Player list

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
booksarefun666

Player list

Postby booksarefun666 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:44 pm

This is what I refer to as the "Player list".
Spoiler:
Personally I think that gives a bit too much OOC information in a role-playing server. Some servers just hide the classes underneath the names, other servers outright hide the whole thing so people at least have to log on to see if their friends are online.

I'm in favor of either or, but I think the default way could cause some problem; after all, it's a bit harder to hide the fact that you're a Daemonbinder or a Harper Scout if everyone already knows that big secret, right?

What do you guys think?

Feronius

Re: Player list

Postby Feronius » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:37 pm

I prefer having a player list visible, but I am in favour of hiding the classes underneath the names if possible.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac

WingsOfStardust

Postby WingsOfStardust » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:44 pm

I agree with hiding classes.

Khaela Mensha Khaine

Postby Khaela Mensha Khaine » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:45 pm

In favour of this, too, though if I'm being totally honest I don't find it difficult not to metagame.

At the same time, I do kind of hate spoilers where possible.

Hagra
Builder

Postby Hagra » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:53 pm

I agree. Rather not see the classes. When it was brought up before as something the players would like, we were told just don't click on the Player's Tab.

Anyhow, +1 for the recommendation and change from me.

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:14 pm

Don't look at it if it bothers you. On the same time, it allows me to choose which PC to get. No point in getting Jonan when there are 3 fighters, but no thief around. I hate that R word, never could get which one is French for red and which is English for sociopath element of society. In above example I would get my thief. And, given that I don't know which of the new PCs are what class... It saves the time for me. I don't have to log, see who is in party, what class he is and relog with different PC.

Dawnbreak

Postby Dawnbreak » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 am

I support this. I've voiced this suggestion before (in private, granted) and I really think there is naught to be lost but minor inconveniences such as the above comment. In the end it contributes more than it takes away.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Vogelens

Postby Vogelens » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:26 am

The player list visible has both advantages and disadvantages when it comes to RP. It is not neccesarily a bad thing, and can even aid RP. The player list hidden likewise has both advantages and disadvantages.

Ultimately, those who want it hidden can simply... not look at it, without forcing their way on the other group, though this is not the case the other way around. So personally, I would go with less work for the staff (so there is more time to work on other things) without losing anything either, rather than invest work in losing something that leaves an amount of people unhappy, too.

You do not -have- to look at the player list if you prefer not to use it, so why take it away from those who actually use a player list to the advantage and to make the RP experience a better one?
Active:
Kara Farrowwood ~ Druidess of Silvanus

booksarefun666

Postby booksarefun666 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:52 am

I advocate taking it away because I feel it would add more than it would take away, even if it's a minor thing. I've seen what it does on other servers and when you have nothing to go off of but a character's previous in-game exploits, you think of that person based on their actual actions as opposed to "Oh well, he's level four... So maybe I can take him on." as opposed to "Wow, this guy is really dangerous" when in reality he's a level 4 civilian.

Granted, I like what I've seen of the community and I doubt that's a problem but I personally take the stance of less OOC data meddling in role-play, the better even for the most straight-laced person roleplaying out there.

But I made this thread to see the general perception because I doubt I was alone and a discussion might have been worth it.
Vogelens wrote:The player list visible has both advantages and disadvantages when it comes to RP. It is not neccesarily a bad thing, and can even aid RP.
I am curious though how you think it aids in role-play? I think you're considering something I haven't.

Danuvis

Postby Danuvis » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:21 am

I would rather not have any OOC surprises and instead find out things like scorned classes in-game rather than by looking at the server list. I do like to see who's online, so I'm in favour of simply hiding the classes.