garrick, by the local stock. If your office holds you to the city, still, then this letter might find you here and, if you are being unable to venture to Filur owing to duty, pen a letter back this way. The road is flooded and I hear rumour of feline dangers on the plains: you will get no wagon to bring you here, and should not travel alone.

Heavily,

Your Ally

13th Ches; The Claw of the Storms
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe