Distances in Impiltur

For things relating to the setting which doesn't fit in development, bugs or feedback.
Silver Snow

Distances in Impiltur

Postby Silver Snow » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:17 pm

While as a rule of thumb this tends to be easily set aside in favor of convenience, the distances between Sarshel and even Outentown, not to mention further areas like Vlasta and Thelnam, are pretty large. Some of them are enumerated in game, like the markets to Songhall along the major roads, but a few others are not. What I would be curious to know is the best estimates of travel times between Sarshel and a few of the major destinations, for the sake of more informed roleplay.
How long, for instance, would it take to get to Thelnam assuming a horse or carriage? Vlasta? Songhall? And what of places not expressly in game, such as the Hall of Loyalty or Imwatch?

If this isn't the right place to put this I'm happy to move it!

Kerstman

Re: Distances in Impiltur

Postby Kerstman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:09 pm

It could also be put in RP suggestions, but it isn't in a wrong place here.

I think the Outentown-Vlasta route would take a normal person up to a week, if not longer, and probably longer in winter season.

However, this is a game. Where realism / believability is great and something we want, fun and practical use of things should not be ignored. It's similar when referring to date and time. What I do when my characters walk a long distance is that they don't speak much about it so I avoid saying things like they are walking for weeks or they walked from Sarshel to Vlasta yesterday (which would be impossible). Generally when referring to something that was done in the recent past my chars refer to 'the other day'. Keeping it vague. While walking a long way my PC's do not refer to time in general. Sure they converse with companions, but it might as well happen when they are just set up their second base camp. Time bubbling some will call it.

As for wilderness or road areas. I think it is safe to assume that going through a transit means you cover a distance of 5-10 miles. It can depend. My suggestion would be: rp your distance and time casually in a believable manner and do not overdo it.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:17 pm

Kerstman wrote: As for wilderness or road areas. I think it is safe to assume that going through a transit means you cover a distance of 5-10 miles. It can depend. My suggestion would be: rp your distance and time casually in a believable manner and do not overdo it.
I was guessing about as much. My question was to try and judge something a bit more specific, so that I could make a reasonable estimate on travel for a character. The distance for her to come from is a little bounded, which is why I'm asking! Either way, I just wanted to be sure I didn't make any unreasonable claims, but I think I'm able to work around it. I also tend to take the same approach of mentioning little about times and distances.

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:28 pm

Distances are meant to be convenient to one's playtime availability. It helps to keep things in game vague, however in offline RP and in background posts it's worth the effort and flavour to accentuate that some trips take long, I agree.

For the question you had in mind specifically, gauging the "RP distance" between Outentown-Vlasta and then Outentown-your destination should be made easier with the following map:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1088

A day seems too short for what you had in mind in this instance, but if you're short on characters, playtime and opportunities, I'm sure the team and community thinks no less of it whether it was a "week" or two days ago that a particular PC has been seen. As long as you gently remark the absence in Tells or emotes to those that are interested or for whom it is actually relevant, all is well.

We've all used distances and travel times to our advantage, and even long waiting times have a use. When my PC Artemis travels to Raven's Bluff it's usually two weeks there and back - which is why I resort to such a trip when I'm not playing her for longer, or not playing at all.

~ Copper
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)