Lathanderite Correspondence

Copper Dragon

Re: Lathanderite Correspondence

Postby Copper Dragon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:05 pm

To the Halls of the Morning Light (Raven's Bluff)
Esteemed Dawnmaster Corlius,

May Spring bloom wherever you look.
I am glad for the chance to pen to you again, and hope I have not caused worry with my silence towards the Halls of the Morning Light.

While the Year of the Wyvern must surely have brought down its challenges on you, you will know that the Easting Reach has been tackled mercilessly. Side by side, a relentless winter and a demonic interloper - an abyssal warlord, a harrowing slaughterer, a Flaming Prince - weakened the country. But not this nation's resolve or the Morninglord's presence.

Indeed, we have conquered both enemies.
The winter relented and the people endured united. The Flaming Prince was defeated and we recover relieved. The Temple of the Triad was cleansed and the city, Sarshel, heals today bolstered.

In all three Lathander's hand showed and I submitted to its guidance. I brought His light to the people, to the battlefield and to the holy grounds of allies. I have organised citizens and merchants to join in Midsummer revelries; I have fought a demon in the presence of the bravest the region could offer. Most fulfilling yet utterly humbling of all, I have called upon Castor the Golden who heeded the plea and aided in banishing Evil's grip from the Triadic Temple.

These I have had the honour to accomplish in tandem with our Church's allies and my own, and I look forward to how much more I will yet have the opportunity to do.

I now bid the council of Dawnmasters of the Halls of the Morning Light to lend me the title of equal rank also, so the Easting Reach may know: we stand here strong. We stand here booned, bright and bold.

Yours in faith,

Artemis D'Assanthe, High Dawnlord.
Signed, 3th Ches, 1364DR.
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)

Ostheim

Missive to Artemis

Postby Ostheim » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:15 pm

A letter is passed to Artemis' manservant, to be delivered to her promptly.
Hello, Arty.

I suppose I could have just as easily called upon you at your home rather than leave a letter, but I in earnest do not wish to become overly fraught with anger or emotion whilst I'm in the middle of some pressing investigative work. Putting the quill to the parchment is easier in some cases. Concerning said investigative work, we may yet have things to discuss in time, when I am on the offensive instead of merely reacting to things leaping out of the shadows.

But for now, I will focus on Merney.

I meant every word I said in there, and after. On the honeymoon of our victory against evil, the esteemed church seems dead set on spitting in the face of their own merciful and enlightened reputation. Rather than offer any form of constructive forward movement for him, they would prefer to leave all parties involved in this miserable affair as bitter and broken as possible. Yes, 'tis not his life they will take, but speaking frankly he only needs the other to work if the misery and cynicism produced by this 'punishment' becomes too much to bear. His crime is inexcusable, but this merely piles tragedy upon tragedy, and I know you must know this. Nothing will be gained from this, not for Merney. Not from someone who has already had piled upon him bountiful guilt.

What capital I have with the church is slim-to-none; my contact in the loyalist faction has, I suspect, already done what he could for Merney, likely sparing him the hangman's noose. I had prayed for something better, but fortune was unkind in that court room.

Quite frankly, though, I grow quite sick to death of stubbornly stating, like an entitled child, that he deserves better for what he has done for them all. That the accomplishment of what is right should hinge upon political favors being cashed in sickens me, but it might be the only recourse we have left at this point, as they have already shown that they care little for their own crumbling reputation in the face of all these calamities.

You were silent in there. We all were, some more than others, but I shan't tolerate it any longer. I write to you because you are both one of his prime advocates and someone whose influence will see things done if you put your head to it. Your faith is becoming rapidly more dominant in this fractured Triadic landscape, and it was your aid and your willing capacity for sacrifice that saw their temple sanctified. Perhaps they should remember this.

Merney needs a way forward, and losing his hand will not solve anything. You cannot take the warrior out of a broken man, but you can forge a better one first, one swaddled in duty and faith to a righteous cause. Let him have a new beginning; I am told your God specializes in those. It would sicken me to have him be beholden instead to the Triad.

Whether you do this out of love, affection, or as I have appealed to you in a sense of duty to what is right, I beg of you to try.

May you bask forever in the strengthening light of the dawn,
Wynna Blackwing
Wynna Blackwing - Scholar of history, ruin delver, intrigue dabbler
Rannie Marrinson - Knight-Errant, Paladin of Sune
Teobald Grzywacz - Outentown peasant, ranger and adventurer

Copper Dragon

To Wynna Blackwing

Postby Copper Dragon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:37 pm

Dear Wynna,

If penmanship could uplift a broken man yours could move mountains.

Know that I have not sat idly and that I hope our efforts may be joined soon. However, I am sure you will know also that I will not ask for favours for deeds I have done out of conviction ~ nor do I believe they will be necessary.

Merney will not be abandoned by us or the gods, whatever comes.

Morninglord's warmth and brilliance surround you,
And our friendship remain unbreakable,

Artemis.
Plays:
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf

Astral Fire

Postby Astral Fire » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:17 am

Dear Artemis,

in these days, as you probably already know, I've spoken with many people about Merney's trial and, after having thought a lot on the matter, I humbly assume I could have a solution for your plea.
When you have time, I would like to discuss more with you in detail about this.

Your friend, Cassandra
//OOC @Copper: this could be discussed in game between our toons when you have time, just tell me when you're avaiable :)

OldBear

Postby OldBear » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Honored Artemis D'Assanthe, High Dawnlord,

I hope this letter reaches you safely and in good health. I was able to catch a caravan heading for Sarshal out of Vlasta, and the driver assured me he would see it safely to your residence, for a small fee of course. But because of that, I am limited in time, since he will only wait while he waters the team.

As perhaps you might recall, I have been spending most of the past ten day at Songsun Spire. It has been a time for me for quiet reflection as well as doing necessary chores around the place. Brother Kaleb and I have enjoyed someone else’s cooking for a bit by sharing the duties of a making one. Most of the nights, we spend reading and discussing our studies or sharing our very different backgrounds and how we came to our current service with our Lord. During the day, I have been sweeping steps, pulling weeds, cutting back some of the underbrush and moving rock, lots and lots of fallen debris. Mostly from the crypt or old mausoleum below the Spire. I did take a day or so off, and packed some travel food and spent some time exploring the region around the Spire. I made some interesting discoveries around the area. Some fit into what the locals were telling me when I stayed at the Spire so Brother Kaleb could attend to you after your recent recovery.

I write to you now for two reasons. I have been asking around about the grounds not far away. It appears to be an old manor of sorts. Those I have spoken with have given me a name only. Oh they each have their own tale to share, and no two match. They share only two things. A name, that of Demeter, spoken with an uncertainty, and a common thread of sorrow and tragedy. I was wondering if you knew anyone who might have more information. Perhaps the Herald would have records? I think it would be good to know more of the land around the Spire since we know so little about it.

The other reason I write, is because I have finally removed all the rock and debris from before the way into the mausoleum. What I found is another puzzle to the area. There appears to be a door or perhaps a plug made of solid metal. It is ringed with old, round rivets and for the life of me, I can find no handle, or way to open the thing. Whatever it is, it is rusted on the surface, and appears to have been wedged directly into place. As far as I can tell, it completely blocks anyway in or out of the place. I was wondering if you knew anything about the structure? I was also wondering if you would mind if I sought out a dwarf I know by the name of Unger to look at it? Perhaps he could tell us more about its construction.

May our Lord bless you and hold you in his hand,

Respectfully,

Westin Highridge

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Noble Dawnguard Westin Highridge,

So rare are our letters that I treasure each quillstroke.

I am glad to read of your time with our Brother-Dawngreeter; you will have to share what you were able to discuss with him at such length. He speaks of you warmly and with loyalty, as he is a warm and loyal man, but we do not often share paths to talk.

Now the dawn shows me you and I do not share a path either - not this day. I want you to delve into your findings around the Sunsong Spire, while my focus lies with the cityscape: the chapel we have prospected; our autonomy in relation to Raven's Bluff and Tantras; and a trial.

To aid you, I send you attached a transcript of the Dawnmasters' illuminations regarding the Spire and its original function.
Spoiler:
Although we are glad for your guardianship of the shrine, it is not true that we can tell you all about it. The tragedy of Lathander's Light at Dagger Falls has done much to scatter our records of things historical, for informing regarding Impiltur prior to the emergence of the Heltharn dynasty had been relocated to the archives there. That shrine was last in operation during the Daemon Wars of Impiltur, Dawnlord. It's function was equal parts spiritual and militaristic, but records on the purpose it served in the latter sense belong to the kingdom. From what I have discovered researching in the archives here, the shrine is a beacon for tunnels below, which connect to other areas of Impiltur: it is my assumption, therefore, that it was a means of movement during the Daemon Wars for Impiltur's defenders.

That said, the tunnels have now been sealed. I know not why. We at The Halls of the Morning Light have the means of breaking the seal, yet such a decision could not be made lightly, as you no doubt understand. The abandonment of the shrine represents some failing of our predecessors, yet I have faith that none within our rank would have receded from the glory of that place without good reason. It is my suspicion, therefore, that things in the tunnels once did - and might still - host a threat to the land, for which our church must take responsibility.
You have my permission to seek out Unger mac Rotu for this undertaking. Take heed that a historian could aid you well also, such as Miss Wynna Blackwing. All except the dwarf Hróin and his close associates are welcome at the site.

May you bask in Lathander's love and light,

Artemis D'Assanthe, High Dawnlord.
Signed, 20th Ches, 1364DR.
Plays:
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:19 pm

High Dawnlord D'Assanthe,

May it be gold wherever your steps lead this day. A new year passes through with promise for His children, who from the father are blessed with peace and unity. The heresies spoken of upon The Moonsea of a year prior are put to rest finally and forever by an inquisition headed by The Order of the Aster. And though it cannot be denied that His worship struggles in Phlan as consequence of our earlier struggles, I yet maintain that discrepancies of the faith are more hurtful to our cause than popularity is crucial. Let not the vanity of success cloud true purpose.

I say this to you not for doubt of your ability, but in the hope that words penned may shield as well as words spoken by we Clerics: nowhere has success been earned so unprecedentedly as in Impiltur, and the church knows that all efforts towards that progress have been executed or inspired by your doings. It is cause for joy. Those pupils of struggling quality in my church are told of your exploits more tendays than not - for where is hope for the new dawn more aptly demonstrated in the modern day than in Impiltur? It is with joy, therefore, that I bless your coming quest to have your own chapel in Sarshel, to which many a faithful pilgrim shall be sent from all corners of the north to profit by your wisdom.

Upon the day of that temple's opening, know that the title of Dawnmaster will be yours. From that day, match your responsibilities to mine: but do not seek to emulate all that I have done. The nations to which we bring enlightenment differ, and though our titles acknowledge it not, our genders makes our wisdom and our leadership addressed differently by our flocks. You will have your own flock to manage, for which you shall be obliged not to me - not even in report of your duties. And yet may we continue to correspond for as long as He sees fit to keep us to this world. Much to my own shame, I am no longer as young as I once was, and your quests bring me as much happiness as they bring our Lord joy.

Shine bright and true,

Dawnmaster Corlius

18th Ches; The Claw of the Sunsets
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

OldBear

Postby OldBear » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:25 pm

A letter on quality parchment and written, as if the writer took some time to carefully handwrite the letter using his best penmanship, is left at the Golden Quill.
Dear Miss Wynna Blackwing,

I am writing to you this day in your role as historian and researcher. As you may know, the Church of Lathander has a shrine by the name of Songsung Spire in the Silverwoods. It is a place holy to our church, but the history of it has been lost to us. I pass on to you what I have been able to gleam from our temple records.

The shrine existed prior to and was last in operation during the Daemon Wars of Impiltur. It remained abandoned until recently when our order here rededicated it. From what I understand, it served both as a spiritual and militaristic base of operation for the church. Of late, I have been spending a majority of my time there cleaning up the debris from the fallen structures there. I have been given permission from High Dawnlord Artemis to explore not only the history of the shrine but the surrounding area.

As for the surrounding area, there is an old fallen manor nearby. I have spoken to several of the locals and from them, I have learned that the former owner went by the name of Demeter. Beyond that, the reports vary wildly. The information I have learned match in only two ways, the name and that some sort of sorrow and tragedy is associated with this name and the estate.

As such, I would like to make inquiry of you if you would be willing to research the history of Songsung Spire, the man named Demeter and if there are any records as to the existing title of land and boundaries of the temple property. Since I presume I will be paying for this research out of my own pocket, I would also inquire to how your fee would be charged. Most of my funds have gone to the building of the new temple in Sarshel, but this project is important to me and I will endeavor to pay you on a regular basis if you undertake this project.

Respectfully,

Westin Highridge
Servant of Lathander

Ostheim

Missive to Westin

Postby Ostheim » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:17 pm

A letter is passed to Artemis' manservant, to be delivered to her, who will then presumably deliver it to Westin.
Well met, Sir Highridge. A shame our brief meeting at the Quill did not produce more fruit, but you seem like a busy man. Thus, I will focus on the essentials here rather than bog you down in social tripe.

I have been to your Sunsong Spire once or twice, though never staying for terribly long. I remember being intrigued by its ruined vistas as I am most ruined things, and so it would follow that I would be pleased to open a more thorough investigation into its origins and history. As for the Demeter Estate, I have also trekked across its broken carcass more than a few times, and would likewise express enthusiasm to sink my teeth into it properly. I cannot promise the world, but I will do what I can.

I'm sure you can surmise that I am, like you, an extremely busy person, so I apologize if my findings do not reach you promptly; the work of digging through tomes and harassing heralds and record keepers for information is often of a glacial quality. I will do my utmost to balance this with my other pressing duties, however, of that you can be assured.

As for the matter of cost, seeing as how I run a business now, unfortunately I cannot provide this service free of charge as I perhaps used to. I might need to acquire new tomes from Songhall's House of Many Tomes, which is always an expensive prospect, to the tune of four-hundred sardils per book. I would expect this expense to be covered, at the very least, and would hedge my bets on at least one to two books being required to complete my research. On top of this, I would only ask for four halanth, which should help cover provisions for the road to Songhall or the area around Sunsong Spire, as well as paying for inn visits. I will keep you informed as I go, so you might plan accordingly. I'd advise you to coordinate with High Dawnlord D'Assanthe if you require assistance paying, as I'm quite certain this is all going to be in aid of her efforts as much as yours.

I hope you find all of this agreeable, and I look forward to learning more about these things. Please get back to me as soon as you can, so I might start my research.

May you find solace and warmth in your own eternal dawn,
Wynna Blackwing
Wynna Blackwing - Scholar of history, ruin delver, intrigue dabbler
Rannie Marrinson - Knight-Errant, Paladin of Sune
Teobald Grzywacz - Outentown peasant, ranger and adventurer

OldBear

Postby OldBear » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:10 pm

Dear Miss Blackwing,

I thank your for your reply at to my inquiry. I find that your rates are reasonable for the services being requested, though I did not anticipate journeys to Songhall. I had hoped the local herald might have the records. However, there is a reason I am requesting your aid and not attempting this myself. I just wouldn't of thought about checking in Songhall.

I do have one request regarding your rates. Please keep me advised as you go along of the amount necessary. I recently gave all of my disposable income and savings to the temple. As a paladin, I do not tend to have much coin on me at any given time. I of course will begin to save what I do receive toward this project. Currently the 8 silvers you have mentioned are doable and I have that amount. Substantial funds beyond that, might have to come from Raven's Bluff or I will need time to arrange payment. If this is suitable to you, please begin your studies as soon as you are able to do so.

Respectfully,

Westin Highridge