As the Blade leaves its scabbard

For character backgrounds and journals.
OldGrouch
DM

As the Blade leaves its scabbard

Postby OldGrouch » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:26 am

A hastily scribbled letter, left on a desk.

To Hror Bladesmile – House Bladesmile, Keczulla

Dear father,

Upon my return to your manor I was disappointed to learn that you had left for Athkatla on business already. You will be equally displeased to know that the help you had left to care for the manor in your absence was woefully inadequate. They claimed (no doubt falsely) they were not informed of my coming, nor had they prepared for my return. I have dealt with it as best I could, and left as soon as I could for Impiltur.

Your Son,

Yago
Last edited by OldGrouch on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

OldGrouch
DM

Re: As the Blade leaves its scabbard

Postby OldGrouch » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 am

A spotty letter neatly folded and pressed in a precious looking locket, arriving by caravan.

Dear Father,

I hope your business-trip in Athkatla has proven profitable. My venture thus far has been a pleasant change of scenery, and I am not displeased with the decision to take Enthan with me as a man-servant. He was the least provocative during my brief return to your manor and seemed glad to be allowed to join me on my travels.

I would ask that you send your letters to Westgate. So that by the time I arrive there, they await for me.

Your Son,

Yago

OldGrouch
DM

Postby OldGrouch » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:29 am

A creased letter, rolled up in a secure but very light-weight scroll-container, arriving by pidgeon.

Dear Father,

I have retrieved your letter in Westgate from its holdings yesterday, and I must stress my concerns regarding the people whom you put your trust in. This messenger not only lacked any form of manners or social etiquette, I also suspect he had stolen from the purse you sent for this part of the trip. I know this, because it most certainly did not have the sum described in your letter.

Nevertheless, I shall press on. Your reassurance that your holdings in Selgaunt will provide ample means to continue is enough for me to know that I shall reach Midrikaul in comfort.

I board tomorrow, and hope that you have since offered appropriate tithes to Umberlee and Valkur, that I may have an uneventful voyage. You understand that, due to my currently meagre means, I can scarcely afford to do so myself.

Your Son,

Yago

OldGrouch
DM

Postby OldGrouch » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:31 am

A hastily written letter, clearly done by a shaky hand. It arrives more than a month after the last letter. It has no date.

Dear Father,

I have arrived in Selgaunt two days ago, and while it does not hold to Athkatla in her splendour, or Esmeraltan in its leisurely accomodations, it makes a fine place to stay. My voyage has gone very well, I must say, but unfortunately that is where the good news ends.

I have long been wondering why Enthan seemed so eager to come with me, and today I have learned of his more nefarious purposes. Your servant, should he ever survive long enough to arrive at your manor, should be imprisoned and interrogated immediately. He had arranged for several ruffians to attack me during my stay in the city.

While they did not make off with more than a few souvenirs, I could clearly recognize Enthan's voice and face, as he ordered them upon me. If you examine his right hand, should he be foolish enough to return, you will find I have – during my defense – been able to injure it quite severely. As a matter of fact, I rather expect he shall have to part with it if he does not find a very capable priest before long.

I implore you father, be careful of whom you hire. This man was well-prepared and only my skills kept me from death, or serious injury. I leave for Sarshel tomorrow.

Yago