Re-work paladins at higher levels.

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Toros

Re: Re-work paladins at higher levels.

Postby Toros » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:09 pm

From my experience and theorycrafting, I do not believe that paladin at high level are mechanically behind other classes. There are two fairly clear optimizations for a pure paladin.

1) AC stacking (imp expertise, divine shield) - allows self buffing up to 35 AC, 37 AC vs evil.

2) Smite focused (imp power attack, great smiting, divine might) allows for 2d6 + str + 34 damage smites, 8 times per day at 9+str Ab.

Both are very powerful, and compare favorably to other classes in terms of spike power while retaining paladin save benefits, fear immunity, and all the level 1 spell slots for buffs. (We could also factor in the RP status paladin receive, though the RP handcuffs that come with that make the analysis subjective and outside the scope of this post)

The most popular options for a paladin multiclass would be fighter (usually for improved critical), sword leader (for heroic shield and rallying shout) and triadic knight (for threefold boon and an extra feat from an appealing list). Both have pros/cons for taking 3 levels, but for both builds they tend to add a net gain over pure paladin at one level for both optimizations.

Path 1) benefits minimally from paladin levels after 5, as they can get improved expertise at 6 and their primary strength is already complete (main benefit being the second level 2 slot for self-buffing eagle's)

Alternatively they could go paladin 5/triadic knight 3 and take weapon focus(1), expertise (1), improved expertise (3), power attack (6) divine shield (triadic knight bonus feat), and finally divine might or improved critical (triadic knight bonus feat 2)

Point being, that I don't think the argument can be made that pure paladin is weak compared to other classes as a basis for reworking their higher levels, as they have some very strong options. But similarly to priest, they gain a great deal from a single level dip to a three level dip into another class, which /would/ be improved with a capstone.

The hard part would be providing a capstone that is appealing enough or interesting enough to mechanically encourage them not to explore other options.

Of course, this really isn't anything that hasn't been said before, but I am going to provide some quick and dirty suggestions.

I know there are some players that really like the idea of the classic paladin benefits, but I would suggest that paladin perhaps would get a bonus feat at 6, 7, 8 that let them choose from a few options of classic abilities and spell-like abilities.

Bonus feat for 6 options:

Greater magic weapon 1/day
Summon Mount
Great smiting

Bonus feat for 7 options:

Divine Health
Magic Circle against Alignment 1/day
Extra smiting

Capstone bonus options:

Holy sword 1/day
Great Smiting 2 (requires great smiting)
Perfect health (requires divine health, 14 con)

Now, I think pretty much every person who has played a paladin or a paladin-like character would see something in that list that they would want, but I also think it would provide diversity.

A "classic" paladin might go

Summon mount
Divine health
Holy Sword

While a more offensive paladin might go

Great smiting
Extra smiting
Great smiting 2

But a tank paladin might go

Greater Magic Weapon
And then have to make some tough decisions.

Point being that I don't think it would be inventing anything new as far as coding, and promote pure classing but allow pure paladin to represent different aspects of the paladin theme.

Also, I play Galondel.