Respawn - Respawning when not in a party

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Feronius

Respawn - Respawning when not in a party

Postby Feronius » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:22 pm

At -10 HP, a character loses consciousness. There are three ways to bring them back.
The first is pressing the Respawn button. A level 1 PC with free respawns may regain consciousness and mobility after a short wait. If they're not in a party, they respawn in Outentown and can immediately rest there, as if they had been found unconscious, rescued and cared for. Other characters can only respawn if there's an ally closeby who is not engaged in combat, and only if their Respawn ability is not on cooldown. Respawning, despite the name, should be considered little more than coming around after being beaten senseless.
My suggestion is to simply expand this (in my opinion) amazing concept/ mechanic to every level.

Allow players to use up their Respawn when they die, even while not in a party, teleporting them back to town.
Of course after level 1 this would no longer be a free Respawn, the usual rules still apply. Plus a guaranteed stat loss.
  • Using a Respawn when not in a party will still put the Respawn on cooldown
  • Using a Respawn when not in a party will result in a 100% chance at stat loss
  • If the character's Respawn is not available/ still on cooldown, the character dies
Does this not make it easier or more viable for players to solo dungeons?
Heck no. Soloing is still just as ill-advised, this actually increases the cost of dying by yourself.
(Recovering lost stats is a lot more expensive than it is to bring a character back to life.)

Would this stop a (new) player whose character is dead from being stuck and giving up on their character or from quitting the server?
I think it just might. And for that reason alone I would say it is something worth considering.

Thoughts?*
*Please refrain from discussing any other death-related features or mechanics, to keep this thread from going off-topic.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac

EventHorizon

Re: Respawn - Respawning when not in a party

Postby EventHorizon » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Before I develop more thought on this, I want to point out that my PC spent very little time at level 1, and will probably spend very much time at level 2, not much more survivable or powerful than before. I do agree with the notion of giving level 1 PCs some grace to suffer their inevitable mistakes, but I wonder if we are creating a sense of discontinuity between level 1 and 2 the more we shift the death-mercy onto only the 1st level PCs.
Play with SCAPE! Stock Character/Art Portrait Expansion Project (SCAPE)
Easy TER Play-time Scheduler! - See the thread and note your updates here.
Elijah Haller - Fuum - Havon - Ash'ma

ljuslek

Postby ljuslek » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:55 pm

Seeing the grace period extended to level two would be nice, I think. Allowing it to extend over the entire level range however feels like a stretch. Imagining an NPC finding an adventurer clinging to life in or near a low level dungeon makes sense, but imagining the same for more dangerous and inaccessible areas where higher level characters would surely venture does not.

Allowing out of party respawns for higher level characters might not encourage soloing or make it easier to to so; but it would significantly lessen the ambiance of uncertainty and risk of 'real death' that, at least for me, springs up every time I bring my character into dungeons alone.

Feronius

Postby Feronius » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:32 pm

I will leave it up to the discretion of the team whether a feature like this should apply to characters of every level or only until level 2.
To clarify, your character only gets 1 chance to respawn every 32 days at level 8, whether they die with or without a party present.

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Postby Loreweaver » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:48 pm

The respawn ability was added as a way to avoid pointless deaths. You don't want to have to use it because it still carries a risk of stat loss, but it doesn't have the monetary or XP gain penalties associated with a Revive spell and it doesn't force an end to a dungeon run as the party tries to get your carcass back to a priest. It's not available when soloing because this is a multiplayer server and we should encourage teaming up whenever possible. It's also not available when the entire party is killed or driven off, because that implies a dramatically significant death. Lastly, it's not available if you cheated death once already and continue to press your luck (or literally tried to cheat it through relogging).

As a level 1, you can use a number of respawns which have no time-based or party-based restraints. This is meant as a tool to help new players get their bearings with greatly reduced chances of losing a character or an attribute point, though both remain possible. At 1000 xp, after roughly 4-5 real dungeons or their equivalent, players are considered to have had enough exposure to their new PC and the server to have an idea of what they're working with and are held to the same rules as all others.

A common complaint is that high levels are on cooldown for a very long time. One near-miss and a level 8 can't respawn for a month. The reason for this is that the respawn system isn't really meant for them. Although they fight more difficult enemies, they also have more options in combat, more coin for supplies and a larger buffer enabling them to realize they're in a bad fight and disengage before running out of HP. If they do die, they can afford to be Revived and stat losses are more easily dealt with. Because they're expected to need respawns less often and to be better able to cope with death penalties, high level PCs shouldn't feel like they need to have their respawn ability available in order to go out and adventure.
Low level PCs, in contrast, only need a few bad rolls to die. The respawn system plays a vital part in pretending they haven't been returned from the dead many times over. They still need some cooldown however, lest they lack the ability to die entirely.

The first suggestion in this thread, respawning but with guaranteed stat loss, sounds sympathetical but is aimed at the wrong target, being the higher level PCs. Having this extra safety while soloing will see more of them on respawn cooldown and so perhaps unavailable for groups later on, it also means that those who have the coin and intention to get stats fixed anyway effectively respawn for free, whereas low level PCs with stat loss are more often abandoned and replaced with a new character. We're not sure what sort of penalty could be applied instead to make this work - though we can think of some, none are pretty.

One thing we can consider for high level PCs is the purchase of some kind of priestly blessing or regenerative salve which they can purchase and apply when resting to gain a couple hours of protection - the ability to respawn once if they do die in that period regardless of their cooldown-, as a form of insurance. Whether that should include solo deaths is a separate matter.

The second suggestion is extending the grace period to level 2. While PCs have to be weaned off the ability to respawn without conditions sooner or later, and preferably sooner, it is a fact that most dead PCs are level 2 PCs. Some don't have friends to revive them, others' friends are too poor, and by extending the unconditional respawn ability a bit further perhaps some of these deaths could have been prevented. It's something we're taking under consideration.

Feronius

Postby Feronius » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:05 pm

The original suggestion was made mainly with the level 2-4 range of characters in mind. Those who still have little money, few character connections and are most likely/ most at risk of dying solo when taking a wrong turn or risk. But anyway, I do see what you mean.

I think the cost of Raise Dead is currently a bigger issue for low levels. But that is probably something for a new suggestion thread.