Sarshel - The Fall of The Triad

Baldgeek

Re: Sarshel - The Fall of The Triad

Postby Baldgeek » Sun May 08, 2016 11:17 pm

Trish waded through the impossibly heavy silence of the streets of Sarshel...

.... falling limply about her narrow shoulders her strawberry-blonde dreadlocks were now bloodied and soot peppered ...

She had tried to help many that night ... some with bandages and salve and others with prayers of safe passage beyond ...

... periodically thin shafts of light peeked between and around the boarded up windows off various residences as she walked on ... others remained dark ... some ... some would never to be lit up again that night ...

The small halfling wiped her eyes as a sudden emotion of intense mourning coursed through her body ... shaking visibly she stopped ... tears streaked her cheek .... here she was ... a daughter of clothier and a chandler ... having lead a simple life filled with nature, farmers and her families' merchant trade ... and now she was in a city leagues from that life were, in a sacred human temple, a Daemon straight from the hells slaughtered innocents, destroyed structures and battered souls ... many of her friends, companions and acquaintances fought in earnest to fell the grotesque beast but swords glanced off and arrows ... her arrows ... disintegrated a foot before it hit the flaming flesh that ebbed and coursed around its' vileness ... before it was gone ... back into the darkness from whence it was borne ...

.... moving on her small frame silently walked the streets until she made it to the City Square ... in the night figures could be seen moving about .... some slowly and others in a hurried manner .... some of the refugees from the temple and its surroundings had started making their way here to the main gate ... to the security of an access of physical escape ... but it wouldn't be that kind of escape most would need access to in the time to come ....

... she had that night sought to escape ... go into the wilds and regain her sense of self ... the self before all that happened ... it was that moment, however, when see saw the silhouettes in the night ... heard the crying ... heard the pain and lament that her work had just began ... her reason for being here had its purpose ...

... as she whispered a small prayer to the Watchful Mother for help she checked her rucksack and removed the three remaining vials of herbal salve and hurriedly made her way to the nearest cry of pain to join in that nighttime dance of death and life ...
"Don't change the color to match the walls. Look like you belong and the walls will change color to match you." - Tasslehoff Burrfoot

Character: Trish Winterbrooke: halfling ranger, herbalist, woodcrafter, follower of Sheela Peryroyl and proud owner of some unkempt strawberry blonde hair ...

Toros

Postby Toros » Mon May 09, 2016 4:16 am

Jerek had returned from a patrol to see the path of destruction the creature had left. The strength and cruelty of the creature was clear, and the air in the city was thick with mourning, so soon after the death of Imphras V. As Jerek prayed in the broken temple, he grieved for the priests who had been slaughtered and for the people whose homes had been damaged. A black fog of guilt for being absent when the Church was most vulnerable seemed all around him...

Jerek fell back on his training as both a paladin and a soldier, and the path forward became clear. He checked on his loved ones, and put together a plan for the next critical weeks with Kelda for how they would work to restore Sarshel, destroy the demon, and continue to help the kingdom. He spent the evening helping clear rubble, putting his grief into his labors.

Unlike many in the city that night, his sleep was fitful, and he awoke with hope in his heart.

He seeks out the Alorn, if he yet lives, and does his best to raise a rallying cry the remaining warsword in the city, to bolster and inspire their courage.

"In times of tragedy and chaos, bandits and marauders see opportunity to steal and oppress. We must remain /strong/, for the people look to us to protect them. For them to have faith in us, we must have faith in ourselves.

Sarshel Elethim wrested this city from demons before, and we will do it again. Every one of us knows that the price of peace and prosperity was paid in the blood of the warsword. If any have forgotten, we will remind them in our deeds!

Those that died gave their lives to prevent the demonic taint from overrunning the city, and we owe them a debt we cannot repay. What we can do is continue their legacy, to give every breath in our body to fight evil. We are the protectors of the kingdom. We defend the people from beasts, bastards, and the hobgoblin hordes! WE ARE THE WARSWORD OF IMPILTUR, AND WE STAND FIRM AGAINST ALL FOES!"

Jerek does his best to show the strength of will and unshakable faith of a paladin he feels the people need to see. He stands proudly in his warsword armor, cloaked in the colors of Ilmater. He tries to help where he can moving rubble, extra patrols on the docks, tending to the wounded in the clinic, or even helping merchants move their carts past the broken cobblestones.

Also, I play Galondel.

cyberjesterb

Postby cyberjesterb » Mon May 09, 2016 8:56 pm

A missive is left in the care of Jerek Adler to do with as he will. The lettering is clean with a touch of artfulness.

To the Warsword Leadership,

I would like to express my desire to aid in the defense of our dear country in these trying times. My skills would likely make me best suited for Warwand membership but I will serve in any capacity you see fit to the best of my ability. I am of local birth and my family maintains a farm in the lands north of Outentown. I have studied many subjects as a student at Songhall Library. These include but are not limited to the arcane arts, natural flora and fauna, numbers, and planar phenomena. The last of which I have specifically focused upon since coming to know and occasionally work with Sword Jerek Adler and Adorned Kelda Adler.

The majority of my field experience and combat education is thanks to these two as well. In whose company I have combated undead, goblinoids, and a number of other such threats to the region. I have some limited medical training and have assisted at the docks district clinic run by Priestess Adler. Currently I am capable of casting incantations of the second circle and below and am specialized in Abjurations. Please put my knowledge and talents to use in the protection of Impiltur.

Thomas of the Paige family
Bors
Orm
Ghaulvur Forlimodr

Danuvis

Hope

Postby Danuvis » Tue May 10, 2016 1:51 am

Immaculate Casavir had spread word to the clergy and what remained of the Church according to Adorned Kelda's instructions, gathering as many as he could in the remains of the Temple to then address those who would hear him, and after his speech, ensure none of them found themselves in need of soothing, aid, or anything that could help them or the people, and if any of them did, he would provide what he could.

“There are those among the people who belittle the efforts of the Three, of the Church; they would grant us no leave to dispel these malicious rumours and clear these mists that enshroud our creed. They sully our reputation and point accusing fingers at the faithful. To scourge the backs of those who have have suffered and even died for you? That is a travesty most grave, but one we must respond with the virtues of the Three, for the people are afraid and desperate; in search of answers. We must demonstrate to the small-folk that we do not take kindly to the merciless and the foul, that even when we are in shambles, the Triad stands strong and prepared to do what must be done.

We blessed siblings in blood and purpose; urged by duty, righteousness and faith, must now march to stand on the precipice of another dark chapter in our history. Our people hope to find us as faithful and resolute in the service of Impiltur and the Three as His Majesty had supposed us to be. The dark grasp of the past grows tighter upon the kingdom, and when it finally closes its shadowy fist, we will stand together as a proud, unified nation. Everything may look bleak now, but we owe it to the fallen to carry on their legacies. In this, blessed are we, the chosen of the Three, to instill security and hope in times of need. An age of prosperity and salvation will follow these tumultuous times, just as calm follows the storm and as peace follows war. The hegemony and primacy of the great Impilturan kingdom will echo throughout the ages in the death cries of our enemies and the songs of our heroes.”

When his brief sermon came to an end and he had spoken and caught up with all that were willing to converse, the Immaculate made his own wishes known to try and clean the Temple of the blood, rubble, and everything else that tainted it; hoping to take the first step among many towards making it the beacon of hope that it once was, though only if the needs of the people had been met.
Last edited by Danuvis on Wed May 11, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Wed May 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Sarshel is a changed place. First, the Daemons made it so. And now it is those who push past the paralysis of fear that cripples many of the region's people in the wake of 7th Mirtul who become the new change. Out of denial or optimism of the population, or sheer force of their actions, the steps taken to repair the city by all of those who fall under the broad classification of 'adventurer' is felt, so that the immediate terrors of Daemon attacks become a second - albeit a close second - in the minds of the people of Sarshel, replaced by the toddling stages of new hope, and the more immediate need to ascertain their own survival.

-----

Kelda Adler, known also as Sister Kelda, is not often seen throughout the city in the days following the destruction. Having accidentally installed herself as a public figure in Sarshel by opening her own clinic upon the docks, her presence is often sought after as one of hope. The few hours when she can be sighted are perhaps very difficult for her, because they are hours filled with pleas, praise, and the accusations of a very divided citizenry which tell her well enough how suitably the city has fallen from being a self-sustained bastion of Triadic faith. Nevertheless, there is much to be done behind closed doors, and if it pains her to neglect time spent on the streets doing the field work, it is a necessary pain. Much of Sister Kelda's time must now be spent in talks with the surviving representatives of The Temple of the Triad. Rising into a role of social responsibility the likes of which her peers might not have thought her able for just one year ago, Kelda Adler begins the tireless work of repairing Ilmater's good name, and forming a long-term plan to end the suffering in the city.

//OOC: This storyline will be temporarily continued through the medium of PMs.

-----

Isendor Draal becomes occupied in a laborious role, handling physical tasks within the church that seem so taxing to the body that it ought to take two men to do it. His strength is valuable, though it is rarely his spiritual strength which is asked of him by Krieger, Lawkeeper of Tyr. Isendor Draal is no Priest, and not considered a member of the local church. The Lawkeeper expresses gratitude and shows the man praise for his enduring attitude in the wake of the disaster, but when Sister Kelda first arrives at the Lawkeeper's door, Isendor is not privy to the content of their conversation.

Shortly thereafter, Isendor Draal's services are indeed passed into the hands of Kelda Adler, and though he is no healer, Krieger trusts that the Priestess of Ilmater will find some use for the enduring spirit and able body of the Damaran Fighter. For the purpose of co-ordinating the church's efforts to aid the city, Isendor Draal is advised to introduce himself to Casavir Saelac, who shall also do the work of the city that Kelda Adler will not be available to do.

-----

Artemis D'Assanthe becomes a crucial figure in reviving the confidence and faith of a despairing city. Using Athkatlan diplomacy and a wit for trading deals that she has inherited from her nationality and her faith, the Priestess of Lathander ameliorates the power gap between the suffering and some of the unaffected merchants of the city, whose instincts to hike up their prices to compensate for loss of trading deals due to the weather and the infrastructure surrounding Sarshel would have hugely undercut the ability of the plighted to aid themselves. In this way, Artemis D'Assanthe indirectly aids in the field work of the healers that operate throughout the city in its hour of need. Foremostly, she retains the leadership role for which she has been known, organising the populace to help each other and themselves in an efficient and practical way. Being unburdened by administration, and able to operate in the public eye in a way that the debilitated Triadic faiths cannot do easily in the immediate aftermath of 7th Mirtul, Artemis D'Assanthe successfully anoints a large number of citizens throughout the course of her community action, spreading Lathander's influence swiftly throughout the city.

-----

Serace Highblade makes herself an invaluable source of morale and moral instruction for the city guard and the Warswords, who go unnoticed by many in the more immediate scramble to aid the citizenry. Patrols are reluctant, fearing an encounter with the Daemon, and numerous critical losses within the Warsword ranks have momentarily left their operation a pitiful parody of its intended purpose.

The Faithblade feels her obligation to step back into an administrative role, restoring faith and internal efficiency through talks with Krieger, Lawkeeper of Tyr, and Sister Kelda. Quickly, the Warsword authority is restored, and she is pushed out of influence among them - though there are men and women within the ranks who have heard her words and been strengthened by her words, and in this small way her influence will have been felt. Word reaches her promptly that it is Jerek who shall assume control over the duties she has momentarily occupied. She is thanked for her integrity, but she has much to do, and so do they. Serace Highblade and the Warswords go their separate ways, for now, as the Faithblade enters into dialogue with the survivors of The Temple of the Triad so that she can restore the image and authority of Torm in the region.

//OOC: This storyline will temporarily be continued elsewhere, the medium is TBC.

-----

Going beyond the limits of the city and high up into the mountains, Celith Galiner might be the first among the adventurers who witnessed the events of 7th Mirtul to realise that the region has already been in a dire state of insecurity. Rainfall pushes the snow, and the roads are muddied and impassible for wagons and caravans; and once the rain has ended, it is only so that more snow can fall. There are many dangers lurking in the wilderness; as a Druid, Celith fosters a suspicion that the things of the land will sense and smell the apprehension of the human settlements, and will use the opportunity to claim their own territories; as a Ranger, he is no doubt more proficient than any other should he wish to track the offending creatures down. But now, he goes into the mountains.

The passing of the Daemon has been felt, indeed. The sky is silent for one whole day after the night of the Daemon's flight. The birds have fled elsewhere, disregarding Nature's cycle. And why shouldn't they? The Balance is always disturbed when an unnatural force of great power enters into its habitat, and there might be nothing more powerful than the Daemon that destroyed Sarshel.

Yet despite his best efforts, Celith Galiner does not discover the location of the Daemon. It's shadow seems to cast a huge presence over the land, which is all afraid, or acting out of desperation - an instinct that will undoubtedly effect Vlasta, and Outentown in due time - but from where the terrible entity casts its shadow is as yet unknown.

-----

Wynna Blackwing's latest publication circulates with unprecedented haste. Scribes within the city are quickly putting themselves to work to assist her in distributing the piece. Songhall's representatives within the city, though they are few, enter into discussion with the scholar to try and acquire multiple copies of the piece for use in research and archiving within the library. Alas that the rise towards Songhall is not only arduous, but thoroughly treacherous in the snow. Pilgrim's Road after two days of rainfall is nothing short of a mudslide, almost impassible - certainly so for large shipments.

Throughout the city, Wynna Blackwing might hear her work being recited to tell the tale of 7th Mirtul. It becomes an implement for sermons by those who decry The Triad, and by Triadic apologists. Maybe that is the essence of excellent literature, however: ambiguity. How this shall effect Wynna Blackwing or Sarshel remains to be seen.

//OOC: This storyline shall be continued in a separate thread.

-----

//OOC: Thank you to everybody for getting involved. I shall return to you as soon as I can to respond to the remaining initiatives that require response. I have run out of time this afternoon, so apologies to those who are still pending information. It was not my intention to tease! Any PMs or threads thus far that I have mentioned shall be constructed I will also handle at the next opportunity!
PS. I shall also apologise for the various typoes that are likely scattered throughout this post. I will proof it later. For now ... Let's say I did it to keep you all on your toes.
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Shadowtim3

Postby Shadowtim3 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:16 am

Tim started to help the best he can. Utilizing the healing prayers he now can use to help heal the injured, and sick between helping clear the rubble from around the temple. Though not known among the populous, he doesn't seem to mind. Putting strength and magic to the people in need.

Tim didn't hide the fact he was a paladin of Ilmater, however. Never raising a hand to the angered masses, always offering aid to the pleas for it. And humbling himself to those who gave praise to him for his aid. Never wanting payment for his help, he always returned it politely and with a friendly smile. He performs his duty as a paladin of Ilmater, however. Saying last rites for the dead, healing the wounded, curing the sick, and offering words of comfort to those in distress.

Shouldering the burdens of the populous. When he returns home in the evenings, he would mostly never make it to the bed. The magical strain on his body, and physical exhaustion often leaves his sisters to drag him to the bed. And covering him with a spare blanket on the floor for him to sleep in. Knowing that he would go out to do it all over again without fail.

Timothy Skyraven, Paladin of Ilmater (Main)
Beldur Wolfheart

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Fri May 13, 2016 10:42 am

Any presence of kindness, however small, makes a different in this troubled time. And though small of stature, Trish Winterbrooke's altruism overflows the measure. Her skills as a medic and herbalist go beyond that of many Ilmateri, though so few are left against whom to compare ones talents. If there were those who doubted a Halfling's contributions, their deprecation is dispelled in the coming days. Beyond the work of healing that Trish engages in, her size makes her instrumental in getting in and rescuing the lives and bodies of those who were lost in the falling rubble. As things begin to repair, there are many families who owe much to Trish Winterbrooke. But as life is, when the city begins to climb back to its feet, the smallest become lost in the crowd. Little people can make a big difference, but Trish is soon to learn that her role in the aid of the region following the events of 7th Mirtul will take her far beyond the walls of Sarshel.

//OOC: This shall be continued in a separate thread.

-----

Jerek's words rally the crowd, and while his wife must preoccupy herself behind closed doors, the Paladin of Ilmater is quickly installed into a position of authority, co-ordinating the Warswords and seeing to the region's immediate safety. Though he is a Paladin, his prestige as a Sword Leader is more highly demonstrated in his efficient ability to mobilise the remaining Warswords. He finds a handful of the men reluctant to follow orders: it is not out of disrespect to him, but rather for fear of the Daemon that bides its time beyond the city walls, and the desperate desire to stay with their families.

But many of them remember the words of Serace Highblade, and those that have not been swayed are put to deference when Jerek's promotion to the rank of Alorn is confirmed to them. There are too few men of experience left to lead, and with the roads ruined, it will be too long before reinforcements can move to repair the security of the city and its roads. Utilising his new position, Alorn Jerek begins to ascertain the condition of the roads. The further from Sarshel one goes, however, the more perilous it seems.

//OOC: This shall be continued in a separate thread.

-----

Thomas Paige,

Your words are weighted at their worth. It is the time when people must rise to their feeling of national pride, and give of themselves to protect their families. News of your experience with Alorn Jerek of Ilmater is reason for us to take confidence in your capabilities, and to master magic of the second circle is more than most who engage with The Art prove capable of. In this time of great peril, we are proud to see our people committing themselves to the cause of maintaining order and protecting the kingdom. In the city's Old Quarter, outside the Threespires Laern, anticipate a meeting with a Warwand representative, and we shall discern where best to put you to work in our service, and in that of the nation.

Steel your mind,

Warwand Natarya

9th Mirtul; The Melting

//OOC: This shall be concluded when we next have the opportunity to meet, with time, serverside.

-----

Casavir Saelac's words are a source of inspiration and spiritual sustenance for those who hold true to the belief that The Triad has not forsaken Sarshel. With wisdom and with magnetism, the preacher does the work of The Crying God where it is needed most. People are too scattered and helpless to condemn his lack of favour in the eyes of the Gods - he is not Priest; he is no Paladin. That does not matter now. Traumatised by the events of 7th Mirtul, people seek only for a source of confidence, and there are few to be found from the nation's institutions.

Immaculate Casavir must do his due diligence, and report his success to Sister Kelda. Among the populace, he learns that those who defect from the teachings of The Three do so most often to pledge themselves to Lathander.

-----

The Divine power bestowed upon Timothy Skyraven by Ilmater is valuable to the city's survival. He works alongside a great many healers with whom he might just as easily have shared the field of battle, for it is the adventurers of the region who show their spirit when the terror of a Daemon attack paralyses other men. The Paladin's patience, and his demonstration of the Ilmater virtues is a source of reassurance for the people. He is often asked about other operatives of Ilmater throughout the city, and it might suit his purposes when the immediate need for aid is lessened to meet with these people. Foremost among the names is that of Casavir Saelac.

Soon, when his strength is restored and the citizenry is back upon its feet, Timothy Skyraven knows without doubt that his blade shall be needed. For where there is opportunity, Evil prepares to strike.

-----

In all these ways does Sarshel begin to change. Stone is shifted, and beams are lifted, but it is the spirit of the city that is most in a state of transference. Working collectively or independently, no adventurer who puts themselves to purpose finds themselves without it, or without gratitude and heed from the citizenry; the church; the merchant force; or the military might of the once-proud, once-immovable city of Sarshel.
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:25 pm

Two months have passed since the Daemon crisis that still haunts Sarshel's inhabitants and perhaps the stones themselves. The memory alone of that terror is pervasive to not only the mind of a man, but to the very fabric of the world itself. Yet there has been mobility in the crisis. While the greater powers reassembled and sought to stabilise themselves from within, it was the adventurers and the heroes of Impiltur who moved to save the city from demise at the hands of its own insecurity and fear - not to mention the myriad of dangers that lurk scarcely any further from the city gates that the farmlands.

The Three have been transformed by the crisis. The Temple of the Triad in ruins, and the people of the city having turned away from the faith, there is perhaps no institution that suffered more from the events of 7th Mirtul than they.

Ilmater has risen in esteem. Forever worshipped by the lower classes, the help of many hands and the timely erection of Sister Kelda's clinic upon the docks has preserved His good name with the city's labourers. In addition, The Crying God's influence has extended to some of the wealthier inhabitants of the city who have fostered a morbid attitude following 7th Mirtul. Jerek Adler's promotion to the rank of Alorn has heightened Ilmater's profile among the Warswords, too, though He still struggles to remain relevant in the line of work with which the Warswords are pressed, which is becoming as much offensive as defensive now that the Alorn has set his sights upon ridding the Goblin presence from the edge of the Earthspur Mountains.

Torm remains a presence in the Sarshel region, albeit a weakened one. His worship remains primary among the Warswords, and the association of the Faithblade, Serace Highblade, to the work of the Warswords has helped to preserve this is the wake of 7th Mirtul. Influential figures within the city that have fostered a paranoid approach in the aftermath of 7th Mirtul attempt to urge Torm's presence among the community, seeing a need for a militaristic presence within and around the city like never before since the establishment of the Heltharn dynasty. Adventuring activism and its focus upon social repair and local concerns, as well as the absence of a fixed hierarchy upon which Torm's church has always relied, has undermined His influence in day-to-day concerns.

Tyr, known also as The Maimed God and The Even-Handed, has earned a new name among the locals. 'The Third'. More than Ilmater and Torm, Tyr has suffered the loss of many followers in the wake of 7th Mirtul. Without Haron Aulenbryn to lend his wisdom, and the disasters brought on by the abnormal climate conditions preventing the arrival of official aid sooner, the morale and economy of Sarshel has done much of its repairing without the presence of Tyr's Priests and followers to aid the process. Outnumbered by the servants of Ilmater and Torm among the adventuring community, and having taken much of the heat for church's failure to prevent the Daemon attack upon the city due to His perceived primacy among The Three, Tyr's followers have waned significantly in number.

There is work yet to be done. Some have faith that the worst is behind them; some do not. Expectations are widespread that The Temple of the Triad shall be rebuilt with Ilmater's primacy in mind, not Tyr's. Construction has come far already, but the interior of the building is still off limits to the public. What is clear is that Sarshel is not the same place now that it was when the snow first started to fall; before the Winter laid its claim upon the land; before the death of Imphras V; before The Three fell.
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe