Deity Selection Device

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Deity Selection Device

Postby Loreweaver » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:53 am

Author: Shroud [ Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:17 pm ]

Hey,

Just thought maybe it would be a good idea to have a place-able in the starting area (where you enter the portal) to be able to select from a list of Deities in game? When clicking on it, it could show the domains and a brief description of each deity. Maybe show the common ones of this nation in an alternate color or something? Just a thought :)

Cheers

PS: Loving the server!

----------

Author: Sten [ Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:05 pm ]

If I am not completly wrong, all the domains and so on are mentioned on this site, and on the Wikia.

As for the most common deities in Impiltur, I believe that is also mentioned, otherwise it would simply require a short google search.

- After all, anyone who wants to play on the server has to come by the forum either way, so I see no point in throwing more info into the OOC room than highly nessecary.

EDIT: Oh, and for the whole domains thing, you also have to send in application for it to be nessecary for character creation at all.

----------

Author: Ragnar [ Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:59 pm ]

Given that perfect spelling of it (not sure if it's also case sensitive) can affect prices on a few things, I see benifit to having a selection option IG. Probably to include an "other" option, which lets you type one in yourself.

Feronius

@deity Command

Postby Feronius » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:34 pm

So I was recently informed that the name you enter in the 'Deity' field during the character creation can in some cases actually influence in-game stuff like your spell selection and the summoner themes that are available to you, which is pretty cool.

My suggestion is to, somewhere down the line, implement a feature that allows you to easily change your deity even after/ outside of the character creation menu, like you can already do with character descriptions and portraits.
Not just for those rare situations where characters may change their beliefs, lose their god's favour or swap patrons. Also for the probably much more common occurence where new players do not realise there is actually a reason to fill in this field during character creation, choose not to fill it in because they have yet to familiarize themselves with the Faerun pantheon(s) or accidentally end up filling in the name of a deity who is currently dead, missing or out of service for some other reason.
You can probably contact the DM team and get this sorted, but a command would be easier and would probably get plenty of use.

The idea is to have a simple "@deity <Insert name of patron>" command, similar to the @description or @portrait commands.
This command should probably be tied to some kind of timer, like a real life day before you can swap to a different deity again.
(Or any of the other suggestions posted in this thread to prevent potential abuse or players swapping patrons at every turn.)

Thoughts?
Last edited by Feronius on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac

Sten

Re: @deity Command

Postby Sten » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:40 pm

I am generally in favor of this, though I fear it could be exploited.

"Oh, I need to go supplies at the Ilmater place" *Changes deity to get discount*
"Oh? Suneite bathhouse visit?" *Changes deity to get discount*

- It may just be my general distroust of people, but I would still keep this in mind.

Feronius

Postby Feronius » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:42 pm

Good that you mention it. I had thought of a preventive measure against this, but forgot to include this in the original post.

Updated the original post.
This command should probably be tied to some kind of timer, like a real life day before you can swap to a different deity again.

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:45 pm

I agree with Sten, but I otherwise love the idea. In fact I'd like to see support for mentioning more than one deity.

In a DM thread I've been suggesting a @pray function, which allows players to record their character's prayers. Perhaps those could be tied together somehow.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Feronius

Postby Feronius » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Poisonous wrote:In a DM thread I've been suggesting a @pray function, which allows players to record their character's prayers. Perhaps those could be tied together somehow.
Like some kind of "@pray <Insert prayer>" command that allows a DM to view the character's most recent prayer?

Hagra
Builder

Postby Hagra » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:52 pm

Or, tie it to the OOC area, much like the chest of equipment that one can access with 0xp, and the tailors that don't charge 5cp at 0xp, and allow @diety to work freely as well. A sign in the OOC reminding players, perhaps giving a basic list in the description could help.

Another suggestion is to allow @diety to be changed once per level, but only at 0xp would it be a free selection. After reaching 2nd level, if a player changes using @diety, there is a tithe taken from them for a said amount. If they don't have it, they can't modify the field.

Feronius

Postby Feronius » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:07 pm

I really like your suggestion of it being tied to the OoC area or costing gp after 0xp, much like the tailoring models do.

Another alternative is to allow players to change their deity, but they first need to find a shrine of their new deity in-game to be able to change patrons. This would of course also come at a cost/ require them to make a donation to said god first to gain their blessing.
This would require having a shrine of every god in the game world somewhere. And there is a lot of them.
Last edited by Feronius on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdinSumar

Postby EdinSumar » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:08 pm

I support this 100%.
My profile name is my actual name.
My profile picture is my actual face.
Fite me.

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:21 pm

^ I *adore* all of the above ideas, especially the OOC area and the shrine one. The shrine one would be neat!
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...