Brew Potion - Cure Serious Wounds

For reporting various bugs found in the module.
Poisonous

Brew Potion - Cure Serious Wounds

Postby Poisonous » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:03 am

I've gotten different results when brewing two different level 3 potions.

A level 3 Eagle's Splendor cost around 288 I think, and took a Refined crystal. It is indicated as (12).
A level 3 heal cost 360 and is indicated as (10).
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Re: Brew Potion - Cure Serious Wounds

Postby Loreweaver » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:12 am

When you brew a potion, the costs are 12 x Innate Spell Level x Caster Level. Unlike what you'd expect, this Caster Level is a fixed value in standard NWN which does not depend upon the actual level of the caster. For TER, we've made three variants of each spell, giving them three different caster levels.

Eagle's Splendour is a spell with an innate level of 2, which comes in caster level 4, 8 and 12 variants. The one you created would have a 12 x 24 cp price, and does.
Cure Serious Wounds is a spell with an innate level of 3, which comes in caster level 6, 10 and 14 variants. The one you created would have a 12 x 30 cp price, and does.

Ideally, you'd have 40 or 20 or 12 at least versions of each spell so they can perfectly match the creator's abilities, and this should technically be possible. Casters might also like to be able to create potions below their level of ability, for instance, to decrease the costs of cantrip potions which are unaffected by caster level when it comes to effect and duration.

Instead, what happens is that all spells start in the lowest Caster Level category. Level 0-2 spells move up one category at caster level 4 and again at caster level 7, whilst level 3+ spells move up one category at level 8. This means that your level 2 spell has a higher caster level than your level 3 spell.

The consumption of a refined transmutation crystal for Eagle's Splendour could be a bug, however. It should look for a regular one instead.

Poisonous

Re: Brew Potion - Cure Serious Wounds

Postby Poisonous » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:30 am

I may have just misremembered what crystal was used, I'll see if I have a chance to re-check it.

Thank you for the explanation!
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...