Negative energy damaging undead

For reporting various bugs found in the module.
Kerstman

Negative energy damaging undead

Postby Kerstman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:49 am

Not sure if this is a bug or expected behaviour, but without asking I'll never know for certain so here it is.

In various manners I noticed that some negative energy damages undead rather than healing them. I also spoke to Highlander for a bit about it. Here are some examples.
- In the event last weekend in the Vlasta bog there was a floor trap / tile doing negative damage to who ever stepped on it. The same happened to some spirit summons used by my PrC. I expected the tile to have a more positive effect on them.
- I've witnessed weapons with negative energy damage bonuses dealing negative damage against undead instead of healing them.
- Highlander mentioned the Death Armour spell damaging zombies when they strike the person under the affect of this spell. To Highlander: please correct me if I am wrong here.

It has to be said that spells such as negative energy ray still have a positive effect on undead creatures.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Hagra
Builder

Re: Negative energy damaging undead

Postby Hagra » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:49 pm

Only Undead are healed by negative energy, so I gather the summoned spirits race are not classified as Undead.

Undead with the race Undead will receive healing from a negative-based spell. I'm not sure if that also accounts for weapons with the damage bonus.

Death Armor does not dish out negative damage, but rather, magical damage.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Death armour has been changed here to do negative damage, as per its description and wiki entry. It was also showing as negative damage in the combat log.
Lori Peveril: Enchanter
Auri: Mountian Druid
Riva Merys: Mystran Priest
Theli Ironfist: Dwarf Monk
Reyne Kendrick: Sneak

Danuvis

Postby Danuvis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm

I believe negative damage (rather than healing) on a weapon hit against undead is hardcoded and thus unlikely to change.

Khaela Mensha Khaine

Postby Khaela Mensha Khaine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Danuvis wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm
I believe negative damage (rather than healing) on a weapon hit against undead is hardcoded and thus unlikely to change.
Same seemingly applies to traps. I can confirm that both the summons and the undead you've been fighting have the Undead race. It appears that negative energy in any other form than spells affects the undead as it would any other creature and, as Danuvis said, is seemingly hardcoded to be like that.

Edit: Going to look into whether or not it's feasible to make sure all the undead spawns in the game can at least get 100% damage immunity to negative energy.

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks for that, Khaine. And indeed, I can assure everyone that the Spirit Caller summons are classified as undead.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer