Item Level Restrictions

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Obsidian Sea

Item Level Restrictions

Postby Obsidian Sea » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:13 am

I'm not sure if it was once intended for the server for items to have level restrictions, but there seems to be a kind of half-implemented limitation system at work for magical items on TER pertaining to character levels. For the most part of it, this has resulted in certain characters logging in naked after a server reset, because it seems as though the server only reads item value the first time you log in after each server reset and attributes a certain degree of experience to different magical effects. Though it is an annoyance, we have all been able to thereafter re-equip our items and get on with things.

Having not thought much on it prior, seeing as how we could all re-equip our magic items anyway, it is only now that I am finding it a rather impeding hindrance: my Sorcerer has recently acquired his first magical piece of equipment, which gives him bonus spells per day, however each time I log in with him after server reset the item is recognised as having a level value of '9'. Now, obviously Tristan Thalavar is not destined to reach level 9 on TER, but this means that every time I log in with him, I will need to re-equip and rest for that item to have significant value - as will be the case for any other spellcaster in the same position. This is likely to cost money in turn. Assuming that these magical items are likely to stick with our characters for the length of their career, the item's costliness is going to swell deceptively (and I assume unnecessarily).

Given that the item-level restriction policy of policing magical items isn't in full use on TER, is there a way that we can scrap it altogether?
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Ostheim

Re: Item Level Restrictions

Postby Ostheim » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:19 pm

Always found the item level system to be sorta weird and almost entirely not spoken of for whatever reason, so I'd happily see it dispensed with.
Wynna Blackwing - Scholar of history, ruin delver, intrigue dabbler
Rannie Marrinson - Knight-Errant, Paladin of Sune
Teobald Grzywacz - Outentown peasant, ranger and adventurer

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:48 pm

It can have merit, but a level 9 restriction is rather strange for TER. I had a PC that needed to have level 4 for a certain magical item and it worked without hiccups once he reached that point. Also I kind of appreciated he could not use the item at level 3 or lower.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Khaela Mensha Khaine

Postby Khaela Mensha Khaine » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:08 am

Only just noticed this thread, but I'll add my support to it.

I haven't experienced any of this due to terrible luck with loot and/or dungeon runs but I can guess how frustrating it can get to log in after a reset. I thought there was utterly no item level restriction whatsoever, so it was a bit of a surprise to see this here.

Item level restriction makes very little sense to me regardless, from a pragmatic point of view, so (at least if it's easy to do away with) I'd happily see it gone.