how to connect?

For things relating to the setting which doesn't fit in development, bugs or feedback.
Feronius

Re: how to connect?

Postby Feronius » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:18 pm

I think once you have correctly installed NWNCX, the loader simply ends up within your main Neverwinter Nights folder. The same place where the regular nwnmain.exe file is also located. If I am not mistaken, NWNCX Loader.exe is also literally the name of the loader.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Postby Loreweaver » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:17 pm

I'm sorry to hear you're running into problems. There are a few steps in the process where things might go awry, and I hope the following guide will help you join the game.

First of all, make sure you've got the files listed here: CEP 2.4 and the hak and tlk files from the dropbox. The files NPC soundset.rar, override.7z, TER_music.7z and TER_music_2.7z are optional in most cases.
The other .7z and .rar files should be unpacked. Anything ending in .hak goes into your NWN/hak/ folder, the .tlk file goes into your NWN/tlk/ folder. Using an empty NWN/override/ folder should help avoid issues.
I believe you've already passed this stage, but it's included for clarity.

Assuming you're using Windows or your OS will otherwise recongize .dll files, NWNCX.dll, nwncx_connect.dll and NWNCX_Loader.exe (and the nwncx_instructions.txt file if you wish) go into your NWN/ folder. When you wish to create a character, you run NWNCX_Loader.exe. This starts NWN so that you can connect to the server (using draugr.tomb.org.uk as the direct connect IP address). It will take a little longer for the character selection screen to load because NWNCX pre-loads the different .hak and .tlk files so you can use their content when you make a new PC. This should lead to a valid character.

If your OS does not support NWNCX (or possibly if you have a modified nwmain.exe file, or if the loader does not solve your 'disallowed gold' problem), instead unpack the override.7z file to your NWN/override/ folder and launch the game as normal. When you create a character, you'll see a bunch of random lines in place of certain class, feat, skill or spell names. While you should be able to create a valid character this way, it's a bit of a guessing game as to which options you're selecting (the icons might help). However, if you log in with any character, then log out and back in without closing NWN, you should be able to create a second PC with proper descriptions in place.

You won't need to use the NWNCX launcher or override files in order to play an existing character, it's purely meant to help create a legal PC. In some cases you might be able to make a character and log in only for the game to tell you it's still invalid, in that case a DM can have a closer look at your PC to determine and fix the issue.

If you are still having troublesome error messages when trying to create a character, I would ask you try a few different classes or (if you use them) make sure you have the default 'package' of skills and feats selected. It may be an issue specific to one class, and this would help us resolve it. Please keep us up to date on your success.

ljuslek

Postby ljuslek » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:31 am

I've done some (very cursory) testing since I tried rolling a bard, twice. During the first character creation process I simply used the launcher and followed my intended selection of feats and skills. The former being Inspire: Courage and Skill Focus: Perform. Taking the extra precaution of using a .tlk dummy as suggested changed nothing. Proceeding to roll a test fighter, whose character creation I paid no particular mind to didn't result in an invalid character.

EDIT: Did some more 'testing' with that halfling bard build. I thought maybe the server found him illegal on account of the skill focus and the subsequently high skill, but even without it he's deemed invalid. Hope this miniature investigation is of some small help :)