Levelup Skill Hitch

For reporting various bugs found in the module.
Ronan

Levelup Skill Hitch

Postby Ronan » Sat May 07, 2016 5:40 am

Not sure if this is a bug, or just me messing up! :D

I just hit level 5 last night, and went to take my first rank of Skincarver. I have four skill points available, and it said that Balance was a class skill! It is currently at rank 3, and I attempted to put all 4 level up points into it..... only to be greeted with a message saying "There are too many ranks in balance, your level up has been refunded." upon completion of the leveling process.

I then attempted to raise it only to 5, splitting my 4 points and putting 2 elsewhere, whereupon it told me the exact same thing.

I've refrained from taking my level for now, till I understand what's going on here. :D Anyone know what's up?

Toros

Re: Levelup Skill Hitch

Postby Toros » Sat May 07, 2016 5:53 am

You're limited in how much you can raise class skills not shared by your classes to prevent alternating two classes and keeping them all maxed.

My understanding is that you could raise balance to 3 this level, and 4 next level.

You get 1 point every other level of barb (so 2) and 1 point every level of skincarver.

Also, I play Galondel.

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Postby Loreweaver » Sat May 07, 2016 8:32 am

See also here. Because it's not a class skill for your first 4 levels, you can get (4+3)/2 = 3.5 ranks by level 4, and that becomes 4.5 ranks as it's a class skill for your level 5 class. Rounded down, that's a maximum of 4 and it'll probably be 7 by level 8.
In comparison, a monk/skincarver gets up to 11 and a pure barbarian up to 5 (but they also pay 2 points for every rank).

Ronan

Postby Ronan » Sun May 08, 2016 1:28 am

That explains everything! Thanks!

Ronan

Postby Ronan » Sun May 08, 2016 2:58 am

Bit of a new problem!

I took my level up just fine, and chose the "Sign of the Crescent Moon" tattoo! This tattoo is supposed to give an extra barbarian rage per rest, providing you have barbarian rage to begin with. This should be bumping me up from 2 rages to 3..... but I still only have 2, tested after several rests to be sure.