A Discord Chatroom

For things relating to the setting which doesn't fit in development, bugs or feedback.
Dawnbreak

A Discord Chatroom

Postby Dawnbreak » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:16 pm

I am going to bring this up, because someone has to.

Skype is an unreliable piece of software. Its memory leaks, horrible interface, and general poor behavior over the last few years have been leaving a sour taste in my mouth, and I want to get rid of it fully at some point in time - something I cannot really do given my position.

Hence, I am here to pitch the use of an official TER Discord Chatroom. Discord is an amazing, free software. It barely uses data, allows for more personalization, more flexibility, less lag, and my personal favorite - better emoticons.

I would like to gauge the interest of the community and that of the other members of the staff in this thread.

Edit: Here is the invite link.
Last edited by Dawnbreak on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ostheim

Re: A Discord Chatroom

Postby Ostheim » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:23 pm

I agree in-so-far that Skype is a generally crappy software. Having a discord might be good, I guess, at least for ease of getting in touch.
Wynna Blackwing - Scholar of history, ruin delver, intrigue dabbler
Rannie Marrinson - Knight-Errant, Paladin of Sune
Teobald Grzywacz - Outentown peasant, ranger and adventurer

Feronius

Postby Feronius » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:45 pm

You would have my support. Discord has a bunch of advantages and additional or just better functioning features.
One good example is the fact you can properly mute a channel, including the sending of files. Which Skype fails at.

No annoying ads and ad space too. And the fact you can have multiple channels within the same group is major.
It is also a nifty feature that you can display which game you are playing, allowing you to see if anyone is in-game.
Last edited by Feronius on Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac

Danuvis

Postby Danuvis » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:03 pm

I've never had problems with Skype myself, but if most people would prefer Discord, I guess I'll come along.

Dawnbreak

Postby Dawnbreak » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:15 pm

Feronius wrote:No annoying ads and ad space.
I will be making a channel and posting it in this thread in the next few hours - it will be for those who are interested, and for testing the waters and seeing if it will gain enough traction to overtake our usage of Skype.

Danuvis

Postby Danuvis » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:55 pm

As a note to anyone who might be considering hopping along, there's plenty of people already in the Discord server, and everyone's welcome to join!

Dawnbreak

Postby Dawnbreak » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 pm

Update: We're still going strong and have about 20 members in the chatroom, for anyone still considering joining.

Ponyrealms
Official Greeter (with Jingly Bells)

Postby Ponyrealms » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:27 am

A friendly bump for anyone that has missed this thread, most of the community members are most easily reached through discord.
Here's another invite https://discord.gg/dq4REY