Player list

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Poisonous

Re: Player list

Postby Poisonous » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:39 am

If there was a way to only hide orcs that would be fair I think.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:48 am

Good points are raised. Personally I'd like hiding both the levels and the classes. You'll learn IG anyway which character uses which kind of combat style and how experienced they are.

On the other hand, hiding classes in this menu may stop some spoilers, but not all. You may learn in different OOC manners which character is a daemonbinder or a harper scout and in the end it is up to the player to use or not use that knowledge in their PC's rp.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

booksarefun666

Postby booksarefun666 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:42 am

Kerstman wrote:Good points are raised. Personally I'd like hiding both the levels and the classes. You'll learn IG anyway which character uses which kind of combat style and how experienced they are.

On the other hand, hiding classes in this menu may stop some spoilers, but not all. You may learn in different OOC manners which character is a daemonbinder or a harper scout and in the end it is up to the player to use or not use that knowledge in their PC's rp.
I don't think you could completely block out the OOC information because experience alone will get you acquainted with these things, but that typically implies contact beforehand before you saw the death attacks or other tells of sinister classes... Well, barring total IRL mind wipe after every character closure and nobody likes involving mindflayers in these things.

I'm not sure how much effort it would take to block out classes and levels, but if it is a quick and easy fix then it be a nice touch -- and new people notice these little things as well, I see it all the time OOC chatrooms the player list is typically the second or third thing mentioned.

I don't think we should ever policy ourselves around "that guy" but I think some people might agree that ignorance is bliss when it comes to these kinds of thing. Simply enabling the route to be surprised that the milkmaid was really, really naughty or something like that.

And if you don't care about being ignorant and simply want to get to the brass tacks of mechanics for the sake of dungeoning you can always ask that guy yourself OOCly what's his level, class, etc.

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:09 am

Which requires more time on my part then not looking at the list on yours :).

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:37 am

Poisonous wrote:If there was a way to only hide orcs that would be fair I think.

*prcs, not orcs

Frigging autocorrect
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Danuvis

Postby Danuvis » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:04 am

We all know you're just a racist, Poisonous!

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:36 am

Aren't we all? Who doesn't want to exterminate Sembians?

Feronius

Postby Feronius » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Vogelens wrote:Ultimately, those who want it hidden can simply... not look at it, without forcing their way on the other group, though this is not the case the other way around.
This is true, but only for the suggestion of hiding the player list completely. Most seem to want to hide just the classes.

If I do not want to know the classes, but would still like to know who is online, I must look at the playerlist. Sadly I do not possess elven eyes with enough focus to read only the names without noticing the classes listed right below them.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac

Ponyrealms
Official Greeter (with Jingly Bells)

Postby Ponyrealms » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:12 pm

I think the TER community is made up of mature enough RPers that we can allow something like this to exist without incidents, for example I don't think I've seen anyone PvP mongering and trying to pick fights, even IC, with low level characters without a RP reason such as the "it's a fight I could win". Even then the way TER is made up, generally speaking PvP rules don't allow for just any type of PvP.
And then you have the myriads of conditionals in this server that won't allow such characters or players with that mindset to make much mayhem, you know, like permanent death...

As far as the unintentional metagaming, while it would aid in producing a more immersible experience, think of it this way, TER dungeons scale by level, if you end up going out on an adventure as a level 2 with another character that is a level 7, the experience will be very poor for the level 7 character who couldn't tell you were well below him in levels. You could technically fix this by asking through tells before starting an adventure.
But then that sort of defeats the purpose of removing the player list and then you circle back to having to send tells to other players which going off from another thread that transpired in these forums, a lot of players don't like doing that because they feel it's awkward. :(

Feronius

Postby Feronius » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Would you not end up asking regardless? Not many people have everyone's level memorized from the player list.
Unless they have specifically checked or asked before, of course.

Fortunately level seldom appears to be an issue on this server. Since there are only 8 levels with a maximum level difference of 7, it only becomes an issue for extremely small parties with extreme level differences.
As long as you have a tank that isn't a much lower level than the other party members, you are almost always set and good to go.
Some of the low level dungeons are an exception, as they only scale up to a certain point. But they are very few and high levels honestly should not be visiting those dungeons anymore anyway. The real problem has been a shortage of high level tanks.

I fully trust the maturity of the playerbase, but subconcious metagaming is just inevitable with a playerlist in place.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac