Nathaniel Askovar - The Two Swans

Obsidian Sea

Nathaniel Askovar - The Two Swans

Postby Obsidian Sea » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Calishite influence in the Impilturan everyday was nothing that could have been anticipated. The cultural and geographical disparity divorcing the two nations made the coming experience an unpredictable one, but one for the better, not for the worse. Nathaniel Askovar, at least, was hopeful of this. The integration of seemingly impossible cultures was proven in him, was it not? His place was not among Impilturans, nor Shaarans; Derlusk and Tantras were constructions of stone and wood, and their hard, measured shapes - much like the new gates in Sarshel - earned a sense of loyalty and ownership from the people therein. Not Nathaniel: his obligation was not to the architecture of one place or another. Rather, it was to people. Fathers; mothers; brothers; they had been earned and they had earned him. Neither blood nor border; religion nor race would constrain the sense of community that was at the core of Faerûn's humanity. Like the alienated Elient countryside, some people needed only to thaw.

Nathaniel Askovar journeyed along the narrow streets of Sarshel's docks, seeking The Belle's Bottom. A common haunt, though Bardic admirers might tell him he could do better. He came bearing a song, and though it was given freely to those that would listen, he had more cause to be there today than that. Those that frequent The Belle's Bottom that he had come to know, and whom he had come to know knew the owner, were held to his company for a while longer. With these fellows, the Bard inquires as to the last known location of the owner of The Belle's Bottom, who has heretofore been an invisible player on Sarshel's social scene.
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Copper Dragon

Re: Nathaniel Askovar - The Two Swans

Postby Copper Dragon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:51 am

The Shaaran lad was not an unfamiliar sight at The Belle's Bottom: he was saluted with a raised mug or two; a mercenary captain welcomed him and requested for a bawdy song; a few returning sailors from other ports smiled at his arrival. Nathaniel Askovar was usually received here with warmth, thanks to his charm, quick wits, and of course his catchy songs and music: the latter which were much desired against the great foes of mankind, boredom and depression.

At his query about The Belle's Bottom's owner and his whereabouts, though, people shrugged - but some even scowled. There was the serving girl Charlotta, who had to make do managing the kitchen and fellow personnel, who showed the most indifference regarding his employer. "He's on business trip," Charlotta said with tight lips, as she always did, perhaps with a grudge.

As much as Nathaniel was liked and praised in this shanty tavern, answers were not given that evening. Neither Charlotta nor dockside workers nor off-duty guards or sellswords were willing to offer more than a shrug, and a few a careful, uneasy glance around. Several people seemed to have their own ideas about the owner, but no one was inclined to discuss it - not with the amicable foreign bard, or not yet, at least. If he pursued the matter, though...

In the coming tenday, Nathaniel Askovar could inquire or observe again. Different avenues were open to him: the serving girl Charlotta; a mercenary captain by the name of Nuyvar, with whom Nathaniel was on good speaking terms; Reyk and Oleg, dockworkers who frequented the place for years and years; or the few merchants who came by The Belle's Bottom on occasion with badly concealed frowns of worry.

Was it a Bard's mere curiosity to ask after The Belle Bottom's owner? Was it idle fancy, or perhaps the desire to solve a dockside puzzle that had him inquire? It remained to be seen if the exotic Shaaran's interest would last.
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Nathaniel Askovar lets the matter rest for two evenings thereafter, playing melodies and singing songs that have soft qualities. It is not his wont to sing always in the Trade tongue, nor does he know the Easting language with any suitable level of proficiency to perform songs in a way that is especially familiar to the people of Sarshel. Yet he was always rather unsuccessful at falling into comfortable, categorical definitions, even before he had left The Shaar. A philosophy of sharing ideas and song made him make a habit of singing songs in many tongues, allowing a lack of comprehension for the lyrics prompt the audience to engage more with sounds, and emotional resonances. Continuing in that line of practice, the Bard spends some time at The Belle's Bottom doing as he has commonly done, and taking heat off the matter.

To whom to speak? Charlotta had not been forthcoming, and he fears that she might risk her own occupation by divulging anything about the tavern's owner, for Nathaniel knew not what engaged him to keep him so distant from the place that made his profits. Judging by the poor reputation of the tavern, and the sometimes-inexcusable behaviour, Nathaniel had taken license to expect misanthropy to be at the heart of the matter. The merchants who frowned might have plenty of reason, and the affinity of the Bard had never been in economic matters: if he succeeded in the quest he now undertook, it was his hope that their problems might be piled upon his shoulder's at a later date - if the current task did not preclude that possibility altogether.

It is to the mercenary captain, Nuyvar, that he opts to speak, inquiring after the owner's whereabouts and status. It stood to reason in the Bard's mind that Nuyvar had some prior dynamic with the tavern's owner - if no longer a presently existing one - from which to form an idea of the owner's behaviours and engagements, if not a more concrete idea of how he could be located. Tales of battle and at least two noteworthy successes in the adventurer's field would perhaps leverage his reputation with the mercenary captain more than what familiarity and good exchanges of word might accomplish, for thus far they had not liberated the tavern's occupants of their silence on the matter.

Therefore upon the third night following his initial inquiries, Nathaniel Askovar performs The Ballad of Stribog's End for the patrons of The Belle's Bottom. Up-keeping the oral tradition and his own spontaneous use of song, the details of the song differ for this audience in a way that brings forth different narrative priorities and lessens others. A heroic confrontation with Stribog is here swapped out to tell of the party's resourceful and collaborative efforts to anchor the Wyvern and battle it landlocked: the once-protagonist of the tale is seen nearly to die in the course of the encounter, only to be rescued by a brave crossbow shot by Lev Balakov, whose role as the everyman (and accidental hero) of the tale is heightened to resonate with the Bard's current audience. His performance concluded, the Bard lifts up a hearty brew, and thereafter finds a path that will bring him to the mercenary captain, Nuyvar, to begin his inquisitions.
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:15 pm

The ballad resonates throughout The Belle's Bottom, and almost no other voice stirs to interrupt it. There is an off-duty guard in the corner who mumbles to a friend absently, and a dockside merchant who tries to shoo a stray tomcat away from his meal, while Charlotta wordlessly serves drinks; tankards and bottles clinking on shoddy tables softly. All eyes seem to be on the Shaaran lad, and all ears committed to the retelling.

People cheer for the various characters of the story; someone mutters proudly at the realisation that he has, in fact, been treated at Kelda's Clinic by that one fellow, Anton, while another nods with enthusiasm at Lev's mentions, as if they were best of friends with the Vastar young man. At Merney Valroc's valour, tankards are raised, while lady Rannie Marrinson's verses conjure dreamy (and sometimes leering) looks from patrons. Jonan Mard's final strokes drum up thunderous laughter - that bugger was seemingly known by a great many of them, fondly or cursing or both.

When the song ends, people are almost disappointed, but clapping and tankard-bunking against wood comes quickly enough.

And Nuyvar, captain of the Three Hounds company, welcomes Nathaniel Askovar with an old man's smile. "My boy, I've heard plenty songs of made-up things. You have a good imagination. I liked it." When asked about the owner's absence, Nuyvar grows grim, almost mournful as he looks at Nathaniel's alien, amicable young features.

The mercenary captain's sigh is that of a tired man's. He leans forward on his stool, works his jaw, then rubs at the stubbles. "I like you, boy. I do. But you're asking the wrong man."
Spoiler:
OOC: The player is requested to make three consecutive Diplomacy checks, whose results or screenies he can post in this thread. Based on the three rolls, Nuyvar shares with him more information - or far less of it.
Plays:
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:59 am

Spoiler:
Diplomacy Check results:
1) 3 + 12 = 15
2) 10 + 12 = 22
3) 3+ 12 = 15
Nuyvar would listen to Nathaniel's words - be they few or many; accompanied by pathos or reason; embellished by smile or keen piercing gaze - and listen well and long, silent. He looks to his fellows, subordinates all three, but comrades too. The look he shares is grim and dour. The matter at hand is severe.

"You're asking the wrong man," he repeats slowly. He frowns, and leans in to add on a mumble to Nathaniel, "But if you're wise, you don't ask anyone. There's business and there's business. Horst's been gone a good long while, and I doubt you'll see him again. Maybe one day Horst will show up, but it won't be the man we remember."

Nuyvar says this meaningfully, but perhaps still too vaguely to be much worth. He grabs the slender Shaaran by the shoulder, patting it twice in a friend's gesture, but there is a heaviness to the movement; an underlying burden. He'd dismiss Nathaniel with what courteousness a mercenary captain has picked up for clients, as for him the exchange is over. It is probably difficult to leave the bard on angry or crass terms, and Nuyvar only seems grave and dark after they part ways.

A few days later, however, should Nathaniel still come by, Nuyvar approaches him at The Belle's Bottom, loudly requesting a song. "The boy is back! A drink for him, and may he sing for us! Sing, boy. And after, we talk a bit."

And so the mercenary captain would sit with Nathaniel Askovar; and so he would darkly mutter under his thick moustache. "There's woods down south called Folly's Forest. Once, Horst went down that road... once, Horst has not come back. There's nothing there now but ghosts. People've gone lost there before, and probably will for a good long time, boy. But maybe you'll have luck, finding some hidden treasure trove, hah. If you care enough to trek down that far as that. With your tall tales before, you might just come back with a ghost story."

Nuyvar briskly stares into Nathaniel's eyes of grey intellect, and then offers a gruff handshake - like a warrior's, grasping his forearm rather than palm in a tight grip. There's regret in the mercenary's face, or maybe sympathy for the bard's cause. A lost cause?

When he lets go and leaves, Nathaniel may note a piece of parchment stuck to his wrist...

OOC: Sent player a PM with the note's contents, as well as would like to continue this in game.
Plays:
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:12 pm

It is promptly after this meeting that a letter addressed to Lori Peveril reaches 5 Shield Lane. Nathaniel Askovar disliked the content of the letter he had received at The Belle's Bottom, though it was not without value to him. But if that letter had provided the Bard some counsel, the real question was really to whom did the content of it refer? To the man he was seeking; or to himself? He spends little time then in the city, relocating with Demethien to Outentown.

My dear friend, Lori,

You spoke the other evening that I were ever in need of a friend's aid, I should come to you. Too soon I hope to avail you for those kind words, for I find that my quest takes me soon along a tangled path, and to walk it alone seems never the safest or surest move. I have taken Demethien and journeyed to Outentown. I will stay at the Legre Farmstead for a time. There is little I can say through a letter, or even face-to-face, for I know only where to take action, without the knowledge of what I can hope to find or what shall find me.

I consider you and Perry Quietfoot both to be good friends; boon companions. If either of you can lend your support, take this letter to be a hand extended, one to each of you, welcoming that support. I will expect you in Outentown, yet if I move elsewhere, be assured it is by my own will that it is done. No trouble will befall me here, and you will hear from me again from Vlasta, or some remote location between here and there.

Yours in friendship,

Nathaniel Askovar

31st Marpenoth; Leaffall

Before he had altogether quit the docks seeking refuge in Outentown, however, the Shaaran boy passes by Kelda's Clinic on his way from the troubling encounter at The Belle's Bottom. He recalls Anton's words that he has much more free time now that Sister Kelda has returned, and so he knows not to stop and seek the Monk there.

Nathaniel takes a long road to Outentown, going first down the estate road from Sarshel's gates, wondering if where he last shared a dialogue with Anton might be where he would find it again next.
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:09 pm

Georghu's Warehouse, unheeded by many, sees many visitors in one night and the morning that follows. Bidding farewell to friends at its doors the hour before sunrise and the community wakes to greet another frost-hardened day, Nathaniel Askovar turns back into the loading bay of the establishment and does a second sweep for details that could have escaped his notice when he had proceeded down the room earlier than evening, infiltrating the building in pursuit of The Topaz Dragon Company's head honcho, known as The Tsarina by her henchmen.

It had been the talents of Perry Quietfoot; the martial prowess of Anton; and Lori Peveril's power that had brought down The Topaz Dragon Company. Together, they had laid low the organisation and pried its soon-to-be strangehold off of the Sarshellan community. Nathaniel had been a guide to that; a unifying force for the completion of Good deeds: he claimed no melee might to rival the capabilities of his friends. But the power to make friends out of strangers The blood of The Tsarina was on his blade, however. It was a heavy blade already, comparative to the one that the Shaaran boy had formerly wielded, yet the blood had a different weight, and tolled a new chapter of the boy's life. The sword had cut the fabric of innocence, but by its very nature it was one unfit to be an armour upon the path he walked.

Those Who Harp would come and confiscate the white lotus. The warehouse would undergo a thorough scrub for new information, though Nathaniel held the most of it already, at least. The Topaz Dragon Company's stamp upon the city would soon fade, and the contamination in the granaries would see no continuation, nor would the city see interference from The Zhentarim again. Not if he could help it.

He sits down at the ledgers and missives. The connotations of them he understood thoroughly, and he believed without egotism that he was tasked to a Greater Purpose - such was why he had heeded the invisible, silent call of The Harpers. It called for movement once again. Such was life, however, and he had known that from an early age and with a poetic poignancy that was lost to his tribesmen upon The Shaar: for there was a world of endless sights and size to move within. Nathaniel? He would go where he felt most needed.

But his quest held him fast in the environs of Impiltur's Sarshel at present. First, he would track down the contracts for The Belle's Bottom among the documents that he had seized from The Topaz Dragon Company, and put to rest the mysteries surrounding Horst's disappearance.
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe