Serace Stats and Feat Change

Moderator: Aethereal

Silver Snow

Serace Stats and Feat Change

Postby Silver Snow » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:01 am

So after a discussion with Toros earlier, I realized how odd Serace's attribute selection was. Stats conversation ahead:
Spoiler:
Having been made a year ago, I begun the character with an odd score in several stats, though the only reasoning I can recall is that I was under the impression that -1 Dex armor was the only one available. I believed that my initial stats were 15 Str, 11 Dex, 11 Con, 13 Int, 15 Wis, and 12 Cha, which is already an odd and redundant selection.

The truth is that I do not recall what my starting attributes were, as if I started with 15 Str and 15 Wis like I thought I did (with the intent of taking 16 Str or Wis at 4 and the other at 8), it would mean I had an odd-numbered point loadout at game start. This means that sometime, over a year ago, I must have actually started with 16 Str and 10 Dex or Con and taken a rank in..one of those at 4. By my math my starting points seem to have either been 31 or 32, depending on what my starting stats were. I'd like to chat with a DM in game to figure out what happened there, or educate me on basic arithmetic if that's where the issue is. If it is determined I somehow got more points then I'd prefer for the final loadouts to either be 10 Dex and Con and 14 Int or 10 Dex, 11 Con, and 13 Int.
The other tag-on change I would like to make is to replace Serace's lvl 6 feat, Knockdown, with Power Attack. Not only do I think I would make more use of power attack, but I have been having serious issues with KD working as of late. Very often it seems that even if I activate the mode and continuously click it, the attacks that connect do not seem to even prompt the STR check. I also took KD just before the changes to Power Attack that I find very favorable. I'll do more testing to see if it still imposes the -4 ab penalty, but I believe it does.

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Re: Serace Stats and Feat Change

Postby Loreweaver » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:53 pm

The attribute total is actually invalid, probably as a result of a bug where death penalties aren't always properly applied. Serace should have been at -2 DEX before her restoration but only had -1, so now she walks around with an extra point. Similarly, she is marked as having -1 CON currently but does not suffer the CON penalty. The correct attribute profile is STR 15+1, DEX 10, CON 11, INT 13, WIS 15, CHA 12.

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:26 pm

That does indeed seem right, I'm glad I didn't forget how to add. I assume a DM will fix me next time I'm seen in game?
The feat change is a separate verdict, I presume.

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:32 am

I would like to reaffirm that KD currently does not work for me nine times out of ten, so I'd prefer the feat switch for this reason more than any other.

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:14 am

Just out of curiosity: What is the DC that Serace gets? I have KD for Aleks and when he is not raging his is 13. When raging it is 15. It works wonders against plenty of enemies for him.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:42 pm

When it does connect, her DC is 15 (Buffed with bull's strength). But the issue isn't that the KD is simply not beating their DC, after some testing last night (by that I mean literally spamming KD for an entire couple of dungeons) I saw it hit and the DC check trigger only once. I can do more testing to see whether or not her attacks also have a lowered AB at the time, but I'm fairly sure they did, just hard to keep track between flanking bonuses and buff durations.

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:37 pm

That's strange. It works pretty well for Bors. I'll point the player to this thread to see if he can offer any insight.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:10 pm

Just FYI : it works without issues for Aleks. Just tested it against a bunch of orcs and they fell like ripe apples from a shaking tree.

Something worth noting : there is the occiasional message that KD failed and I do not see a roll. That is not any of the issues you experienced, Haplo?
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Ataraxia

Postby Ataraxia » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:24 pm

(To add to the KD issue)
I don't understand what you all mean by DC since I thought it was a d20+STR vs d20+STR check but I have noticed that KD, once activated, cannot be used for 2 rounds after and the AB penalty is applied throughout the "cooldown" period. I do think I have noticed instances where I hit with KD activated but the system just didn't register it (no Str. vs Str., just an attack with AB penalty).

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:55 am

I think that's what I've noted, yeah. Serace might kill enemies too quickly for me to notice past 2 rounds. Even if it working as intended, I rarely get to see effect from it in the last several dungeons and earlier. I haven't gotten any message on the failure on KD attacls, no.