Meta: Suggestions Topic

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.

Poll everything?

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 10

Poisonous

Re: Meta: Suggestions Topic

Postby Poisonous » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:50 pm

Poll everything?
Not everything should be polled, but I advocate a heavier use of them
This is a good example of why polls can be misleading at worst, or just unhelpful.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Ah, so poll is to have to poll everything or just something or nothing at all?

If such is the case, I must really ask if third option "Never pole anything" can be added? If not, then current poll does not represent, perhaps, opinions on some of the forum members. That is, unless author of the poll believes that such people have no right to express their opinion in the same manner as people who think that everything should be polled and ones who believe that only some things should be polled.

Indeed, that would set them as being second grade forum members in some eyes, and I would like to avoid such thing happening. Please, in the interest of multicultural and multiracial equality of the forum, add the third option. I can also add sexual (all genders represented) equality, too. If we respect all these, then we should also respect others right not to agree with us.

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:48 pm

blatob wrote:Still, I must again ask what the above poll is for?
You would have to ask LoreWeaver. I am not the one that created it. If anything, it mocks what I intended.

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:54 pm

Ah, I was not aware of that. Still the question stands, but not aimed at you. However if we are going to use polls, then this, indeed, could be the first legitimate use of such a process. Perhaps it will usher us in the days of ochlocracy. That said, I must see where my grandpa has buried his Vz.30... Will need some lard and sugar, too... Boy, you know, during the war... *drones away*

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Postby Loreweaver » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Perhaps I didn't give this thread enough time to evolve, and should have posted the poll in a separate topic, to be entirely true to the original post. I do think the wording is in line with its suggestion to give the entire Suggestions Topic this model, although its purpose is not actually to decide anything. It's meant to illustrate some of the issues with polling and is deliberately flawed for that purpose.

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:20 pm

Ah, as a theater within a theater? Or like 8 1/2? Or any Tarantino's movies, really...

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:31 pm

Blatob while I share your opposition, I think you are veering into being disrespectful to the discussion.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Feronius

Postby Feronius » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:56 pm

When you only put "Poll everything?" as the question with an ultimatum between them, almost everyone will obviously vote no.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:08 am

Speaking personally, my vote would be no even if the poll was not about every suggestion thread.

Then you have the issue of deciding when to use polls, how to concisely state the question in a fair way, run the risk of people voting without reading the thread, etc. I feel if staff want to poll us on an issue at any point they can, but in general this suggetion brings nothing to the table but headaches.

Vogelens

Postby Vogelens » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:38 am

I would like to add, that the initial suggestion to make use of more polls is not a bad idea. Polls can have several choices and they are not suggested to be the end all of everything. They allow an overview of the general views of the playerbase, to accompany the discussion and have a better idea on where the current stance is.

How the discussion developed in this thread is... kind of sad to see, I will be honest. Now, I know this is likely not intended but intention and how matters are perceived by others do not always allign, so see this as feedback rather than criticism. It is a good thing people are involved with this and are willing to discuss it, discussion should be welcomed and the people who posted did just that, so that is good.

With that said, the back and forth posting with what seemed like a conversation without any real arguments to back it up (Maybe there were, but they were overlooked by the sheer amount of chat-posts) is one of the reasons the suggestion was made, an overview. How it was handled, and the poll as it was implemented here without elaboration, explanation or any actual options rather than the black and white Yes and No does come across as counterproductive, and this alongside the chat-posts that do not really add much comes across as mocking to the original suggestion.

A poll should have multiple options when it comes to a broad subject, as there are many variations where the suggestion can apply. It is not a yes/no question, it is more an open discussion and having the poll as it is does come across as misleading and as I mentioned, counterproductive.

I also feel opinions are formed on misconceptions about the suggestion. I feel asking for elaboration or explanation on some points would have been productive too, harsh opinions and hars No or Yes and just that does not offer much feedback, and can even be seen as an attack, especially on the internet.

Take this as feedback regarding communication rather than criticism, based on the views of someone not part of the discussion (My personal perception). Ultimately establishing a clearer form of communication and understanding with each other is something we should try to aim for. The community has been notoriously bad at this in the past I have seen. (Myself included in that too, I fell in that pitfall before too)
Active:
Kara Farrowwood ~ Druidess of Silvanus