Wizarding 101

For things relating to the setting which doesn't fit in development, bugs or feedback.
Poisonous

Re: Wizarding frustrations

Postby Poisonous » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:06 pm

blueluminaire wrote:
Weakness for low-level mages is pretty standard in D&D. Mages are generally supposed to be weaker in the beginning to compensate for a massive boost in versatility and diversity of function later on when compared to melee classes. That being said, TER's level range never really reaches the point where that becomes fully seen, so that should be taken into account.
Someone else can probably answer this better than I, but as I've said I'm fairly certain that level 8 mages on TER are balanced to be quite powerful.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

EppyAl

Postby EppyAl » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:38 pm

Well for the sake of helping with the Rp portion of finding munitions... among the adventurer circle there is a lass who has issues speaking common that has been known tobhave WAY to much ammunition and typically hands it out freely if asked!

Summon lvl2 is a game changer with critters that Have DR. I agree that an evoker will run short on functionality early on but a caster who can offer a bulls str, magic weapon, and other buffs when a team is needed is so very valuable. Running with Gwen in an area that was meant to be a high challange became a walk in the park due to her buffs.

Wands are craftable. Just have to find the proper material to makr it. Allie has made a couple in thr past just to see how much they sold for.

Another spell that would make you very popular is Identify. A large portion of the server has low ID skills and havr to rely on paying the 75 copper to ID a fancy item.

Animating a bow or crossbow is always fun

I hate to say it...Stick it out, it does get better.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:25 pm

I guess there's a difference in approach we're not going to agree on, but if any of my PC's had a pile of items that were useless to them but they knew were useable by others, I would take the initiative in making sure they ended up with someone that could use them, whether thats trap or arcane components.

I'd forgotten about the animating of bows - something else for Nal to try!
Lori Peveril: Enchanter
Auri: Mountian Druid
Riva Merys: Mystran Priest
Theli Ironfist: Dwarf Monk
Reyne Kendrick: Sneak

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:19 pm

As for animating I'd recommend simple weapons or whatever your wizard is proficient in. Since if you are not proficient in wielding a weapon yourself then the animated weapon will suffer from the same ab penalty as when your PC would use it.

For the simple weapons spears for melee and crossbows for ranged are solid choices.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Vogelens

Postby Vogelens » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Wizards are not proficient in spears though, that is just sorcerers.

I found Darts to be a good option to animate too, as they last a bit longer than crossbows I think, even if they deal less damage. For melee, a dagger as a small weapon, or a club/Quarterstaff for the bigger ones are good choices for wizards, too.
Active:
Kara Farrowwood ~ Druidess of Silvanus

Hagra
Builder

Postby Hagra » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:03 pm

There are other means to be helpful to a group as a Wizard or Sorcerer than just spell use. Having points in some form of knowledge skills is a good way to add flavour to the party by making rolls on Dungeoneering and Architecture while in a dungeon. Sharing insight from years of reading does add to the RP.

Animate Weapon and Animate Hinge are useful spells. The former offers a way to skirt across a corridor that has a trap no one in the group is able to disable, as well as offers a means to draw the attention of the enemy away from party members. The latter is useful in situations where the party has organized their attack positions and from a distance, you can open the door without having a party member running back and becoming a pin cushion.

As mentioned, don't get into a shooting match with the enemy. It is best to draw your focus on what enemies are being attacked by the frontline.

Take it slow and be careful. In no time you will be blamed for summoning daemons, breaking the hearts of women and have power that will only increase the legend of your name!

Brindisium

Wizarding 101

Postby Brindisium » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Thank you all, once more. In honour of everyone's contribution I have retitled the thread Wizarding 101. I'm intending to consolidate the advice into a short post for others who may also wish to break hearts, summon daemons and increase the legend of their own names - if I stay alive long enough to play test it ;)

I hope some of the tips are of use to other players, they certainly have been to me.
Cheese for your crackers here!

Highlander

Re: Wizarding 101

Postby Highlander » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:45 pm

One thing not mentioned is the wizardy prestige classes; I briefly tried out the High Mage in beta, and it looks a nice PrC. The High Mage spell combinations will suffer from a lower DC than a spell focussed wizard will have, but for some this doesn't matter, as they are either self affecting, or no save. The polymorph self is random, btw..but if you can live with those limitations, you have a route to some nice higher level spells that may not otherwise be available. I would strongly recommend anyone going down the High Mage route to take either still or silent spell - the class works by combining spells to make other ones, and you can combine normal and metamagiced versions of the same spell, so having that option gives you the maximum flexibility in spell selection.
Lori Peveril: Enchanter
Auri: Mountian Druid
Riva Merys: Mystran Priest
Theli Ironfist: Dwarf Monk
Reyne Kendrick: Sneak

Sten

Postby Sten » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:19 pm

Highlander wrote:One thing not mentioned is the wizardy prestige classes; I briefly tried out the High Mage in beta, and it looks a nice PrC. The High Mage spell combinations will suffer from a lower DC than a spell focussed wizard will have, but for some this doesn't matter, as they are either self affecting, or no save. The polymorph self is random, btw..but if you can live with those limitations, you have a route to some nice higher level spells that may not otherwise be available. I would strongly recommend anyone going down the High Mage route to take either still or silent spell - the class works by combining spells to make other ones, and you can combine normal and metamagiced versions of the same spell, so having that option gives you the maximum flexibility in spell selection.
Speaking of the High Mage, currently I am completely lost on how the conversions work. I plan on going it with Aldwin, so it is a tad problematic for me personally. Let us look at the example with Animate Hinge and Scare, as quoted below from the Wiki.
Animate Hinge: See Scare
2x Scare: Fear (4) with 2x Animate Hinge
Source: http://easting.wikia.com/wiki/High_Mage

I really don't understand what this does. Does combining to Scare spells give me Fear(4) and 2x Animate hinge? And what does the Animate hinge part then mean?

Vogelens

Postby Vogelens » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 pm

How I read it is that you need to have 2 scare spells and 2 animate hing spells prepared. it will consume all 4 of the spells, to create one fear spell.

The
with 2x Animate Hinge
part is that it requires those as well, along with the 2 scare spells.
Active:
Kara Farrowwood ~ Druidess of Silvanus