Deity Selection Device

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Re: @deity Command

Postby Loreweaver » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:15 pm

Not exactly an @pray function, but you can now use the @note command to record any activities not covered by the @rep and @tithe commands, that is, ones which apply to your own character's actions and have no transaction component.

We're still trying to determine the best way to handle player-driven deity changes. As you may know, there are a ton of deities in FR. This makes any attempt to standardize deity names (to prevent typos and optimize deity field recognition) difficult, since you're either looking at a few hundred shrines stuffed throughout the module or a massive conversation file if players should have a selection to browse.
We can limit this somewhat by reducing them to the most common Impilturan deities, but that means there's a good chance the one you're trying to convert to is not amongst the options.
Alternatively, you might simply get an open field in which to enter your deity and receive a *deity not recognized* error if it doesn't match a database entry.

The question of how and how often you can convert to a new patron deity is a separate one which will also need answering.

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Re: Deity Selection Device

Postby Loreweaver » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:15 pm

It won't address all matters of conversion, but for a start we'll be adding a good number of holdable holy symbols to the game. Initially, they are only granted to Priests and to level 3+ Paladins (possibly, they'll be required to use the Turn Undead ability at a later date). Activating their power allows the target PC to convert to the symbol's deity through the @convert command.
If the integration goes smoothly, we will introduce a waiting time between conversions, open the symbols up to druids and monks and perhaps add symbols to the treasure tables.

Feronius

Postby Feronius » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:46 pm

That is a cool idea, but it would still rely on finding a druid, priest or paladin that worships that exact same deity in-game, which can be a pretty impossible task given the amount of deities in Faerun and relatively small number of players this server has.

Players would still end up making LETO requests to the DM team all the time, unless there is a way to convert that does not rely on there being (or even existing) another player character with the right class, the same deity and overlapping playing times.

On a side note, I have to say I am not really a fan of classes having to equip a specific item to use combat abilities like Bard Song or Turn Undead. Actions that could in theory also be achieved without said item. For Bard Song through singing or for Turning Undead by having the symbol of your deity integrated in your armour, shield or somewhere else on your attire.
Melee characters can not exactly just drop their shield mid fight, both from a character and game mechanics point of view that would be a pretty dumb move no matter how you look at it. I would like to think they would be smart enough to make sure they can reach their symbol or use their abilities without having to completely drop their guard. There is little point in them even having the abilities if they can not effectively use the ability when and how it was intended to be used.

But for commands outside of combat, like converting another player to your faith, I think it's great and would work like a charm.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac

Toros

Postby Toros » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:29 pm

Feronius wrote:That is a cool idea, but it would still rely on finding a druid, priest or paladin that worships that exact same deity in-game, which can be a pretty impossible task given the amount of deities in Faerun and relatively small number of players this server has.

Players would still end up making LETO requests to the DM team all the time, unless there is a way to convert that does not rely on there being (or even existing) another player character with the right class, the same deity and overlapping playing times.

On a side note, I have to say I am not really a fan of classes having to equip a specific item to use combat abilities like Bard Song or Turn Undead. Actions that could in theory also be achieved without said item. For Bard Song through singing or for Turning Undead by having the symbol of your deity integrated in your armour, shield or somewhere else on your attire.
Melee characters can not exactly just drop their shield mid fight, both from a character and game mechanics point of view that would be a pretty dumb move no matter how you look at it. I would like to think they would be smart enough to make sure they can reach their symbol or use their abilities without having to completely drop their guard. There is little point in them even having the abilities if they can not effectively use the ability when and how it was intended to be used.

But for commands outside of combat, like converting another player to your faith, I think it's great and would work like a charm.
Regarding the /potential/ idea to have turn undead require use of a holy symbol, I think it would cause less issue in combat than you're expecting.

Priests have the best turning by far (paladin have level-3) and typically are not in melee combat. Otherwise, the cost is only 2-3 AC for one round while in melee, the ability does not trigger AoOs.

In addition, the sort of things that are turned effectively tend to be fairly weak groups of undead.

It's not a great ability for paladin, especially those who can use turn undead to fuel divine shield or might.

I think conversion is more likely to occur to another PCs deity than anything, too.

Also, I play Galondel.

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Postby Loreweaver » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:48 pm

Toros wrote:I think conversion is more likely to occur to another PCs deity than anything, too.
Which reminds me.
jerban2.jpg
jerban2.jpg (17.98 KiB) Viewed 6653 times

Toros

Postby Toros » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:09 pm

Loreweaver wrote:
Toros wrote:I think conversion is more likely to occur to another PCs deity than anything, too.
Which reminds me.
Fixed.

Also, I play Galondel.

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:57 pm

Loreweaver wrote:It won't address all matters of conversion, but for a start we'll be adding a good number of holdable holy symbols to the game. Initially, they are only granted to Priests and to level 3+ Paladins (possibly, they'll be required to use the Turn Undead ability at a later date). Activating their power allows the target PC to convert to the symbol's deity through the @convert command.
If the integration goes smoothly, we will introduce a waiting time between conversions, open the symbols up to druids and monks and perhaps add symbols to the treasure tables.
Wonderful idea to include holy symbols into the game! I would rather not see them being obligatory to the Turn Undead feat, however. Tweaking their one arguably unique feat so as to require holdable equipment seems unnecessary, and I agree with Feronius' argument regarding such holy symbols being easily incorporated into worn objects, which has been roleplayed by the few Priest characters that I've seen either way.

In the experience I managed to garner with Priests of the Sun Domain, it is generally difficult to Turn enemies for the first 3-4 levels. It was at level 5 (with Sun Domain and Eagle's Splendour) that a consistent effect seems to have shown. While including a holy symbol into the Turning trigger doesn't direly influence this, it is still a nerf to the Priest who already has no Heavy Armour Proficiency and no Fortitude save.

I look forward to the various conversion options, though, for whoever that will be applicable.

~ Copper
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:27 pm

The one holy symbol I've been privy to so far looks delightful, and I hope to have my PC shove it in people's faces soon enough!

Thank you for the beautiful work. It's going to be great seeing the other holy symbols that got implemented.

~ Copper
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)