Kelda Adler - Sermons on the Steps

Poisonous

Kelda Adler - Sermons on the Steps

Postby Poisonous » Sun May 22, 2016 4:30 pm

In the days since the demonic attack, Sister Kelda has found herself far too busy with the work of rebuilding the Church--literally as well as figuratively. When she is not aiding in the reconstruction or reorganizing, or training new acolytes, sometimes she has a rare moment to give sermons to the troubled people of Sarshel. With so little time, she does her best to be concise.

It is on first the steps of the docks, and then on the steps of the ruined Temple, that she twice gives the same short sermon. Rolling her sleeves up, clearing her throat, and raising her voice, she speaks:
My fellow refugees, of Thesk; my fellow Ilmateri; my fellow citizens: we have been asked to endure, had our strength tested. It is strained under the burdens of pain and confusion, of wondering how safe we are. We have been able to live safely for so long that we have been able to forget the worst dangers of the world. Any of us would be tempted to turn to fear and doubt, to break apart as people and families and communities. Some would be tempted to turn to false, useless hopes and assurances.

But this is our home. We cannot turn a blind eye to our own problems--we cannot merely hope that the problem will go away. We must endure these trials, and I know in the deepest part of me that we will endure. We will come out of this night all the stronger, all the greater. But to do this, we must stand together more firmly than before. We must remember that where any god, good or ill, will embrace us come morning: Ilmater stands with us throughout the night. Ilmater has never forsaken us, will never--and we must remember His example. Stand together with your fellow people through the night. There will be better times ahead, aye, and a morning--but we must bring it to ourselves.
She pauses, allowing for a small change in topic. Perhaps it is convenient that the priestess had only just returned from destroying a Greater Barghest--it seems she relies upon that, and her own experience fighting the Demon, to give a little hope now.
This demon that walked our streets is not invincible. Our city was unprepared, yes, and it took advantage--but I saw it harmed with my own eyes. I saw it bleed. I saw it stunned by only the Light of Ilmater. Even now many of us regroup, plan, work against it. We will give our lives to fight it, if we must.

All I ask of you is this: endure. Be the great people I know you are--be people you will be proud of in years to come. Reach out now more than ever to your fellow men and women. If you have coin or time to spare, share it with those in need. If you are unsure where to send it, I can direct your donations as needed. But most of all, have faith and be Good.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Poisonous

Re: Kelda Adler - Sermons on the Steps

Postby Poisonous » Sun May 29, 2016 10:50 pm

Other sermons are soon given.
I know that the question in many hearts is--why was the demon in our city? How did this happen? As our church rebuilds, we are learning the answers to these questions--as well as how to defeat the demon.

We have learned where the demon came from. A Narfelli artifact, found by myself and several others, nearly a year ago. Turned over to the church for safekeeping. For all this time, Abbot Aulenbryn fought the demon inside that artifact. For a year, he protected all of us. A greater demon, no less--more than any mortal could be asked to win a battle of wills over.

Impiltur stands on the graveyard of a demonic empire. Its relics lie all around us, waiting to be awakened--and men like Abbot Aulenbryn have stood steadfast against these demons, silently, never complaining, alone in their enduring. And how does this city repay his sacrifice? By turning away, bitter and grumpy, taken in by the latest fashions and gossip. How easily do so many allow themselves to forget the great sacrifices that have shielded them from the terrible things beneath them?

And yet, so many of us stand steadfast, like Revered Abbot Aulenbryn. So many of you do not turn away so easily. These faces are not forgotten. Ilmater's hand will be ever outstretched for all of you, even those who lose themselves in moments of fear or gossip.

Abbot Aulenbryn fell because he loved us greatly, and suffered for all of us. Abbot Aulenbryn protected us from the worst the demon had to offer. I ask that you join me in vigil, now, in gratitude and respect for the Abbot, as well as the clergy and Warswords who gave their lives defending the city. We must not forget them; we must not make their sacrifice in vain. Let us stand strong and have faith: the Triad never falls.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...