Lathanderite Correspondence

Copper Dragon

Lathanderite Correspondence

Postby Copper Dragon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:30 pm

The following letter is sent with a Lathanderite wax seal and yellow ribbon. The text within was written in a feminine hand, bold but warm - if rounded-out, clear-to-read letters can convey such.

It is the first of perhaps many letters to come in the correspondence between the local members of the Church of Lathander, the Faerunian god of dawn, new beginnings, vitality and perseverence. The closest temples to the Morninglord can be found in Tantras and Raven's Bluff in the Vast; in Impiltur, no such temple is currently prominent or widely known-of.

Brother Westin Highridge,

May you bask in our Lord's love and light as this letter finds you.

Your previously painful condition has made it clear that our current way of operation – and my way of instructions until now – have been falling short of their mark and require Inspiration and Renewal. Were our cooperation better, you would not have been as gravely hurt as you had been; alternatively you would not have had to experience such for as long as you did. The Morninglord's cause is what we must serve, and we do Him disservice if we do not seek improvement after our stumbles.
As such I hereby start our written chain of correspondence, and bid you respond correctly and consequentially.

The purpose of this exchange of letters is three-fold.
*Firstly, you are to keep me aware of your location or absence, as I will inform you about my own. While I lend you the autonomy to do the Morninglord's work through your own initiative, I bid you inform me where you're to be found or when you expect to return to Sarshel if you leave for any reason. Efficiency and effectiveness are priority here, not formality, but I expect clear language and clear messages.
*Secondly, you are to inform me about the missions and expeditions you partake in or lead. As a Paladin, swordarm of the Morninglord, you are expected to learn to display benevolence, excellence, and drive. Reflection, and writing summaries about your efforts to your senior clergy, plays an important role in this.
*Thirdly, I will use this correspondence as a means to inform you of possible missions, expeditions and tasks that are prudent; and to continue your education of the Morninglord's tenets and wisdoms. While your foremost duty leads you to the battlefield, your mind and spirit must also be cultivated. Our growth is never-ending; our talents never unsurpassable; our efforts never depleted.

In your first response I hope to read about your location; your greatest current challenge, inner or outer; and your current list of Adventuring acquaintances that you are comfortable with.

Let fear and procrastrination never hold sway over you.

Morninglord's radiance upon you,

Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnlord.
Signed on 9th Hammer, 1363DR.
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)

OldBear

Re: Lathanderite Correspondence

Postby OldBear » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:46 am

Spoiler:
The following is written in a neat hand as if he had spent a lot of time in training writing out or copying text from scripts, missives etc. for superiors.
Dear DawnLord,

I have read your letter and respond herein as requested. What you suggest is not only a good idea in my mind, though your requests are not to be questioned as my superior in this land, but a practical way for us to maintain ties and cooperation in our ultimate goals.

I have been meaning to ask you about the shrine, so will take this opportunity to do so. I am currently sending my tithes from funds gained from what many call adventuring back to the temple at Raven's Bluff. I have noted that my request for the use of these funds be for updating and expanding the current shrine located between Outentown and Vlasta. Of course, I indicate the final choice is for those there at the temple and it is just my humble request for their consideration. Do you have orders or suggestions if I should be continuing to send the tithes there or turn them over to you? My superiors neglected to cover that detail in my orders.

As for my current location, I am in Sarshel and have no immediate plans to leave the area for more than a day. I am scheduled to go the visit the sheep farmer south of Outentown today. He is worried about some wild animals or other creatures who have perhaps taken some of his sheep. Together he and I plan on traversing the neighboring hills to check to see if perhaps they are just lost.

My current greatest challenge has been the one faced with you on the hillside in the past few days. The breaking of the circle by you and Sister Kelda was inspired and strengthened my faith in our lord's grace and power.

As for companions, I cannot say I have traveled with many more than once or twice. I have found none that may be uncomfortable, but it is too soon to say I have some I prefer.

Yours in the faith,

Westin Highridge
Servant of the Morninglord

Copper Dragon

To Westin & To the Halls of the Morning Light

Postby Copper Dragon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:56 pm

To Westin Highridge
Brother Westin,

Morninglord's light find you joyous.
Unless stated explicitly I am to be found in Sarshel - as is currently the case, also.

To your questions:
The Halls of the Morning Light in Raven's Bluff will use your tithes well and nobly, however it is time for us to invest in the Easting Reach and the Lord's coming to its frigid, but fertile soil. The coin you support them with is used to strengthen the church there, upon the Vast, and that seed will not bloom flowers here where we must work. Henceforth invest your tithes in our shared activities here; may a tenth of your earnings be redirected to me.

Nevertheless, we will not sever our ties to the Halls; nor will they have no role to play in the renovation of the shrine, for that shrine shall be the primary topic of my newest correspondence with them.

The harrowing that took place on that faithful evening was an exuberant example of why it is important to continually extend your circle of acquaintances and allies, dear Westin. Were it not for my friend Lady Peveril's trust in me and through me trust in the Dawnbringers, we would not have gained knowledge of the miserable place as soon as we have; were it not for the Lady Adorned Kelda Adler we would not have seen the place's magic broken so easily, certainly not at night. The Crying God is a staunch ally of our Lord; we may rejoice for their shared will brought upon the site.

During that night you have fulfilled your duties well: protecting us as we commenced with the ritual. Shielding us from darkness and evil. I only pray no nightmares will find you. The Shadows we have seen there at the time are ugly, shrewd beasts; vanquished as they are now.

In each letter sent by me you will receive lessons important not only to your faith in the Morninglord, but also to improve yourself and grow in His image, as His paladin, and as a better person than the day before. Enclosed you will find the lesson.

Morninglord's radiance upon you,

Signed 12th Hammer, 1363DR.
Lesson.
The first lessons - the first many - will revolve around Thought; the Morninglord is our Commander of Creativity, the Giver of Hope, and the Exalted Exemplar of Perseverence. All these lie rooted in Thought, and all life, all decisions, all actions can be brought back to this powerful element. That is why you must understand it; why you must master it, if you are to excell at your duties as Paladin.

Thought and Character.
The expression, "As a man thinketh in his heart so is he," not only embraces the whole of a man's being, but is so comprehensive as to reach out to every condition and circumstance of his life. A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts.

As the plant springs from, and could not be without, the seed, so every act of a man springs from the hidden seeds of thought, and could not have appeared without them. This applies equally to those acts called "spontaneous" and "unpremeditated" as to those which are deliberately executed.

Act is the blossom of thought, and joy and suffering are its fruits; thus does a man garner in the sweet and bitter fruitage of his own husbandry.

Man is made or unmade by himself; in the armory of thought he forges the weapons by which he destroys himself; he also fashions the tools with which he builds for himself heavenly mansions of joy and strength and peace. By the right choice and true application of thought, man ascends closer and closer to the Divine Perfection; by the abuse and wrong application of thought, he descends below the level of the beast. Between these two extremes are all the grades of character, and man is their maker and master.

Brother Westin, you have the privilege to reflect upon your thoughts in relative peace and splendour; you have seen the light of choice, and you have taken it, clearly, for you now walk the path of Paladinhood - the path seeking more light, more good, more perfection. Many unfortunate souls believe this light is beyond their reach; that they are prisoners of their circumstances, their life, their thinking. They are not, and you can help them realise this; you must. But, before you do, you must relentlessly seek to better yourself. Your own thinking. You are hereby tasked to reflect on the instances that you have felt hate; felt fear; felt laziness; felt envy; to look your imperfections in the eye and be aware of them. Only so can you become conscious, and through consciousness strive for greatness.

To the Halls of the Morning Light, Raven's Bluff
Esteemed Dawnmaster Corlius,

Morninglord's brilliance upon your brow.
We have spoken in person last approximately two tendays before - time flies - I have been grateful for and contemplative of your luminous insights. Now, however, I turn to you for more than ideological theory; I must advance the cause on the Easting frontier with your help. I address you faithfully, knowing that I could rely on your wise words and shining spirit before, and humbly request the following:

Information on the shrine.
You and fellow seniors know of the increased interest in revitalising the - for now - nameless shrine on the Impilturan Laviguer Road. Its location is curious, its lack of life even moreso. This must change, and this is the mission that my predecessor in the region had set out for herself, and what I now take the torch for, to light the way.

Please relay to me any documentation the Halls of the Morning Light may guard regarding the shrine's history; past records, correspondence, its foundation. If no records of its past are to be found in your temple, I will turn with my inquiries to the Impilturan authorities; I hope this can be avoided. Our Church is well-connected and exquisitely independent, and I would rather that image is held so.

A copy of 'The Light That Rises in the Night'.
Recently I've found my interest rekindled in this title, and inquire if the Halls would spare, and send, me a copy of the sacred tome. Impiltur's more lordless regions, and even some civilised ones, suffer under the presence of the Unliving and I'd relish the chance to read the holy texts to strengthen my prayers.

Thank you in advance, and I pray to hear your knee has fully recovered! The ice on those steps was truly treachorous!

May your faith inspire,

Signed, 12th Hammer, 1363DR.
Plays:
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf

OldBear

Postby OldBear » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Most gracious DawnLord,

First I wish to thank you for the lessons you sent for my studies. I have missed my time at the temple where we had training not only of arms but the mind. I had not realized how much I missed the studies until I read your last letter. You have given me much to ponder and I greatly appreciate it.

I do wish to clarify one matter from my last letter to you. While I did send by tithes to Raven's Bluff, they went with a request. I ask the Abbot there if the funds I contributed could be designated to restoring the shrine here. My understanding from him was that request was granted. Therefore there is a start of a deposit there for your work with the shrine in this country. I cannot think of a more noble goal for the greater glory of Lord then to restore it as a beacon to those in this land that with the new dawn may come a new life.

Yours in the faith,

Westin

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Dawnlord D'Assanthe,

Brightest wishes to you, and to your charge. We trust his service to the cause falters no more now than it ever has. The Easting Reach is a place of trial and tribulation, but as the sun rises on each new day, so must we, and reach forward the light, spreading goodness.

Within this letter you shall find no sermon, at your own request. Adrift in a sea of those who do not share our illuminations, however, remain true to yourself, and to the church. The sun's rays pierce the clouds. Do not let yourself be obscured, by opposition or by self-doubt. I write this not to patronise you, but to fortify that which you must already know. The duty with which you are charged is not an easy one. It is my pleasure, therefore, to provide that which you request: a copy of 'The Light That Rises in the Night'. From the west, behind the mountains, still we see your light shine.

Although we are glad for your guardianship of the shrine, it is not true that we can tell you all about it. The tragedy of Lathander's Light at Dagger Falls has done much to scatter our records of things historical, for informing regarding Impiltur prior to the emergence of the Heltharn dynasty had been relocated to the archives there. That shrine was last in operation during the Daemon Wars of Impiltur, Dawnlord. It's function was equal parts spiritual and militaristic, but records on the purpose it served in the latter sense belong to the kingdom. From what I have discovered researching in the archives here, the shrine is a beacon for tunnels below, which connect to other areas of Impiltur: it is my assumption, therefore, that it was a means of movement during the Daemon Wars for Impiltur's defenders.

That said, the tunnels have now been sealed. I know not why. We at The Halls of the Morning Light have the means of breaking the seal, yet such a decision could not be made lightly, as you no doubt understand. The abandonment of the shrine represents some failing of our predecessors, yet I have faith that none within our rank would have receded from the glory of that place without good reason. It is my suspicion, therefore, that things in the tunnels once did - and might still - host a threat to the land, for which our church must take responsibility.

Know that this shrine was never a temple: to make it a site of pilgrimage is an honourable decision. The aspirations of your predecessor, Jhasira (may she be embraced in the sunset) differed, but this I know you already know. Donations from our own flock, from Westin Highridge, and from the congregants you have gathered in Sarshel can go towards the development of the shrine: and they shall. The light of the sun shall shine in every land, upon each new day. That is the true goal of us all, Dawnlord.

Shine bright and true,

Dawnmaster Corlius

19th Hammer; Deepwinter
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:49 pm

To Westin Highridge

A short letter is sent to the Paladin, summarising the contents of the correspondence with Dawnmaster Corlius - mainly that the shrine in the Silverwoods once fulfilled the noble role of a defensive post in the "Daemon Wars of Impiltur", and what, in turn, Artemis does with this information.

The priestess also makes sure to let Westin know of her current whereabouts. This is done consistently for the time being.

Morninglord's radiance rain upon you,
As your warm words wash over me to uplift me so.

I have received the copy of the Battledaler tome faithfully and wholesome, and would thank you humbly for it. I'm surprised and glad to see how well the texts have aged; they read so fluently as if they had been penned today, and so clearly as if not words but pure thoughts were captured upon the pages.

I thank you also for shedding light on the shrine's roots - near-literal roots, if indeed a series of tunnels hides below. The structures around the shrine visibly confirm this, mournfully neglected as they are. I will place further inquiries with the local Heraldry on the shrine's history, treading farther on the path you opened. Sister Jhasira, may she shine at the Lord's side, did not leave notes on the subject.

Winter is not the time for construction work, but Midwinter Day is almost past us - mayhaps already past us by the time you receive the letter - and the days are growing brighter and longer again, and soon will grow warmer and clearer as well. Until then brother Westin and I continue to gather the funds as we have, perseverently, reverently. Furthermore I will study The Light That Rises in the Night's holy psalms, commit them to heart and mind, and plead their power will bring the Morninglord's renewed protection upon the shrine and surrounds. If an evil lay underneath, at any one time, its taint on the grounds cannot be tolerated. Pilgrims and travellers must find refuge and Divine Reflection at the site when they come.

While it shan't be a temple, the shrine should cease to be as lonesome and silent as it is. Once it becomes hospitable, may I kindly ask if any clergyman currently residing at the Halls of the Morning Light could be stationed at this site? In fact - as I penned this letter, our Commander of Creativity just smiled upon me with inspiration! I would like to host this year's first Song of Dawn at the shrine: and would gladly offer invitations to any interested Awakened and Dawnbringer of the Halls to come visit and attend. I have heard brother Vargas Yeslev and the novice Katarina's talented voice, and would welcome them in particular, if they are able, willing and permitted. In such a way, I would like to introduce more of our holy calling to the shrine, allow them to see it; to also promote it among Impiltur's flock for visitation; and to celebrate both the shrine's renewal and spring's arrival, bringing song to the long-silent land. The vernal equinox and thus the Song are a little ways ahead just yet; hopefully it allows for plenty of time for consideration and logistical planning, or for your kind advice on the topic. However, I would rather not risk to tax your precious time, or in any way hoard your wise counsel only for myself when so many need it.

May your faith hearten us all,

Signed, 24th Hammer, 1363DR.
Plays:
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf

OldBear

Postby OldBear » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:33 pm

To DawnLord Artemis D'Assanthe
Dear DawnLord,

I thought it best to inform you of certain recent events that have taken place.

A few days ago on my way to Thelham to deliver your letter to the cleric there of the Sea Lord, I met an older gentleman by the name of Aerendur. He is a servant of the Lady Mystra, a paladin of her faith. Upon our way back to Sarshal we encountered some ruins and later a ship.
Spoiler:
A demon was found in the ruins and the most strange of vines. The demon is of the kind my studies at the temple called a mephit. A minor demon, but still most troubling to find here.
I shall inform you of my troubling findings when we next meet.

The next day I met up with Sir Aerendur on the road along with Master Stahl a most agreeable dwarf, though we do not share the same language. Some of his statements I can follow but not others. He was most troubled about some ruins further along the road and sightings of the walking dead. It appears the gods of light were with us that night, since a paladin by the name of Franz, he refused to be called Sir Franz, appeared out of the dark. We managed to lay to rest, between the four of us, a very large number of the stumbling dead creatures. Unfortunately, there was a most disturbing alter within. Franz said he would report it to the Abbot at the temple, so I hope they will handle the alter's destruction.

Respectfully submitted,

Westin Highridge

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:37 pm

To Westin Highridge
Brother Westin,

Morninglord's warmth upon your heart.

I have received your letter well - and with relief at your successes. Battling that curious vile creature, and then releasing the Unliving of their torture could not have been painless nor easy. It's my hope that you did one more small thing after your victory - marking the locations, so that if necessary we can return to them in combined strength. I look forward to consulting your notes on what you encountered... and vanquished. The altar especially deserves quick action after your advance, to harrow the location properly.

That you have found the company of fellow noble individuals - Paladins of other faiths, no less - is excellent news. While I'm acquainted with sir Franz (indeed, oh so humbly, he prefers not to be addressed by title despite his station), I would be happy to meet with the others you have joined forces with, and bid you keep good relations with them. Much is to be learned from differences; much is to be gained from diversity and unity.

Thank you for sending me word. I trust to see you soon in person.

Morninglord's radiance to you,

Signed, 27th Hammer, 1363DR.
Plays:
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:30 am

Dawnlord D'Assanthe,

Brightest wishes to you, and to Brother Highridge. I write long after the sun has set, and so wax melancholic in my philosophy, for it reminds me how far adrift you are from those who are like-minded, ignited in their hearts by The Morninglord. Show strength to those for whom you must be a rock, but now the words of a beautiful poem comes into mind: "No man is an island" is how the poem begins. How true, how true. It is my obligation, therefore, to implore you to share in your griefs with those who can sustain you. If that person can only be me, then so be it, Artemis. So be it.

Sister Jhasira shall have left you naught on the subject, I fear. There was little she knew, for the light of that candle - magnificent candle, she was - burnt fast to the wick, and thus expired. Of the shrine's history we told her naught, for though she was rich in wisdom, she was young in her responsibilities as an arm for the church, and we had no wish to overburden her needlessly. What good she has done for Impiltur, you succeed with triumph and honour to her memory: and remember that there is no greater good than that which Lathander bids us to enact, though I have faith you would never forget it. The tunnels below shall remain sealed until it is deemed wise by you and your superiors to break the seal: and Artemis, know that the day may never come when that is what is wisest, though your radiant ambition pleads to the contrary.

For the Song of Dawn, it shall be a fine idea to add voices to your choir. The shrine will be a beacon reminded all that go by of Lathander's presence in Impiltur, for it must not be forgotten. You have designated the shrine a site of pilgrimage, Artemis. It is my satisfaction, therefore, to send neophytes in the faith as company to your choir for the Song of Dawn. I hope that you have those among the Impilturan populace that would seek to join the occasion, too. Entrusting our Lord's message to your enterprises, it shall not be long before the coin we collect between us shall be committed to the grounds that you keep, and aye, it seems prudent that we send another of the faith to supervise the shrine and the task when your holy duty calls you to combat and the city. With the melting of the snow, we shall expand the glorious reach of The Morninglord in the east. There can be no goal we care more for.

Glowing regards,

Dawnmaster Corlius

9th Alturiak; The Claw of Winter
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Rejuvenating joy and vigour to you this spring.

I am humbled and grateful for your previous letter, come as it has when winter seemed endless and most isolating. Winter still reigns here, but Midwinter has long passed and the first Song of Dawn of this year has been sung so magnificently: there is no doubt left, only hope, that the old season will make way for the new soon.

That, beyond my wish to thank you so humbly, was the other reason that bid me write you: Impiltur's vernal Song of Dawn has soared at the secluded Silverwoods Shrine. The location today knows serenity, peace, and that is a joy to experience in and by itself, in the understanding that heavy burdens once lay upon those stones. However, on the First Spring Day that serenity and peace was elevated to shared happiness, and if I could I would send my happiness from then to you across the mountains. I have only words, but may they please you nontheless: a gladdening amount of people attended. Dear brothers Yakub and Yeslev and sister Katarina have touched hearts that day, our Lord's, mine and the audience's.

It is fitting that this collective celebration would be the great public reveal of the Silverwoods Shrine - and serve as its baptism, dear Dawnmaster. Never have I enjoyed our Song of Dawn as with my fellows from Raven's Bluff.

They leave on the morrow, my prayers sailing with them - and this letter, of course. I trust they will regale you in full of their findings and impressions of Impiltur. I have asked them, but would ask you also to send my loving regards to all at the Halls of the Morning Light, and to receive my grandest wishes of good health, splendid memories and blessed beginnings, now that the year has truly started.

May the Morninglord's light fill us all,

Signed, 26th Ches, 1363DR.
To Westin Highridge
Cherished Dawnguard Westin,

The love of the Morninglord keep you warm.

I am grateful for your stalwart work throughout your stay in Impiltur: you have championed beloved Lathander's cause for half a year now here, and this demands attention - praise - acknowledgement. Our Lord's faithful are not great in number in this country, and for that your presence is all the more precious to me, even if we do not meet often, and even if we could not celebrate this spring's Song of Dawn together. While our choir sang, I knew your sword kept evil at bay. I pray we may meet soon enough, under peaceful circumstances, in joy. That - joy - is as much an essence of life as is bringing goodness to these struggle-torn lands.

Stay blessed on the righteous path,

Signed, 26th Ches, 1363DR.
Plays:
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf