Player list

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
blatob
Builder

Re: Player list

Postby blatob » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:10 pm

Feronius wrote: I fully trust the maturity of the playerbase, but subconcious metagaming is just inevitable with a playerlist in place.

Well, saying that also means that subconscious metagaming is always present, list or no list. If you hide the list, it is not going to change that fact. We all do it, more or less, depending on the situation, and it's not an issue.

Ember Moon

Postby Ember Moon » Thu May 04, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm just going to necrobump this thread because I believe it relevant. Reading all of the points, I find myself in incredible disagreement with the arguments for keeping it. There are so, so many concepts that would simply suffer from the lack of surprise, from the lack of impact. Necromancers, assassins, obscure multi-classes that want to remain hidden. We are here to roleplay and interact in a shared narrative, are we not? Why is something that is entirely counter to roleplay still in effect?

Danuvis

Postby Danuvis » Thu May 04, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm inclined to concur with Ember Moon. One of the main reasons I've not yet (properly and fully) delved into Evil RP or even bothered with dark characters is because the element of surprise would be inevitably ruined due to the server list. I'm definitely in favour of having classes/levels hidden.

Ostheim

Postby Ostheim » Thu May 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Just hide classes.
Wynna Blackwing - Scholar of history, ruin delver, intrigue dabbler
Rannie Marrinson - Knight-Errant, Paladin of Sune
Teobald Grzywacz - Outentown peasant, ranger and adventurer

Ember Moon

Postby Ember Moon » Thu May 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Ostheim wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 4:43 pm
Just hide classes.
Unfortunately, I believe it only allows to either hide both or do neither.
Spoiler:
[FIXES]
hide_charlist_levels = 1
I believe this is the setting in nwnx2.ini, and has no other parallel. While it says levels, it means both levels and classes (in my experience).

Ostheim

Postby Ostheim » Thu May 04, 2017 5:08 pm

I want to say I've seen servers where just classes are hidden, but I could be mistaking that for something else.
Wynna Blackwing - Scholar of history, ruin delver, intrigue dabbler
Rannie Marrinson - Knight-Errant, Paladin of Sune
Teobald Grzywacz - Outentown peasant, ranger and adventurer

Danuvis

Postby Danuvis » Thu May 04, 2017 5:23 pm

I would go for classes in that case.

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Fri May 05, 2017 2:25 am

Personally I would prefer obscuring classes, too--that has more potential to "screw someone over" if they're playing a class they aren't openly RPing, such as blackguard. Perhaps it's part of the reason we haven't had any evil classes.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Kilaana
Administrator, Builder, DM

Postby Kilaana » Fri May 05, 2017 8:53 am

This feature is also a wish of mine, but the reason why you aren't seeing anything of it is because the coding required for it is complicated with the way the server runs on our system. It's not a simple thing you just slap on the front page. The suggestion/feedback is definitely appreciated though.
“Violence is the mark of the amateur.” ― Garrett, Thief: The Dark Project

Kallian | Delorwyn Lle'quellas | Wilhemina Alencar | Zalika Maszim Zartusht
Cedric Lesàre

Khaela Mensha Khaine

Postby Khaela Mensha Khaine » Fri May 05, 2017 10:34 am

Poisonous wrote:Perhaps it's part of the reason we haven't had any evil classes.
I'd say that's more because knowledge of Evil-aligned characters actions often gets metagamed and the server doesn't cater to them on the whole unless it's the Machiavellian kind of evil. Unfortunately, Forgotten Realms particularly breeds the mindset of Good vs. Evil in a straightforward, old-school, black-and-white way. The expectation is that the Good Guys beat the Bad Guys and everyone hugs it out at the end.
Not knowing their classes isn't going to change that, though it says much if simply seeing a class OOCly can change the way people react ICly, or that people feel it likely enough for that to happen to be dissuaded from rolling an Evil PC.

As I said earlier, I don't particularly find it difficult not to metagame that information, but I'm in favour of this change because it does eliminate the possibility of those who can't put such knowledge to one side. Levels, too.

In the absence of such a feature, it might just be worth bearing in mind for those - at least - who read this thread what is IC information and what is OOC information and whether or not you're actually roleplaying Sherlock Holmes.