Variable Tier Healing Kits

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
EventHorizon

Re: Variable Tier Healing Kits

Postby EventHorizon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:02 pm

Loreweaver wrote:I would suggest that these kits can only be used outside of combat as a hard restriction, as opposed to Healing kits which allow you to continue fighting at the risk of arresting the healing process the next time you get hit. In return, the healing would be quicker.
I agree, with the qualifier that "outside of combat" particularly means "in between encounters/fights" (where this item is needed most), and the caveat (as has been mentioned and will be responded to next) of being used in combat for the purposes of stabilizing.
Instead of charging 60 cp, we could make stabilizing cheaper by making Treatment kits less user-friendly (consider added inventory weight and space, separate Heal and Stabilize abilities and so on) than conventional kits, or we could make stabilizing cheaper for part of the population by introducing the traditional DC 15 Heal check.
I rather like the latter part of this idea. You could put the cheap stabilization option (one charge) on the Treatment Kit, but give it a DC, making it susceptible to failure (particularly to unskilled healers), while the regular Healing Kit would be a surefire stabilization. To balance the inevitable repeated Treatment Kit stabilization attempts (if the first attempt fails, the healer will probably keep trying until it works), a failed attempt could heal for 1 hp so that at least they're keeping the stabilization process/attempt itself stable! :lol: Then, if people DOGPILE a downed ally with Treatment Kit stabilization attempts, then eventually even if they all suck and fail each time, they could get the person up - but they'll be spending precious rounds in combat doing so, so it's a fair trade-off.

I'm also cool with "(consider added inventory weight and space, separate Heal and Stabilize abilities and so on)." I imagine a Treatment Kit would be a 4-square Square-shaped medium item weighing some pounds (probably wouldn't go beyond 15, and my intuition would say 7-10 lbs for a 50 charge kit).

I also like your formula:
a formula like (d20 + Heal) / 3 - 3
And I like that you point out this, which helps keep the role of Healing Kits in balance:
as opposed to Healing kits which allow you to continue fighting at the risk of arresting the healing process the next time you get hit.
Also, this fact -
But considering that NWN doesn't stop to point out someone is dying or ask you want to do about it, there is much to be said for keeping the process simple and effective.
Further maintains the relevance of Healing Kits, because if you really can't be bothered to handle the Stabilize vs Heal abilities of the Treatment Kit, then you can always use the Healing Kit, which will definitely stabilize your ally immediately.

Now, on the finances, I'm not yet too familiar with TER's gold economy, and I'd have to think further about how exactly the math we're discussing works out to healing, but 12 cp per charge did strike me as in the right ballpark at first.

Quick edit: Though if such items have 25 or 50 charges (and 25 is a decent middle-ground/upper average standard) and one of those costs 300 cp (at 12 cp per use) then that rubs my intuition as rather too expensive - that's assuming the healing value of these items means we should be running on 10, 25, and 50 charges for the items. Thinking very quickly, from an IC perspective, I'd imagine the typical PC would say, "Oh, buy a (10 charge) kit for a Halanth. Or maybe a (25 charge) kit for twoish." Something relatively affordable and sustainable for its value, though I may be being greedy - of course, a 50 charger (or something of that manner) should be a real investment, if not in finances then in inventory economy like Loreweaver suggested. But I'd need to sit and deliberately think about Loreweaver's formula's numbers more before having a good contribution on that point.

Good thinking so far, I like what you've got to say.
Play with SCAPE! Stock Character/Art Portrait Expansion Project (SCAPE)
Easy TER Play-time Scheduler! - See the thread and note your updates here.
Elijah Haller - Fuum - Havon - Ash'ma

EventHorizon

Postby EventHorizon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:41 pm

After thinking about it, I would say that the formula Loreweaver provided would allow for too wide a range of definitely too high healing values per charge [d20 + Heal) / 3 - 3] since it could allow someone to heal for bloody well up to 35 health - BUT
If we cap this at a maximum of 8 HP
only because I overlooked this part of what LW said. This basically solves it, as far as I see it, and I think we might have a winner. I'd love to hear more from others (or further from LW) before I go on to suggest discussing the minutiae of the cap (8? I like 8), the cost per charge, the variety of Treatkit sizes, the cost of each variety, and stabilization.

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Postby Loreweaver » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:13 pm

35 health would require a Heal skill of at least 94 according to that formula. I don't think that's going to happen.
Assuming 2 +2 Heal feats and both Skill Focus feats, maximized WIS and 8 levels' worth of skill ranks, you'd be at 28 Heal. Add in skill bonuses from spells, abilities and magic items and you could raise it further still; let's say you get it up to 37, you'd be entitled to 9-16 HP of healing according to the formula, if not for the cap.

Healing 9 HP would actually require a minimum of 16 Heal, meaning that a cap at 8 HP would slowly start to affect reliability and cost-effectiveness at that point. By 28 Heal, any roll of 5+ heals 8 HP.

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:35 pm

Is the Treatment Kit exclusively going to be aimed at, and designed for, the PCs that put all feats into the Heal skill? The above numbers are good to have, but I might be losing sight of the goal and considerations being done.

The idea of having a Treatment Kit that could be useful for healers (in the sense of those that invest skill points into the skill) is appealing, and certainly should encourage mundane ie. "low magic" healing, both for versatility in character options and to further cement TER's low magic focus.

I would be wary of making the Treatment Kit only usable for one character design, ie. only the PCs that have Herbalist, Devout and Greater Skill Focus (Heal). That caters to a very narrow range of PCs.

~ Copper
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)

EventHorizon

Postby EventHorizon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:51 pm

Oops yeah LW, I derped on the / 3 - 3. This is what I get for thinking and mathing on coffee and latenight energy.

To Copper Dragon:

I don't know about where the Treatkit idea is now, but the spirit of it, in my opinion, should not be that it's geared EXCLUSIVELY for Healer PCs, but that it's a fallback tool to keep up the party's health in between fights in minor increments, used ideally by PCs with at least some middling Heal skill (not necessarily any feats), but used best and most regularly/deliberately by Healer (skill) PCs.

In my mind, even with the numbers LW's talking about, as long as a PC with no or some Heal skill can at least generally squeeze out one to four healing points per charge, that's the Treatkit working as intended. Edit: But the reward for dedicated Heal skill investment seems to be (appropriately) pretty reliable max/capped healing per charge, or close to it.

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Postby Loreweaver » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:58 pm

No, it'd be available to everyone but optimized for users with a middle range of Heal skill. So low level characters with a high investment, mid level characters with an average investment, high level characters with a casual investment. Because the amount of healing is limited, the primary recipients would be low level characters, though it can also be used to keep higher level characters topped up rather than having them wait until they lose 30-odd HP before breaking out a healing kit to avoid wasting a high roll on the Heal check.

If your Heal skill is low, potions will probably be more cost-effective. If your Heal skill is high, kits will probably be more cost-effective. The main role of a Treatment kit would be filling the gap between having no Heal skill and being unable to make the most of a healing kit because the victim can only restore as many HP as they've lost, as per the original suggestion.

EventHorizon

Postby EventHorizon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:17 pm

The main role of a Treatment kit would be filling the gap between having no Heal skill and being unable to make the most of a healing kit because the victim can only restore as many HP as they've lost, as per the original suggestion.

EventHorizon

Postby EventHorizon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:04 am

So, how are people feelin.' Should we/I/Loreweaver write up a firm rough draft of what should be implemented?

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:20 am

Knowing LW, the suggestion will be worked on in their own time.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Postby Loreweaver » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:16 pm

These will be available in Outentown's shelter shortly.