Player Effort New Player/Character Outreach

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Poisonous

Player Effort New Player/Character Outreach

Postby Poisonous » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:34 am

I may struggle to describe this idea adequately, so bear with me!

I propose that we have a few players volunteer to help shepherd new players.

It doesn't need to be an "official" thing, just a player/community effort. If there's interest from other players, though, perhaps staff would be kind enough to sticky us when/if we put up a page about it?

Specifically, we would be volunteering for the following:

1. Answer questions/help direct new players, whether on the forums or in game as PMs. This way new players have someone they know they can go to, without feeling like "my question is too small for a DM", that sort of thing. I think most if not all players here are willing to do this, but providing names to new players gives them some direction. In my experience, new players have a ton of questions but only have someone to ask once I go and approach them and let them know they can ask me!
2. Help integrate new player's PCs (or just new PCs of existing players). By this I mean, if a player wants to make a character who will have some extra help integrating into the social/adventuring fabric of the server, they can work with one of these volunteers to create a character that will inherently get some help from a volunteer's PC. For example, in my case a new player could work with me to create a local Ilmatari church member, who could then be introduced into the setting more easily and helped along by my character. Other examples are the local militia (Warswords), Lathanderites, PC mercenary groups?, Songhall PCs, etc.
3. "Ask questions thread", which is curated so that the first post becomes a FAQ. I think we already had something similar, which went out of use and wasn't curated. I'd be willing to curate something like this myself.

If there are any other ideas for how players could help new members of the community (or in #2's case, just people looking for help with a new character), I'd be glad to hear it! It could also be that this idea is totally silly and wouldn't help anyone. Any feedback appreciated.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Kerstman

Re: Player Effort New Player/Character Outreach

Postby Kerstman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:54 am

It's a great idea. Perhaps to me it is rather obvious that anyone is free to ask me questions, but maybe it's less obvious than it is in reality.

Do add my name to the list for #1. I also support #2, but I feel that all players should also explore the server on their own for a large part and take initiative. Do not stick to one or a few other PC's, but interact with all of them. Do not rely and wait on me, or on PC X or Y. Especially not when there are a few others around that you might bump into.

I'm happy to help, but my weakness is my rather erratic logging-on routine. If anyone really wishes to meet one of my chars IG it is best to have something arranged through the forums, PM or Skype / Discord. Also, there's a reason you can see the names of my PC's in my signature. It may give you an idea what chars I play and with which types of characters they can help out.

A final recommendation for the newbies: join the skype chat. Discord is also nice and fine, but in the moderated TER chat you will find a good amount of experienced players and DM's alike who will not be bothered by any TER related question.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:11 am

Kerstman wrote:I also support #2, but I feel that all players should also explore the server on their own for a large part and take initiative. Do not stick to one or a few other PC's, but interact with all of them. Do not rely and wait on me, or on PC X or Y. Especially not when there are a few others around that you might bump into.
Oh, agreed. I mean it more as a launching point for character creation. Imagine being totally new to a server and instead of starting out alone you get a head start on forming relationships with other PCs? It'd be no different than starting a PC that's a member of say, the local militia or Songhall (already been done)--just with some additional guidance and support from fellow players. Not as a "stick to X players' butts at all times and use them as your sugar daddies/mommas". :lol:
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:28 am

Good idea. My usual first tell to new players is something like: "Hello and welcome (insert smiley face pictograph here or one with semicolon due to me mashing the buttons, or one with " for the same reason, or Jolly Roger). Please, if you have some questions, don't be afraid to ask." As for inclusion into rp or adventuring, I have no issues to grab any low or mid PC I might have...

Feronius

Postby Feronius » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:46 am

The first two are kind of self-explanatory to me. In my experience it works best to just go out and roleplay, no pre-planning needed.

Having some kind of Frequently Asked Questions/ FAQ thread is a really neat idea. TER has a lot of custom content, it would be helpful.
There are of course the Discord and Skype groups that already forfill this purpose, but forum threads have a more permanent presence.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention it, yes, FAQ would be quite important aspect.

OldBear

Postby OldBear » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:27 pm

I am more than willing to try to answer questions as well. In addition, Ornak is trying to mentor Edthin a bit by providing a bit better armor and weapons then he could normally have at his level as a loan, only, until he is sufficient. Edthin being a half orc has a lot to do with this. But Ornak is also stockpiling some weapons for others as well. He currently has a quality longsword and halbard for instance.

Toros

Postby Toros » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:17 pm

I'm very much in support and happy to help however I can

Also, I play Galondel.