Ideal Party Size

For things relating to the setting which doesn't fit in development, bugs or feedback.
Poisonous

Ideal Party Size

Postby Poisonous » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:47 am

Greetings, TERians!

I'd like to offer some advice, or possibly open a discussion, about party sizes.

It hasn't escaped the notice of the older, established players here and the staff that many of the new players tend towards very large parties (8-9). Generally, we'd advise much smaller parties, more in the realm of 3-5 PCs. There are a number of reasons for this:

1. The server's dungeons are largely designed for this number. Larger parties can result in significant increases in difficulty, or the loot not scaling (so less loot for everyone).
2. Smaller parties allow more RP, and prevent RP from being drowned out.
3. Smaller groups of people in an area cause less lag.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Highlander

Re: Ideal Party Size

Postby Highlander » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:06 pm

Agreed, in general and my own preference is for parties of less than six. The large party has been a feature of the server since its launch, as often as not before the current numbers, the whole server population would be about 7-9 and would all party up together, so in my experience at least it's not a new phenomenon, and then, as now, is partly a testament to the players here that so many are happy to hang together. There's a different dynamic now (which is great) but it's good to see the potential for 4 groups of recommended size all out doing different things, it just needs a bit of IC and OOC thought to make that happen.
Lori Peveril: Enchanter
Auri: Mountian Druid
Riva Merys: Mystran Priest
Theli Ironfist: Dwarf Monk
Reyne Kendrick: Sneak

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:12 pm

Yep, agreed as well. And it's really easy, especially if you're leading, to just keep taking on interested people because you feel bad turning anyone away. I know I've been guilty of that when I planned trips places, so I'll be trying to split those groups. In those cases, I'd say to not be afraid of talking ooc to figure out the best solution as much as IC. A lot of ooc factors do come into it, like level/scaling of the groups, people getting xp in some places and none in others due to the dungeon cooldown, etc.

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:25 pm

I agree with all of the above but it can be complicated at times and a successful split up of a large group requires OOC and IC consideration for all participants. Some PC's and players absolutely want to travel with player or PC X and Y. Those may ask themselves : 'Do I -really- -need- to travel with him/her -now-?' Probably the answer is no to at least one of those three aspects. Be honest to yourself and to your companions. Yes, not going with the group who has a stronger fighter or a rogue who can handle traps may not be ideal. But in the end you may well manage at the cost of downing a few more potions. If in the end it means that it is more fun for everyone I would say that is worth it.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer