Making the Dwarven Settlement a Spawn Point

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Ponyrealms
Official Greeter (with Jingly Bells)

Making the Dwarven Settlement a Spawn Point

Postby Ponyrealms » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:49 am

For dwarves.

Now we could easily claim that dwarves are the second biggest population of playable character races in the realm, behind humans, but they are seldom represented as a tangible NPC force in the game world. Of course, the server is in constant development, such is the nature of a PW. The big dwarf city in the realm that takes its name from the mountain range it lies within: Earthfast is not in game or in development as far as I know. Building such a region in the style of TER's rich area building design would probably prove to be a massive undertaking for multiple developers across many months of focused work.

It would be innocent to propose that, at best, and a bad path to take. It would probably split the population further, sections of it lost between loosely connected parts of the server.

So what I actually propose is far more feasible, smaller in scope, a revamp of some existing areas or spawns one could say. There is a dwarf town or settlement deep within the mountains, as far as I am aware it has only been graced by a score of PCs greater than one, once. It is a very interesting zone, vastly different and entrancing in its own way. That event was magical to say the least, though perhaps some of that is owed to OS's storytelling.
  • Make this dwarf settlement a starting spawn point for new dwarven characters, if they choose, through the OOC area's spawn conversation. It makes a lot more sense as an introduction to the server than new dwarf characters coming from Thesk or who knows where on a caravan, or All-Father forbid, from a ship that anchored in Sarshel.
  • Change some of the nearby areas to facilitate challenges to new dwarf characters, though in a way that would organically lead to the surface.
  • Come up with some way so they can actually leave the depths of the mountains at some point early on in their stories. Without invalidating the existing elements of peril and risk that characters face when they want to embark on the inverted journey.

Thanks for reading.

Holy_Rage

Re: Making the Dwarven Settlement a Spawn Point

Postby Holy_Rage » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:32 pm

Your proposal is a sound one and the area has been (and still is) the focus of PC actions and relevant plotting. In its current condition however, the area you proposed is not habitable... at all. However, steps are being taken ICly to create a real Dwarven hold there. If/when that happens, I believe the area can be a great focus for Dwarven PCs and RP, including serving as a starting area.

The way leading to that area isn't exactly a walk in the park either. Actually, it's the contrary. I guess that your proposal can be discussed fully once there is -something- ressembling civilisation in the area.
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Kerstman

Re: Making the Dwarven Settlement a Spawn Point

Postby Kerstman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Very much agreed, but as mentioned earlier in skype I get the impression that the two former posters are speaking of very different locations. Do not worry, I shall not provide spoilers. Assuming I understand what place Ponyrealms is speaking of I think this is an excellent suggestion and I have little more to add besides saying that gnomes could be on board for this as well. The times are very dark for the Dwarves in Impiltur and the Gnomes have been a decent ally in most of the race's history. They complement eachother and I can see them cooperating for these reasons. Besides, it is interesting for players with Gnome PC's as well.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer