Meta: Suggestions Topic

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.

Poll everything?

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 10

Ataraxia

Re: Meta: Suggestions Topic

Postby Ataraxia » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:05 am

Polls are a useful way to quickly gauge the popularity of an idea without having to sort through the pages of a discussion to figure out who agrees and who doesn't. I don't know if I see them being used for dictating what is included in the server and what isn't since not all popular ideas are feasible, necessary or urgent.

One way I could see polls missing the mark is if the subject of the poll is described unclearly, so that should be something to keep in mind in order to do it right.

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:06 am

Vogelens wrote:With that said, the back and forth posting with what seemed like a conversation without any real arguments to back it up (Maybe there were, but they were overlooked by the sheer amount of chat-posts) is one of the reasons the suggestion was made, an overview. How it was handled, and the poll as it was implemented here without elaboration, explanation or any actual options rather than the black and white Yes and No does come across as counterproductive, and this alongside the chat-posts that do not really add much comes across as mocking to the original suggestion.
As is often the case, I think it best to not paint the entire conversation or everyone involved--one person engaged in what you are talking about, while everyone else discussed it.

Painting everyone with the same stroke of the brush because of one or two people--that happens quite often in suggestion threads too, and it's also quite tiring.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Vogelens

Postby Vogelens » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:08 am

This was done to keep it general and not point out people or give out names though. I figure people know when they are guilty of this and when not, and in neither case any offense is tended. It is merely an observation, not an accusation.
Active:
Kara Farrowwood ~ Druidess of Silvanus

blatob
Builder

Postby blatob » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:27 am

Sorry if this came off as disrespectful, but I was genuinely pleased with LW's hermetic use of poll submissions. I can only agree that polls would have limited use, and they should be formulated with care. In above example, the answers to the question are not formulated clearly enough. Even if it was done with purpose it was, undoubtedly, to show how easily the polls can be misinterpreted. Even if you decide on setting up such procedure, you must be willing to change it if such objections rise.