Offline/Forum DMing Suggestion

For discussion, feedback, praises, criticism, concerns or suggestions on topics in Offline RP, Character Backgrounds or general roleplay.
Kilaana
Administrator, Builder, DM

Offline/Forum DMing Suggestion

Postby Kilaana » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:37 am

Dear players,

The team would like to ask if there is any sustained interest among players for Offline DMing, otherwise known as Forum DMing - where quests and storylines can be explicitly told without the use of the DM client. This means that the entirety of the RP will be done on the forum, and there are no parts that need to be completed in-game. The full story is begun and finished offline on the forum, but the consequences and rewards of these tales will be reflected as though they had been played out in-game. A new section of the forum can be opened for this and shall be named something along the likes of 'Tales Around Impiltur' (or if you have a better suggestion, bring it!).

An example of this can be seen in Anton's story. (See here: Fragmented Palace)

There are a few reasons for this:
  • Some DMs may not be comfortable with the DM client and the stress of online DMing. This gives them another option by which they can still fulfill their roles.
  • Forum DMing also allows inactive or time-constrained DMs to hold their own quests, supplements online activity and creates great forum buzz.
  • Whilst it is expected that not all players are regular forum-goers, the consequences that can surface in-game may still create a point of interest for those who spend more time in the game than checking the forum.
  • Roleplay is also not constrained to what is visible in-game. PCs have the opportunity to travel to locations that are part of Impiltur's map (and also beyond), but are not currently present in-game.
Points to note:
  • With IC forum DMing, the appropriate skillchecks and rolls are applicable and at the discretion of the presiding DM(s).
  • Of course, Offline DMing will not replace online DMing, it is merely an alternative for those who are unable to be more active online but still wish to be part of the TER scene.
If there is enough interest, the team could look into assigning dedicated forum DMs for such a thing.
“Violence is the mark of the amateur.” ― Garrett, Thief: The Dark Project

Kallian | Delorwyn Lle'quellas | Wilhemina Alencar | Zalika Maszim Zartusht
Cedric Lesàre

OldBear

Re: Offline/Forum DMing Suggestion

Postby OldBear » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:59 pm

I have an idea for Perry that I would love to explore as a player.

Brindisium

Postby Brindisium » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:05 pm

I'd be interested in this as a way to stay in touch when real life doesnt make getting online easy - and I've always enjoyed reading other peoples tales.

Perhaps there are some online services we could use to add spice to proceedings such as:

donjon; RPG Tools
http://donjon.bin.sh

Kobold Fight Club: The first rule of KFC is 'Yip, Yip!'
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

Welcome to the Roleplayer's Dice Roller, your one-stop virtual bag of dice!
https://rolz.org

or

Unseen Servant
http://unseenservant.com

Just suggestions.

Thanks!
Cheese for your crackers here!

Talisman
Builder

Postby Talisman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Oh, yeah! I've always wanted to try this! It was just always not at the top of my list. I'd definitely like to do it for Elis, at least--though Ginny could also be fun in certain lights.

Kilaana

Postby Kilaana » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Hello, and thank you to those who have responded so far. As has been mentioned, offline DMing will not replace online DMing, but it's still a great alternative to indulge in some traditional PnP-style roleplay between players and DMs.

You'll find the new forum here. Feel free to post something for your character(s), or if you prefer to discuss an idea first, contact me or one of the team.

Cedric Lesàre

Brindisium

Postby Brindisium » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks for picking this up Team. I’ll post something soon but i wanted to say please dont feel under any pressure to respond to unless you have the time and inclination and are enjoying it.

With everything going on in my own life i have found writing much much harder than it used to be. It is embarassing sometimes :s - so I better apologise now!

Im looking forward to having some fun though and i intend to see if i can draw any other people into whatever direction this takes 😀

Let the games commence

Cheers,
Brind

Kilaana

Postby Kilaana » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 am

Brindisium wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 pm
...please dont feel under any pressure to respond to unless you have the time and inclination and are enjoying it.

With everything going on in my own life i have found writing much much harder than it used to be. It is embarassing sometimes...
The charm of Offline DMing is that it can happen at any pace! Appreciated though, and I would probably have to fall under that claim myself. Regardless, I'll do my best to contribute. Writing is a great escape sometimes. First and foremost, this should be a fun thing for everyone involved.

Cedric Lesàre

Brindisium

Postby Brindisium » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:31 pm

nxGMEexB37pvjgqMChyyISo_YkEhzF8S0aKMeYoB90g.jpg
nxGMEexB37pvjgqMChyyISo_YkEhzF8S0aKMeYoB90g.jpg (90.96 KiB) Viewed 11570 times
:)

Kilaana