Death at the Doorstep (Warning: Spoilers for some)

For out-of-game events, wrapping up in-game adventures and rumours.
Kilaana
Administrator, Builder, DM

Death at the Doorstep (Warning: Spoilers for some)

Postby Kilaana » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:32 pm

((OOC note: The following IC conversation has been summarized for brevity))

"It is why I was not speaking so much in the tavern and on the way." Fenneken shut the door behind them and turned the key.

They had dragged the body inside, away from the drizzle of a dull Spring morning. The body was left in front of the unlit hearth, still clad in its attire whose fashion marked it as a Sarshellan. Kallian's search amongst its pockets turned up little, but she reckoned it wouldn't be long before its family or somesuch came looking.

"Thanks for the tea," she looked around at Fenneken's cottage. The smell in here was odd, just like the tea. Just like its inhabitant. But not altogether unpleasant. She had a good hand with the plants, of course. The blooms under the window were a shade of brilliant blue. She did not know much about Fenneken, but then neither did anyone else, she suspected. However, trouble had a way of paving the way towards friendship - if it could be called that - more than a mere convenience sometimes.

"Do you want me to notify the authorities? I could talk to Jerek." She offered.

"If you can trust him," Fenneken replied, tapping the arm of her rocking chair as it swung back and forth. "It has been long, he may or may not be the same person as you know him. Let me see what I can tell of this one's death. It should take me a day or two. Meanwhile, you can watch...in the City, yes?"

"Of course. I can keep a secret."

"Maybe, but I think in the end it is in my best interest to not keep this a secret."

“Violence is the mark of the amateur.” ― Garrett, Thief: The Dark Project

Kallian | Delorwyn Lle'quellas | Wilhemina Alencar | Zalika Maszim Zartusht
Cedric Lesàre

Kerstman

Re: Death at the Doorstep (Warning: Spoilers for some)

Postby Kerstman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Fenneken remains seated in her rocking chair after Kallian has left the cottage. For a long while the black-haired halfelf stares at the corpse which lies next to the unlit fireplace. Looking at the lifeless remains, but not focussing on it. She lets go of the control over her thoughts and allows them to wander off in her blurry maze of memories and imagination. If anyone would ask her what she is thinking of, she'd not know the answer. It does not matter anyway. In a way Fenneken is resting in an awake state while there is this corpse of an unknown local man in her house.

After several hours, or possibly a full day she slowly rises from her absent state and stands up from the chair. The motion itself being accompanied by a few cracking sounds coming from her joints. As if her ankles and elbows let out a waking yawn. She approaches the cold body and places three slender fingers of one hand on the man's forehead. Her touch is not much warmer than the temperature of the lifeless body itself. Fenneken closes her eyes and shudders slightly. Then she simply sits there for a while in the same position. Deeply focussing on any ethereal presence lingering in the air which is related to this happening.

//OOC : concentration roll :
Spoiler:
18+20=38 (with Spirit Guide ability enabled)
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:19 pm

The man's corpse discovered near the Witch's porch is your file-and-rank Sarshellan citizen. Clearly on the lower end of the social hierarchy, he harbours dirty brown hair combed in a crude way into a plain topknot. The man's flesh is pallid, almost white, which is in sharp contrast to the peasant and labourer's outdoors life maintained usually by such individuals.
Upon closer scrutiny, his right wrist appears to bear nasty, extremely sharp and very very tight bite marks. A ring of pure black has formed around the horrible mark, the hand barely dangling in place with the rest of the arm. The man, in his late 20s, bears the expression of someone truly mortified, the sheer despair of his last moments depicted fully on his face.

For Fenneken:
Spoiler:
Your supernatural affinity with the esoteric doings of psyche and soul alike reveal only a primeval, twisted sense of undiluted dread. Whatever or whomever killed this hapless soul has feasted on his terror. Literally.
For both Kallian and Fenneken
(Heal check to learn more about the corpse's condition)
(Nature check to learn more about any beast that could potentially inflict such a wound)
(or any other IC proposal of the involved PCs)
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Kilaana

Postby Kilaana » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Perched rather precariously on a ledge high above the city, Kallian rested her chin between the crook of both knees, mulling over the strange marks that had been found on the body. Somewhere below, perhaps, a loss mourned by the man's family. Don't think too much about that, They'd always say. In any case, there was no trail to begin with. He held no personal possessions, and had a face of the common man.

The expression on the man's face made her skin crawl at the memory of it. Kallian wondered vaguely if he hadn't had any time at all to beg for mercy. Those were the worst. Those who pleaded for another chance, and made promises they couldn't really keep just to live another moment longer. Their terror felt good sometimes. She felt memories of such power pulse faintly in her gloved hands before fading to nothingness again. Well, no more, she chided herself harshly. No more of such things.

But this man's sheer, damning terror... this was entirely different.

There was nothing here to find in the City, Kallian decided. She leaned back against an ancient chimney, sheltered within its shadow, and passed into reverie till it was time to hear what Fenneken had to say.

((OOC note: No Heal or Nature checks made for this character as these do not apply to her.))

Cedric Lesàre

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Fenneken slowly draws the conclusion of her investigation to what happened to the man. She frees the corpse of her touch and looks it over. Inspecting the facial expression and the wounds she manages to notice. Second-hand knowledge to her is irrelevant. What matters is that what is learnt from own experiences. Yes, she has seen many an injury on herself and on others. Both friend and foe. But no sane person would ask her to treat a serious wound. Having grown up in a rather wild environment she is no stranger to the ways of nature, but she'd never be an expert. Nevertheless she will find out if she can tell anything else by simply using the more basic senses.

// Rolls
Spoiler:
Heal check : 2+1=3
Nature check : 11+2=13
Afterwards Fenneken changes into a different robe and she heads for Sarshel. The bard Alistair is performing tonight and while this does not interest her greatly, it may be an opportunity to meet friends whom she has not spoken to for a while. Kallian may also be there and if not Fenneken shall look for the city elf.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:33 am

The Wytch's affinities and sensibilities lie between two worlds and many realities. The corpse's profound dismay and raw terror of the mortified victim have destabilized her, the ferocity of the emotions causing her mind to swim for a moment and her senses are assaulted by a single, burning image.

A series of pyramids, ancient beyond belief. Corrupt stone, tainted by the blood of a thousand slaves and the screams of even more victims... Throngs of bloodthirsty, debased Humans, barely clad are engaged in a frenzied, tainted dance in the stiffling heat caused by a cascade of filth-ridden lava oozing out of the pyramids at impossible angles and corners. Every now and then, one of the orgiastic partakers falls into their doom to the lava pits below, much to the joy of those close to them and the blatant indifference of everyone else. Someone-- no, SOMETHING is looking back--

Spoiler:
The Wytch comes back to her senses, gasping for breath as if just awoken from a terrible nightmare.
Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Kilaana

Postby Kilaana » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Reverie did not come in the way she anticipated. Kallian roused herself from a series of fitful, meaningless half-dreams, gathered her meagre belongings and left.

//Rolls:
Spoiler:
Search - 21
Perception - 12
Sense Motive - 9
Stealth - 22
Knowledge: Local - 23
Diplomacy - 16

Cedric Lesàre

Holy_Rage

Postby Holy_Rage » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:36 pm

For an Elf, Kallian surely knew her way around Sarshel. Time and the consistent buying of supplies have made the Elf a recogniseable, even reluctantly welcome sight, whose appearance usually meant profit and the appearance of exotic, hard-to-find wares. Her words were carefully listened to and as such matters have it, they travelled swiftly.

And reach the proper ears, they did. Or so it seems at least. A particularly taciturn and usually tight-lipped leatherworker, Mondast of the Barking Needle grimly announced to her his nephew's loss, upon mending a score of new holes and tears of her boots. The young man was a shy loner, much like his uncle. But he loved horses and he traveled often to the nearby farms, stitching and mending and fixing straps and saddles alike, straightening reins and doing the occasional chore.

His nephew's name was Thondyn. After a few further polite inquiries by Kallian, the grief-stricken man only told her that the boy seemed unusually enthusiastic the last couple of months. Thondyn kept talking about the sonorous music made by a black lute and its player. Mondast, never having an ear for music himself, admits himself at a frank loss.

With a typical dour shrug, he returned to his duties, excusing himself in unusual haste.
Spoiler:

Mondast, Leatherworker of Sarshel

Current PCs:
Hróin | Ygrak Ironflame

Copper Dragon

Postby Copper Dragon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:44 pm

At the cottage that smelled of freshly cut herbs, woodsmoke, and - uncharacteristically - of pungent decay, more visitors have come. This time it was a gold-haired Lathanderite dressed in ornate platemail and cloak, who was following the lead of the cottage's owner; a witch some would say.

Ignorant of Kallian's search and findings in the city, the Lathanderite Dawnmaster prayed over the man's soul before proceeding to inspect the corpse.

Spoiler:
When examining, Fenneken and Artemis witnessed the body opening its mouth, a putrid unnatural stench escaping it, and more putrid words right after. Neither of them could identify the dry voice's message, or even language, though they recognised some words - Daemon; Nar; Ilmater.
Dawnmaster Artemis D'Assanthe then promised she would go to Outentown, the nearest settlement, and have a cart rented to take away the body from the cottage - what little could be learned from it, has been learned, and the remains needed peace.

Aside from having the body transported and buried according to Impilturan customs, D'Assanthe would turn for advice to whom she considers a knowledgeable and trustworthy source, and a friend perhaps, namely Garrmin of the Broken God. The remains must be sanctified, she claims, preferably not only by the Morninglord but He Who Bears All Burdens Ilmater, too, and D'Assanthe would tell brother Garrmin of the ominous shards of a message that came from the body - a warning perhaps, or a plea for Ilmater's sweet touch of relief.

Lastly, she'd send a courier with a written message to Lord Nassour, protector of Outentown, as a precaution. Something foul has been afoot near his people, and an increased patrol of Warswords and Knights of the Most Holy Order (if such can be spared this spring) would be her most urgent advice.

Hopefully, in the morning's light, the path to solving this foul mystery would glow clear, and soon.
Plays:
Artemis D'Assanthe, Dawnmaster
Udhana, the Kinless
Dhovainithil, Silver Elf
Jhasira of the Bai Kabor, Dawnbringer (deceased)

Kilaana

Postby Kilaana » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:07 pm

A letter written upon a piece of parchment slightly damp from the rain, is delivered to the Halls of Prosperity in Sarshel's Old Quarter. The handwriting is slanted, sprawling across the page as if done in a hurry.
Spoiler:

Lady d'Assanthe,

Upon hearing of developments with the body of which has come under your attendance along with F., I am informed that it is safe to contact you henceforth. It was I whom our mutual friend came to at first, after its discovery, and I had promised to search for answers as to whom the unfortunate soul might be. It was no small effort, but I think it is now possible to know who this might be.

One of the many leatherworkers in the Old Quarter - Mondast of the Barking Needle - has lost his nephew. Perhaps you might have heard of the shop, at least. The young man's name was Thondyn, who often travelled outside the City walls to mend saddle harnesses in the villages. I am told that he, like his uncle, was shy and rather quiet, but in recent months had taken a fascination with music. In particular, a sort of deep, resounding music that was played using a black lute.

I have promised F. that I will make further enquiries, but perhaps the identity of this young man may at last be relayed to the ones who will offer him his last rites.

Should you need to find me, leave a message with your man at the Halls of Prosperity, and we shall meet.

- Kallian

Another letter in a similar handwriting is dispatched to a shophouse in Sarshel's wealthier district to the south, addressed to the mage widely known as Lori Peveril.
Spoiler:

Lady Peveril,

I am making an enquiry on behalf of an acquaintance who is rather interested in the local cultural scene. He is quite fond of music, particularly of the kind that is played on a black lute. I presume this refers to some kind of special hardwood that goes into its making, but it is merely a guess.

I've heard that you are well connected with one Mr. A. Dryden, I wondered if he might advise us?

Please leave word for me at the Sailor's Star, should you like to meet.

- Kallian

Cedric Lesàre